Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
California calling

I've always seen California are the natural home
for this family.
It would allow the Duchess to return to work
either in her former profession
or as an elected offical.
Their synergies would be electric
and lucrative in that environment.
The Duke's interests would have greater traction
and their combined fund raising powers
would make them both global players.
I see a Duchess Governor
and a Duchess President.

As for California? I think people are forgetting Meghan spent a large chunk of her adult life in Canada. She calls that her second home. I am sure she misses California as well but I don’t take much stock in that article especially since she didn’t even live in Malibu.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always seen California are the natural home

for this family.

It would allow the Duchess to return to work

either in her former profession

or as an elected offical.

Their synergies would be electric

and lucrative in that environment.

The Duke's interests would have greater traction

and their combined fund raising powers

would make them both global players.

I see a Duchess Governor

and a Duchess President.

To do any of that, other than have a home in California, they would have to remove themselves from the line of succession and renounce their titles.

Harry and Meghan may invest in having a vacation home in California but I find that rather unlikely. As Harry is a Councilor of State, he's required to have his permanent residence in the UK.

If they were to move to California permanently, they would be Mr. and Mrs. Mountbatten-Windsor with no ties to the British monarchy therefore no royal charities and patronages or their foundation in the UK.

They've got too much to lose by loading up the truck and moving to Beverly Hills to quote the old situation comedy "Beverly Hillbillies". And all that is without throwing in the idea of running for political office. :D

I think I am right in saying that Harry once said that when he was younger he had considered walking away from royal life but he knew his duty was to the throne in particular to be there to support his brother when the time came. The support of siblings and close family is very important to a monarch, although Harry might think differently now.
I still think some of the stories coming out are testers to see who is leaking info.

I think people are forgetting Meghan spent a large chunk of her adult life in Canada. She calls that her second home. I am sure she misses California as well but I don’t take much stock in that article especially since she didn’t even live in Malibu.

True, but that wasn't a matter of choice.
She had to live in Canada because that was where her series was filming; it's not like she suddenly decided she'd rather live in Canada.

And once she relocated, she wouldn't say anything negative about the country. That would have been rude.
We will have to wait and see where they opt to spend much of their time.

She had to live in Canada because that was where her series was filming; it's not like she suddenly decided she'd rather live in Canada.

And once she relocated, she wouldn't say anything negative about the country. That would have been rude.

Canada is an excellent country and very easy to like. I am sure she was more than polite when says that she considers it her second home....

Of course it was a choice. Besides she could be somewhere for work and still not tell people, even now, that it was a second home to her. She always speaks fondly of it. It was a new beginning for her in a lot of ways. Not surprising she feels like home there. That is not to take anything from California as that is her homestate.

The discussion about celebrities attending royal weddings has been deleted.

Of course it was a choice. Besides she could be somewhere for work and still not tell people, even now, that it was a second home to her. She always speaks fondly of it. It was a new beginning for her in a lot of ways. Not surprising she feels like home there.

Let's see how much time she spends there in future.

I think over the years, it obviously will be that Harry and Meghan will visit a lot of places all over the world just because of their royal roles. They also have the ways and means to vacation anywhere too. With this in mind, I don't see them really ever having a residence of their own outside of the UK. Especially once their child(ren) are of school age.

I think both Harry and Meghan are the type of people that believe that "home is where you hang your heart".

Why every time I look up there’s a story about this couple wanting to move away? First, there was the story about them moving to Africa. Now, there’s a story about them moving to California. People really want to get rid of them, huh?

The story about Charles wanting to give them a home I see false and old. That’s the same property folks were saying he was building for William and Catherine.

I think the same can be said of most places...

You're right of course.
I was just thinking well, what else could she say?
It's not like she could say she hated it and wanted to leave.

I'm sure she didn't; I've been there and thought it was lovely.

(I was just reminded of an actress who said she hated filming in a certain country; there was a huge outcry and she almost got banned. Had to apologize. It wasn't Canada, though).

They will not live for California. What did they have to gain from leaving the UK?
Prince Harry knows what his life mission is, and this mission is his duties as a member of the royal family.
This news is another fake news. And so much fake news has come out since they got married ....
But if true, it will be a shock to the royal family and the UK ... but it should not be true.

However I could see the Sussexes having a vacation home in CA in order to be closer to Doria much like W-A and Maxima have a home in Argentina or the Danish royals have their estate in France. When people from foreign nations marry into a reigning royal family, I'm not surprised to discover that they've opted to have a home in their spouse's native country.

I wish the Duke of Sussex could be the Governor General of Canada as the Duke of Connaught once was, but those times are long gone and that is impossible now.

However I could see the Sussexes having a vacation home in CA in order to be closer to Doria much like W-A and Maxima have a home in Argentina or the Danish royals have their estate in France. When people from foreign nations marry into a reigning royal family, I'm not surprised to discover that they've opted to have a home in their spouse's native country.

Yes of course the Dukes of Sussex may have a California vacation home. But going to live outside the UK is something they should not do.

Yes of course the Dukes of Sussex may have a California vacation home. But going to live outside the UK is something they should not do.

Didn't the former Prince of Wales have a private home in Canada at one time?

Even should they decide to retire from public life at some point..I don't see them moving away from the U.K.

LaRae

I wish the Duke of Sussex could be the Governor General of Canada as the Duke of Connaught once was, but those times are long gone and that is impossible now.

I've never really understood the Governor General thing, or more precisely, the use of having a monarch living in a different country. So, always thought the queen having 4 children would have been the perfect occasion to divide the 4 largest countries (in terms of inhabitants) among them:
Charles could keep the UK
Anne could take Canada (perfect with her Canadian daughter-in-law as future queen)
Andrew could take Australia
Edward could take New Zealand (or if he wouldn't be interested, New Zealand could go to the duke of Gloucester but now Davina is divorced from her Maori husband that makes less sense).

Of course this is never going to happen - but it would make more sense to be if they had actual royals/monarchs living in those countries :flowers:

If they decide to get a vacation home in the States, I don’t think it would be in Los Angeles. They won’t be flocking to where the paps are. The best places to get a vacation home would be in Illinois, Denver, Maine, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. They wouldn’t be bothered by anything or anyone in those places.

Doria doesn't live on or near the East Coast though, and would still have to cross the continent from her LA home if she were to visit them.

Anyway, I can't see the couple buying a vacation home in the US. The crescendo of criticism about wishing to 'mingle with glamorous actors', wanting to leave Britain for holidays (even though others do it) paying for another home after 'taxpayers paid for the Frogmore renovations', and the cost of the RPOs staying overseas for weeks at a time at a vacation spot, would be horrendous.

If they decide to get a vacation home in the States, I don’t think it would be in Los Angeles. They won’t be flocking to where the paps are. The best places to get a vacation home would be in Illinois, Denver, Maine, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. They wouldn’t be bothered by anything or anyone in those places.

Massachusetts? Maybe in the Berkshires but not the east coast and Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod, etc.

Doria doesn't live on or near the East Coast though, and would still have to cross the continent from her LA home if she were to visit them.

Anyway, I can't see the couple buying a vacation home in the US. The crescendo of criticism about wishing to 'mingle with glamorous actors', wanting to leave Britain for holidays (even though others do it) paying for another home after 'taxpayers paid for the Frogmore renovations', and the cost of the RPOs staying overseas for weeks at a time at a vacation spot, would be horrendous.

As well as security for the home when they are not even there.

They would have to speak French:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom