The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The autumn is shaping up to be busier than us usual. Both foundations with essentially launch. I assume three tours close together will be occurring before Christmas. Shall be very interesting.
The autumn should be exciting. The Cambridges will launch their Foundation soon, because, just with change of name, it should be ready to go. But the Sussex's foundation will probably not be ready this year. I do think it takes a long time to set up a Foundation and get it running; hiring staff, the Board, etc. and some legal stuff to put in place.

I also would love to see some royal tours. I think this time it will be the Cambridges.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the will likely have the groundwork of the foundation in place. Maybe not a hard launch but something especially as the early part of 2020 will be quite busy for them it seems.

The royal reporters are under the impression the Sussexes will tour right before the Cambridges. I assume likely October/November timeframe. And Charles and Camilla problem will too.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
The autumn should be exciting. The Cambridges will launch their Foundation soon, because, just with change of name, it should be ready to go. But the Sussex's foundation will probably not be ready this year. I do think it takes a long time to set up a Foundation and get it running; hiring staff, the Board, etc. and some legal stuff to put in place.

I also would love to see some royal tours. I think this time it will be the Cambridges.
I've read their foundation should be up and going this fall...and it is thought their tour will be in fall.

So far no hint about when or where the Cambridges are going.

LaRae
Old 06-22-2019, 06:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

I find it odd people seem to think this is a sudden decision and now they will be racing to make a new foundation. This isn't like changing paint colors in the office. Both the old foundation and the new one for the Sussexes will require a major change. It's not simply changing the name for the original. It's changing the staff, funding and direction.

It likely has been in the process since the decision was made to split the households. They likely held off announcing as to see how first news went. It honestly makes sense. I was expecting this announcement as soon as we were told the households split. The foundation seemed next logical step.

It's possible the work has been going on since the wedding or shortly after. It was not a split second decision.

As for Harry and Meghan not having their own brand of course they will. All royals do. The BRF is indeed a firm. The queen is not a solo figure. She is the CEO of the firm. The members are all their own departments. While the CEO and her heir are the most public profile, the entire body has its roles. The other royals aren't simply mannequins who support the queen.

All he departments have their own function and press. All Charles siblings have their own foundations and their own projects. Andrew and pitch@palace, Edward and his role with Duke if Edinburgh awards and so on.

Anyone who thinks Meghan is expected to hide in the shadows and simply be a support doesn't really get the royal role. They support the firm by promoting their country, and their causes.

The only difference Harry and Meghan are highly popular so they get a lot of publicity. Unless they hid under a rock this is not something they can help. It's not something they are actively trying to build. Harry has always had a following since he was young and Meghan simply added to that.

William may be the future king but unfortunately for some he is boring. When he eventually is king there will be more focus. Maybe when George and his siblings are older Harry will fade but for now they are rarely seen kids.

Promoting their charities is the goal of a royal. No one, not the charities or the firm would bender from this couple disappearing.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing we have to remember too is the person who holds the purse strings for both couples.

When The Royal Foundation was established in 2009 for William and Harry, they didn't pay their office staff out of their own pocket. Their office staff was financially funded by The Prince of Wales through his Duchy of Cornwall earnings.

Since Harry married, it was decided that the Sussex office and household would be moved to BP. I believe that Charles is still funding the Sussex office and staff but the change will occur when HM passes and Charles is King. The Sussexes then will be funded by Charles through either the Duchy of Lancaster or the Sovereign Grant (not sure here... perhaps someone knows more than me). The Cambridge's office and staff will be provided for from William's Duchy of Cornwall's income. That creates a split right there.

All of this brings up the conundrum of financing the Royal Foundation operations if it wasn't split when Charles becomes King. It'd be weird with having two separate households and offices and their financing through different means and not a totally united front as the Foundation was when it was first established in 2009. It'd be reminiscent of the office of the Prince and Princess of Wales back in the "war" days. So many places I've read how that office at the time was divided into camps and there was chaos and discord over a lot of things.

Eventually Harry and Meghan's endeavors and incentives and philanthropic work will fall to William during his reign as King but hopefully that time is a long ways off yet and things will be established and running smoothly by then.

I'm hoping this somehow makes sense.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:26 PM
Nobility

Did you read this? Very well written article.

We Need to Talk About The Sussexes' "Global Brand"

https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/...es-global.html
Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post

Regardless of the opinion portion, I think this is good for the receipts.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I appreciate that she thoroughly researched and presented facts. Interesting read about all the royal related charity associations.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:

It's lovely to read a positive article about Meghan for once.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-24-2019, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
It's lovely to read a positive article about Meghan for once.
She seems to take on strawmen; nobody said that the royals don't do anything global (they do; and I, for one, love that Harry and Meghan are focusing on the Commonwealth as that carves a clear direction for their roles): it's that they don't promote themselves as a 'brand' and Harry and Meghan run the risk of doing so. It must be a really hard balance to do just enough and not too much in this area.

In addition, while I do think that in general Harry and Meghan are doing a fine job; stating that 'she hasn't put a foot wrong' is putting her on a pedestal that I don't think anyone deserves. Of course, Meghan has made some mistakes... that's normal.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
She seems to take on strawmen; nobody said that the royals don't do anything global (they do; and I, for one, love that Harry and Meghan are focusing on the Commonwealth as that carves a clear direction for their roles): it's that they don't promote themselves as a 'brand' and Harry and Meghan run the risk of doing so. It must be a really hard balance to do just enough and not too much in this area.

In addition, while I do think that in general Harry and Meghan are doing a fine job; stating that 'she hasn't put a foot wrong' is putting her on a pedestal that I don't think anyone deserves. Of course, Meghan has made some mistakes... that's normal. That's for example why Harry needed to correct her on the balcony recently.
As for branding, the whole royal family is a brand. And if people had said that a few decades ago, some would've had a heart attack. But it has always been around, how the royal family wants to be seen and defined by the public. It's just a different name thanks to the changing times. And really, the question begs how much has Meghan and Harry promoted themselves versus a narrative the press is trying to promote? The best example is the recent comments from press about the Cambridges and Sussexes competing for attention because they made social media posts the same day. Well, guess what, it's kind of hard to change the date of your anniversary and when Chelsea Flower Show starts. They promote their causes like all members of the BRF do, they just get more attention because there is more interest in them. Something that is not their fault.

Is she perfect? No, but she hasn't done anything that would qualify as "putting a foot wrong" either. And certainly not deserving of all the outrage and criticism she's received.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
As for branding, the whole royal family is a brand. And if people had said that a few decades ago, some would've had a heart attack. But it has always been around, how the royal family wants to be seen and defined by the public. It's just a different name thanks to the changing times. And really, the question begs how much has Meghan and Harry promoted themselves versus a narrative the press is trying to promote? The best example is the recent comments from press about the Cambridges and Sussexes competing for attention because they made social media posts the same day. Well, guess what, it's kind of hard to change the date of your anniversary and when Chelsea Flower Show starts. They promote their causes like all members of the BRF do, they just get more attention because there is more interest in them. Something that is not their fault.
No, Meghan hasn’t put a foot wrong. Even if she did, that’s okay, because the royals are allowed to make mistakes. They are human before they are royal.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-24-2019, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post

Is she perfect? No, but she hasn't done anything that would qualify as "putting a foot wrong" either. And certainly not deserving of all the outrage and criticism she's received.
I would say exactly the same if someone would say that Catherine had never put a foot wrong. Of course, she has. I still think the way she presented herself at the Foundation's meeting wasn't a good one... Of course, some might judge those instances differently; and others might not agree with my assessment that she did a great job with the 'kitchen' project - but imo only those completely adoring someone might state that she 'did not put a foot wrong'.

Nonetheless, I agree that she doesn't deserve the criticism she is receiving - just like others before her didn't deserve theirs (whether smaller or bigger) to the extent they have been receiving it (while there is some truth in some of the criticism as well - and it would be wise to learn from it but I hope someone else is filtering it because it wouldn't be good for anyone's self-confidence to read all there is to read).

And indeed, the royal family is the brand. So, all of them should be careful to not promote themselves but the family; and given the media attention they receive and how much they seem to enjoy and purposefully use it (and the rumors about them wanting to do it all on their own - of course, we don't know exactly what's going on behind palace doors), it is a trap they shouldn't fall into. It also has advantages (strategically communicating with the public is something that other members of the family might wish for) but unfortunately, it has been quite a mixed bag so far (mostly due to the media but also to their own doing.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I would say exactly the same if someone would say that Catherine had never put a foot wrong. Of course, she has....
I agree strongly with this. Of course Meghan has fumbled a few times. All the royals have at one time or another, including the Queen. Meghan has done very, very well, but we don't need to canonize her to appreciate that she is doing a hard job with a lot of grace under pressure, but that doesn't mean she gets everything right, every time. And there will be commentary about it, just as there is for every other royal.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This thread has been cleaned up and the following has been deleted.
  • The debate about which blogger is biased and anti or pro Meghan/Kate.
  • Comparisons between the Sussexes and other royals
  • Posts discussing the media's treatment of Meghan
  • Meghan's attendance at Trooping
  • Petty in-fighting between members - Please stop this

Posts about William and Harry’s relationship have been moved to the BRF Relationship thread. Any further relationship discussions should go there.

If you wish to continue discussing royal tours, take it to the Sussex or Cambridge tour threads.

As a reminder, this thread is about Harry and Meghan's future duties and responsibilities, so let's stick to that.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I think this is a very good, in-depth factual-based summary of the global projects many members of the royal family are involved with. This commentary very effectively disputes the odd and inaccurate notion that what Meghan and Harry are doing and planning philanthropically is some kind of 'celebrity-motivated' departure from royal family protocol.

That claim which has surfaced unfairly in the media is laughable, and yet the inaccurate and negative narrative persists.

Quote:
... nobody said that the royals don't do anything global (they do; and I, for one, love that Harry and Meghan are focusing on the Commonwealth as that carves a clear direction for their roles): it's that they don't promote themselves as a 'brand' and Harry and Meghan run the risk of doing so. It must be a really hard balance to do just enough and not too much in this area...
Really? Why do you think this (i.e., the underlined), and in what way do you think M&H are running risks of promoting themselves as a brand? It's a fine line when in fact the royal family is a kind of brand, and members of the royal family are for all intents and purposes similar to celebrities, and at the same time, different with different expectations and requirements asked of them.

IMO, Meghan and Harry understand that having privilege and status places responsibility on their shoulders to use their status and privilege to help others. They are both passionate about making a difference and giving back. If that's a brand, then so be it. The fact that Meghan formerly had an acting career is an asset, and not the liability many critics like to characterize it as being.

As far as their love story and their amazing chemistry together striking a chord with so many people and being something that's very marketable, they aren't perpetuating that at all. Meghan and Harry are simply being themselves and being responsible about keeping as much of their private lives as private as they can, while straddling the line between giving the public and the press some information because Harry is an important royal and the public is and has always been interested in every aspect of his life.

As Meghan noted during the engagement interview, she was actually less in the public eye as an actor than she ultimately became after she and Harry began dating. That's because Meghan was a hardworking actor on a successful but somewhat under-the-radar cable television series. She was becoming more well known, particularly in the entertainment, fashion and humanitarian fields, but she did NOT have a tabloid profile at all. IOW, she was not a frivolous 'celebrity,' nor was she a high profile star. She concentrated more on her work, on giving back, on entrepreneurial projects, and on enjoying down time/ fun time with friends. Her former Instagram and Tig lifestyle website tell us quite a bit about who she was and what she focused on during her acting career.

But the whole dynamic of being a royal in the age of the battle between shedding too much light on the British royal family vs not enough to satisfy the press and the public, is an ongoing dilemma. The dilemma did not begin when Harry met Meghan either.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I posted this in the RF thread but I guess it might be more appropriate here:

On the Royal Rota episode just released Chris Ship revealed that the Sussex foundation now has a name and they appointed a Chief Executive Officer. Today Richard Eden reveals the day after the split was announced that "The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex" was registered and Natalie Campbell who was the Director of Insight and Innovation for the Royal Foundation will be leaving to join the Sussexes. They are all under the impression they will be ready to launch in the fall.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:14 AM
Aristocracy

Harry and Meghan are launching their new foundation called Sussex Royal. H&M, Sara Latham and Natalie Campbell from Royal Foundation will be the new directors.
Quote:
Today, royal correspondent Emily Andrews exclusively shared that the couple's new foundation is called Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, according to official documents. The directors of the company are Meghan and Harry, along with their PR manager Sara Latham, and Natalie Campbell, a former staffer at the Royal Foundation. (...) According to the certificate of incorporation obtained by Andrews, Sussex Royal was registered as a private company. The duke and duchess made a good choice with the name; it's also their Instagram handle, @sussexroyal. (Consistency is key!)
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...al-foundation/
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 07-18-2019, 07:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The wheels are being greased to get this foundation up and running and in full swing before the summer hiatus and maternity leave are over and both Harry and Meghan return to duties and engagements and tours. We may not see them overly much until fall but its announcements like this that let us know that things are happening behind the scenes in preparation.

I agree that consistency is a key. I imagine that eventually, when the foundation is officially up and running, Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will also have its own website much like the one is existence now.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Whilst I get that their Instagram handle is Sussex Royal. Why wouldn’t they call it The Sussex Foundation? Sussex Royal The Foundation just doesn’t make sense. Is it meant to be The Sussex Royal Foundation?