Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, to sum up:

Harry will most likely be in the UK for 1 1/2 weeks (from Friday February 28 until Monday March 9) with activities on:
- Feb 28: Invictus Games Choir
- March 5: Endeavour Fund Awards
- March 6: Silverstone Experience
- March 7: Mountbatten Music Festival
- March 9: Commonwealth Day

Meghan will need to be in the UK for 5 days:
- March 5: Endeavour Fund Awards
- March 7: Mountbatten Music Festival
- March 8: International Women's Day
- March 9: Commonwealth Day

I wouldn't be surprised if they would leave Archie back in Canada given the above schedule; unless they extend it to include some more personal or formal visits.

Apparently, Harry will be back in the UK for the London Marathon on April 26; and both will be in the Netherlands in May for the Invictus Games (9 - 16 May).

The Lady deigns to visit for 5 whole days ? There's 'commitment' for you...

It is looking like the 5 days or so in the UK for Meghan is fairly accurate. Especially with the reports that Archie will stay in Canada.

In my view, any doubts in relation to commitment to role, crown and country got clarified on 8 Janaury. The rest is mere detail!

That said, personally, I am surprised she is coming for any engagements at all. Perhaps HM or the PoW made it very clear that this was not negotiable.

She'll probably get more done in those whole 5 days than some royals will do in years. I mean in 18 months she had 3 successful projects and 3 tours so I don't see what the problem is.

In my view, any doubts in relation to commitment to role, crown and country got clarified on 8 Janaury. The rest is mere detail!

That said, personally, I am surprised she is coming for any engagements at all. Perhaps HM or the PoW made it very clear that this was not negotiable.

I'm honestly not really sure it matters anymore what they make clear is "non-negotiable" or what they tell Harry and Meghan to do. Short of physically forcing them onto a plane they really can't make them do anything they don't want to do or don't agree to do. They make have strongly impressed the need to be present but I suspect this is much more a case of finishing out the commitments already on the books before the official cut-off date of March 31 knowing that flaking on this last round of commitments and particularly on the Commonwealth Service could cause the brand to take a huge hit in the form of very negative publicity. Some of the bad publicity can be spun and written off but publicity of the "won't show up for committments" and "unprofessional" or "unreliable" can have a catastrophic effect on a brand that is already not starting out in glowing circumstances.

I don't see what the problem is.

'The problem' is blindingly apparent to those who expected a 'long-term' [even 'Life-time'] commitment...

It'll be 'instructive' to see how the many of the Public show up to see them, on these engagements.. friends in Edinburgh tell me few did [to see Sussex last week..]

I think a case could be made that by acknowledging stories, complaining about them etc. they let the people writing them know that a) they were reading them and b) it is getting under their skin. This gives the writers the response they are looking for and gives them no reason to stop but instead to increase the stories. Meghan and Harry didn't have to read all this stuff. They could have left it to their staff to let them know of anything major. Instead it appears that they read anything and everything and let it get to them. This is why the BRF doesn't comment on stories.

Sure, cutting ribbons and unveiling plaques are a part of the job. Not a glamorous part and certainly not the most taxing part but definitely part of the job. There's so much more that happens behind the scenes, though, and this cutting ribbons and unveiling plaques really is such a small percentage of the job. And while the behind the scenes work is the part that we don't really hear about very often, it really is the most important part and pooh-poohing that hard work really isn't a good look. Harry and Meghan quite clearly enjoyed the glamorous parts...the film premiers where they could hawk her voiceover talents, the evenings of sparkly dresses, and the "behind the scenes" moments with organizations like Vogue but did they really enjoy those parts that aren't so glamorous but are necessary in order to keep the public on your side? I'd say that's certainly arguable, at best. They liked the fun parts but the parts that are the bread and butter of the RF? Maybe not so much. That doesn't, however, make the work still being done by those members of the RF who didn't run away any less worthy and important and certainly that work shouldn't be demeaned by snide comments of the The Harry and Meghan Show will revolutionize the world type.

Sure, cutting ribbons and unveiling plaques are a part of the job. Not a glamorous part and certainly not the most taxing part but definitely part of the job. There's so much more that happens behind the scenes, though, and this cutting ribbons and unveiling plaques really is such a small percentage of the job. And while the behind the scenes work is the part that we don't really hear about very often, it really is the most important part and pooh-poohing that hard work really isn't a good look. Harry and Meghan quite clearly enjoyed the glamorous parts...the film premiers where they could hawk her voiceover talents, the evenings of sparkly dresses, and the "behind the scenes" moments with organizations like Vogue but did they really enjoy those parts that aren't so glamorous but are necessary in order to keep the public on your side? I'd say that's certainly arguable, at best. They liked the fun parts but the parts that are the bread and butter of the RF? Maybe not so much. That doesn't, however, make the work still being done by those members of the RF who didn't run away any less worthy and important and certainly that work shouldn't be demeaned by snide comments of the The Harry and Meghan Show will revolutionize the world type.

I don't think it is their thing. It wasn't Di's either or Margarets or. It takes a special person. But you know I wouldn't be all that harsh on Harry. I have seen him do plenty of things that 'people' including his wife would consider bone boring.

I have seen him do plenty of things that 'people' including his wife would consider bone boring.

No doubt, but the 'enterprising' [in ANY 'field of work'] find ways to MAKE it interesting, or smile bravely and PRETEND...
No occupation is endlessly riveting or engaging, but most don't have the luxury of throwing it over, and buggering off somewhere they HOPE will be more congenial..

But this pair have, and now they have they seem to expect OTHERS to pay for their 'well being' !

l shan't miss them one IOTA come 31st March, but i'm not prepared to [willingly] my taxes to protect people l regard as 'deserters'[and neither are 90% of Brits in that poll taken this morning].

That should tell 'the powers that be' they need to tread carefully on this issue..

It's really bothersome that anyone would try and cut the BRF down to size because they don't respect their daily workload. The point isn't about ribbon cutting per se as much as it is about meeting the public, greeting their people. There needs to be a bond between the BRF, the monarchy, and the public, or else what's the point? Why do you think that the public looks to the monarchy in troublesome times? During WWII, it was important for them to see George VI and Queen Elizabeth out amongst the devastated ruins during the Blitz, particularly after BP was bombed and they saw the Royals as people who could be hurt just as they could be. I mean, why not just look to Churchill and the government if all the BRF is there for is to cut ribbons and plant trees? This is just one example...When Diana died, the public wanted to hear from the Queen. When ordinary tragedies happen, the public wants to hear from the Queen or Charles....etc.. The BRF doesn't just stand around looking pretty.

:previous: That emotional connection is one of the loveliest things about the enduring British monarchy and its so strong that even the distant American cousins feel a tug from time to time from the prior relationship. Well said.

:previous: That emotional connection is one of the loveliest things about the enduring British monarchy and its so strong that even the distant American cousins feel a tug from time to time from the prior relationship. Well said.

Thank you - and I agree; what a lovely sentiment!

It's really bothersome that anyone would try and cut the BRF down to size because they don't respect their daily workload. The point isn't about ribbon cutting per se as much as it is about meeting the public, greeting their people. There needs to be a bond between the BRF, the monarchy, and the public, or else what's the point? Why do you think that the public looks to the monarchy in troublesome times? During WWII, it was important for them to see George VI and Queen Elizabeth out amongst the devastated ruins during the Blitz, particularly after BP was bombed and they saw the Royals as people who could be hurt just as they could be. I mean, why not just look to Churchill and the government if all the BRF is there for is to cut ribbons and plant trees? This is just one example...When Diana died, the public wanted to hear from the Queen. When ordinary tragedies happen, the public wants to hear from the Queen or Charles....etc.. The BRF doesn't just stand around looking pretty.

I wasn't cutting it down I simply said ribbon cutting (which is a lot of the work) wasn't difficult and it isn't...that's reality. Most of us would be able to do it with very little training. The real credit goes to those behind the scenes doing the details of the work...not the royals (in most cases).

The royals (imo) aren't doing a very good job at the bonding with SOME parts of the public. Why is it they could lead during the things you mentioned but are slient when it comes to important topics of today like bullying, racism, access to education/jobs etc. When Diana died the the Queen had to be encouraged by others to speak up she wasn't willing to do it on her own.

Royals that truly do speak up (not just fluff) of problems people face today are often told to "know your place" which is very discouraging. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Harry & Meghan's new opportunities is because they will be able to help those in situations like this with less backlash.

Last edited:
:previous:Actually, the small talk and meet & greets that go along with the ribbon cuttings is hard work. It takes skill and practice to be good at it.

the small talk and meet & greets that go along with the ribbon cuttings is hard work. It takes skill and practice to be good at it.

lts pretty tiring, draining work at that - I remember a quote [perhaps of QEQM, to another Royal?]

" You may not remember meeting them, but they will ALWAYS remember meeting YOU"...

Therefore its crucial for them always to be engaged/personable and 'nice' [in Public], which cannot be easy..

When ordinary tragedies happen, the public wants to hear from the Queen or Charles....etc.. The BRF doesn't just stand around looking pretty.

Absolutely. When 22 people were killed in a terrorist attack here, 3 years ago, it meant so much so people that the Queen came here a few days later to visit some of the injured in hospital. She must have had to rearrange her schedule, which isn't as easy as it sounds, certainly for someone in their 90s, and her being here meant so much to people. No politician, even a popular one (I'm sure there are some popular politicians somewhere!) could have had the same effect.

William and in particular Kate have spoken out about bullying. LGBT leaders have spoken about how important it was that William spoke about how he would be absolutely fine with any of his children being gay. But the Royals cannot get involved with anything political, so there will always be certain things that they can't talk about. And the Queen is part of a whole generation who were discouraged from speaking out about their feelings - it goes back to the First World War, when so many people were bereaved that everyone had to be encouraged to keep a stiff upper lip, hide their feelings and carry on, because the country couldn't have kept going otherwise. It's their way.

Absolutely. When 22 people were killed in a terrorist attack here, 3 years ago, it meant so much so people that the Queen came here a few days later to visit some of the injured in hospital. She must have had to rearrange her schedule, which isn't as easy as it sounds, certainly for someone in their 90s, and her being here meant so much to people. No politician, even a popular one (I'm sure there are some popular politicians somewhere!) could have had the same effect.

William and in particular Kate have spoken out about bullying. LGBT leaders have spoken about how important it was that William spoke about how he would be absolutely fine with any of his children being gay. But the Royals cannot get involved with anything political, so there will always be certain things that they can't talk about. And the Queen is part of a whole generation who were discouraged from speaking out about their feelings - it goes back to the First World War, when so many people were bereaved that everyone had to be encouraged to keep a stiff upper lip, hide their feelings and carry on, because the country couldn't have kept going otherwise. It's their way.
yes there are limitations on what the RF can say in public, particularly the queen, if they veer into politics. so it is unfair to blame her or other royals for "not speaking up"... They do speak up, they do try to make a difference.. within the constraints of the job. And if Harry and Meghan are going to earn their own living, I amnt sure how much "fearless speaking up" they will be doing. Earning money, even if you are already rich is time consuming and wili impoise its own restrictions. and I think the RF and the public would prefer royals who don't make a big show of "speaking out".. In addition, Meg and Harry did have a platform, a limited one but still a platform which they could use to do good, but they didn't last very long at it.. WIll and Kate may be less active at times, quieter, and less flash but they will I hope stick the job out their whole life long..

lts pretty tiring, draining work at that - I remember a quote [perhaps of QEQM, to another Royal?]

" You may not remember meeting them, but they will ALWAYS remember meeting YOU"...

Therefore its crucial for them always to be engaged/personable and 'nice' [in Public], which cannot be easy..

I guess if you find being kind and nice to people for an hour or two hard work then so be it. I have a different view on it.

The BRF seems to talk about everything 'political' LGBTQ, Environment, mental health, except for the elephant than has been in the room for years...race. William briefly touched on it as it relates to football but also quickly said he is bored of it. For people who represent the Commonwealth which is very diverse, it doesn't seem like they understand or support what they go through. The fact that they don't even blink an eye when their own family members (Meghan and Archie) experience it, is disheartening.

yes there are limitations on what the RF can say in public, particularly the queen, if they veer into politics. so it is unfair to blame her or other royals for "not speaking up"... They do speak up, they do try to make a difference.. within the constraints of the job. And if Harry and Meghan are going to earn their own living, I amnt sure how much "fearless speaking up" they will be doing. Earning money, even if you are already rich is time consuming and wili impoise its own restrictions. and I think the RF and the public would prefer royals who don't make a big show of "speaking out".. In addition, Meg and Harry did have a platform, a limited one but still a platform which they could use to do good, but they didn't last very long at it.. WIll and Kate may be less active at times, quieter, and less flash but they will I hope stick the job out their whole life long..

While I don't think Harry and Meghan will go full-blown into politics they will do what they can to help a variety of causes and speak up when the can. Harry already spoke about the racism that Meghan has faced in the media and unconscious bias and those were as a working royal. If leaders (like future Kings/Queens) stay quiet over important topics how will things ever get better? As for less flash...the royals live in palaces, castles, drip in jewels at times...can't get any more flashy than that even if you don't speak.

Last edited:
I guess if you find being kind and nice to people for an hour or two hard work then so be it. I have a different view on it.

well yes it is. Meeting people you have never met before and will never meet again, putting on a smile, conveying warmth and friendliness, is not something that comes easily to most people. It may not be hard work in itself but its draining and for a royal ther'es no retirement age.. You go on doing it as long as you are alive and in reasonable health....

The BRF seems to talk about everything 'political' LGBTQ, Environment, mental health, except for the elephant than has been in the room for years...race. William briefly touched on it as it relates to football but also quickly said he is bored of it. For people who represent the Commonwealth which is very diverse, it doesn't seem like they understand or support what they go through. The fact that they don't even blink an eye when their own family members experience it, is disheartening.

IMO, it is disingenuous to blame Meghan's issues with the press purely on racism. There is far more to it than that, and to just name a few: issuing misleading releases suggesting she was in labour hours after the birth of Archie, authorising her friends to speak anonymously on her behalf to the US media, wearing expensive foreign designer wear on official engagements instead of supporting the British fashion industry....

Yet I have always wondered why the Duchess did not think to find advocacies and groups that offer platform for discussions on racism, false reporting, unethical practices in the media. I think she found a way to justify leaving, as someone who is all in with the RF would have never contemplated the option of leaving but working within its structure.

And I'm always convinced that the years of media abuse suffered by the women in that family by an unkind media have been conveniently forgotten.

well yes it is. Meeting people you have never met before and will never meet again, putting on a smile, conveying warmth and friendliness, is not something that comes easily to most people. It may not be hard work in itself but its draining and for a royal ther'es no retirement age.. You go on doing it as long as you are alive and in reasonable health....

I never said anything about draining, I said it wasn't hard work. Even if it is draining it still less draining than 99% of the other jobs out there. One can step back if it isn't working for them as the Sussexes have shown us, abdication as Edward has shown us and there are many royals who have regular jobs...so there are options (all of which are harder than cutting ribbons).

IMO, it is disingenuous to blame Meghan's issues with the press purely on racism. There is far more to it than that, and to just name a few: issuing misleading releases suggesting she was in labour hours after the birth of Archie, authorising her friends to speak anonymously on her behalf to the US media, wearing expensive foreign designer wear on official engagements instead of supporting the British fashion industry....

Muriel... the negative press started long before Meghan even got pregnant let alone give birth. They were trying to claim she was from the gang-filled ghetto. Her 'exotic' DNA was going to mix with pure royal blood. One station had a skit where they darkened the Meghan character's skin color to ensure she was seen black and then had the character act in a violent way towards white characters.

As for the birth of the baby, they admitted there was a mistake in the release of the information however, the focus still should be on the health of mother & baby rather than the media. Everything else that you mentioned other royals have done... other friends speak out publicly & anonymously Meghan's friends spoke to the US media because they most likely were Americans and didn't trust the British media after then seen how they treated their friend. Meghan has worn a variety of designers British and otherwise., as have other royals so why would it be a problem for her?

Last edited:
I never said anything about draining, I said it wasn't hard work. Even if it is draining it still less draining than 99% of the other jobs out there. One can step back if it isn't working for them as the Sussexes have shown us, abdication as Edward has shown us and there are many royals who have regular jobs...so there are options (all of which are harder than cutting ribbons).

yes tehre are many royals who have regular jobs but I don't know what that has to do with anything. They were always intended to be "non working" as royals.. and took ordinary jobs or went into business.
As for "stepping back" if it is not working.. I am not so sure that Edward VIII found his post abdication life all that good. I don't think he relaly regretted it as scuh, because he was obsessed iwht Wallis.. but he had nothing at all to do but an empty social life and he was certainly bored at times. I don't think that life for people who give up royal duty is necessarily all that good.

Sounds odd but I believe that Meghan and Harry are going to do the same engagements that they have been doing for the last year, exactly the same. There is only a certain amount of things you can do to draw awareness to charity work. And yes - all their good work - is going to be a rehashing of what has been done before by others, maybe not British royals, maybe not royals but possibly celebrities and other philanthropists.

The problem wasn't with the charity work and the way of doing the charity work. Yes - they seem to imply that they were been prevented from changing the world the way they wanted. So lets wait and see how they intend doing that.

platform for discussions on racism, false reporting, unethical practices in the media

All of these, are [by their nature] 'political' and 'controversial', and therefore a Minefield for members of the BRF.. [and especially risky for a 'non-native', who is unlikely to grasp the 'nuances' of the situation here]. Even her efforts with the Grenfell Women were considered such.
She is better of doing that stuff elsewhere, and beyond the purlieus of a Royal family- ANY Royal family

Sounds odd but I believe that Meghan and Harry are going to do the same engagements that they have been doing for the last year, exactly the same. There is only a certain amount of things you can do to draw awareness to charity work. And yes - all their good work - is going to be a rehashing of what has been done before by others, maybe not British royals, maybe not royals but possibly celebrities and other philanthropists.

The problem wasn't with the charity work and the way of doing the charity work. Yes - they seem to imply that they were been prevented from changing the world the way they wanted. So lets wait and see how they intend doing that.

well yes Im waiting for them to change the world... I don't believe they'll do anything special, and I think that's what bothers them. They want to be admired and clapped and noticed.. but they don't want to do the boring turning up week in week out for 40 or 50 years.

All of these, are [by their nature] 'political' and 'controversial', and therefore a Minefield for members of the BRF.. [and especially risky for a 'non-native', who is unlikely to grasp the 'nuances' of the situation here]. Even her efforts with the Grenfell Women were considered such.
She is better of doing that stuff elsewhere, and beyond the purlieus of a Royal family- ANY Royal family

Actually Meghan missed an opportunity here - she could have come out and said that despite the media and the tolling she was not going to be bullied and stood her ground. From what I thought I knew of her this is what I would have expected and advised. So I think this is what the palace advisors would have done as well - it is strong and assertive , it is not turning the cheek and not confronting the problem. Image how different the South African documentary would have been.

Actually Meghan missed an opportunity here - she could have come out and said that despite the media and the tolling she was not going to be bullied and stood her ground. From what I thought I knew of her this is what I would have expected and advised. So I think this is what the palace advisors would have done as well - it is strong and assertive , it is not turning the cheek and not confronting the problem. Image how different the South African documentary would have been.

Exactly my thoughts. Diana did much towards normalizing discussions of HIV and AIDS. The Princes also did well with mental health. Both can be political topics if you find the connection hard enough. They both inevitably fall under healthcare funding issues too.

It really is a missed opportunity for the Duchess. A lot of young, modern royals advocate for causes that strike a personal chord for them, such previously mentioned mental health, dyslexa, scoliosis...she would not have been doing anything different. Of course I dont think there was real commitment to the BRF as it the issues she encountered seem to have been the reason for her to quit and thus start earning the "professional income" she wanted.

I think palace advisors would have advised her to ignore the media, ignore the social media comments, only go to law if absolutely necessary and get on with the job. Yes the meida have not been kind to her but a lot of the nasty stuff is internet commenters saying unkind tings and its very hard to deal with those people.. They are private individuals and unless they say something illegal there is nothing much that can be done. but if she and H are going into some kind of business, they're going to get criticism too, and internet flame wars and so on. Business is often controversial and leads to unpleasantness. If they take on more "exciting" charity wrok they will get people being unkind and nasty to them, because they may not agree with their stance on issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom