The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:48 PM
Royal Highness

Reliable royal reporter, Omid Scobie, has written a well-sourced article in Harper's Bazaar, putting to rest all the recent rumors regarding the Sussexes future plans for their role in aiding the British monarchy:

I think Omid's account is a lot more convincing as it appears to come more directly from the Sussexes themselves, in addition to citing a KP source's denial of Prince William's involvement:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...ork-in-africa/

"... a source close to the Sussexes tells BAZAAR.com that while projects across several of the Commonwealth states—'will absolutely' play a large role in the couple’s work over the next few years, leaving the U.K. for more than a year is not the plan. 'These discussions, which the couple are driving, are very much embryonic,' says the source, who is familiar with a number of their future endeavors. 'Both the duke and duchess are keen to balance projects in Britain and overseas, particularly countries in Africa. There are many exciting possibilities … but moving away for years? That’s not an idea they are throwing around. We’re talking a few months away or a series of trips...'

In other words, there's really nothing extraordinarily new or even fully formed that has yet been decided. The article also addresses the ridiculous claims about Prince William being involved:

“'Not the case,' says a Kensington Palace source. 'Prince William has nothing to do with these plans. The Duke supports whatever the couple choose to do.' Adds the Sussex friend, 'Let’s be clear about one thing: Any decision the [Sussexes] make about their future will be made by themselves for themselves. Aside from the Queen and Prince Charles, they’re not looking to other family members ... for guidance. Harry and Meghan have always wanted to reach people on a global level and that is the only thing that’s motivating them.'

...'[The Sussexes] have just moved into a beautiful new home and are focused on family life,' says a close confidante of Meghan, who notes that the duchess' mother, Doria Ragland, has been a guest at Frogmore Cottage since Tuesday, April 16. 'They’re not thinking about anything else right now—especially not what the press are saying.'"

Old 04-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The discussion about the whether the Sussexes plan to spend time in Africa, has been massively cleaned up. We’ve deleted:
  • The back and forth discussion about who wrote the Times articles
  • Rumors about the Cambridge marriage
  • Posts pushing the idea that William or Charles are behind the leaks against Meghan
  • Posts that claim William or Charles are jealous of the Sussexes and their popularity and want to get rid of them.
Let’s keep the discussion fact based and stay away from fanciful speculation and rumors. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting that, Maia Mia. That was very interesting, and, although I take everything that any RR says with a grain of salt, this version of the current state of affairs seems likely to be much closer to the truth than any of the wild and insulting speculation we saw from The Times and other papers.

The one comment that did stand out a bit to me was this: "Aside from the Queen and Prince Charles, they’re not looking to other family members, or their teams, for guidance.” If that is true, it makes them sound a little--looking for the right word here--headstrong? arrogant? The not taking input from family members sounds reasonable, although I'm sure they are both aware that at some point, hopefully far in the future, William will indeed have the final say in anything they propose to do. The not taking input from their teams makes me wonder why not? If they aren't open to advice or feedback, that seems an inherently risky position to take. I hope the friend who made that comment didn't mean it the way it sounded.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Thanks for posting that, Maia Mia. That was very interesting, and, although I take everything that any RR says with a grain of salt, this version of the current state of affairs seems likely to be much closer to the truth than any of the wild and insulting speculation we saw from The Times and other papers.

The one comment that did stand out a bit to me was this: "Aside from the Queen and Prince Charles, they’re not looking to other family members, or their teams, for guidance.” If that is true, it makes them sound a little--looking for the right word here--headstrong? arrogant? The not taking input from family members sounds reasonable, although I'm sure they are both aware that at some point, hopefully far in the future, William will indeed have the final say in anything they propose to do. The not taking input from their teams makes me wonder why not? If they aren't open to advice or feedback, that seems an inherently risky position to take. I hope the friend who made that comment didn't mean it the way it sounded.
I wouldn’t know if that’s headstrong. KP hasn’t always had the best advisors frankly. And too many cooks ruin the soup. Even in this instance, I find the comments from source close to Cambridges to be far less adequate than the comments from source close to Sussexes. The comments seemed very concise and clear with laser focus. It addresses what needs to be addressed and not try to over reach into what another household is thinking.

And frankly, as long as they are taking guidance from HM and Prince Charles, I have no doubt they’ll be successful. While William will be in charge one day, he’s got a lot more to learn himself. And if we want to go the practical route, he’s not footing the bill yet. I’m sure he’ll get a say when he starts to foot the bill.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I don't see what's so inadequate about the comments from the alleged Cambridge source. They said William isn't involved in the discussions, but supports their decision. That's pretty concise and to the point. I'm not sure what else needs to be said.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Who said anything about KP? Meghan and Harry are no longer under the KP umbrella, so the reference to "their team" clearly doesn't include Kensington Palace. I also neither said nor implied that William should have a say in what they are doing right now, but inevitably he will have a say--in fact, the final say. I agree that he doesn't need to be involved now, just pointing out that he will be at some point.

My point was that they do have a team. Why have one, if they neither respect nor trust anyone on that team to give them advice? We've been talking a lot about competence, and clearly there is a deficit in some areas of KP, CH, and BP. In their position, I'd be looking to find people whose opinions I do trust and whose input could be relied on to be honest and well informed.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Who said anything about KP? Meghan and Harry are no longer under the KP umbrella, so the reference to "their team" clearly doesn't include Kensington Palace. I also neither said nor implied that William should have a say in what they are doing right now, but inevitably he will have a say--in fact, the final say. I agree that he doesn't need to be involved now, just pointing out that he will be at some point.

My point was that they do have a team. Why have one, if they neither respect nor trust anyone on that team to give them advice? We've been talking a lot about competence, and clearly there is a deficit in some areas of KP, CH, and BP. In their position, I'd be looking to find people whose opinions I do trust and whose input could be relied on to be honest and well informed.
I don’t see it as they are not listening to their team. In fact, they are the head of that team even if the technical reporting structure isn’t to them but to other courtiers. I took it as referring outside of their household. The comment specifically refers to other family members and their team.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I don’t see it as they are not listening to their team. In fact, they are the head of that team even if the technical reporting structure isn’t to them but to other courtiers. I took it as referring outside of their household. The comment specifically refers to other family members and their team.
You may be right, but the "their team" is ambiguous. My first reading was that the reference was to their own team. Your reading certainly makes more sense.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You may be right, but the "their team" is ambiguous. My first reading was that the reference was to their own team. Your reading certainly makes more sense.
I just read it again. It said “...other family members, or their teams...”. The plural and order are what led me to read as other family members’ teams.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:59 PM
Majesty

I feel that this story is a total non-event. The Sussexes cannot go off working in any Commonwealth country as the whim takes them. Just like everyone else, they go where they are sent and they are sent where countries have invited them via the Foreign Office or HM. Nothing has changed.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I just read it again. It said “...other family members, or their teams...”. The plural and order are what led me to read as other family members’ teams.
I reread it too, and I think you are correct. The insertion of a comma after "family members" read to me as though the "their teams" had nothing to do with the family members and instead was a reference to their own (H and M's) team. It was bad phrasing, though, so I also see why I misread it.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

One thing I've come to realize is that no matter who the reporter is or who their sources are (named and unnamed), they will never have a full, complete story about the inner workings of the "Firm", its plans or its methods of operation. We get blips here and pieces there and it gets spun into something totally different than what it really is.

Things are changing to adapt to the upcoming and inevitable new reign with Charles taking on more and more with his mother and hence why, in my mind, it could be stated that Charles is very much monarch-in-training. HM seems to be intent that her precious monarchy enters the new reign as smoothly as possible.

HM has entrusted The Queen's Commonwealth Trust for Harry and Meghan to carry into the future and Harry is a Youth Ambassador to the Commonwealth and Meghan is patron of the Association of Commonwealth Universities. This is pretty much a clear cut clue as to a dedication to the Commonwealth going into the future.

With the office and staff of the Sussexes now moving into BP, its become its own entity within the Firm and much easier to cater solely to the needs of Harry and Meghan, the work they do, the work they want to do and focus on their goals exclusively. Just as William and Kate's will do for them and Andrew for his and Anne's for her. The Queen and Charles are the hub of the operation. Until the Queen dies, Charles is still footing the bill for expenses of the Sussex couple and with them already in place at BP, they're already ensconced for when Charles becomes the monarch and they'll continue to be supported by Charles. William and his family, as its separate entity now is preparing the household to be financed by the Duchy of Cornwall and concentrate solely on the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall (and Cambridge)'s affairs and focus on where they're going.

It seems so very odd to us to see all this moving and shaking and relocating and the rumors have abounded to the nth degree. One thing I haven't really seen anyone mention at all is its all preparation more so than it is anything else. Just as Harry and Meghan have prepared for the birth of their first child and have moved into a family home, so are things being done ahead of time to ensure that the monarchy's "Firm" runs like a well oiled machine.

Remember too that at one time, it was the norm for Charles and Anne to do a lot of things together. As their roles grew, they also went their on their own separate paths with their own separate offices. Its now happening with William and Harry and the culprit is they're both taking on more and more as full time working royals for the "Firm" with different aims and different goals and in different directions. They can cover more that way.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

The work on the Sussex Foundation has already started-
https://mobile.twitter.com/scobie/st...45036461674501

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...ew-foundation/

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-20-2019, 08:32 PM
Majesty

Except when you read the article there’s no specifics and it’s still “early days”.

As I said in the other thread, the devil will be in the details. A foundation can be something as simple as a piece of paper. We’ll have to wait and see.

It doesn’t sound promising to me.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I have no doubt they’ll do great things together.

Harry has already proven himself with Sentebale and IG. Sentebale was established when he was a young man and is now a fully operational charity on its own. IG continues to do great things in offering injured soldiers a purpose and something to work towards.

Meghan is quite creative and doesn’t just confine herself to the same ole same ole. Together has seen great success and have not only reached its goals, but have empowered the women of Hubb to branch out in their own causes. It was not only a great project to benefit Hubb, but self sufficient.

I’ve always admired their work. And now it’ll be exciting to witness their work together in the future.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Except when you read the article there’s no specifics and it’s still “early days”.

As I said in the other thread, the devil will be in the details. A foundation can be something as simple as a piece of paper. We’ll have to wait and see.

It is in it’s early days. It takes time to set up a charitable foundation. They should be excited to start this new journey. The details will be released once they’re ready to release it.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

The devil is in the details, and after having a careful look through of the financial statements of 2018-2019 of the Royal Foundation, I would say H&M are getting out just in the nick of time. There were "certain" projects that were not generating much income and was actually taking money from other projects to keep afloat. It's a long report but it's important to do your own due diligences and read through the report carefully. Here is a copy.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk...181231_E_C.PDF

Personally, I hope that the individual projects from H&M goes with them to their new foundation, and that they focus on one 1 or 2 individual projects that requires serious fundraising in a year instead of just listing off a bunch initiatives just to say that they have something to do.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 PM
Majesty

Yes I agree. It would be much better to branch out and concentrate on a couple of initiatives than have a scattering of ventures. I hope at least one assists British people, otherwise there might well be more criticism.

I'm delighted that the Sussexes are on their own and I'm sure they're delighted at the prospect of new endeavours. I hope the new Foundation will be given a chance by the media though, and there won't be immediate comparisons about donations etc. The new Foundation needs at least a year of full operation before praise or criticism.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes I agree. It would be much better to branch out and concentrate on a couple of initiatives than have a scattering of ventures. I hope at least one assists British people, otherwise there might well be more criticism.

I'm delighted that the Sussexes are on their own and I'm sure they're delighted at the prospect of new endeavours. I hope the new Foundation will be given a chance by the media though, and there won't be immediate comparisons about donations etc. The new Foundation needs at least a year of full operation before praise or criticism.
Completely agree. It would be great if they start with 2 projects (1 British and 1 Commonwealth). It would also be interesting in how they go about fund-raising. So far, they have done really well, ie. the cookbook that is still selling on Amazon, but the numbers are only through the end of December 2018. The Endeavor fund and Invictus also does well in the fundraising department, but I still think they are going to need to really zero in and focus, especially the first year overhead cost which is what could make or break any charity.

I do wonder how they are going to do the start up. They are going to need some serious backing to get this off the ground.

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't both Harry and William originally invest a portion of their trust from Diana in the Foundation? I'm not sure.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:49 PM
Majesty

According to this Telegraph article they both 'contributed a six figure sum from their own personal fortunes' to begin the Foundation in 2009.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...oundation.html

Closed Thread