Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: April-September 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Father Boyle speaks movingly on YouTube about Harry and Meghan's visit to HomeBoy Industries, the charity organisation he set up in 1986.

^^^ All I can think when I see videos like this is this is how Charles got Corona.

He got it before lockdown. No masks. Touching. The works. Although they are all looking pretty packed here.

It is lovely they are doing this charity work but I am increasing seeing it as the poor relation a bit. I mean what are they doing differently from royalmwork. Nothing.

He got it before lockdown. No masks. Touching. The works. Although they are all looking pretty packed here.

It is lovely they are doing this charity work but I am increasing seeing it as the poor relation a bit. I mean what are they doing differently from royalmwork. Nothing.

Their charity work during lockdown seems to have been short lived.. There was that thing about a month or 2 ago where they were delivering food... and now presumably a day or 2 doing this work.
But what else can they do but the same sort of things they did as royals? (or turn to public speaking for money rather than as part of theier job). Harry wasn't going to get a desk job in a business... Meghan isn't that likely to return to acting.

Their charity work during lockdown seems to have been short lived.. There was that thing about a month or 2 ago where they were delivering food... and now presumably a day or 2 doing this work.
Are we sure that the Sussexes are only doing these charity jobs for a few days and not regularly but without being photographed? For instance Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden has been volunteering at the kitchen belonging to an organisation for the homeless and vulnerable for months during the crisis without it being brought to media attention more than two-three times. Same goes for the Countess of Wessex who's been doing charity work most days during the pandemic with only the occasional pictures being taken.

Yep - we really don't know what is happening. I expect after lockdown we might - I know that many royals do not do personal charity work with publicity as it is not done morally. So yep - what do we know?

Are we sure that the Sussexes are only doing these charity jobs for a few days and not regularly but without being photographed? For instance Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden has been volunteering at the kitchen belonging to an organisation for the homeless and vulnerable for months during the crisis without it being brought to media attention more than two-three times. Same goes for the Countess of Wessex who's been doing charity work most days during the pandemic with only the occasional pictures being taken.

Short answr: yes.
Long answer: if it was longer than a handful of days their PR would have made sure to share that information, as would the charities too.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, Im not sure.. but Sophie Wessex never gets much media attenton. So I can beleive that she has been doing it quietly for a couple of months.

Long answer: if it was longer than a handful of days their PR would have made sure to share that information, as would the charities too.

Well its true that when she was in Canada, and visited a charity, it was on the web in no time, from the charity itself. So I agree its quite likley that these have been one off visits.

Sorry, you know this for sure how exactly? I’m assuming due to your certainty you’ve either got the inside track on them or you’ve been with them 24/7 since lockdown.

The assumption that the press would be them at every volunteering session they’ve done has been proven incorrect, they were volunteering at the soup kitchen (correct me if I’m wrong on the exact location) in LA and we only knew due to the CCTV imagery that was released.

Your cynicism doesn’t mean it’s fact.

Sorry, you know this for sure how exactly? I’m assuming due to your certainty you’ve either got the inside track on them or you’ve been with them 24/7 since lockdown.

The assumption that the press would be them at every volunteering session they’ve done has been proven incorrect, they were volunteering at the soup kitchen (correct me if I’m wrong on the exact location) in LA and we only knew due to the CCTV imagery that was released.

If I recall correctly they were delivering food, not working in the soup kitchen. And a picture appeared on the Net in short order...

As for not doing much charity work right now, did we expect them to do a lot of hands on work charity? Royals don't tend to do that much other then tours. And those have been limited with covid. They could have been doing plenty of video calls like the other royals.

They are not about to announce their new charity work or their business plans during all of this.

Past behavior is indicative of present and potential future behavior.
My comment and deduction of the situation is based upon Harry and Meghan own past behavior, which is also their current behavior.

As for not doing much charity work right now, did we expect them to do a lot of hands on work charity? Royals don't tend to do that much other then tours. And those have been limited with covid. They could have been doing plenty of video calls like the other royals.

They are not about to announce their new charity work or their business plans during all of this.

And as they're not working royals, they could certainly do hands on charity work. They are free now to break with the old traditions and devote themselves to a more hands on, doing something practical role.

Past behavior is indicative of present and potential future behavior.

My comment and deduction of the situation is based upon Harry and Meghan own past behavior, which is also their current behavior.

Then I would refrain from using certainties when it’s impossible to know if your dedications are true or not.

Saying something is or isn’t, is different to vocalising your opinion of said something.

:previous:

The duke references "unconscious bias" as if it were uncontestable. Unconscious bias is a theory not a fact. Accepted by some but dismissed by others as pseudoscience without any empirical evidence.

The duke states that institutional racism is "endemic" in "our" societies. Presumably the UK is one of those societies. Some will agree & some will not. Either way this is a contentious statement.

This is presumably another example of the "progressive new role" the couple talked about. What any of these ideas have to do with being a member of the royal family I really don't know.

Last edited:
I personally think Harry was right in his comments. He would also know - Meghan has been subject to numerous racist portrayals and attacks online, as has Archie.

To me racism is not an opinion that should be debated. It's a fact that it's there and very present in our society.

I personally think Harry was right in his comments. He would also know - Meghan has been subject to numerous racist portrayals and attacks online, as has Archie.

To me racism is not an opinion that should be debated. It's a fact that it's there and very present in our society.

Thank you. It becomes real when you see it up close. I think Harry has seen it and that takes it from theory to reality. We, as humans, need to be willing to learn and grow.

Thank you. It becomes real when you see it up close. I think Harry has seen it and that takes it from theory to reality. We, as humans, need to be willing to learn and grow.

One could also argue it's a privilege not to see racism as a real issue in our society - I know some people hate the "p" word. ;)

He said "institutional racism" was "endemic". That's very different from saying racism exists in society.

One could also argue it's a privilege not to see racism as a real issue in our society - I know some people hate the "p" word. ;)

Well to be fair I didn't. I said that the idea that institutional racism was endemic was a contentious idea. And it is.

He said "institutional racism" was "endemic". That's very different from saying racism exists in society.

I know what Harry said. It's a different way from saying it but it does hit home the stark realities of racism. 120 black people have been killed by the American police since George Floyd's death, which is probably what Harry was referring to when he said "endemic". Just because we might not be on the receiving end of racism, doesn't mean we should deny the fact it exists in large numbers.

Well to be fair I didn't. I said that the idea that institutional racism was endemic was a contentious idea. And it is.

Wasn't referring to you.

The duke references "unconscious bias" as if it were uncontestable. Unconscious bias is a theory not a fact. Accepted by some but dismissed by others as pseudoscience without any empirical evidence.

The duke states that institutional racism is "endemic" in "our" societies. Presumably the UK is one of those societies. Some will agree & some will not. Either way this is a contentious statement.

This is presumably another example of the "progressive new role" the couple talked about. What any of these ideas have to do with being a member of the royal family I really don't know.

Unfortunately racism has been made into a political issue in the US-- so Harry talking about it will not still well with the Palace.

I know what Harry said. It's a different way from saying it but it does hit home the stark realities of racism. 120 black people have been killed by the American police since George Floyd's death, which is probably what Harry was referring to when he said "endemic". Just because we might not be on the receiving end of racism, doesn't mean we should deny the fact it exists in large numbers.

Wasn't referring to you.

I understand what you're saying & I don't disagree but "institutional racism" in the UK has a very specific meaning. I'm thinking back to the Macpherson Report into the Met Police.

That's cool.?

Last edited:

I am not adverse to the "p" word. I am all for people recognizing whatever category of it they might have and trying to learn, understand and correct.? If Harry is growing and learning that is a good thing.

I am not adverse to the "p" word. I am all for people recognizing whatever category of it they might have and trying to learn, understand and correct.? If Harry is growing and learning that is a good thing.

He's a member of the royal family. He's supposed to represent the crown & be non controversial.

The idea that people in Britain want their royal family to be activists is for the birds.

But, as has been pointed out on these threads dozens of times, by various posters, Harry is no longer Royal or even a member of the BRF . Nor does he represent the Crown, as so many have emphasised here.

So, Harry is not allowed to express any opinions because he is Royal, but he is not Royal? Something of a conundrum there!

There is actually quite some psychological research into the concept of 'unconscious bias'; and so far it all points in the same direction: it exists. The question how it impacts behavior is one that is a bit more contested as it is harder to measure directly as other factors could also come into play.

But, as has been pointed out on these threads dozens of times, by various posters, Harry is no longer Royal or even a member of the BRF . Nor does he represent the Crown, as so many have emphasised here.

So, Harry is not allowed to express any opinions because he is Royal, but he is not Royal? Something of a conundrum there!

Exactly. He chose a somewhat difficult path for himself. He is still closely tied to the monarch (and will be even closer as the king's son and later brother) and in line to the throne, so will have to keep that in mind for the rest of his life; which means avoiding controversy; while at the same time he decided to no longer be a full working member of the royal family. So, he needs to craft out a path for him and his family that does justice to both realities.

Luckily, there are several examples of princes in other royal houses who manage just fine, so, it isn't impossible. He could probably talk to prince Constantijn of the Netherlands who has managed a comparable position quite well... And there are others he shouldn't go to for advice such as princess Märtha Louise (of Norway).

Last edited:
Exactly. He chose a somewhat difficult path for himself. He is still closely tied to the monarch (and will be even closer as the king's son and later brother) and in line to the throne, so will have to keep that in mind for the rest of his life; which means avoiding controversy; while at the same time he decided to no longer be a full working member of the royal family. So, he needs to craft out a path for him and his family that does justice to both realities.

It is a difficult road to go. The best way I look at it for guidance of what they should or should not be doing is actually boiled down to *one* statement that the Sussexes have made clear and this comes from the horse's mouth (I mean figurately and not Carltonlima Emma's)

"With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.

The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family."

https://www.royal.uk/statement-her-majesty-queen-0

If Harry and Meghan have made clear that they will uphold the values of the Queen, this is the yardstick by which their actions and words should be measured by.

He’s an HRH and if he wants to keep being one than there are going to be restricted on what opinions they can publicly express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom