Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William and Harry don’t play games for the press. I cannot see either of them doing something for the sake of photos, even if it would look good.

I think there is tension, but that it is what the Palace said before, normal growing pains when roles and lives change. William had influence over his younger brother all his life. Then Meghan came along and her influence over Harry is stronger now. They may have had a disagreement over something, but William is stubborn and when it comes to Meghan I think Harry can be also. Yes, I’m speculating but it is based on observing family dynamics in other families over the years.
Agree 100%
I would be surprised if there weren't any tensions.
But maybe they need to be dealt with differently or at least not being underestimated in the current tabloid climate.

About an hour ago Victoria Arbiter was on CNN in the US talking about Baby Sussex, the British press griping about no presentation, potential names and the Africa move. Arbiter mentioned the queen and Philip lived in Malta for a couple of years and William and Kate living in Anseley.

When the Queen and Prince Philip lived in Malta, Prince Philip was a Naval Officer stationed there. And back then, the King of England was the head of state in Malta.

William was stationed near Anseley (which is in UK), when he and Kate lived there.

Both couples were not uprooted and shipped outside of British Empire.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I know, Harry and William have always been extremely close. Sure, they have their moments with each other. That’s how siblings are. I just don’t know why they’re not at least trying to smash the story about them and their wives. The effort isn’t being made at all.

When the Queen and Prince Philip lived in Malta, Prince Philip was a Naval Officer stationed there. And back then, the King of England was the head of state in Malta.

William was stationed near Anseley (which is in UK), when he and Kate lived there.

Both couples were not uprooted and shipped outside of British Empire.

And it’s not going to happen now. What I’m getting out of this story? A royal tour or work based projects that they will make several trips to launch and look after. The royals do working trips often. The press is using the idea of tensions between the couples to base their story.

The PR side of their household separation was not handled properly. It gave too much room for an unwanted spin to be made out of it. None of it has ever been corrected.

Last edited:
It’s interesting to see some of the spin this morning. Some of them aren’t even trying to look like they are sticking to both side of the story. They are at the point of playing blindness to certain things while twisting another side. Or even saying they have sources say that it’s Harry and Meghan that want to go. Just pretend like the original story is Harry and Meghan want to go (it wasn’t) and how their idea is problematic.

Last edited:
The supposed Africa proposal really does sound to me like something that Harry would enjoy in an ideal world. As a single man with only part-time royal responsibilities, he repeatedly used his personal time to spend a month or so at a time volunteering on the continent. It’s one of the main focuses of the work he chooses to do when given the freedom to do whatever he wants.

But so many things point to the idea that this is a plan still in brainstorming phase. Perhaps the idea was to come up with a “blue sky” plan as a starting point for strategizing. In other words, momentarily set aside thoughts of visas, concerns about optics, the demands of the annual royal schedule, the practicalities of having young kids in the mix, etc. and just dream up a perfect-world situation that would build on the couple’s interests and skills to their fullest. Then take that idea, put it through the filters of practicalities and sensibilities, and see what pieces actually could remain as a realistic strategy.

It just feels to me like a lower level staffer caught wind of ideas being tossed about in their earliest, most imperfect state and then ran off to the Times and caused a mess.

The supposed Africa proposal really does sound to me like something that Harry would enjoy in an ideal world. As a single man with only part-time royal responsibilities, he repeatedly used his personal time to spend a month or so at a time volunteering on the continent. It’s one of the main focuses of the work he chooses to do when given the freedom to do whatever he wants.

But so many things point to the idea that this is a plan still in brainstorming phase. Perhaps the idea was to come up with a “blue sky” plan as a starting point for strategizing. In other words, momentarily set aside thoughts of visas, concerns about optics, the demands of the annual royal schedule, the practicalities of having young kids in the mix, etc. and just dream up a perfect-world situation that would build on the couple’s interests and skills to their fullest. Then take that idea, put it through the filters of practicalities and sensibilities, and see what pieces actually could remain as a realistic strategy.

It just feels to me like a lower level staffer caught wind of ideas being tossed about in their earliest, most imperfect state and then ran off to the Times and caused a mess.

Feels like more than that to me. The original Times story made absolutely no menton of this being something Harry or Meghan wanted. It was billed as the exact opposite.

With a new baby and a wife who is not yet a citizen, I don't think he ever wanted or planned to spend a few months away from home, let alone a few years.

Feels like more than that to me. The original Times story made absolutely no menton of this being something Harry or Meghan wanted. It was billed as the exact opposite.

With a new baby and a wife who is not yet a citizen, I don't think he ever wanted or planned to spend a few months away from home, let alone a few years.

Yeah, but how much comes from editorializing and sit-connecting by a biased reporter? From my reading of the article, all it most. All they can say strongly about the plan is that it was a proposal originally drafted by a couple of people who were in a position to help with strategizing. And then, separately, it goes off in the direction of gossiping about a falling out, trying to come up with reasons why a plan might exist, etc.

I buy that the brothers are having a rough spell, as sometimes happens with siblings. But royal staffers who blab and the reporters to whom they leak have a long history of exaggerating interfamily conflicts and twisting kernels of truth into huge, overblown messes that are mostly supposition.

I agree with loonytick, this does sound like something Harry would have really enjoyed. I said as much yesterday. However, his life is now much more complicated and his father is much closer to being King which also complicates matters.

Yeah, but how much comes from editorializing and sit-connecting by a biased reporter? From my reading of the article, all it most. All they can say strongly about the plan is that it was a proposal originally drafted by a couple of people who were in a position to help with strategizing. And then, separately, it goes off in the direction of gossiping about a falling out, trying to come up with reasons why a plan might exist, etc.

I buy that the brothers are having a rough spell, as sometimes happens with siblings. But royal staffers who blab and the reporters to whom they leak have a long history of exaggerating interfamily conflicts and twisting kernels of truth into huge, overblown messes that are mostly supposition.

The author of the Times piece is not someone I would describe as a biased reporter. He doesn't normally cover the royals and certainly seems to have more credibility than those who are now claiming that it was Harry's idea.

All they can say strongly about the plan is that it was a proposal originally drafted by a couple of people who were in a position to help with strategizing. And then, separately, it goes off in the direction of gossiping about a falling out, trying to come up with reasons why a plan might exist, etc.

I agree.

Reporters and low level (not really in the know) staffers take things out of context and juxtapose with other things or embellish to make a story that doesn't necessarily resemble fact.

The author of the Times piece is not someone I would describe as a biased reporter. He doesn't normally cover the royals and certainly seems to have more credibility than those who are now claiming that it was Harry's idea.

Yes. I do struggle with that. For Times to splash it out as their main headline and then it came from someone that is not one to use petty gossip just to fill column inches.

I agree with all of this. The verified facts are very thin on the ground and boil down to what BP has confirmed: that some kind of Commonwealth oriented project has been discussed, and nothing will be decided for at least a year. That's all we know.

The willingness of the press to make assumptions about William's and Charles's intentions is making this a much larger issue and problem than it needs to be, and also unfortunately highlights the potential that Harry and Meghan have to be a huge liability for the BRF. If everything about them turns into a William vs. Harry and Meghan narrative, then they are no longer an asset to the BRF. I've been worried about this for quite a while, and would hate to see things go in that direction.

If there is tension between the brothers, they need to get that under control very quickly before they end up in another War of the Wales drama. That would not be a good thing for anyone.

I agree that Cambridge vs Sussex needs to stop but that is up to all parties. If this continues and gets worse than it will be very bad for the BRF. There is a lot of goodwill toward them right now but that can disappear very quickly.

Am I wrong or wasn't it once reported (so take with as much truth as these reports) that Harry wanted to move to Africa to do charity work? He did (again, reported) propose in Africa so maybe they love it there and want to spend some time there.

Maybe he and Meghan want to do something like is being reported, it doesn't have to mean they are being banished if the Household are simply supporting them in doing something.

Am I wrong or wasn't it once reported (so take with as much truth as these reports) that Harry wanted to move to Africa to do charity work? He did (again, reported) propose in Africa so maybe they love it there and want to spend some time there.

Maybe he and Meghan want to do something like is being reported, it doesn't have to mean they are being banished if the Household are simply supporting them in doing something.

You are not wrong. He did express that wish at one time.

I agree with you, but that was not the original story that came out in The Times. The original story was that H&M could possible be shipped off to Africa because that's what the courtiers and ministers were drawing up. That it was also a way to take attention from them and put it else where.

NOW...if the Times had reported that H&M were going to spend time in different Commonwealth realms promoting Britain, no one would have batted an eye. In fact, Hannah Furness' piece in the Telegraph was how this information should have been released initially. Now everything that is coming down from reporters seems like spin and clean-up of the original Roya and Shipman pieces in the time.

Harry also wanted to get away from his position at one point. I hardly think we can apply what someone wanted years ago to today. Especially considering how much the circumstances have changed. And that's not what the reporting was either. It's basically to get rid of the Sussexes any way that's possible.

And Harry proposed in UK, not Africa. From their own words.

Last edited:
Meghan, may not read the negative headlines, but she, Harry, William and Catherine, knows what’s being said about their relationship with each other. They could at least try to make an effort to put an end to these rumors. Harry walking ahead of the Cambridge’s at the Easter Service and standing away from each other has done them no favors. I mean, where’s the effort, folks?

Harry did not propose in Africa. He proposed at their Nott.Cottage.
William did propose to Kate in Africa at Jecca's family ranch in Kenya.
You're confusing the two brothers.

I think it makes some sense to send them to Africa. Meghan is getting a lot of bad press (fairly or unfairly), and this would create a cooling-off period for her. She wouldn't get as much coverage if she were based in Africa, and she'd have more time to raise her kid and pursue her charitable interests.

And, it would give Harry and Meghan some space to separate from William and Kate. The media wouldn't be comparing them all constantly and looking for signs of feuds. That would be a plus for both couples.

I think they all need a break. I was watching "Charles at 70" the other day and thinking how obnoxious Harry had become. He was jumping into every question before William got a chance to answer, and it looked like William was getting very impatient with him. Not good.

I think it makes some sense to send them to Africa. Meghan is getting a lot of bad press (fairly or unfairly), and this would create a cooling-off period for her. She wouldn't get as much coverage if she were based in Africa, and she'd have more time to raise her kid and pursue her charitable interests.

And, it would give Harry and Meghan some space to separate from William and Kate. The media wouldn't be comparing them all constantly and looking for signs of feuds. That would be a plus for both couples.

I think they all need a break. I was watching "Charles at 70" the other day and thinking how obnoxious Harry had become. He was jumping into every question before William got a chance to answer, and it looked like William was getting very impatient with him. Not good.

Yes, send the half-black duchess off to Africa. That wouldn't be terrible optics at all. :ermm:

Perhaps a better idea would be for the Queen and Charles to start leading with a firmer hand. The fact that these stories of a fued have gone on this long and are only getting worse ultimately reflects badly on them and the BRF as a whole.

Perhaps a better idea would be for the Queen and Charles to start leading with a firmer hand. The fact that these stories of a fued have gone on this long and are only getting worse ultimately reflects badly on them and the BRF as a whole.

I completely agree with this. I think this highlights something that has always been a weakness on the Queen's part, an unwillingness to get involved when there are messy issues within the family. No doubt it works most of the time, but this is a perfect example of a time when someone needs to take control, and get this nonsense cleared up.

So you want to send the mixed raced royal and her mixed raced child to Africa? How does that look better? Just think about what you proposing for a second and how it comes across.

How about these people just be adults and grow up? Honestly most of this bad press could have been avoided but it has escalated for a reason. They have shown in the past if they want to get ahead of stories they can but it seems once one ends another pops up and usually at the expense of one to prop other which just adds on to the "rift" rumors.

I do think both couples and their officials dropped the ball and now the media has picked up the ball and dribbling it down their own court. Will the royal couples and their palace officials take the ball back? Or is it too late and everything is about to get much more worse before it gets better? The ball is there for the taking, but judging by what we just witnessed yesterday at St. George’s, no one is even attempting to get the ball back.

...I mean to be honest we don't know these people. We know the image they portray but as we know that isn't always the reality. The royals more than anyone put on a show because they must.

I am not saying any of this is true. I just think we all should be reminded of that sometimes. People were so shocked with Charles and Diana's nasty issues because they built up a fantasy in their head. We want to think all is great with the "Fab Four" but we have no idea how any of them are behind closed doors. That is the point.

Harry did not propose in Africa. He proposed at their Nott.Cottage.
William did propose to Kate in Africa at Jecca's family ranch in Kenya.
You're confusing the two brothers.

Thank you for telling me what I am doing

Wherever he proposed it is clear Africa is special to Harry, I could easily see how this would have snowballed from H&M wanting to go to the papers and "royal insiders" spinning it into they are being forced to. I certainly think the more strained relations between W&H will have played a role to the extent it will perhaps have made it easier to envisage leaving the UK for a prolonged period of time.

Someone spoon-feed this to me. The gist is all powerfull William has banished his brother to Africa?

Like what's the the 'fallout' you're all talking about?

I have to admit I didn't follow this much, because I really cannot be arsed to know the ins and outs of the latest media storm and the subsequent inadequate PR handlings of KP and the rest of the lot. Said it before and will say it now again, but they have no clue on how to handle these types of situations and make it worse.

But I will say, if there are tensions between the two couples, I fully believe it's between the brothers and has nothing to do with the wives. Believing in your own hype usually doesn't end well.

Someone spoon-feed this to me. The gist is all powerfull William has banished his brother to Africa?

Like what's the the 'fallout' you're all talking about?

Yes, that is the gist. William and KP apparently have the power to arbitrarily make decisions for the rest of the family. And since he/they are so powerful, it looks bad that he is flexing this power to remove his "more popular brother" from Great Britain. It seems he is so threatened by Harry and Meghan's popularity that the only thing to do is banish them.

But I will say, if there are tensions between the two couples, I fully believe it's between the brothers and has nothing to do with the wives. Believing in your own hype usually doesn't end well.

I would believe that. Yesterday, Kate and Harry seemed fine although they only had one small interaction. And certainly, at Christmas, Kate and Meghan interacted more than William and Harry did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom