Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As in Harry's Made by Sport initiative in June perhaps, or his meetings with representatives of his charities behind closed doors. And Meghan has been on maternity leave since March and hardly seen. I hardly think she made Trooping all about her.

no, it's not about that. "all about her".........it's more that they want "privacy". it's probably just me.

Why are baseless tumblr theories like 'merching' allowed in this forum? Some of the posts I am seeing tonight are shocking and straight from the worst parts of tin-hat/anti-meghan tumblr/twitter.

Yes, I agree. Very similar language and sentiments.

What is so frustrating for me (and a lot of old royal watchers) is that some of this "drama" is self inflicted by Harry and Meghan.

I like Harry and Meghan but yes, you do sound like a hypocrite when you talk about the carbon footprint and than you it comes out that you have used 2 to 3 private jets within the last 30 days. It might be one thing if someone is already going somewhere and you are catching a ride (i.e. her baby shower) , or if it makes sense because of time constraints (i.e. I don't know if flying to Nice or Elton's house is a straight shot or a lot of connections) but you gotta to appear that you are practicing what you preach.

I imagine the likes of Ellen, Pink, Jessica, Jamiela etc. think they are helping by defending this but they are really just prolonging the headlines regarding the use of private jets vs carbon emissions.

As for the claims of ism's...well, I pick D. All of the above (i.e. racism, classism and nationalism). And in that respect I think Jessica and Jamiela were somewhat correct when they attempted to defend Meghan and Harry. Their mistake was not to differentiate the criticism of the private jet with the constant criticism that Meghan gets for well...just about everything.

Not every thing is about race but as an African American woman I can tell you that I am a lot more "aware" of situations than someone who is not an African American woman dealing in the same situation. The criticism of Harry and Meghan using private jets is not racist but some of the innuendo's and other stuff is........calling Archie a monkey? Yeah...that's racist. That's a name you might hear someone call a black baby (other than their name) during a certain time period in this country. And I am going to tell you, in 2019 there are still people who think that Meghan has risen above her station because she is biracial. Heck, that they thought about Kate and her family had risen above their station..and they are English. You still hear/read little snippets about the Middleton's not knowing their place. An American Actress from California who is half black?!

And having witnessed the firestorm that Diana, Fergie, Camilla, Sophie, and Kate...I agree with Pink. The bullying that Meghan has withstood is something I have never seen before. And yes, that is what is happening. Yes, all of these women deal with a lot of negativity and rumors but the papers of Fleet Street, and social social media in 2011 is not the same as what is happening in 2019. I can't remember where I read it but someone said, if Meghan had found a cure of AIDS for some people the problem would be that she didn't find it sooner. Or it doesn't matter what she does, fault will be found nonetheless. That is what Jessica and Jamiela were referring to IMO.

I also find it incredibly ridiculous that we are still talking about the Frogmore House and British tax payers...are we conveniently forgetting that the British tax payer has paid for the renovation of Clarence House after the Queen Mother's death, Amner Hall, Bagshot Park, etc.? This is not new.

As for the celebrity aspect...British royals have always had an interest and relationship with celebrities. Let's not forget Lillie Langtry and Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VII). Charles and Camilla had David Frost, Edward Fox, and Joanna David, Jilly Cooper, Joan Rivers, Joanna Lumley, and Jonathan Dimbleby at their wedding. William and Kate had David and Victoria Beckham, Joss Stone, Elton John and David Furnish, Guy Ritchie and Jacquie Ainsley at theirs. Other than Oprah, Serena Williams, George Clooney and Idris Alba (who worked with Charles in the Prince's Trust) most of Meghan's celebrity friends are people she worked with or started in the industry at the same time. I don't think if any of us saw them on the street, we would know who they are. They are NOT on the A list, that's for sure.

Again, I like Harry and Meghan and I think that some of there issues are self inflicted. Hopefully with the creation of their team, we will see less of the missteps and more of the work that they do on behalf of the Queen.

Last edited:
Again, I like Harry and Meghan and I think that some of there issues are self inflicted. Hopefully with the creation of their team, we will see less of the missteps and more of the work that they do on behalf of the Queen.

I agree with the mis steps, and hopefully they will be tighter controlled going forward. There are times they seem to shoot themselves in the foot. Without meaning to re hash old ground,every singe event turns into a drama. With more and more stories, which some people see as bullying or the other word.

I would also like other views on another thing, I am not sure if Meghan is totally comfortable as yet in the ' royal' role. I am not speaking about her charity work or even meeting people at events,I will refer to that as her charity role, an extension of her previous work. I am speaking about the royal events, Trooping the colour, Remembrance Day, RAF celebrations, I do not think she is looking totally comfortable at these events. It all takes time I suppose. Maybe relaxed is a better word rather than comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is so frustrating for me (and a lot of old royal watchers) is that some of this "drama" is self inflicted by Harry and Meghan.

I like Harry and Meghan but yes, you do sound like a hypocrite when you talk about the carbon footprint and than you it comes out that you have used 2 to 3 private jets within the last 30 days. It might be one thing if someone is already going somewhere and you are catching a ride (i.e. her baby shower) , or if it makes sense because of time constraints (i.e. I don't know if flying to Nice or Elton's house is a straight shot or a lot of connections) but you gotta to appear that you are practicing what you preach.

I imagine the likes of Ellen, Pink, Jessica, Jamiela etc. think they are helping by defending this but they are really just prolonging the headlines regarding the use of private jets vs carbon emissions.

As for the claims of ism's...well, I pick D. All of the above (i.e. racism, classism and nationalism). And in that respect I think Jessica and Jamiela were somewhat correct when they attempted to defend Meghan and Harry. Their mistake was not to differentiate the criticism of the private jet with the constant criticism that Meghan gets for well...just about everything.

Not every thing is about race but as an African American woman I can tell you that I am a lot more "aware" of situations than someone who is not an African American woman dealing in the same situation. The criticism of Harry and Meghan using private jets is not racist but some of the innuendo's and other stuff is........calling Archie a monkey? Yeah...that's racist. That's a name you might hear someone call a black baby (other than their name) during a certain time period in this country. And I am going to tell you, in 2019 there are still people who think that Meghan has risen above her station because she is biracial. Heck, that they thought about Kate and her family had risen above their station..and they are English. You still hear/read little snippets about the Middleton's not knowing their place. An American Actress from California who is half black?!

And having witnessed the firestorm that Diana, Fergie, Camilla, Sophie, and Kate...I agree with Pink. The bullying that Meghan has withstood is something I have never seen before. And yes, that is what is happening. Yes, all of these women deal with a lot of negativity and rumors but the papers of Fleet Street, and social social media in 2011 is not the same as what is happening in 2019. I can't remember where I read it but someone said, if Meghan had found a cure of AIDS for some people the problem would be that she didn't find it sooner. Or it doesn't matter what she does, fault will be found nonetheless. That is what Jessica and Jamiela were referring to IMO.

I also find it incredibly ridiculous that we are still talking about the Frogmore House and British tax payers...are we conveniently forgetting that the British tax payer has paid for the renovation of Clarence House after the Queen Mother's death, Amner Hall, Bagshot Park, etc.? This is not new.

As for the celebrity aspect...British royals have always had an interest and relationship with celebrities. Let's not forget Lillie Langtry and Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VII). Charles and Camilla had David Frost, Edward Fox, and Joanna David, Jilly Cooper, Joan Rivers, Joanna Lumley, and Jonathan Dimbleby at their wedding. William and Kate had David and Victoria Beckham, Joss Stone, Elton John and David Furnish, Guy Ritchie and Jacquie Ainsley at theirs. Other than Oprah, Serena Williams, George Clooney and Idris Alba (who worked with Charles in the Prince's Trust) most of Meghan's celebrity friends are people she worked with or started in the industry at the same time. I don't think if any of us saw them on the street, we would know who they are. They are NOT on the A list, that's for sure.

No. They all support the queen in her functions and then they have their own paths. Every royal gets to choose their own causes and passions. Every Royal has. There is no line to toe.

You're right it's a firm. Not a dictatorship. It's a business who all the different departments do their own job. And add something. It's not the queen and heir and the others fall in line like the shadows.

Harry like his uncles and aunt before him is a younger child. He does mot have a clear road ahead of him. He and his wife have to forge their own road.

As for the comments I have seen they need to stop thinking New York and think local.....huh. What causes don't affect and mean anything to British people.

Meghan's patronages

Education
Animal welfare
Employment
The arts (British)

All of these are important to the common people. And all are popular patronages with other royals.

I would disagree re the toeing of the line, there are lines they cannot cross.
I am not saying they are crossing them just now, but as fairly senior members of the RF there are restrictions. they must abide by them.
Too often they are becoming the story rather than the cause they are promoting. IMHO.

> There is quite a lot of what you say in your post that I agree with. A lot of the missteps are indeed self-inflicted.

> The drama surrounding their missteps in the press and on social media though, must be debilitating after a point. Rather than digging their heals in, thinking carefully on how to address the matter might be more productive.

> Racism, Classism, Nationalism: My own two pennies worth is that whilst there may have been some racism (calling Archie a monkey cannot be justified, period), a lot of it is, IMO, a direct result of the complete breakdown of the relationship between Harry and the media (see below). There is always a degree of classism ("Doors to Manual"!) in the UK media. As regards nationalism, as the outsider, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to work out that Meghan will need to work very heard to establish her relationship with the great British public, and to earn their respect.

> Harry had a good working relationship with the media, but he seems to have singularly destroyed that in recent years. I hope he realises that this, indeed, is a this symbiotic relationship, and the sooner they can reset the relationship, the better it will be for them.

> I also think they need to be clear to their close friends like Jessica Mulroney and others that "defending" H&M online only adds fuel to the fire, and prolongs whatever the story of the day is.

> Your point about "old stories" like the financing of the renovations at Frogmore Cottage are completely valid. With the speed with which "new" stories develop, why bother with the old ones?

> Renovations to Anmer and Bagshot Park were not funded by the taxpayer. Anmer is privately owned, and the purchase of the lease on Bagshot Park was privately funded by HM. The only funding by the government for these properties would have related to security related expenses, including ensuring adequate space for RPO's whist on duty. Clarence House was different as it was the official residence of the PoW.

> I appreciate there is no standard rule book and each royal develops their own role and "space". Whilst H&M work through and identify the causes and charities they want to support, I so do hope they will focus a lot more of their attention to the local, British causes. I am not suggesting that Sentebale or the Commonwealth work be ignored, but the bulk of the effort should, IMO, be on local causes.

> Meanwhile, the highly curated Instagram really needs a rethink, IMO. Please drop the "woke" posting, quotes from others, "Be strong" type of posts, they really mean nothing!

Last edited:
Good gracious! Why the heck is there such a disdain for the traditional royal woman... Meghan would do well to look to the successes within the establishment she has pledged her life too... the way she has gone about some things she comes off as too much a celebrity and not enough of a low ranking member of the RF.

I agree with other posters, the Sussexes should focus on their smaller charities and stop trying to influence controversial topics like the environment, gaming, and feminism.
As for the "r" word in the US it has become a trend to label any criticism as somehow being because of the "r" word.

I think it is similar to different generations in general. I know that Anne is typically at the top of the engagement list and that works for her and what the BRF needs from her and I can respect that. Sophie is a little more engaged in heavy topics (a bridge between Anne and Meghan if you will) some of her engagements have focused on the needs of women (financially), believe she has done some work with the UN (I could be wrong) and I can respect that as well. Then there is Meghan (and Harry), the Queen has asked them to engage with the youth more. That means being more hands on. While I can't speak for a whole generation but the odds of making an impression or helping a charity just by cutting ribbons and attending an opening aren't very likely. Younger generations need to see that you truly care and are engaged or they are going to tune you out.

Regarding the "r" word.... there are two things that I see that lead me to believe that is a huge part in the coverage of the Sussexes and neither have to do with the US as other minorities in the UK get the same treatment (think footballers). 1. Meghan does the same thing as other royals and gets blasted for it, while the others are praised for the same actions. 2. The language used for descriptions of Meghan (straight out of Compton, Vulgar, Exotic DNA mixing w/blue blood, darkening of her skin for skits perceiving her as violent, referring to her child as a monkey) have racial undertones.

Last edited:
not to appear snarky about Harry and meghan....I wish them every happiness, specially that archie is now on the scene. HOWEVER....does it seem to anyone else that ...."they want their privacy"...and "archie will be raised privately"......but the British taxpayers are footing the bill? upkeep of homes, etc? this has been nagging at me for a month. since it isn't my money supporting the Royals, it doesn't matter. but still. it just LOOKS like ....they want all the benefits and still have all the privacy. I don't hold for them to be "on display" at all times. but a few pictures here and there...not trying to stir up drama, but interested in other's point of view here.

This is an example of the double standards I referred to in another thread. The Sussexes wanted privacy around their birth of their child....meaning not a spectacle on the streets of the hospital impacting other patients or a parading of a new mother hours after giving birth. They want privacy meaning they don't want to look over their shoulders in their own home because the media is using helicopters or drones to peer in the windows. They want privacy for the child who is defenseless in all of this so he can grow up healthy and when he is is older he can make the decisions for himself. Those are perfectly normal requests even for Royals, in fact William and Catherine made similar request for their children, a similar request was made for William at University. The request is also similar to the privacy given to Edward's children (as they are in a similar situation as Archie).

The Sussexes give their all when they do their projects and engagements and often go above and beyond. They should be allowed to have some down time and not have it splashed all over the tabloids.

> Meanwhile, the highly curated Instagram really needs a rethink, IMO. Please drop the "woke" posting, quotes from others, "Be strong" type of posts, they really mean nothing!

I agree with a lot of your post Muriel but not this bit. Whereas the style of their Instagram isn't particularly my cup of tea, I don't think it's aimed at me or my generation. I think they're reflecting their own generation's style, which maybe isn't a bad thing because every generation, every class & every ethnicity needs to feel some kind of link with our BRF. For me it's often been Princess Anne (although she's a little older than I am) who I've most identified with. My mother's life has been lived in parallel to the Queen & my adult children are most in tune with Harry's generation. The Sussex Instagram is immensely popular so I think it's probably successful at what it's trying to do.

I agree with a lot of your post Muriel but not this bit. Whereas the style of their Instagram isn't particularly my cup of tea, I don't think it's aimed at me or my generation. I think they're reflecting their own generation's style, which maybe isn't a bad thing because every generation, every class & every ethnicity needs to feel some kind of link with our BRF. For me it's often been Princess Anne (although she's a little older than I am) who I've most identified with. My mother's life has been lived in parallel to the Queen & my adult children are most in tune with Harry's generation. The Sussex Instagram is immensely popular so I think it's probably successful at what it's trying to do.

I think I am doing well if you only disagree with one out of nine bullet points :flowers:

This is an example of the double standards I referred to in another thread. The Sussexes wanted privacy around their birth of their child....meaning not a spectacle on the streets of the hospital impacting other patients or a parading of a new mother hours after giving birth. They want privacy meaning they don't want to look over their shoulders in their own home because the media is using helicopters or drones to peer in the windows. They want privacy for the child who is defenseless in all of this so he can grow up healthy and when he is is older he can make the decisions for himself. Those are perfectly normal requests even for Royals, in fact William and Catherine made similar request for their children, a similar request was made for William at University. The request is also similar to the privacy given to Edward's children (as they are in a similar situation as Archie).

The Sussexes give their all when they do their projects and engagements and often go above and beyond. They should be allowed to have some down time and not have it splashed all over the tabloids.

Well said.

LaRae

IMO the Sussexes are doing just fine. I don’t think they are perfect, no one is. I do see that they are picked on unnecessarily for the same things that other royals are doing. However, what the Sussexes do is heavily criticized while the same by others, is congratulated or ignored by some, especially the press.

Meghan has been on maternity leave & there are multiple harassment stories printed about her online, in papers & covered on tv, while other royals are on engagements & ignored.

The Sussexes do focus on local charities. Smart Works, Luminary bakery, Tiny Tickers, PlanUK, ShoutUK, Root and Shoots, The Diana Awards, Little Village HQ, Onside Youth Zone, Well Child, these are just some of the local charities supported by the Sussexes in the past weeks.

I’m grateful for the Sussex’s Instagram, it has detailed information & inspirational messages. As a longtime Monarchist, the Sussex’s Instagram, provides myself & others who are no longer interested in certain media reporting, a much more reliable option. “Stay strong, you are enough”, meaningful & appreciated words of encouragement.

And the fact that she's a successful woman in her own right who has been very vocal & confident about the causes she supports. For some people she checks off too many of the wrong boxes. For example, she challenges traditional views on the proper "place" for women & people of color, not to mention she's a nontraditional choice for a royal bride (a divorced, biracial American actress).

I agree this is also a factor. Certainly she didn't pretend to be something she's not in order to snag a prince. Harry took her on her own terms (and vice versa).

I was hesitant about her at first due to the Hollywood/Feminism/Activist factor ..but for me she's not fallen into the stereotypical 'role' of either. I like that she is about equality for everyone...she doesn't use feminism (or activism) to put down others. She appears content to have changed careers or take her career/work into a new direction.

LaRae

Why are baseless tumblr theories like 'merching' allowed in this forum? Some of the posts I am seeing tonight are shocking and straight from the worst parts of tin-hat/anti-meghan tumblr/twitter.

I find this interesting as well. I thought we were to stick to facts and yet we have comments like the above quoted more than once.

Meghan will never be what many want her to be. There are things people dislike about her she can't change so she might as well keep pushing forward.

No one is perfect. They will all make mistakes and learn from them but how they are covered and judged will always be different and we all know it.

It is what it is.

As for Harry's relationship with the press. It has always been up and down. That was long before Meghan was in his life. He is now a husband and father. It is expected he will not tolerate certain things. William was the same way,

In fact I recently came across a few articles and tweets from certain members of the press who attacked the Cambridges for wanting privacy. Those same people who now say the Sussexes should look to them as examples.

You really can't make it up.

The criticism of Harry and Meghan using private jets is not racist but some of the innuendo's and other stuff is........calling Archie a monkey? Yeah...that's racist. That's a name you might hear someone call a black baby (other than their name) during a certain time period in this country. And I am going to tell you, in 2019 there are still people who think that Meghan has risen above her station because she is biracial.

Hopefully with the creation of their team, we will see less of the missteps and more of the work that they do on behalf of the Queen.

Agreed. And this, I think, is what many have been trying to get across. Is there criticism of Meghan and/or Harry that is a product of racism? There absolutely is. Is all criticism of Meghan and/or Harry a product of racism? No, it absolutely isn't. Not all criticism of the Sussexes is a product of racism, classism, nationalism. Is some of it a product of those things? Yes and no one could possibly deny the truth in that. But all of it? No. Even the most ardent supporters of the Sussexes both celebrity and non-celebrity should be able to take the blinders off long enough to realize that some of this really is self-inflicted and until the Sussexes and their team and supporters realize this these kinds of things will continue.

Then there is Meghan (and Harry), the Queen has asked them to engage with the youth more. That means being more hands on. While I can't speak for a whole generation but the odds of making an impression or helping a charity just by cutting ribbons and attending an opening aren't very likely. Younger generations need to see that you truly care and are engaged or they are going to tune you out.

This is all very true, particularly the bolded part. However, the younger generation is very adept at social media and are used to it being a part of their lives 24/7. I can truthfully say that pretty much every member of the 40 and younger crowd that I know fits the bolded part to a T. That being said, they also are very quick to call out the "do as I say and not as I do" type behaviors that have been such a focus of this thread lately. I absolutely agree that they need to see the BRF as truly caring and engaged if they are to continue to be relevant to that younger generation but they also need to see them as practicing what they preach because if they're seen to do otherwise this generation will quickly and sharply tune them out.

> There is quite a lot of what you say in your post that I agree with. A lot of the missteps are indeed self-inflicted.

> The drama surrounding their missteps in the press and on social media though, must be debilitating after a point. Rather than digging their heals in, thinking carefully on how to address the matter might be more productive.

> Racism, Classism, Nationalism: My own two pennies worth is that whilst there may have been some racism (calling Archie a monkey cannot be justified, period), a lot of it is, IMO, a direct result of the complete breakdown of the relationship between Harry and the media (see below). There is always a degree of classism ("Doors to Manual"!) in the UK media. As regards nationalism, as the outsider, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to work out that Meghan will need to work very heard to establish her relationship with the great British public, and to earn their respect.

> Harry had a good working relationship with the media, but he seems to have singularly destroyed that in recent years. I hope he realises that this, indeed, is a this symbiotic relationship, and the sooner they can reset the relationship, the better it will be for them.

> I also think they need to be clear to their close friends like Jessica Mulroney and others that "defending" H&M online only adds fuel to the fire, and prolongs whatever the story of the day is.

> Your point about "old stories" like the financing of the renovations at Frogmore Cottage are completely valid. With the speed with which "new" stories develop, why bother with the old ones?

> Renovations to Anmer and Bagshot Park were not funded by the taxpayer. Anmer is privately owned, and the purchase of the lease on Bagshot Park was privately funded by HM. The only funding by the government for these properties would have related to security related expenses, including ensuring adequate space for RPO's whist on duty. Clarence House was different as it was the official residence of the PoW.

> I appreciate there is no standard rule book and each royal develops their own role and "space". Whilst H&M work through and identify the causes and charities they want to support, I so do hope they will focus a lot more of their attention to the local, British causes. I am not suggesting that Sentebale or the Commonwealth work be ignored, but the bulk of the effort should, IMO, be on local causes.

All of this is spot on. Every word. I'm positive that you will be in for some argument and criticism with these statements but you've absolutely hit the nail on the head here.

Agreed. And this, I think, is what many have been trying to get across. Is there criticism of Meghan and/or Harry that is a product of racism? There absolutely is. Is all criticism of Meghan and/or Harry a product of racism? No, it absolutely isn't. Not all criticism of the Sussexes is a product of racism, classism, nationalism. Is some of it a product of those things? Yes and no one could possibly deny the truth in that. But all of it? No. Even the most ardent supporters of the Sussexes both celebrity and non-celebrity should be able to take the blinders off long enough to realize that some of this really is self-inflicted and until the Sussexes and their team and supporters realize this these kinds of things will continue.

Exactly, very good post Heather, you are summing up how a number of people view the situation.

This is all very true, particularly the bolded part. However, the younger generation is very adept at social media and are used to it being a part of their lives 24/7. I can truthfully say that pretty much every member of the 40 and younger crowd that I know fits the bolded part to a T. That being said, they also are very quick to call out the "do as I say and not as I do" type behaviors that have been such a focus of this thread lately. I absolutely agree that they need to see the BRF as truly caring and engaged if they are to continue to be relevant to that younger generation but they also need to see them as practicing what they preach because if they're seen to do otherwise this generation will quickly and sharply tune them out.

Harry never told anyone they shouldn't fly even by private jet because sometimes that is the more practical or safest way to travel. He has said that we should be aware of the things we do to the environment and make adjustments where we can. One example, could I walk to work instead of drive of course? But it would take me forever to get there so I'm not going to do that. But I will do or be aware of is how often I drive, look for a more environmentally friendly car when I go to purchase one, etc. There are also other ways to support the environment recycling, reducing chemical usage, to name a few.

I don't think the Sussexes are perfect but I really don't see anything that they have done (self-inflicted) that would warrant the kind of abuse they are getting. Especially when the majority of the royals do the same or similar things and get praised for it. The only thing they have really done differently is the photoshoot just hours after Archie was born instead they deferred it 2 days and had a more calm environment. There was the mix up in notifying the media when Meghan went into labor but the abuse started long before then.

Why do we not just move on to something else, lets all agree to disagree.

Old news is now being re hashed.

Whats done is done, it cannot be changed.

I cut the Sussexes a lot of slack as freshly marrieds/living in the same household and first time parents. Even if you are used to public attention, the personal changes, wonderful as they are, must be big ones for both of them.

I would love to see more of the usual public side of them in action, boots on the ground with ordinary people, like we saw as newlyweds before adjustments had to be made for the coming baby. i am weary of the tendency of press coverage towards painting them as the second coming of the Clooneys because I think they are truly interesting people that deserve better and are naturally more likable.

Hopefully as baby Archie gets a little older we'll see their schedules and the coverage trend back to the familiar. I love glamour, fashion, and babies beyond all reason but am more than ready to see what happens a few months down the road in their public schedules.

Held off commenting the past few weeks here during VENT fest and think the mods handled this forum admirably while members let off a little steam. :flowers:

granted, both Harry and Meghan have been through alot in a short time. just getting married is stressful, as is having a child. add in Meghan changing religions, and moving to England. again, I wish them (and archie) only the best.

I personally admire The Clooneys more than Meghan and Harry. Bottom line is The Clooneys are celebrities/an international lawyer. Meghan chose to marry a Prince and join his world, recently she seems to be playing the role of an A Lister rather than a Duchess.

Recently? Meghan has been on maternity leave for six months and for ages she wasn't seen. She and Harry attended one A list event, the Lion King premiere, in that time, and that was to aid projects in Africa.

It’s a shame how folks been treating a woman that’s been working hard behind the scenes for her patronage’s and on other projects while pregnant and then on maternity leave. She even conducted two foreign royal trips while pregnant. Royal duties comes first for her.

Being pregnant does not save you from criticism, it's not a disability. Meghan for a long time has been conducting herself as half royal and half celebrity; Harry screwed up recently with the environment talk and taking a jet to a summit. The 2nd tier couple is always open to more criticism ala Andrew and Sarah; remember the flack Sarah got for taking handouts? I think the criticism towards the Sussexes is also a build up to the last time Harry seemed to be lecturing about the video games.
To me, Meghan needs to stay away from politics and Vogue and go back to speeches and ribbon cutting putting her feet on the cement.

I criticize the Cambridges/Kate as well so I don't play favs.

Criticism is also often exaggerated. Meghan and Harry have made some mistakes, but they don't deserve much criticism either. William and Kate now seem to be running away from controversy and are taking on more and more responsibilities. The Sussex and Cambridge have to move away from controversy and show more and more work and I believe that is what they will do.

Being pregnant does not save you from criticism, it's not a disability. Meghan for a long time has been conducting herself as half royal and half celebrity; Harry screwed up recently with the environment talk and taking a jet to a summit. The 2nd tier couple is always open to more criticism ala Andrew and Sarah; remember the flack Sarah got for taking handouts? I think the criticism towards the Sussexes is also a build up to the last time Harry seemed to be lecturing about the video games.
To me, Meghan needs to stay away from politics and Vogue and go back to speeches and ribbon cutting putting her feet on the cement.

What I’m saying is that Meghan hasn’t really stopped working even while carrying a baby and taking care of the baby at home. Her focus has been on her work and royal duties the entire time — while others are focused on the petty stuff.

She haven’t gotten involved with politics and her guest editing Vogue was for her work, not out of self interest.

People abusing her because she’s a former actress and know some well known people is pretty much ridiculous. If people are going to come down on her for working with and knowing some celebrities, then let’s slam all other members of the family for doing the same. Yeah, lets slam her brother-in-law, father-in-law for working with celebrities for charities and begging to get them on board to support their patronage’s. Let not single Meghan out because she’s of her former experiences. Let’s slam them all and force them to drop every single celebrity from their friends list and their charitable donor list.

Let’s do that, please. :bang:

Last edited:

If someone truly does something wrong then yes they should be criticized for it, however, Meghan got dumped on for petty reasons, many of which were untrue and criticized for things that other royals were praised for. This shouldn't be heaped on anyone let alone someone who is pregnant and post-partum.

Just curious what has Meghan done as a royal that was political? What was so wrong with the Vogue issue? (The public, for the most part, don't seem to mind as many stores keep running out of the issue). How is ribbon-cutting helping the citizens of the UK and/or Commonwealth? If she just gives speeches isn't that lecturing...something some people are whining about?

Harry has been no different than any other royal who has talked about the environment and taken a private plane. He and Meghan at least tried to make up for the difference.... the more we learn the more we can make plan travel, in general, safer for the environment. As for video games, people do need to pay attention to and be aware of them, for many they can become addictive. Harry/Meghan (other royals, experts, celebrities) bring things to our attention to consider but ultimately the decisions are ours to make or not make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom