Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it have to be a leak...?

It certainly didn’t walk out by itself.... so someone had to talk. Whether that someone is realiable or not. Or do we now think journalists just make up sources now?

And I know someone mentioned Roya and her track record and such above. But Roya isn’t the primary on this. Tim Shipman is. Roya is credited behind him on one of the two articles.

Last edited:
I don't know who hatched this plan to send Harry and Megan to Africa but the fact BP gave a response within 24 hours they realized this is going down wrong. William and Kate should have been working on their royal roles long before Harry met Megan.
well they rather were. They were members of the BRF long before harry Met Meghan...

Generally he doesn't, but as eldest son and heir, the new King will be chief mourner and leader of the Nation and Commonwealth at the funeral of a much loved Queen. The focus, and the sympathy of all will be on him.
His sons and their wives will have supporting roles [at best].
As such he and his Queen will garner huge levels of support in the first days/weeks and months of his reign.

I don't think it will be all that emotional. The queen is admired and respected.. but I woud not say deeply loved.. and it is not the Victorian age any more. Charles will be OK - I mean he' will be accepted....but I dont think people are going to get very emotional about him or the queen..adn I thnk that the Camilla factor will unfairly damage his and Cam's popularity.

And I'd say putting names in an article saying, that there are plans to send Harry and Meghan somewhere in Africa in 2020, well their names are tied to this story.

Your comment doesn’t make much sense. Yes their names are included in this story, but they were once Private Secretary to HM and Personal Advisor to (first of all) Henry and William.

There aren’t actually any plans to send Henry and Meghan anywhere. All the stories speculate it’s Africa and it’ll supposedly be next year.

This is not like someone’s for a hold of an official document and leaked it, and it specifically said William wants to send Meghan and Henry to Africa next year.

This is literally a story made from nothing other than Henry and Meghan doing what they already do...

:previous: Harry and Meghan do not live in Africa.

This story’s point isn’t just about Africa, but to send Harry and Meghan away on a permanent basis as a starting point. Apparently both Australia and Canada have been discussed without success. So to me, the location seems to be secondary. Just to find something for them somewhere else that will keep them busy.

Last edited:
Your comment doesn’t make much sense. Yes their names are included in this story, but they were once Private Secretary to HM and Personal Advisor to (first of all) Henry and William.

There aren’t actually any plans to send Henry and Meghan anywhere. All the stories speculate it’s Africa and it’ll supposedly be next year.

This is not like someone’s for a hold of an official document and leaked it, and it specifically said William wants to send Meghan and Henry to Africa next year.

This is literally a story made from nothing other than Henry and Meghan doing what they already do...

Agreed. And in addition, there is nothing to suggest that even if there has been some discussion, that it isn't something that Harry and Meghan would like to do, and that they haven't been consulted about it. If I were them, I'd certainly be interested in an opportunity to move somewhere for a couple of years to do work that I was interested in doing, but with, perhaps, a bit more privacy for my very young family. I keep on remembering that very friendly greeting between Sir Christopher and Meghan a while back, which does suggest that they know each other fairly well and that there's a degree of warmth to the relationship.

I'm really astonished that there is so much assumption of ill-intent without a shred of evidence.

This story’s point isn’t just about Africa, but to send Harry and Meghan away on a permanent basis as a starting point. Apparently both Australia and Canada have been discussed without success. So to me, the location seems to be secondary. Just to find something for them somewhere else that will keep them busy.

Nowhere is it said or implied that they would be sent away permanently. That is sheer nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowhere is it said or implied that they would be sent away permanently. That is sheer nonsense.

To live somewhere else for a few years isn’t considered permenant? It’s not just a tour we are talking about.

Living somewhere for a couple of years, when you know it is only for that time period, is not permanent. Their permanent home, as far as we know it, is Frogmore Cottage, which is where they will return for the foreseeable future between engagements, overseas tours, and even temporary assignments abroad, if that should happen. It sounds much more dramatic and alarmist to say that Meghan and Harry are being sent elsewhere permanently, than to say that they are being given an opportunity to work overseas for a couple of years.

Living somewhere for a couple of years, when you know it is only for that time period, is not permanent. Their permanent home, as far as we know it, is Frogmore Cottage, which is where they will return for the foreseeable future between engagements, overseas tours, and even temporary assignments abroad, if that should happen. It sounds much more dramatic and alarmist to say that Meghan and Harry are being sent elsewhere permanently, than to say that they are being given an opportunity to work overseas for a couple of years.

To live somewhere is permenant. Whether a couple of years or a couple of decades. And if the opportunity is simply to keep them away is alarming. It’s not as if an assignment came up and they thought it’d be a great idea for Harry and Meghan.

What’s being said here is that courtiers are actively looking to see if they can find anything anywhere that will take Sussexes out of the UK just because some feel like they attract too much spotlight, through no fault of their own I will add.

Eh, the same was said of Andrew, once upon a time.
He was more popular than Charles, hard as it is to believe today.

And the Snowdens were once the glitzy ones...

Popularity is very fickle; it can turn sour in a heartbeat. What matters is position in the hierarchy, and William is the one who has it. The RF is well-aware of that.

Harry is not Andrew, whose popularity was born out of him simply being a handsome young royal and war hero. Harry is not only that but also Diana's son, a charismatic man in his own right and one who is committed to championing several worthy causes. Unless he really screws up, his "star power" won't be fading any time soon. I can see why that may have some people worried.

Oh and I highly doubt Meghan and Harry are going anywhere, definitely not Africa. How ridiculous.

To live somewhere is permenant. Whether a couple of years or a couple of decades. And if the opportunity is simply to keep them away is alarming.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Permanent implies forever. A two year posting elsewhere is not permanent, as any service member or foreign service officer can tell you.

:previous:

Yes I agree that there is far too much attention being given to something that is mere speculation at this point in time.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Permanent implies forever. A two year posting elsewhere is not permanent, as any service member or foreign service officer can tell you.

But we aren’t talking about foreign service officer or service member. We are talking about members of the BRF. Which this type of arrangement isn’t usual ever since member of the BRF stopped being appointed to GG positions around the realms. As far as I’m concerned, whoever lives and works in a foreign country in a manner that isn’t commuting back and forth, it is permenant during the time they are there.

Last edited:

This story may or may not have some truth to it, but as I read these articles, there wasn't much insight of what Harry and Meghan would want to do. It's all about courtiers making plans, and tbh imho it was a weird article to write now, and I question the purpose of it.

This story may or may not have some truth to it, but as I read these articles, there wasn't much insight of what Harry and Meghan would want to do. It's all about courtiers making plans, and tbh imho it was a weird article to write now, and I question the purpose of it.

Pretty much this.

The two brothers have different tasks in life. William needs to make sure that he is valued by the people until the very last day of his life, so a more careful approach is smart. Harry on the other hand has especially the upcoming decade to make a difference. So yes, currently, he is overshadowing his brother and that is only natural imo. Just like George will most likely be overshadowed by his younger sister and/or brother for some time.

Where did I say they did?

To live somewhere else for a few years isn’t considered permenant? It’s not just a tour we are talking about.

The definition of permanent is;

“lasting or intended to last or remain unchanged indefinitely.”

IF Henry and Meghan went anywhere, it would not be lasting therefore not permanent.

Where did I say they did?

The definition of permanent is;

“lasting or intended to last or remain unchanged indefinitely.”

IF Henry and Meghan went anywhere, it would not be lasting therefore not permanent.

You said it’s no different than what is already going on. I’m pointing out it is different.

If you’d prefer, we can say live elsewhere for a few years, but to me that’s permenant enough. And I don’t see how it makes any difference here. It is nevertheless not common for members of the BRF to be sent elsewhere to live. At least not since the GGs around the realm have been people from the countries.

And if they are going to as far as naming people and their role on it, I would say that’s about as good as it gets until things actually work out and becomes official. And given this isn’t just catty things through petty gossip, but rather official matters of the Firm, I do think it’s different than things that are just written to fill column inches. The nondenial denial also doesn’t help matters.

You said it’s no different than what is already going on. I’m pointing out it is different.

If you’d prefer, we can say live elsewhere for a few years, but to me that’s permenant enough. And I don’t see how it makes any difference here. It is nevertheless not common for members of the BRF to be sent elsewhere to live. At least not since the GGs around the realm have been people from the countries.

And if they are going to as far as naming people and their role on it, I would say that’s about as good as it gets until things actually work out and becomes official. And given this isn’t just catty things through petty gossip, but rather official matters of the Firm, I do think it’s different than things that are just written to fill column inches. The nondenial denial also doesn’t help matters.
The thing is, it is a lot of catty things with a couple of names of high level former employees thrown in to give it gravitas. It seems like a lot of nasty gossip with some ideas from old discussions being brought up for credence.

The Sussexes just might go down to Africa for a tour and to launch some projects. They’re not moving and the idea that the Queen is trying to get rid of Harry and Meghan is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. Harry and Meghan is part of The Queen and Prince Charles’s Court. They’re not going anywhere. Although, I can see the media trying to push them out.

Except it isn't different, the only concrete piece of evidence I took from any of the articles, as definite, was that Henry and Meghan "are set to be given a role that involves the Commonwealth, charity work and promoting Britain" which is what they already do. Nowhere in that sentence does it say the role involves being permanently abroad.

Everything else in the articles was complete guess work with no evidence to back it up.

A lot of this lay right at the doorsteps of the palace official offices and PR team. You’d think they would’ve had it together leading up the Sussexes wedding and afterwards, but palace officials have allowed to media to run the narrative of what’s going on here and now everything is in such a mess and the press is taking advantage of the mess.

My guess is Sara Latham has been busy explaining a badly leaked story in its infancy stages. It seems to me the Sussexes will probably travel for a month here and there, focus on a project and return. How that became whatever Roya was insinuating is beyond me. But who knows. It’s silly this even was a thing.

My guess is Sara Latham has been busy explaining a badly leaked story in its infancy stages. It seems to me the Sussexes will probably travel for a month here and there, focus on a project and return. How that became whatever Roya was insinuating is beyond me. But who knows. It’s silly this even was a thing.

It’s all so unnecessary. She shouldn’t have to be explaining anything if there were actual professionals doing their job. For a national UK paper to blast 2 stories that large segments are now bing backtracked is unethical. Whether it’s a private citizen or a member of royal family, like Meghan, it’s wicked to put unnecessary stress on a woman about to give birth. Plus it’s Her Majesty’s Birthday & Easter, that’s what should’ve been headlined in that paper.

It’s all so unnecessary. She shouldn’t have to be explaining anything if there were actual professionals doing their job. For a national UK paper to blast 2 stories that large segments are now bing backtracked is unethical. Whether it’s a private citizen or a member of royal family, like Meghan, it’s wicked to put unnecessary stress on a woman about to give birth. Plus it’s Her Majesty’s Birthday & Easter, that’s what should’ve been headlined in that paper.

I agree. Clearly The Times had their info crossed since they have edited it twice since last night. And now the Telegraph seemed to have got more info. What was the point of this "news break" right now days before she gives birth and right for HMQ's birthday and Easter? Now it is a mess and for what? Well I hope it was worth it. Then we had reporters fixating on the brothers lack of interaction, so maybe it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom