The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 04-22-2019, 03:22 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,158
It's interesting that Buckingham Palace very quickly intervened but didn't issue a denial and went for this instead:
ďAny future plans for The Duke and Duchess are speculative at this stage. No decisions have been taken about future roles."

If The Times report was a fabrication, they'd have said "There are no plans for the D&D to live outside of the UK". That would have killed the story stone dead but they chose not to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
This looks very much like talking to me...
I've watched the video a few times & Harry is speaking to Catherine, who responds. William smiles but isn't saying anything to Harry. Given the report that was published prior to their appearance plus all the talk of tension between Harry & William, they could have walked & talked together on arrival and departure, which would have made a mockery of the stories but they didn't.
__________________

  #142  
Old 04-22-2019, 03:35 AM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,760
@Lilyflo - I think the Palace is counting on designated journalists and royal reporters to explain this away so they ride out the storm.
__________________

  #143  
Old 04-22-2019, 03:40 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
It's interesting that Buckingham Palace very quickly intervened but didn't issue a denial and went for this instead:
“Any future plans for The Duke and Duchess are speculative at this stage. No decisions have been taken about future roles."

If The Times report was a fabrication, they'd have said "There are no plans for the D&D to live outside of the UK". That would have killed the story stone dead but they chose not to do that.
It appears the palace has lost the narrative with this story. Multiple papers are running with different versions of the original story, adding their own "exclusive" info. If the move to Africa, whether for extended time or just a tour was really in the works, then the information was leaked prematurely, and people are adding their own sensationalist details.
  #144  
Old 04-22-2019, 03:43 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,825
The PR of the BRF has been desastrous for many years now, either the BRF wants it this way or it is simply unmanagable for professional outsiders for various reasons.
  #145  
Old 04-22-2019, 03:55 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The PR of the BRF has been desastrous for many years now, either the BRF wants it this way or it is simply unmanagable for professional outsiders for various reasons.
While it's untenable to deny every single story, KP or BP should've issued a firm and straightforward denial (one that left no room for misinterpretation) when they saw the feud rumors receiving so much mainstream coverage. At this point, tabloids are taking the most mundane actions and using that as proof for the alleged feud.
  #146  
Old 04-22-2019, 06:14 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
@Lilyflo - I think the Palace is counting on designated journalists and royal reporters to explain this away so they ride out the storm.
Maybe they are. Richard Palmer's tweets & replies this morning are interesting:
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...13791185285126
  #147  
Old 04-22-2019, 06:40 AM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,760
Yep the story was a big misfire.
  #148  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:27 AM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I've watched the video a few times & Harry is speaking to Catherine, who responds. William smiles but isn't saying anything to Harry. Given the report that was published prior to their appearance plus all the talk of tension between Harry & William, they could have walked & talked together on arrival and departure, which would have made a mockery of the stories but they didn't.
William and Harry don’t play games for the press. I cannot see either of them doing something for the sake of photos, even if it would look good.

I think there is tension, but that it is what the Palace said before, normal growing pains when roles and lives change. William had influence over his younger brother all his life. Then Meghan came along and her influence over Harry is stronger now. They may have had a disagreement over something, but William is stubborn and when it comes to Meghan I think Harry can be also. Yes, I’m speculating but it is based on observing family dynamics in other families over the years.
  #149  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:30 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I've watched the video a few times & Harry is speaking to Catherine, who responds. William smiles but isn't saying anything to Harry. Given the report that was published prior to their appearance plus all the talk of tension between Harry & William, they could have walked & talked together on arrival and departure, which would have made a mockery of the stories but they didn't.
It was about Harry not talking to them; he clearly addressed them while some want us to believe that they completely ignored each other.

Nonetheless, I agree that it would have helped if Harry had joined his brother and sister-in-law while walking to the chapel - as he has done many times before - instead of walking with Peter and Autumn. In general, Harry looked rather nervous, probably because of the impending birth of his first child.
  #150  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:43 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,345
Harry seemed just fine with the Philips and Tindals. I can believe there is tension....Clearly these people need a bit of distance. I also agree they don't need to go out their way for the press. They will think what they want regardless.

They were respectful and that is all that matters.
  #151  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
William and Harry donít play games for the press. I cannot see either of them doing something for the sake of photos, even if it would look good.

I think there is tension, but that it is what the Palace said before, normal growing pains when roles and lives change. William had influence over his younger brother all his life. Then Meghan came along and her influence over Harry is stronger now. They may have had a disagreement over something, but William is stubborn and when it comes to Meghan I think Harry can be also. Yes, Iím speculating but it is based on observing family dynamics in other families over the years.
Agree 100%
I would be surprised if there weren't any tensions.
But maybe they need to be dealt with differently or at least not being underestimated in the current tabloid climate.
  #152  
Old 04-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
About an hour ago Victoria Arbiter was on CNN in the US talking about Baby Sussex, the British press griping about no presentation, potential names and the Africa move. Arbiter mentioned the queen and Philip lived in Malta for a couple of years and William and Kate living in Anseley.
When the Queen and Prince Philip lived in Malta, Prince Philip was a Naval Officer stationed there. And back then, the King of England was the head of state in Malta.

William was stationed near Anseley (which is in UK), when he and Kate lived there.

Both couples were not uprooted and shipped outside of British Empire.

.
  #153  
Old 04-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,832
One thing I know, Harry and William have always been extremely close. Sure, they have their moments with each other. That’s how siblings are. I just don’t know why they’re not at least trying to smash the story about them and their wives. The effort isn’t being made at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
When the Queen and Prince Philip lived in Malta, Prince Philip was a Naval Officer stationed there. And back then, the King of England was the head of state in Malta.

William was stationed near Anseley (which is in UK), when he and Kate lived there.

Both couples were not uprooted and shipped outside of British Empire.

.
And it’s not going to happen now. What I’m getting out of this story? A royal tour or work based projects that they will make several trips to launch and look after. The royals do working trips often. The press is using the idea of tensions between the couples to base their story.

The PR side of their household separation was not handled properly. It gave too much room for an unwanted spin to be made out of it. None of it has ever been corrected.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #154  
Old 04-22-2019, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
It’s interesting to see some of the spin this morning. Some of them aren’t even trying to look like they are sticking to both side of the story. They are at the point of playing blindness to certain things while twisting another side. Or even saying they have sources say that it’s Harry and Meghan that want to go. Just pretend like the original story is Harry and Meghan want to go (it wasn’t) and how their idea is problematic.
  #155  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 AM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 755
The supposed Africa proposal really does sound to me like something that Harry would enjoy in an ideal world. As a single man with only part-time royal responsibilities, he repeatedly used his personal time to spend a month or so at a time volunteering on the continent. It’s one of the main focuses of the work he chooses to do when given the freedom to do whatever he wants.

But so many things point to the idea that this is a plan still in brainstorming phase. Perhaps the idea was to come up with a “blue sky” plan as a starting point for strategizing. In other words, momentarily set aside thoughts of visas, concerns about optics, the demands of the annual royal schedule, the practicalities of having young kids in the mix, etc. and just dream up a perfect-world situation that would build on the couple’s interests and skills to their fullest. Then take that idea, put it through the filters of practicalities and sensibilities, and see what pieces actually could remain as a realistic strategy.

It just feels to me like a lower level staffer caught wind of ideas being tossed about in their earliest, most imperfect state and then ran off to the Times and caused a mess.
  #156  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
The supposed Africa proposal really does sound to me like something that Harry would enjoy in an ideal world. As a single man with only part-time royal responsibilities, he repeatedly used his personal time to spend a month or so at a time volunteering on the continent. It’s one of the main focuses of the work he chooses to do when given the freedom to do whatever he wants.

But so many things point to the idea that this is a plan still in brainstorming phase. Perhaps the idea was to come up with a “blue sky” plan as a starting point for strategizing. In other words, momentarily set aside thoughts of visas, concerns about optics, the demands of the annual royal schedule, the practicalities of having young kids in the mix, etc. and just dream up a perfect-world situation that would build on the couple’s interests and skills to their fullest. Then take that idea, put it through the filters of practicalities and sensibilities, and see what pieces actually could remain as a realistic strategy.

It just feels to me like a lower level staffer caught wind of ideas being tossed about in their earliest, most imperfect state and then ran off to the Times and caused a mess.
Feels like more than that to me. The original Times story made absolutely no menton of this being something Harry or Meghan wanted. It was billed as the exact opposite.

With a new baby and a wife who is not yet a citizen, I don't think he ever wanted or planned to spend a few months away from home, let alone a few years.
  #157  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:53 AM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Feels like more than that to me. The original Times story made absolutely no menton of this being something Harry or Meghan wanted. It was billed as the exact opposite.

With a new baby and a wife who is not yet a citizen, I don't think he ever wanted or planned to spend a few months away from home, let alone a few years.
Yeah, but how much comes from editorializing and sit-connecting by a biased reporter? From my reading of the article, all it most. All they can say strongly about the plan is that it was a proposal originally drafted by a couple of people who were in a position to help with strategizing. And then, separately, it goes off in the direction of gossiping about a falling out, trying to come up with reasons why a plan might exist, etc.

I buy that the brothers are having a rough spell, as sometimes happens with siblings. But royal staffers who blab and the reporters to whom they leak have a long history of exaggerating interfamily conflicts and twisting kernels of truth into huge, overblown messes that are mostly supposition.
  #158  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 AM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
I agree with loonytick, this does sound like something Harry would have really enjoyed. I said as much yesterday. However, his life is now much more complicated and his father is much closer to being King which also complicates matters.
  #159  
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Yeah, but how much comes from editorializing and sit-connecting by a biased reporter? From my reading of the article, all it most. All they can say strongly about the plan is that it was a proposal originally drafted by a couple of people who were in a position to help with strategizing. And then, separately, it goes off in the direction of gossiping about a falling out, trying to come up with reasons why a plan might exist, etc.

I buy that the brothers are having a rough spell, as sometimes happens with siblings. But royal staffers who blab and the reporters to whom they leak have a long history of exaggerating interfamily conflicts and twisting kernels of truth into huge, overblown messes that are mostly supposition.
The author of the Times piece is not someone I would describe as a biased reporter. He doesn't normally cover the royals and certainly seems to have more credibility than those who are now claiming that it was Harry's idea.
  #160  
Old 04-22-2019, 11:03 AM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
All they can say strongly about the plan is that it was a proposal originally drafted by a couple of people who were in a position to help with strategizing. And then, separately, it goes off in the direction of gossiping about a falling out, trying to come up with reasons why a plan might exist, etc.

I buy that the brothers are having a rough spell, as sometimes happens with siblings. But royal staffers who blab and the reporters to whom they leak have a long history of exaggerating interfamily conflicts and twisting kernels of truth into huge, overblown messes that are mostly supposition.
I agree.

Reporters and low level (not really in the know) staffers take things out of context and juxtapose with other things or embellish to make a story that doesn't necessarily resemble fact.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 625 04-11-2019 06:02 AM




Popular Tags
abdication american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism biography british royal family brownbitcoinqueen chittagong commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs doll dubai duke of sussex facts games gustaf vi adolf haakon vii hill history house of windsor imperial household intro italian royal family jack brooksbank jacobite japan jewellery kids movie książ castle line of succession list of rulers luxembourg mailing meghan markle monarchy nepalese royal jewels norway prince constantijn prince dimitri princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen mathilde queen maxima random facts royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding royal wedding gown serbian royal family snowdon speech sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan tracts tradition uae customs unsubscribe wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×