The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-29-2020, 02:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I agree, ACO. Since day one, the Sussexes never once said that they would abandon, forget, nullify their involvement or ignore the charities, organizations and the incentives that they were already involved with in the UK and elsewhere.

I am wont to believe that when they support their already existing commitments, they *are* doing it as TRH, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. They *are* still royal. That hasn't changed at all. They just cannot and will not use anything denoting "royal" in commercial ventures in the future. It is only in commercial business dealings that they are to eliminate all connections to being the "royals" that they still are. This nullifies any illusion that their business ventures are connected to the BRF and the monarchy.

I can understand where this can get confusing. So much is still confusing about this couple.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I am wont to believe that when they support their already existing commitments, they *are* doing it as TRH, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. They *are* still royal. That hasn't changed at all. They just cannot and will not use anything denoting "royal" in commercial ventures in the future. It is only in commercial business dealings that they are to eliminate all connections to being the "royals" that they still are. This nullifies any illusion that their business ventures are connected to the BRF and the monarchy.
Respectfully, I don't agree. I think BP made it pretty clear in their statement:

"As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from royal duties, including official military appointments.

They will no longer receive public funds for royal duties. With The Queen's blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.

The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family."

So yes, they are still members of the royal family - but they are not working royals, so they can't represent any organization as TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Any patronages they kept are private patronages that they can represent as Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and while doing so they can't use their HRH titles. Let's not rewrite history here when it was all explained by the BP.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Good points, Fem. That's how the Sussexes and the Queen and the royal family and we see it but that will never stop the connection people make about them being "royal" because they actually *are* still TRH, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. They just don't *use* the TRH after March 31st. They have not been stripped formally of the HRH honorific form of address.

"Although they will no longer use the "HRH" title, they will not officially be stripped of them, as Prince Harry remains a prince and is still sixth-in-line to the throne."

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/is-princ...lained-1369303

I think it kind of is reminiscent of all the years that Diana was referred to as "Princess Diana". Diana, herself, would correct people on this but it never really sunk in that she was never "Princess Diana".

The most important thing at all, at least to me, is that no matter what they are called, they continue to keep in contact and support commitments that they took on before exiting as senior working royals for the "Firm".
Old 05-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Nobility

Osipi, I like you far too much to argue about this, and I honestly feel like this is a discussion for the titles thread and not here, so I don't have any further comment, we'll just have to agree to disagree
Old 05-30-2020, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Let's move on please - if we stick to the actual topic of the thread here and elsewhere instead of questioning and re-analysing everything whenever there is any news it will be a lot simpler to accept and understand the Sussex's situation.

Posts unrelated to Current Events have been moved to the General News thread: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...0-a-47411.html
Old 06-24-2020, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: April 2020-

An event for Meghan and Henry yesterday, they visited Homeboy Industries in LA to work alongside the cafe and bakery teams For #feedhope;

https://twitter.com/homeboyind/statu...372914690?s=21

Some background;

ďThe org is run by @FrGregBoyle, who the Sussexes have been speaking with about the racial justice movement.
Meghan first met Father Boyle 20 years ago at a @HomeboyInd cooking workshop (they made tamales!) alongside mom Doria after he worked closely with the @IHPandas School.Ē

https://twitter.com/scobie/status/12...831838722?s=21
Old 06-24-2020, 02:57 PM
Majesty

That's a wonderful cause and I'm so glad that Harry and Meghan have been there to support it. Interesting that Meghan (and Doria) met Father Boyle two decades ago now.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
That's a wonderful cause and I'm so glad that Harry and Meghan have been there to support it. Interesting that Meghan (and Doria) met Father Boyle two decades ago now.

Seems like she has a heart for charity work, and always has.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

I am hoping after the Covid situation changes we will see more and more of these types of events.

LaRae
Old 06-25-2020, 03:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Wonderful visit, and great initiative to see them both involved with.

The organization's website.

https://homeboyindustries.org/

I love that Meghan has reconnected with a charity she was involved with when she was younger. We have heard her speak of volunteering with soup kitchens and such when she was a teen.

Charity work started early, decades before she married Harry.

Reading the website this group has a lot of great initiatives and could use all the good pr this visit will bring.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:52 PM
Majesty

Father Boyle speaks movingly on YouTube about Harry and Meghan's visit to HomeBoy Industries, the charity organisation he set up in 1986.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:53 PM
Nobility

^^^ All I can think when I see videos like this is this is how Charles got Corona.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
^^^ All I can think when I see videos like this is this is how Charles got Corona.
He got it before lockdown. No masks. Touching. The works. Although they are all looking pretty packed here.

It is lovely they are doing this charity work but I am increasing seeing it as the poor relation a bit. I mean what are they doing differently from royalmwork. Nothing.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
He got it before lockdown. No masks. Touching. The works. Although they are all looking pretty packed here.

It is lovely they are doing this charity work but I am increasing seeing it as the poor relation a bit. I mean what are they doing differently from royalmwork. Nothing.
Their charity work during lockdown seems to have been short lived.. There was that thing about a month or 2 ago where they were delivering food... and now presumably a day or 2 doing this work.
But what else can they do but the same sort of things they did as royals? (or turn to public speaking for money rather than as part of theier job). Harry wasn't going to get a desk job in a business... Meghan isn't that likely to return to acting.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Their charity work during lockdown seems to have been short lived.. There was that thing about a month or 2 ago where they were delivering food... and now presumably a day or 2 doing this work.
Are we sure that the Sussexes are only doing these charity jobs for a few days and not regularly but without being photographed? For instance Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden has been volunteering at the kitchen belonging to an organisation for the homeless and vulnerable for months during the crisis without it being brought to media attention more than two-three times. Same goes for the Countess of Wessex who's been doing charity work most days during the pandemic with only the occasional pictures being taken.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:21 AM
Serene Highness

Yep - we really don't know what is happening. I expect after lockdown we might - I know that many royals do not do personal charity work with publicity as it is not done morally. So yep - what do we know?
Old 06-26-2020, 04:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Are we sure that the Sussexes are only doing these charity jobs for a few days and not regularly but without being photographed? For instance Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden has been volunteering at the kitchen belonging to an organisation for the homeless and vulnerable for months during the crisis without it being brought to media attention more than two-three times. Same goes for the Countess of Wessex who's been doing charity work most days during the pandemic with only the occasional pictures being taken.
Short answr: yes.
Long answer: if it was longer than a handful of days their PR would have made sure to share that information, as would the charities too.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
No, Im not sure.. but Sophie Wessex never gets much media attenton. So I can beleive that she has been doing it quietly for a couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
Long answer: if it was longer than a handful of days their PR would have made sure to share that information, as would the charities too.
Well its true that when she was in Canada, and visited a charity, it was on the web in no time, from the charity itself. So I agree its quite likley that these have been one off visits.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post

Sorry, you know this for sure how exactly? Iím assuming due to your certainty youíve either got the inside track on them or youíve been with them 24/7 since lockdown.

The assumption that the press would be them at every volunteering session theyíve done has been proven incorrect, they were volunteering at the soup kitchen (correct me if Iím wrong on the exact location) in LA and we only knew due to the CCTV imagery that was released.

Your cynicism doesnít mean itís fact.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sorry, you know this for sure how exactly? Iím assuming due to your certainty youíve either got the inside track on them or youíve been with them 24/7 since lockdown.

The assumption that the press would be them at every volunteering session theyíve done has been proven incorrect, they were volunteering at the soup kitchen (correct me if Iím wrong on the exact location) in LA and we only knew due to the CCTV imagery that was released.

Your cynicism doesnít mean itís fact.
If I recall correctly they were delivering food, not working in the soup kitchen. And a picture appeared on the Net in short order...