Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be surprised if that were to happen. Charles, as PoW, did not acquire a home in Wales till after he married Camilla, nearly 50 years after he was created PoW in 1958. Also, you hardly ever hear of William and Catherine going to Cambridge, or the Gloucester's going to Gloucestershire. Also, let us not forget, this is one of a list of titles given to each of the royal dukes.

Simply because the other royals don't do it or took a long time to do it doesn't mean it will be the same for the Sussex es. If they decide earlier on then other royals that means they clearly see a value in doing this as a way to highlight a special relationship with the region.

This is one of a list of titles given to each of the Royal dukes and if this particular duke and duchess want to make more frequent visits to the region as a way to show appreciation to the region their title is derived from I am sure that simply just makes it more special for them the couple and the people of the county.

They haven't even made their visit yet and it might take a few years for Sussex to become a standard in their schedule but if they do make it a priority to make additional visits there that's a fantastic way to create a good relationships with regions outside of London that is significant to them as members of the Royal family.

Last edited:
Anyway, their eldest son will one day bear the title of Duke of Sussex while his younger siblings will be prince/ss of Sussex, so if they feel like bonding with East and West Sussex, it would be a nice thing, especially considering how much the Prince Regent, later George IV. loved Brighton and the pavillion he build there.

Simply because the other royals don't do it or took a long time to do it doesn't mean it will be the same for the Sussex es. If they decide earlier on then other royals that means they clearly see a value in doing this as a way to highlight a special relationship with the region.

This is one of a list of titles given to each of the Royal dukes and if this particular duke and duchess want to make more frequent visits to the region as a way to show appreciation to the region their title is derived from I am sure that simply just makes it more special for them the couple and the people of the county.

Quite right, if that is what they want to do, so be it. All I said was that it seemed unlikely to me, and I would be surprised if it happened.

No doubt the residents of Sussex can look forward to the patronage of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, quite like the people of Wales enjoyed from Prince Henry of Wales for all these years, or the British fashion industry has from the Duchess of Sussex since her marriage.

Last edited:
Quite right, if that is what they want to do, so be it. All I said was that it seemed unlikely to me, and I would be surprised if it happened.

No doubt the residents of Sussex can look forward to the patronage of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, quite like the people of Wales enjoyed from Prince Henry of Wales for all these years, or the British fashion industry has from the Duchess of Sussex since her marriage.

As I stated in the post you quoted they still haven't made their first visit yet and it might take a few years to incorporate a regular visits to Sussex county.

My point was if they have already shown interest in making frequent visits it would be great for the both the couple and the county.

The difference is the Prince Henry of Wales is the title he was born with and the Duke of Sussex title is the title he was bestowed and will likely continue as his own familys legacy.

Harry visiting Wales regularly doesn't make much sense at that time but when William becomes prince of Wales I hope he also does as Charles and Camilla are doing now and does the yearly trip with Kate to Wales because it's obvious the community really appreciates the special attention from Charles and Camilla.

Here is a link of article from the lord lieutenant of West Sussex talking about what Harry and Meghan's visit and the fact that they were bestowed with the title of Duke and Duchess of Sussex mean to the people of the county.

https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/r...ussex-1-8651516/amp?__twitter_impression=true
“Their appointment has raised the profile of West Sussex and there are already signs that tourism, commerce and industry will benefit.
Just as importantly it has cheered us all up and rekindled a sense of pride in our county."

Last edited by a moderator:
Lack of Cambridge visits or lack of Wales visit in the past by Harry isn’t any indication of what will happen with Sussex. Their married life, or include engagement if you’d like, have showed us that the unexpected are rather nice surprises. I don’t think Meghan’s first project or initiative is anything anyone expected. And yet, it turned out be a major success quite quickly.

Last edited:
This thread isn’t about Charles or the Cambridges. Let’s get back to discussing current events.

Let's look at this logically. Events and appearances fall into three categories. Overseas tours, UK based events and events related to the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

For overseas tours, the couple doesn't determine where and when they will go. That is based on an invitation from the country to be visited with approval from the Foreign Office and approval by HM, the Queen.

For UK based appearances, if the couple is representing the Queen, it is something the Queen approves and determines just who would be best to send from the royal family to represent her.

For the Foundation, there would have to be an organization or project underneath the Foundation's umbrella to warrant a visit. This pertains to both local UK and global efforts.

I'm sure Harry and Meghan can and would have their input into what they would like to do and where they would like to go but in the overall picture, its not their sole decision to make. Harry and Meghan are now working for both the "Firm" and the Foundation. This determines the majority of the work that they do.

This visit to Sussex seems to be filled with events that will represent both the Firm and the Foundation. I'm looking forward to it.

Using a helicopter to get from engagement to engagement, very practical! The couple certainly have a packed schedule today, and an interesting one. They've started off in fine style and with good weather, greeting people in the crowds and interacting with them. And animals. Harry was almost nose to nose with a dog in the crowd at one point!

And a school teacher Miss Sleep, who won't let go of his hand! :lol:

I love how he was geniunely with them on getting out of double Latin. Then remembers he's an adult and needs to set a good example and says "education is important!".

In lab glasses. Is it wrong that I laughed at this? :lol:

Elliot Wagland

Verified account

@elliotwagland
Follow Follow @elliotwagland
More
Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex visit the University of Chichester Tech Park

Marathon handshake and high five with kids.

Huge crowd in Brighton.

Meghan making a small run in her high heels to the other side that didn't get much royal greeting before heading inside.

I'm very glad. It's not good when one side feels a bit neglected. Good that Meghan picked it up. So they are now at the University Tech Park. They are certainly going to some interesting sites today and good that they are getting great crowds. They are both thoroughly enjoying this day out!

Kids asking Meghan how old she is. Oh kids! :lol:

Emily Nash

Verified account

@emynash
Following Following @emynash
More
Very funny chatter from the kids as they quiz Meghan: “How old are you, Miss?” She makes them guess.. “higher, lower”.. plus a lot of excited flossing in the background!

They are headed to Survivor's Network.

A beautiful day for their visits around the county and I like that they were presented with an A-Z book for the region. ?

I hope they do make more visits to Sussex as reported or take up patronages based in Sussex. The eception for Harry and Meghan in Sussex was incredibly warm and I hope they build on and maintain this special connection.

I hope they do make more visits to Sussex as reported or take up patronages based in Sussex. The eception for Harry and Meghan in Sussex was incredibly warm and I hope they build on and maintain this special connection.

Yes I hope they continue to build stronger connections and perhaps consider Sussex their adopted home turf.

Big crowd in PeaceHaven. Some estimate put it at 1,000. Not sure if that's serious or kidding. I don't believe a walk about is scheduled here?

So remember all the rumors about the black Lab named Oz? They have a new female dog. Kinda makes me question if the reports are accurate about the name.

Meghans Mirror

@MeghansMirror
Following Following @MeghansMirror
More Meghans Mirror Retweeted Truth hurts
Meghan and Harry revealed today that they have a new female puppy at Kensington Palace! We wonder what she is called... ��Meghans Mirror added,

It's definitely not Oz, that much was revealed by Meghan's comment. I am hoping for a Christmas card with their puppers, but I almost reckon we won't be getting a public one until they also have a mini me to include.

This went so well. Those crowds were insane. I knew it would be big but I think it even surprised the town and reporters. They all kept commenting on it. Many cute moments. Well done. So ready for the tour.

The visit to Sussex was amazing. The organizations they visited seemed very vital and important. The people who showed up seemed great and many times throughout the day you could hear people saying they were Harry and Meghan were the royals that were given the Dukedom of Sussex and how proud it made the people of the county.

There was so much going on today it was hard to keep up. Most importantly the couple took everything in stride. They looked comfortable, relaxed and confident.

Most importantly they seemed to be having a great time together in Sussex.

This was a nice taste of what most days on their tour will be like. It'll be grueling and exhausting for the couple to do this for 16 days with no rest but they seem up for the challenge.

Today!

So.....in a weird coincidence....both my daughter and her boyfriend got to see Harry and Meghan today in Sussex!

The boyfriend works at the estate (not naming names) where the couple's helicopter landed and where they had lunch before heading off to Brighton. The lunch was at the estate's exclusive venue and they were seen getting out of the car and walking into the 'house'. Apparently Meghan is "tiny" and the camera "adds 10lb to her"

My daughter is at Chichester University and had her lectures today at the Bognor Regis campus where Harry and Meghan opened the new Tech block buildings. As you can imagine she and her fellow students were in the crowd and NOT in their lectures!!! She also agrees that Meghan in "tiny".

An exciting day!

Great to see Meghan and Harry in Sussex today. Harry in particular is always a blast with kids! I love how easily Meghan seems to shine with members of the public, too.

The YouTube clips of the Sussex trip are amazing. I'm glad the trip turned out well.

:previous: Oh I agree. If you haven't checked them out on YouTube you are missing a treat. Seeing them moving around and hearing them is really fun and you get to hear a lot of comments from the crowds.

Today it was all about how happy/lovely they look along with all the oows and ahs about how nice and real they are.

These sort of events suit Harry and Meghan very well. They genuinely enjoy meeting people and learning about things. How lovely for your daughter to experience this visit, Jenjoe.
I am more interested as to why there is a copy of the American Independence at Edes house. I will have to google Edes house I guess. So we too are learning things here on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom