Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: April-September 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Welcome to The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's
Current Events, Part Two

Commencing April 1, 2020

The previous thread can be found here.
Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
Additional Notice:

This thread is to discuss the Current Events of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

The Moderating team will not tolerate bickering, in-fighting, snarky comments directed at all and sundry, off-topic discussions, de-railing discussions, back-and-forth arguments or unnecessary debate etc. Such posts would make the thread untenable as well as making browsing the thread an unsavoury experience for the larger portion of our membership base - and will be deleted without notice.

Other members who follow the rules and contribute to a civil discussion should not have to be be penalised with the threat of a thread being closed or by having to navigate through the types of posts described above made by members unable to follow the rules nor able to respect the opinions of others.

We expect our members to act civilly, reasonably and responsibly, as well as having a focus on constructive and mature discussion and debate. Those that do not, will find themselves facing a warning and possible suspension.

This thread will NOT be host to discussion about or including the following:
  • The couple's split from the Royal Family
  • The media, journalists, journalism, paparazzi, photographer, reporters etc
  • Relationship with other members of the Royal Family
  • The Markle family
  • Unsubstantiated unsubstantiated gossip, rumour, speculation or hearsay
  • Accusations or inference of racism towards other posters or members of the media
  • Off-topic remarks
  • Aggressive tones
  • Agenda-driven posts
  • Bickering
  • Repetitive and circular discussion
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and as long as it does not break any of the TRF Rules and Guidelines and meets the above principles, it may be posted here.

Any and all issues are to be directed to the moderating team via private message.

Last edited:
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: April 2020-

I don’t quite know where this belongs:

The Duke of Sussex poses for photos during a recording of his introduction to a new animated TV Series of Thomas & Friends: The Royal Engine. It’s to make Thomas’ 75th Anniversary and the series contains cartoons of The Queen and Prince Charles.

Last edited:
Prince Harry, shared a video message with those attending the virtual OnSide Awards , praising the British youngsters for 'thriving' during coronavirus crisis.

This may have been pencilled in as a longstanding engagement. Harry is still a member of the Royal Family and as a vet himself has long been involved with veteran groups, like this Guinea Pig club as they called themselves. The men who belonged to such groups were badly burned during operations (usually RAF) in WW2 and were operated on by a fantastic pioneer of what was then known as plastic surgery. Very basic but to people with badly burned faces, a lifesaver.

Some more from the chat with the veterans. A promise to one during the war from the surgeon Sir Archibald 'New eyelids, new nose, new lips to kiss the girls.' His widow recalled his kisses on the show in conversation with Harry.

https://people.com/royals/prince-harry-appears-on-bbc-the-one-show/

I remember as a child seeing an ex pilot who was a member of the Guinea Pig club. His face was curiously pink and shiny, but goodness knows what it would have looked like before. Tons of scars and puckering, I would imagine.

Last edited:
This may have been pencilled in as a longstanding engagement. Harry is still a member of the Royal Family and as a vet himself has long been involved with veteran groups, like this Guinea Pig club as they called themselves. The men who belonged to such groups were badly burned during operations (usually RAF) in WW2 and were operated on by a fantastic pioneer of what was then known as plastic surgery. Very basic but to people with badly burned faces, a lifesaver.

Some more from the chat with the veterans. A promise to one during the war from the surgeon Sir Archibald 'New eyelids, new nose, new lips to kiss the girls.' His widow recalled his kisses on the show in conversation with Harry.

I remember as a child seeing an ex pilot that was a member of the Guinea Pig club. His face was curiously pink and shiny, but goodness knows what it would have looked like before. Tons of scars and puckering, I would imagine.

I love this. Actually what we have seen of Harry and Meghan, themselves, since the exodus to greener fields have shown us that they're *not* forgetting to be involved with things they've already committed to and so far, I've seen no evidence that they've done anything to "promote" themselves as a "brand" although I did, for a bit, get that feeling with the book by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand. Anyone can have a bad opinion day once in a while. ;)

To emphasize how traumatically and deep rooted some injuries are to veterans , once upon a time I spent time in a VFW hall (Veterans of Foreign Wars) playing pool. There was a guy there that wanted to take everyone on in a pool game for money. It seemed crass behavior to me until I got a good glimpse of the man's forearm. On it was tattooed in blue letters a serial number. He was a survivor of a concentration camp in WWII.

A lot is hitting home these days of people being made aware of what the world went through with WWI and WWII with this pandemic and how its affecting people world wide. For Harry to stay up front and personal with these efforts he's doing for various veterans, no matter what or how they've suffered, has more meaning today than ever. Most of us have felt the effects of this pandemic we're going through and its actually *nothing* in comparison to what people have suffered and gone through and survived.

Thanks Harry for the reminder!! Beautifully done!

I remember as a child seeing an ex pilot who was a member of the Guinea Pig club. His face was curiously pink and shiny, but goodness knows what it would have looked like before. Tons of scars and puckering, I would imagine.

It was informative about them. Harry didn't really say much at all. He just said to her "good for kissing." The vets themselves were interesting. He just did what the rest of the royal, family have been doing.

Lovely that Harry is still staying in touch. It seems they reached out to him and he wanted to be involved.

Harry has always been passionate about his work with veterans so I'm glad to hear that he has stayed in touch with them - I'd be very surprised if he didn't.

Harry and Meghan joined a staff meeting of the Crisis Text Line organization yesterday. This has UK and US ties. It has a partnership with Shout! which Harry and Meghan helped launch with William and Kate.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw that. An excellent organisation, and how excited were the staff to have Harry and Meghan join them!

Harry and Meghan joined a staff meeting of the Crisis Text Line organization yesterday. This has UK and US ties. It has a partnership with Shout! which Harry and Meghan helped launch with William and Kate.

Excellent news for Shout as now they've had a chance to hear from the Sussexes (Thursday) and yesterday they heard from the Cambridges. ?

This week the Duke of Sussex joined some of the incredible young volunteers from @SportattheHeart to hear about their work supporting their local communities through the #Covid19UK crisis #SportHelps

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting how they continue to do some 'royal' activities - I still have a hard time understanding what 'role' they see for themselves as it seems to be a very 'royal' one; as in, why would this organization talk to a random guy/duke if it was not for him being PRINCE Harry?

It's interesting how they continue to do some 'royal' activities - I still have a hard time understanding what 'role' they see for themselves as it seems to be a very 'royal' one; as in, why would this organization talk to a random guy/duke if it was not for him being PRINCE Harry?

Well said. I, too, have queried these "royal engagements" being undertaken by Harry from time

I think because of the recent situation they're really not able to do anything more than meeting with people via videoconference. They also expressed their desire to support their patronages and other charities, Harry chose do to it the way he's known for years. Not only that, they need some time to find their footing - it's been barely months.

So Henry visited the Roundwood Youth Centre in Brent, where SATH is based two years ago.

Harry has been a major support for them. Not sure what his status has to do with continuing that, especially when they made it clear they would. Why shouldn't he?

I agree, ACO. Since day one, the Sussexes never once said that they would abandon, forget, nullify their involvement or ignore the charities, organizations and the incentives that they were already involved with in the UK and elsewhere.

I am wont to believe that when they support their already existing commitments, they *are* doing it as TRH, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. They *are* still royal. That hasn't changed at all. They just cannot and will not use anything denoting "royal" in commercial ventures in the future. It is only in commercial business dealings that they are to eliminate all connections to being the "royals" that they still are. This nullifies any illusion that their business ventures are connected to the BRF and the monarchy.

I can understand where this can get confusing. So much is still confusing about this couple. ?

I am wont to believe that when they support their already existing commitments, they *are* doing it as TRH, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. They *are* still royal. That hasn't changed at all. They just cannot and will not use anything denoting "royal" in commercial ventures in the future. It is only in commercial business dealings that they are to eliminate all connections to being the "royals" that they still are. This nullifies any illusion that their business ventures are connected to the BRF and the monarchy.
Respectfully, I don't agree. I think BP made it pretty clear in their statement:

"As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from royal duties, including official military appointments.

They will no longer receive public funds for royal duties. With The Queen's blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.

The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family."

So yes, they are still members of the royal family - but they are not working royals, so they can't represent any organization as TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Any patronages they kept are private patronages that they can represent as Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and while doing so they can't use their HRH titles. Let's not rewrite history here when it was all explained by the BP.

Good points, Fem. That's how the Sussexes and the Queen and the royal family and we see it but that will never stop the connection people make about them being "royal" because they actually *are* still TRH, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. They just don't *use* the TRH after March 31st. They have not been stripped formally of the HRH honorific form of address.

"Although they will no longer use the "HRH" title, they will not officially be stripped of them, as Prince Harry remains a prince and is still sixth-in-line to the throne."

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/is-prince-harry-still-a-prince-change-royal-titles-explained-1369303

I think it kind of is reminiscent of all the years that Diana was referred to as "Princess Diana". Diana, herself, would correct people on this but it never really sunk in that she was never "Princess Diana".

The most important thing at all, at least to me, is that no matter what they are called, they continue to keep in contact and support commitments that they took on before exiting as senior working royals for the "Firm".

Osipi, I like you far too much to argue about this, and I honestly feel like this is a discussion for the titles thread and not here, so I don't have any further comment, we'll just have to agree to disagree :flowers:

Last edited:
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: April 2020-

An event for Meghan and Henry yesterday, they visited Homeboy Industries in LA to work alongside the cafe and bakery teams For #feedhope;

Some background;

“The org is run by @FrGregBoyle, who the Sussexes have been speaking with about the racial justice movement.
Meghan first met Father Boyle 20 years ago at a @HomeboyInd cooking workshop (they made tamales!) alongside mom Doria after he worked closely with the @IHPandas School.”

Last edited:
That's a wonderful cause and I'm so glad that Harry and Meghan have been there to support it. Interesting that Meghan (and Doria) met Father Boyle two decades ago now.

I am hoping after the Covid situation changes we will see more and more of these types of events.

LaRae

Wonderful visit, and great initiative to see them both involved with.

The organization's website.

https://homeboyindustries.org/

I love that Meghan has reconnected with a charity she was involved with when she was younger. We have heard her speak of volunteering with soup kitchens and such when she was a teen.

Charity work started early, decades before she married Harry.

Reading the website this group has a lot of great initiatives and could use all the good pr this visit will bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom