Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read it again. It said “...other family members, or their teams...”. The plural and order are what led me to read as other family members’ teams.

I reread it too, and I think you are correct. The insertion of a comma after "family members" read to me as though the "their teams" had nothing to do with the family members and instead was a reference to their own (H and M's) team. It was bad phrasing, though, so I also see why I misread it.

Thanks for posting that, Maia Mia. That was very interesting, and, although I take everything that any RR says with a grain of salt, this version of the current state of affairs seems likely to be much closer to the truth than any of the wild and insulting speculation we saw from The Times and other papers.

The one comment that did stand out a bit to me was this: "Aside from the Queen and Prince Charles, they’re not looking to other family members, or their teams, for guidance.” If that is true, it makes them sound a little--looking for the right word here--headstrong? arrogant? The not taking input from family members sounds reasonable, although I'm sure they are both aware that at some point, hopefully far in the future, William will indeed have the final say in anything they propose to do. The not taking input from their teams makes me wonder why not? If they aren't open to advice or feedback, that seems an inherently risky position to take. I hope the friend who made that comment didn't mean it the way it sounded.

One thing I've come to realize is that no matter who the reporter is or who their sources are (named and unnamed), they will never have a full, complete story about the inner workings of the "Firm", its plans or its methods of operation. We get blips here and pieces there and it gets spun into something totally different than what it really is.

Things are changing to adapt to the upcoming and inevitable new reign with Charles taking on more and more with his mother and hence why, in my mind, it could be stated that Charles is very much monarch-in-training. HM seems to be intent that her precious monarchy enters the new reign as smoothly as possible.

HM has entrusted The Queen's Commonwealth Trust for Harry and Meghan to carry into the future and Harry is a Youth Ambassador to the Commonwealth and Meghan is patron of the Association of Commonwealth Universities. This is pretty much a clear cut clue as to a dedication to the Commonwealth going into the future.

With the office and staff of the Sussexes now moving into BP, its become its own entity within the Firm and much easier to cater solely to the needs of Harry and Meghan, the work they do, the work they want to do and focus on their goals exclusively. Just as William and Kate's will do for them and Andrew for his and Anne's for her. The Queen and Charles are the hub of the operation. Until the Queen dies, Charles is still footing the bill for expenses of the Sussex couple and with them already in place at BP, they're already ensconced for when Charles becomes the monarch and they'll continue to be supported by Charles. William and his family, as its separate entity now is preparing the household to be financed by the Duchy of Cornwall and concentrate solely on the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall (and Cambridge)'s affairs and focus on where they're going.

It seems so very odd to us to see all this moving and shaking and relocating and the rumors have abounded to the nth degree. One thing I haven't really seen anyone mention at all is its all preparation more so than it is anything else. Just as Harry and Meghan have prepared for the birth of their first child and have moved into a family home, so are things being done ahead of time to ensure that the monarchy's "Firm" runs like a well oiled machine.

Remember too that at one time, it was the norm for Charles and Anne to do a lot of things together. As their roles grew, they also went their on their own separate paths with their own separate offices. Its now happening with William and Harry and the culprit is they're both taking on more and more as full time working royals for the "Firm" with different aims and different goals and in different directions. They can cover more that way. :D

Except when you read the article there’s no specifics and it’s still “early days”.

As I said in the other thread, the devil will be in the details. A foundation can be something as simple as a piece of paper. We’ll have to wait and see.

It doesn’t sound promising to me.

I have no doubt they’ll do great things together.

Harry has already proven himself with Sentebale and IG. Sentebale was established when he was a young man and is now a fully operational charity on its own. IG continues to do great things in offering injured soldiers a purpose and something to work towards.

Meghan is quite creative and doesn’t just confine herself to the same ole same ole. Together has seen great success and have not only reached its goals, but have empowered the women of Hubb to branch out in their own causes. It was not only a great project to benefit Hubb, but self sufficient.

I’ve always admired their work. And now it’ll be exciting to witness their work together in the future.

Except when you read the article there’s no specifics and it’s still “early days”.

As I said in the other thread, the devil will be in the details. A foundation can be something as simple as a piece of paper. We’ll have to wait and see.

It is in it’s early days. It takes time to set up a charitable foundation. They should be excited to start this new journey. The details will be released once they’re ready to release it.

The devil is in the details, and after having a careful look through of the financial statements of 2018-2019 of the Royal Foundation, I would say H&M are getting out just in the nick of time. There were "certain" projects that were not generating much income and was actually taking money from other projects to keep afloat. It's a long report but it's important to do your own due diligences and read through the report carefully. Here is a copy.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends48/0001132048_AC_20181231_E_C.PDF

Personally, I hope that the individual projects from H&M goes with them to their new foundation, and that they focus on one 1 or 2 individual projects that requires serious fundraising in a year instead of just listing off a bunch initiatives just to say that they have something to do.

:previous: Yes I agree. It would be much better to branch out and concentrate on a couple of initiatives than have a scattering of ventures. I hope at least one assists British people, otherwise there might well be more criticism.

I'm delighted that the Sussexes are on their own and I'm sure they're delighted at the prospect of new endeavours. I hope the new Foundation will be given a chance by the media though, and there won't be immediate comparisons about donations etc. The new Foundation needs at least a year of full operation before praise or criticism.

:previous: Yes I agree. It would be much better to branch out and concentrate on a couple of initiatives than have a scattering of ventures. I hope at least one assists British people, otherwise there might well be more criticism.

I'm delighted that the Sussexes are on their own and I'm sure they're delighted at the prospect of new endeavours. I hope the new Foundation will be given a chance by the media though, and there won't be immediate comparisons about donations etc. The new Foundation needs at least a year of full operation before praise or criticism.

Completely agree. It would be great if they start with 2 projects (1 British and 1 Commonwealth). It would also be interesting in how they go about fund-raising. So far, they have done really well, ie. the cookbook that is still selling on Amazon, but the numbers are only through the end of December 2018. The Endeavor fund and Invictus also does well in the fundraising department, but I still think they are going to need to really zero in and focus, especially the first year overhead cost which is what could make or break any charity.

I do wonder how they are going to do the start up. They are going to need some serious backing to get this off the ground.

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't both Harry and William originally invest a portion of their trust from Diana in the Foundation? I'm not sure.

The devil is in the details, and after having a careful look through of the financial statements of 2018-2019 of the Royal Foundation, I would say H&M are getting out just in the nick of time. There were "certain" projects that were not generating much income and was actually taking money from other projects to keep afloat. It's a long report but it's important to do your own due diligences and read through the report carefully. Here is a copy.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends48/0001132048_AC_20181231_E_C.PDF

Personally, I hope that the individual projects from H&M goes with them to their new foundation, and that they focus on one 1 or 2 individual projects that requires serious fundraising in a year instead of just listing off a bunch initiatives just to say that they have something to do.

Oh that report was a very interesting read. I think it probably is the best thing for all parties to have a fresh start.

I don’t think any of Queen Elizabeth ‘s younger children have their own foundation even though they are involved with different charities. How common is that or is it a first for a younger son or brother of the King ?

I am glad Harry and Meghan want to make a mark with their philanthropic work, but setting up a foundation of their own strikes me again as the Duke and Duchess trying to have a higher profile than they would otherwise be entitled to based on their rank and precedence within the Royal Family.

I didn't think the Queen's other children had any based on common knowledge either, but looking into it they actually do.

Just like the Prince's Trust for Charles, there's the Princess Royal Trust for Carers, the Prince Andrew Charitable Trust and the Wessex Youth Trust, for each respective sibling of Charles.

I didn't think the Queen's other children had any based on common knowledge either, but looking into it they actually do.

Just like the Prince's Trust for Charles, there's the Princess Royal Trust for Carers, the Prince Andrew Charitable Trust and the Wessex Youth Trust, for each respective sibling of Charles.

OK, I take back what I said then.

By the way Harry has done good work with Sentabale and Invictus but do not kid yourselves that he was doing all the work, yes he has been a fantastic figure head and magnet for fund raising, as they all are. He didnt do it all on his own. He had advice and guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way Harry has done good work with Sentabale and Invictus but do not kid yourselves that he was doing all the work, yes he has been a fantastic figure head and magnet for fund raising, as they all are. He didnt do it all on his own. He had advice and guidance.

That is how it normally works. The royals are the public face of their foundations/trusts for PR and fundraising purposes, but the day-to-day running of the charity is best left to trustees and professional administrators.

There are a few royals like Mary Donaldson or Máxima Zorreguieta who actually have a professional background in commerce or finance, but that is not case of Charles' sons.

While there are always people working behind the scene, it’s unfair to say Harry shouldn’t be given the credit he is due. It’s often been said that he’s very involved in getting both of those organization started off and running. Especially at the beginning. And certainly he seems to enjoy a lot of success in setting up Sentebale and IG. Not all charity or cause becomes successful just because it has the support of a famous face.

Fondations, Trusts are means to support personal charitable endeavors. The primary role of members of the Firm is to support the monarch. Right now everybody is supporting the Queen in their own capacities. Harry's role is not to support is brother. In due time, he will support his father the next monarch in the same capacity.
After that things are getting fuzzy and tricky. If things remain the same, by that I mean the overall atmosphere, I predict that he will exit the BRF and settle elsewhere maybe the States. He is not about to stand idle while his family is gratuitously attacked.

Fondations, Trusts are means to support personal charitable endeavors. The primary role of members of the Firm is to support the monarch. Right now everybody is supporting the Queen in their own capacities. Harry's role is not to support is brother. In due time, he will support his father the next monarch in the same capacity.
After that things are getting fuzzy and tricky. If things remain the same, by that I mean the overall atmosphere, I predict that he will exit the BRF and settle elsewhere maybe the States. He is not about to stand idle while his family is gratuitously attacked.

Where do you get this idea that he will leave the RF and settle overseas ? That is highly unlikely in my opinion.

In the good old days, they could make him Governor General of Canada (like the Duke of Connaught) or of Australia (like the Duke of Gloucester), but of course that is not possible anymore. And he cannot renounce his place in the line of succession unilaterally, other than by converting to Roman Catholicism. In order to exclude Harry and his descendants from the line of succession, an act of the UK Parliament and consent of the Commonwealth realms would be needed.

Where do you get this idea that he will leave the RF and settle overseas ? That is highly unlikely in my opinion.

In the good old days, they could make him Governor General of Canada (like the Duke of Connaught) or of Australia (like the Duke of Gloucester), but of course that is not possible anymore. And he cannot renounce his place in the line of succession unilaterally, other than by converting to Roman Catholicism. In order to exclude Harry and his descendants from the line of succession, an act of the UK Parliament and consent of the Commonwealth realms would be needed.

Last time I checked he is an human being with free will. Just like you think it is highly unlikely in your opinion, my opinion is on the contrary. It has nothing to do with line of succession et al. When one is fed up, and one wants to protect one's family, one acts. I truly believe Harry is the type of person to say darn it, enough, pack his family and move on greener pastures

Last time I checked he is an human being with free will. Just like you think it is highly unlikely in your opinion, my opinion is on the contrary. It has nothing to do with line of succession et al. When one is fed up, and one wants to protect one's family, one acts. I truly believe Harry is the type of person to say darn it, enough, pack his family and move on greener pastures

His family is far more protected as members of the Royal House than they would be as private citizens. And, if Harry and Meghan want to become powerhouses in philanthropy, it is much easier to do it as HRHs than as ex-royals.

Harry has to accept, however, that William will be his sovereign one day if they both survive their father. He will most likely have to kiss William's hand the moment their father passes way and will have to kneel and swear allegiance to him on the day of William's coronation. That is how hereditary succession by order of primogeniture works. Right now, William knows his place and respects the hierarchy leaving decisions on Harry's future role and duties to the Queen and the Prince of Wales, but, as William gets closer to the throne, it is natural that he will be also consulted on Harry's projects. If Harry or Meghan are not comfortable with that, then I agree they should leave.

Last edited:
His family is far more protected as members of the Royal House than they would be as private citizens. And, if Harry and Meghan want to become powerhouses in philanthropy, it is much easier to do it as HRHs than as ex-royals.

Harry has to accept, however, that William will be his sovereign one day if they both survive their father. He will most likely have to kiss William's hand the moment their father passes way and will have to kneel and swear allegiance to him on the day of William's coronation. That is how hereditary succession by order of primogeniture works. Right now, William knows his place and respects the hierarchy leaving decisions on Harry's future role and duties to the Queen and the Prince of Wales, but, as William gets closer to the throne, it is natural that he will be also consulted on Harry's projects. If Harry or Meghan are not comfortable with that, then I agree they should leave.

I could not agree more with you.

Where has there been any indication that Harry doesn’t understand or accept William will one day be king? However, what people seem to forget is that, in this day and age, the relationship requires efforts and compromise from both the one that will be king and the one that will not be. Otherwise, it won’t turn out well for either. In the days where people no longer believe a king is by divine will, monarchy can’t operate in a my way or high way scenario. I still think it’s best for both brothers to put aside their differences, but make no mistake, this is in both of the best interest. Not just Harry.

Mbruno makes some very good points. There's been a lot of (heated) discussion over how the big change in the brothers' relationship in the last couple of years has been the inclusion of Meghan in the family, and while that's true, there is plenty of evidence, based on her past relationships with friends and coworkers, that she is a warm and loyal person. It seems unlikely to me that if there is friction, that it originates with her, although it's possible. It has seemed to me that a larger, and potentially more upsetting change has been William being clearly moved into the heir to the heir position: he is filling in more and more for the Queen, he is being included in the Duchy of Lancaster business, and so on. Although of course Harry has always known that William will one day be king, there's a huge difference between knowing something with your head, and actually seeing it play out, and beginning to realize in a visceral way how it will affect you, your family, and your goals.

It's an interesting point to ponder, anyway, and makes more sense to me than some of the other overblown speculation.

Mbruno makes some very good points. There's been a lot of (heated) discussion over how the big change in the brothers' relationship in the last couple of years has been the inclusion of Meghan in the family, and while that's true, there is plenty of evidence, based on her past relationships with friends and coworkers, that she is a warm and loyal person. It seems unlikely to me that if there is friction, that it originates with her, although it's possible. It has seemed to me that a larger, and potentially more upsetting change has been William being clearly moved into the heir to the heir position: he is filling in more and more for the Queen, he is being included in the Duchy of Lancaster business, and so on. Although of course Harry has always known that William will one day be king, there's a huge difference between knowing something with your head, and actually seeing it play out, and beginning to realize in a visceral way how it will affect you, your family, and your goals.

It's an interesting point to ponder, anyway, and makes more sense to me than some of the other overblown speculation.

At the end of the day, I don’t think it’s really about one being envious of another as both roles have pros and cons. It’s about finding your own calling. And when I say that, it’s not just about being king or not, but what you want to do with what you have. About putting your own stamp even if you have to overcome hurdles. Just like their father had to. Many would’ve thought his purpose is to be king, a role that he has waited longer than anyone else in history for, but he’s certainly done far more than waiting 70+ years.

At the end of the day, I don’t think it’s really about one being envious of another as both roles have pros and cons. It’s about finding your own calling. And when I say that, it’s not just about being king or not, but what you want to do with what you have. About putting your own stamp even if you have to overcome hurdles. Just like their father had to. Many would’ve thought his purpose is to be king, a role that he has waited longer than anyone else in history for, but he’s certainly done far more than waiting 70+ years.

You said it the way I wanted. When people say, William is taking on a much restrictive role because he's a future King, well that's not really true at all. We are already in the modern era and even the BRF is embracing change. Prince Charles didn't see his role as restrictive, in fact, to date he is still one of the most hardworking heirs and had to be the face of change when he founded Prince Charles Foundation in 1979 when BRF is still as traditional.
I agree that Prince Harry is the embodiment of this "embracing change" of Prince Charles. Prince Harry was 22 when he founded Sentebale with Prince Seeiso that aims to support children with HIV (which was a very sensitive topic that time) among others. He also founded the Invictus Games in 2014. With Meghan, who has the same passion, they both are indestructible. Prior to her marriage, Meghan helped and supported the women of Grenfell Tower to produce a cook book which is a worldwide bestseller right now.
Harry knows his place in the BRF but makes the most out of it.

I think the Queen and PoW were in full agreement in how The Cambridges have been allowed to slowly build up to being full time working royals and how they are now able to focus so much on raising the children. I think the Sussexes will be given the same options with their children.

They learned from past situations IMO.

LaRae

I think the Queen and PoW were in full agreement in how The Cambridges have been allowed to slowly build up to being full time working royals and how they are now able to focus so much on raising the children. I think the Sussexes will be given the same options with their children.

They learned from past situations IMO.

LaRae

While I think there can be more balance (the majority of other families in the world seem to make it work). But if the Cambridges want to focus the majority of their time on the children that's fine, however the Sussexes should not be held back for fear of out shining a future king because of it. The Sussexes clearly have the drive, passion and willingness to do more now and are finding a balance in their work/family lives.

Jane from Berkshire to Buckingham has her take on it. Yes it’s a Cambridge blog but people post links to ‘Mad about Meghan’ all the time.

Splitting the Royal Foundation, though, might not be enough to ease the tension. The issue is very simple. Harry and Meghan appear to be attempting to forge a path that isn't proper to their role.

Meghan was an actress who was working very hard to become a star when she met Harry. The problem is, she took a part in a lifelong drama of which she can never be the leading lady. She chose that, and kudos to her. If she loved Harry, I am glad she didn't let anything stand in her way. People and relationships are the most important things in life. Meghan didn't have to marry into the Firm.

Chelsy Davy, who clearly loved Harry, couldn't take the plunge. She didn't want to live her life in a fishbowl, so she walked away. Meghan's problem is the opposite. She is very comfortable with the fishbowl; in fact, she has actively sought it for the entirety of her adult life. Her problem is on the other end of the spectrum, and that is she can't advance beyond the role she has chosen.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, a global Sussex brand isn't what the monarchy is about. There is no global York brand, or global Princess Anne brand. The royals who aren't in direct line play supporting roles...forever. Meghan is the Duchess of Sussex, her spouse is a popular prince, but his position in the BRF will drop, and his star will inevitably fade as the years roll on. See, e.g. Prince Andrew.

The tug-of-war between the Cambridges and the Sussexes comes down to a power struggle--the outcome of which has already been decided: William and Kate are the winners. But, how Meghan and Harry finish has yet to be determined.

More: What Does the Royal Foundation Split Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom