Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: April-September 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He will be able to get a green card because he is married to an U.S. citizen and has sufficient assets to support himself, even without working.

He's an ex Transport Minister who is no fan of the Royals. Wonder how many times he's been in private jets himself as well as flying commercially (just like Harry.)

And Harry wasn't 'preaching' to anyone anyone. He was addressing a travel symposium. If this unpleasant man wasn't interested there's no need for him to listen to what Harry's says. Or comment on it in the newspapers.

To be fair he has a point, its always going to be tiresome and controversial for someone who uses private jets to tell other people to make "greener choices".

I'm sure the ex minister has used private jets (though you'd be surprised how little UK ministers apart from the most senior ones are allowed to use private jets) and its not using private jets that is the issue here (though of course it is an issue for the environment) but doing so then telling people they need to make greener choices. The only reason for using private jets for H&M is because its quicker, more efficient and more secure - all of which could be same for any 'normal' person using scheduled flights vs trains, road or other means of transport so why should normal people have to make the "right choice" while H&M don't.

This is nothing new, Charles has been bashed with the same bat for using private jets to attend eco summits etc. You either take the bashing because the point is important or make the right choices more privately and keep quiet to avoid the charges of hypocrisy (not everything good has to be made public)

Harry can't say he didn't know this sort of charge would come about when he set up Travalyst.

I actually agree with the minister's point of view but agree that it does seem hypocritical since he himself has probably been on a lot of private jets. If he hasn't, though, fair play.

Meghan took part in the #19 summit today, interviewing the CEO and cofounder of the organisation. Hundreds more members were signed up as a result of the summit. Great news!

https://19thnews.org/

Last edited by a moderator:

Meghan took part in the #19 summit today, interviewing the CEO and cofounder of the organisation. Hundreds more members were signed up as a result of the summit. Great news!

https://19thnews.org/

She did really well. Both ladies did. I am looking forward to reading the 19th* newsletter. I perused the site and there are some interesting articles presented.

At least their backgrounds in these Zoom-calls look a bit more homey than the ones taken in LA.

I thought Meghan was going to interview the founder but it sounds as if she used it to share her points of view... I guess the 19th* target group was fine with that.

Last edited:
At least their backgrounds in these Zoom-calls look a bit more homey than the ones taken in LA.

I thought Meghan was going to interview the founder but it sounds as if she used it to share her points of view... I guess the 19th* target group was fine with that.

I expected her to use her experience to frame her interview questions and spark discussion. I suspect they would have discussed approach. I have worked for a few years as a speechwriter and Comms advisor, and have seen these types of negotiations on approach happen.

They sort of interviewed each other.

They look great. What a nice chat and interested in researching these organizations more. Congrats to the recent graduates!

Am I the only one who finds it odd that they are continuing to be allowed to have leading roles in the QCT despite seemingly having no interest in primarily living and working in a Commonwealth country? Seems a bit hypocritical.

Evidently the Queen is fine with it...she could of removed them.

LaRae

Evidently the Queen is fine with it...she could of removed them.

LaRae

She may be hoping that at the end of the year they will retrun to the UK and does not want to pull the rug away....

Am I the only one who finds it odd that they are continuing to be allowed to have leading roles in the QCT despite seemingly having no interest in primarily living and working in a Commonwealth country? Seems a bit hypocritical.

No, you are not. At least Harry is still a citizen of a Commonwealth country while Meghan is not and most likely never will be.

Probably by now the BRF understands that it wasn't such a good idea to let them keep their royal patronages but now in some kind of private capacity. Hopefully, during the review they have the guts to draw the line: fully private roles/patronages (Invictus, Sentebale) are ok (especially because it would be unfair for example for Eugenie if she would also be required to give up her limited number of patronages) but anything that has to do with the Commonwealth or was taken over from other royals should be out of the question going forward (meaning: should be discontinued). Because that would be continuing their semi-royal role which is creating a lot of the confusion we are seeing: they still want to be royals but completely on their own terms.

I think it is just a question of time before that link is broken.

She may be hoping that at the end of the year they will retrun to the UK and does not want to pull the rug away....

I believe that at the one year review that the subject of the QCT and other appointments by QEII might be on the agenda.

I'm confused by the Queen's Commonwealth Trust, I read recently somewhere that it was actually set up Harry and Meghan themselves? Perhaps that why they are still allowed to do it?

I'm confused by the Queen's Commonwealth Trust, I read recently somewhere that it was actually set up Harry and Meghan themselves? Perhaps that why they are still allowed to do it?

I dont think that it was....

It was Harry's gift to the Queen for her 92nd birthday according to Wikipedia. So yes, it seems very much something that Harry himself created (with Meghan - but as it was a month before their wedding it was official Harry) but managed to get the queen to become its patron (sound a bit like the way my mother (as a child) managed to keep a cat by giving it as a birthday present to her grandfather who lived with them).

It was Harry's gift to the Queen for her 92nd birthday according to Wikipedia. So yes, it seems very much something that Harry himself created (with Meghan - but as it was a month before their wedding it was official Harry) but managed to get the queen to become its patron (sound a bit like the way my mother (as a child) managed to keep a cat by giving it as a birthday present to her grandfather who lived with them).

I don't think that is right. I don't know why that is on wikipedia.

He was appointed president by the Queen though. I think it was started for him to be president

Last edited:
There does seem to be some uncertainty about its set up. Interesting disclaimer on the website for it:

Disclaimer: The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust (QCT) is an independent organisation. Views expressed on the QCT website do not represent views of the Royal Family or the Royal Household. The QCT website offers a free and open forum where young people can share insights, expertise, advice and inspiration and come together to discuss issues that matter to them. The content and discussions shared by QCT are only intended to reflect the perspectives of those engaging with the platform.

Edit - its 2018 annual report starts with the following:

We launched The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust (QCT) on HM The Queen’s 92nd birthday, 21st April 2018. We wanted this Trust to be a gift to Her Majesty that recognised her lifelong belief in young people as a force for good in the world.

This belief was previously reflected in the work of The Queen’s Silver and Diamond Jubilee Trusts, where young people and their leadership in the community played a central part. The Queen’s Silver Jubilee Trust has now wound down and The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust will end its work by January 2020. We wanted to create something new, established in perpetuity, that would speak to the new generation of young leaders – a place where they could come for advice, inspiration, connections, funding and support. I

That is from Lord Geidt (HM's former Private Secretary) and chairman of the QCT.

There does seem to be some uncertainty about its set up. Interesting disclaimer on the website for it:

Disclaimer: The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust (QCT) is an independent organisation. Views expressed on the QCT website do not represent views of the Royal Family or the Royal Household. The QCT website offers a free and open forum where young people can share insights, expertise, advice and inspiration and come together to discuss issues that matter to them. The content and discussions shared by QCT are only intended to reflect the perspectives of those engaging with the platform.

Edit - its 2018 annual report starts with the following:

We launched The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust (QCT) on HM The Queen’s 92nd birthday, 21st April 2018. We wanted this Trust to be a gift to Her Majesty that recognised her lifelong belief in young people as a force for good in the world.

This belief was previously reflected in the work of The Queen’s Silver and Diamond Jubilee Trusts, where young people and their leadership in the community played a central part. The Queen’s Silver Jubilee Trust has now wound down and The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust will end its work by January 2020. We wanted to create something new, established in perpetuity, that would speak to the new generation of young leaders – a place where they could come for advice, inspiration, connections, funding and support. I

That is from Lord Geidt (HM's former Private Secretary) and chairman of the QCT.

Just a sustainable version if those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom