Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: April-September 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this isn't a surprise, it's been rumoured for a while, in fact whilst they were still negotiating the exit and supposed half in half out deal. I'm sure a lot of people will watch what they create. It will be interesting to see what happens with title use because this is definitely a commercial venture.
My understanding is that Harry and Meghan can refer to themselves as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in their commercial ventures, the restriction is related to the His/Her/Their Royal Highness styling.

We have no idea what it is but the fact it is multi year and Netflix is calling it "mega" themselves leaves me to think it is a pretty penny. Even $50M is nothing to sniff at but who knows. I am sure we will learn more details eventually but I won't be surprised either way.

Another thing that plays in it is if a bidding war happened. It is claimed Disney, Apple, and Netflix went against each other and they picked Netflix. So it shall be interesting.

As for their house... I don't think they would have shelled it out lump sum. No need too especially when it is set up the way it is.

This is a way for them to earn a living and a good way, worth several million dollars. Netflix is a big player and it will be interesting to say what the couple produce for them in the next few years. I congratulate them on signing this deal.

Now the Sussexes are living in their own home (with their own mortgage) and they will be earning their own money in the future, hopefully independent of Charles then the majority of what has made them controversial in the past year has passed. I wish Harry and Meghan all the luck in the world in their new venture.

[...]

It also looks like a full-time job to me that will make any return to part-time royal duty even less likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]

It could be a $100 million deal. Netflix is known to throw outrageous sums of money around to get original content. I’m surprised they didn’t go with Oprah’s OWN.

[...]

Edited to add: The Netflix deal is apparently an “Options” deal. Which basically means that they have to present a finished product to Netflix and Netflix might buy it.

[...]

Its a good idea this deal. Great that they will be able to work on projects and content that they are passionate about. Its a great way for them to be able to make the kind of money they need.

[...]

[...]
I wish them all the best for this project! But this "Options" thingy sounds a bit to me, like they have to finance their product up-front, what means going into debt with the possibility to fail... I hope for them, a less risky possibility will be found!

Even if it's a $100 million deal, it's not guaranteed that their content would be good and that they would attract a large number of viewers. In fact, there are many good Netflix shows that got cancelled.

This contract has only just been signed and it seems to be a good deal all round. A bit early IMO to be speculating about possible failure before the couple has even got started with their first production. What if their shows are huge successes? I wish them all the luck in the world with this venture, and good on them for signing on with Netflix, an excellent start to a new career.

Thread closed for clean-up, as the Netflix deal is not a current event but falls under general news.

A closed thread is not an invitation to use other threads as a substitute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom