The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
The author of the Times piece is not someone I would describe as a biased reporter. He doesn't normally cover the royals and certainly seems to have more credibility than those who are now claiming that it was Harry's idea.
Yes. I do struggle with that. For Times to splash it out as their main headline and then it came from someone that is not one to use petty gossip just to fill column inches.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Yeah, but how much comes from editorializing and sit-connecting by a biased reporter? From my reading of the article, all it most. All they can say strongly about the plan is that it was a proposal originally drafted by a couple of people who were in a position to help with strategizing. And then, separately, it goes off in the direction of gossiping about a falling out, trying to come up with reasons why a plan might exist, etc.

I buy that the brothers are having a rough spell, as sometimes happens with siblings. But royal staffers who blab and the reporters to whom they leak have a long history of exaggerating interfamily conflicts and twisting kernels of truth into huge, overblown messes that are mostly supposition.
I agree with all of this. The verified facts are very thin on the ground and boil down to what BP has confirmed: that some kind of Commonwealth oriented project has been discussed, and nothing will be decided for at least a year. That's all we know.

The willingness of the press to make assumptions about William's and Charles's intentions is making this a much larger issue and problem than it needs to be, and also unfortunately highlights the potential that Harry and Meghan have to be a huge liability for the BRF. If everything about them turns into a William vs. Harry and Meghan narrative, then they are no longer an asset to the BRF. I've been worried about this for quite a while, and would hate to see things go in that direction.

If there is tension between the brothers, they need to get that under control very quickly before they end up in another War of the Wales drama. That would not be a good thing for anyone.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree that Cambridge vs Sussex needs to stop but that is up to all parties. If this continues and gets worse than it will be very bad for the BRF. There is a lot of goodwill toward them right now but that can disappear very quickly.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Am I wrong or wasn't it once reported (so take with as much truth as these reports) that Harry wanted to move to Africa to do charity work? He did (again, reported) propose in Africa so maybe they love it there and want to spend some time there.

Maybe he and Meghan want to do something like is being reported, it doesn't have to mean they are being banished if the Household are simply supporting them in doing something.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Am I wrong or wasn't it once reported (so take with as much truth as these reports) that Harry wanted to move to Africa to do charity work? He did (again, reported) propose in Africa so maybe they love it there and want to spend some time there.

Maybe he and Meghan want to do something like is being reported, it doesn't have to mean they are being banished if the Household are simply supporting them in doing something.
You are not wrong. He did express that wish at one time.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:

I agree with you, but that was not the original story that came out in The Times. The original story was that H&M could possible be shipped off to Africa because that's what the courtiers and ministers were drawing up. That it was also a way to take attention from them and put it else where.

NOW...if the Times had reported that H&M were going to spend time in different Commonwealth realms promoting Britain, no one would have batted an eye. In fact, Hannah Furness' piece in the Telegraph was how this information should have been released initially. Now everything that is coming down from reporters seems like spin and clean-up of the original Roya and Shipman pieces in the time.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Harry also wanted to get away from his position at one point. I hardly think we can apply what someone wanted years ago to today. Especially considering how much the circumstances have changed. And that's not what the reporting was either. It's basically to get rid of the Sussexes any way that's possible.

And Harry proposed in UK, not Africa. From their own words.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Meghan, may not read the negative headlines, but she, Harry, William and Catherine, knows what’s being said about their relationship with each other. They could at least try to make an effort to put an end to these rumors. Harry walking ahead of the Cambridge’s at the Easter Service and standing away from each other has done them no favors. I mean, where’s the effort, folks?

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-22-2019, 12:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Harry did not propose in Africa. He proposed at their Nott.Cottage.
William did propose to Kate in Africa at Jecca's family ranch in Kenya.
You're confusing the two brothers.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Nobility

I think it makes some sense to send them to Africa. Meghan is getting a lot of bad press (fairly or unfairly), and this would create a cooling-off period for her. She wouldn't get as much coverage if she were based in Africa, and she'd have more time to raise her kid and pursue her charitable interests.

And, it would give Harry and Meghan some space to separate from William and Kate. The media wouldn't be comparing them all constantly and looking for signs of feuds. That would be a plus for both couples.

I think they all need a break. I was watching "Charles at 70" the other day and thinking how obnoxious Harry had become. He was jumping into every question before William got a chance to answer, and it looked like William was getting very impatient with him. Not good.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
I think it makes some sense to send them to Africa. Meghan is getting a lot of bad press (fairly or unfairly), and this would create a cooling-off period for her. She wouldn't get as much coverage if she were based in Africa, and she'd have more time to raise her kid and pursue her charitable interests.

And, it would give Harry and Meghan some space to separate from William and Kate. The media wouldn't be comparing them all constantly and looking for signs of feuds. That would be a plus for both couples.

I think they all need a break. I was watching "Charles at 70" the other day and thinking how obnoxious Harry had become. He was jumping into every question before William got a chance to answer, and it looked like William was getting very impatient with him. Not good.
Yes, send the half-black duchess off to Africa. That wouldn't be terrible optics at all.

Perhaps a better idea would be for the Queen and Charles to start leading with a firmer hand. The fact that these stories of a fued have gone on this long and are only getting worse ultimately reflects badly on them and the BRF as a whole.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post

Perhaps a better idea would be for the Queen and Charles to start leading with a firmer hand. The fact that these stories of a fued have gone on this long and are only getting worse ultimately reflects badly on them and the BRF as a whole.
I completely agree with this. I think this highlights something that has always been a weakness on the Queen's part, an unwillingness to get involved when there are messy issues within the family. No doubt it works most of the time, but this is a perfect example of a time when someone needs to take control, and get this nonsense cleared up.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post

So you want to send the mixed raced royal and her mixed raced child to Africa? How does that look better? Just think about what you proposing for a second and how it comes across.

How about these people just be adults and grow up? Honestly most of this bad press could have been avoided but it has escalated for a reason. They have shown in the past if they want to get ahead of stories they can but it seems once one ends another pops up and usually at the expense of one to prop other which just adds on to the "rift" rumors.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

I do think both couples and their officials dropped the ball and now the media has picked up the ball and dribbling it down their own court. Will the royal couples and their palace officials take the ball back? Or is it too late and everything is about to get much more worse before it gets better? The ball is there for the taking, but judging by what we just witnessed yesterday at St. George’s, no one is even attempting to get the ball back.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

...I mean to be honest we don't know these people. We know the image they portray but as we know that isn't always the reality. The royals more than anyone put on a show because they must.

I am not saying any of this is true. I just think we all should be reminded of that sometimes. People were so shocked with Charles and Diana's nasty issues because they built up a fantasy in their head. We want to think all is great with the "Fab Four" but we have no idea how any of them are behind closed doors. That is the point.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Harry did not propose in Africa. He proposed at their Nott.Cottage.
William did propose to Kate in Africa at Jecca's family ranch in Kenya.
You're confusing the two brothers.
Thank you for telling me what I am doing

Wherever he proposed it is clear Africa is special to Harry, I could easily see how this would have snowballed from H&M wanting to go to the papers and "royal insiders" spinning it into they are being forced to. I certainly think the more strained relations between W&H will have played a role to the extent it will perhaps have made it easier to envisage leaving the UK for a prolonged period of time.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Majesty

Someone spoon-feed this to me. The gist is all powerfull William has banished his brother to Africa?

Like what's the the 'fallout' you're all talking about?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have to admit I didn't follow this much, because I really cannot be arsed to know the ins and outs of the latest media storm and the subsequent inadequate PR handlings of KP and the rest of the lot. Said it before and will say it now again, but they have no clue on how to handle these types of situations and make it worse.

But I will say, if there are tensions between the two couples, I fully believe it's between the brothers and has nothing to do with the wives. Believing in your own hype usually doesn't end well.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Someone spoon-feed this to me. The gist is all powerfull William has banished his brother to Africa?

Like what's the the 'fallout' you're all talking about?
Yes, that is the gist. William and KP apparently have the power to arbitrarily make decisions for the rest of the family. And since he/they are so powerful, it looks bad that he is flexing this power to remove his "more popular brother" from Great Britain. It seems he is so threatened by Harry and Meghan's popularity that the only thing to do is banish them.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
But I will say, if there are tensions between the two couples, I fully believe it's between the brothers and has nothing to do with the wives. Believing in your own hype usually doesn't end well.
I would believe that. Yesterday, Kate and Harry seemed fine although they only had one small interaction. And certainly, at Christmas, Kate and Meghan interacted more than William and Harry did.

Closed Thread