The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I have to admit I asked myself the same question. We'll know for sure when the foundation officially opens. That title does seem a bit jumbled and confusing to me. I'm hoping its only a "working" title for now.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:04 AM
Commoner

i agree Lumutqueen. I hope this isn't just another way to highlight their difference and dislike of the conventional way of doing things. This doesn't make sense. The Sussex Royal Foundation would have been perfect. The other way is, simply put, odd.

Susanna Wynne
Old 07-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Whilst I get that their Instagram handle is Sussex Royal. Why wouldn’t they call it The Sussex Foundation? Sussex Royal The Foundation just doesn’t make sense. Is it meant to be The Sussex Royal Foundation?
I was thinking the same thing. "Sussex Royal The Foundation" just sounds awkward.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Nobility

‘Sussex Royal’ sounds very like a variant of Jersey Royal which is a type of potato grown in Jersey which has a Protected Designation of Origin. Awkward when the chips are down...
Old 07-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sounds like the title “The Princess Royal.” It puts a capital ‘R’ in their royal foundation. Extra royal.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

The closest I could think of a description of "Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex" sounds like it should be read as "Sussex Royal: The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. To me, it sounds like a title of a movie sequel.

Scrolling back and reading Aco's post, it was stated there that the foundation was registered as "The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex".

Something for us to puzzle over, I guess, until the official announcement that the foundation has opened and become operational.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:28 PM
Nobility

I thought it has been already reported that the official registration was filed under 'The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex'?

However is very likely that it will go by 'Sussex Royal (Foundation)':
1) For brevity's sake
2) To be clearly distinguishable from 'The Royal Foundation'. (which I always thought to be too broad/general to begin with)
3) 'The Sussex Foundation' is not available as it already is a registered trademark with ties to local charities(in Sussex).
Old 07-18-2019, 12:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Whilst I get that their Instagram handle is Sussex Royal. Why wouldn’t they call it The Sussex Foundation? Sussex Royal The Foundation just doesn’t make sense. Is it meant to be The Sussex Royal Foundation?
Full name is "Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex", which will be called 'Sussex Royal' for short.
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 07-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
Full name is "Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex", which will be called 'Sussex Royal' for short.

Well I can guarantee you people aren’t going to call it Sussex Royal for short. That’s far too long winded a name for it to ever be used in conversation.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Well I can guarantee you people aren’t going to call it Sussex Royal for short. That’s far too long winded a name for it to ever be used in conversation.
It's not official yet; no need to worry
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 07-18-2019, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Seems to place a great importance on being able to have the same name as their instagram handle. I think a more formal name would be better even if in social media posts etc they use a shorter snappier easier to tag title.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting choice of name - it doesn't "flow" and is the same as their instagram, so it comes across as their personal brand - more than as a vehicle that's needed for their charity work.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I agree it does seem like a rather odd name choice. I can imagine they wanted to keep "Sussex Royal" as people will know the name from their Instagram, but as Lumutqueen pointed out, it doesn't really make sense with the foundation's full name.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-18-2019, 07:55 PM
Nobility

I'm guessing they chose the name for consistency over branding. People will know that it is their foundation since it is the same as their IG account and not a knock off like all of the twitter accounts that were opened when they went live on IG.

That being said...more important than the name I'm looking forward to all the good work Harry, Meghan and their colleagues will/can do with the foundation. The couple are eager to help people in the UK and Globally and I wish them all the best.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I think if it were up to me, and I needed to get Sussex Royal in there, I'd go with "The Sussex Royal Foundation."
Old 07-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Majesty

Has it been registered as a charity or just a company?

I can't find anything on its charity status.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Interesting choice of name - it doesn't "flow" and is the same as their instagram, so it comes across as their personal brand - more than as a vehicle that's needed for their charity work.
I agree with this. It comes across as a personal brand. "Interesting" is about the best I can come up with, although "revealing" is another possibility.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Has it been registered as a charity or just a company?

I can't find anything on its charity status.
As far as I can see, it was filed at Companies House as a company. Here is the link to the information filed.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/12077679
Old 07-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I agree with this. It comes across as a personal brand. "Interesting" is about the best I can come up with, although "revealing" is another possibility.
Someone in the thread already posted the name Sussex Foundation was already being used by a charity group in Sussex.

LaRae
Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
Harry and Meghan are launching their new foundation called Sussex Royal. H&M, Sara Latham and Natalie Campbell from Royal Foundation will be the new directors.
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...al-foundation/
Harper's Bazaar is an American fashion magazine. Was this is a deliberate exclusive for HB?

Closed Thread