Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you ladies for all your answers to my question.....still it is up in the air till the word comes down from the Firm....:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Many royals 'receive' someone who is connected to a charity/organisation. Sometimes they are to do with their own charities or organisations and sometimes not - it may be an area of interest but not directly connected to that royal. Sometimes a royal will also receive someone connected to another royals charity or organisations - especially when the charity or organisation has the Queen as patron as she does very few engagements to do with any of her patronages but sometimes another royal will step in for her (and now also for Philip).

Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see whether something connected with the National Thestre or with a theatrical background is on the list of Meghan's patronages. I'm sure it will be released in the New Year, so not so long to wait!

It is a possibility that the Queen may hand down the patronage of the Royal National Theater to Meghan. We saw this happen recently with Evelina London Children's Hospital which was under the Queen's patronage until this week when it was announced that Kate was named a patron.

Its a time when the Queen can and does slow down and start passing on patronages to the younger royals. So, with this in mind, its plausible to think that this may happen. It hasn't become official yet but does seem like a very good possibility. Receiving the Artistic Director, the National Theatre is a good clue. The man wouldn't have just stopped by for a cup of tea. There was a purpose for the visit.

I always thought that an area that Meghan would mesh well with is the arts. Her father-in-law has quite a few patronages in the arts and out of the "fab four", Meghan is the one with the most experience in that area.

Last edited:
There are also so many local or community theaters or groups Meghan could support. I would be pleased with that more grassroots approach too.

Edward has a number of patronages in the arts and theatre e.g. the National Youth Theatre is one of his patronages. I think a lot of people forget his interest in this area.

That's what I envisioned for Meghan too. The grassroots of the arts. I can definitely see that happening too. Each royal in the Royal Foundation has their own primary specific area of interest. Harry is the armed forces, William's is conservation and Kate's is children. They also work together on Heads Together and several other incentives such as bullying. Meghan could have quite a few of hers centered around the performing arts and still have other areas that she patronizes.

Somehow, everything they do though affects other areas that they all work on. Its amazing really. I love how the Royal Foundation is a great big umbrella. But that is just their own personal interests. Each of these four royals will be taking on more and more of official "Firm" patronages as time passes too. We've seen today that Charles and Harry participated in a forum about youth violence with the Prince's Trust. There may be something coming out of that area too where Harry will be taking on a project with that.

Its a period of transition we're seeing, I believe. Winding down the present reign's list of involvement for the next reign to cover and continue to move on smoothly. I kind of expected this to happen as the "fab four" as we like to call them step up more and more into being full time working members of the "Firm". It'll all happen again too once William and Harry's children actively step into the roles they perhaps will have for the "Firm".

Its really interesting to watch for me. ?

Edward has a number of patronages in the arts and theatre e.g. the National Youth Theatre is one of his patronages. I think a lot of people forget his interest in this area.

Edward also has experience in the performing arts area. OK, so the program "Its A Royal Knockout" has been knocked around a bit but I found it highly amusing. It was also for charity. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see things happen that will be a joint venture between Edward and Meghan. Anything is possible. As the Queen stated, its "Team Windsor" at work. :D

Last edited:
It is a possibility that the Queen may hand down the patronage of the Royal National Theater to Meghan. We saw this happen recently with Evelina London Children's Hospital which was under the Queen's patronage until this week when it was announced that Meghan was named a patron.

Its a time when the Queen can and does slow down and start passing on patronages to the younger royals. So, with this in mind, its plausible to think that this may happen. It hasn't become official yet but does seem like a very good possibility. Receiving the Artistic Director, the National Theatre is a good clue. The man wouldn't have just stopped by for a cup of tea. There was a purpose for the visit.

I always thought that an area that Meghan would mesh well with is the arts. Her father-in-law has quite a few patronages in the arts and out of the "fab four", Meghan is the one with the most experience in that area.

You mean Catherine not Meghan.

Oh sheesh. Thanks for catching that. It *was* Kate at Evelina London and not Meghan. It does point to the Queen doing more and more handing down of her patronages to the younger royals. I've corrected my post.

I need more coffee. :lol:

Last edited:
There are also so many local or community theaters or groups Meghan could support. I would be pleased with that more grassroots approach too.

I suspect this will be the way she starts off. Not to say in a few years she won't be connected to a major theater but not initially, IMO. Meghan meeting with head of a organization is a great way to get information and maybe talk of a future collaboration.

I have no idea if Meghan will end up as patron of the Royal National Theatre, but if the Queen is beginning to divest herself of some of her patronages, either Meghan or Edward would seem to be the logical choices to take over this one.

On the other hand, I am also hoping that Meghan doesn't become the default choice for representing the royal family in everything to do with the arts. I'd hate to see her boxed into that narrow a focus when she has such varied interests, and it also feeds into the narrative that she's an actress first and a working royal second. I doubt that would happen, but it's worth thinking about.

On the other hand, I am also hoping that Meghan doesn't become the default choice for representing the royal family in everything to do with the arts. I'd hate to see her boxed into that narrow a focus when she has such varied interests, and it also feeds into the narrative that she's an actress first and a working royal second. I doubt that would happen, but it's worth thinking about.

I think that focusing on the performing arts solely can and would be a huge mistake and I would imagine the "Firm" realizes this. I'd really like to see her patronizing organizations where her training could be of great value but also there is so much more about Meghan that should be put to use also.

I'm really looking forward to the announcement of Meghan's patronages. Hopefully there's a lot of diversity among them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea if Meghan will end up as patron of the Royal National Theatre, but if the Queen is beginning to divest herself of some of her patronages, either Meghan or Edward would seem to be the logical choices to take over this one.

Let’s step back for a second and hold on. :lol: I highly doubt she’ll be the only one as there are others in the family that already have patronage’s related to arts. I think sometimes people are too quickly jumping into conclusions when it comes to these things. I still remember some remarks l (in general, not you specifically) when the Sussexes went to Brixton. Reality is, that was an engagement they wanted to do, but there isn’t anything preventing other members of the family to go there. Like the Wessexes went there with the Dutch King and Queen later in the year.

Let’s step back for a second and hold on. :lol: I highly doubt she’ll be the only one as there are others in the family that already have patronage’s related to arts. I think sometimes people are too quickly jumping into conclusions when it comes to these things. I still remember some remarks l (in general, not you specifically) when the Sussexes went to Brixton. Reality is, that was an engagement they wanted to do, but there isn’t anything preventing other members of the family to go there. Like the Wessexes went there with the Dutch King and Queen later in the year.

I don't think I said anything that would imply I am jumping to conclusions.

Right now, Meghan's patronages are at a stage where we play with the Magic 8 Ball and come up with answers like "It is in the cards" or "Maybe" or any of the other generic answers that can fit most any question. It is plausible that Meghan may become the patron of the Royal National Theater and then again, she may not.

Charles himself is patron of over 70 arts organizations. :D

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/interests

Right now, Meghan's patronages are at a stage where we play with the Magic 8 Ball and come up with answers like "It is in the cards" or "Maybe" or any of the other generic answers that can fit most any question. It is plausible that Meghan may become the patron of the Royal National Theater and then again, she may not.

Charles himself is patron of over 70 arts organizations. :D

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/interests

That's a good analogy. It's going to be very interesting to see what the initial list of patronages looks like, and how that shapes up over the years as she adds to those.

And yes, Charles has a broad range of interests, doesn't he? His interest in the arts goes back a long way, to his own amateur drama days and beyond! It's one of the things I really enjoy about him.

It is a possibility that the Queen may hand down the patronage of the Royal National Theater to Meghan. We saw this happen recently with Evelina London Children's Hospital which was under the Queen's patronage until this week when it was announced that Kate was named a patron.

The Queen did NOT pass on her patronage to Catherine. The Queen was never a patron of Evelina London Children's Hospital. The Queen was and still is a patron of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust. The Evelina is part of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust.

I’m pretty sure the only person to become the next patron of the National Theatre is Prince/King Charles. I don’t thing anything less than the monarch or consort will be considered for such a prominent institution.
I imagine Meghan and other royals will be involved with specific projects, but not become official patrons.

Last edited:
Thanks much for the correction and the facts on things, Princess Larisa. I really got the wrong impression on that one didn't I? :D

It makes sense that there are some organizations that are solely the monarch's patronage. Now I can check off my "learn something new today" box!

Thanks much for the correction and the facts on things, Princess Larisa. I really got the wrong impression on that one didn't I? :D

No biggie, I thing the reports were a bit confusing.

It makes sense that there are some organizations that are solely the monarch's patronage. Now I can check off my "learn something new today" box!

This is just my guess. I might be wrong, weirder things have happened:future: ?

I’m pretty sure the only person to become the next patron of the National Theatre is Prince/King Charles. I don’t thing anything less than the monarch or consort will be considered for such a prominent institution.
I imagine Meghan and other royals will be involved with specific project, but not become official patrons.

You may be right, it certainly is a very high profile patronage.

Many royals 'receive' someone who is connected to a charity/organisation. Sometimes they are to do with their own charities or organisations and sometimes not - it may be an area of interest but not directly connected to that royal. Sometimes a royal will also receive someone connected to another royals charity or organisations - especially when the charity or organisation has the Queen as patron as she does very few engagements to do with any of her patronages but sometimes another royal will step in for her (and now also for Philip).

Meghan also met lots of other people in the past year that didn't show up in the CC (and you will certainly know more about tgst than anyone else on TRF, so please correct me if I'm wrong), so to me the fact that this one was mentioned seems meaningful and I wouldn't be surprised to see it included in her list of patronages (but something else could also be in the works).

Last edited:
One thing I do know of is that anything that appears in the CC is there because it was approved by the Queen, herself. This meeting was The Duchess of Sussex representing the Queen and the "Firm" most likely (but not necessarily so) at the behest of the Queen herself.

We aren't told why they met or what they talked about only that it was a working visit between the two of them in relation to HM, The Queen.

If I'm wrong on this, please correct me? :D

There are some patronages that are the preserve of the monarch regardless of their own personal interests. Without going too far from Meghan I will give an example from an area of my own interest: The MCC or Marylebone Cricket Club and Middlesex Cricket Club (both based at Lords Cricket Ground) have had the monarch as their patron through multiple reigns. Philip is the cricket fan amongst the Queen's family - even reportedly watching the cricket while at Ascot in the Royal Box but still the Queen is the Patron. Charles is patron of Surrey Cricket Club as it is based at The Oval Cricket Ground which is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall - Surrey's badge is the Prince of Wales feathers as well. However the instant the Queen dies Charles will become Patron of the MCC and have to move his loyalty across London from The Oval and Surrey to Lords and Middlesex while William will take on the Surrey patronage.

The National Theatre may be a good choice for Meghan but it would also suit Edward and Charles. Charles is already patron of the Royal Shakespeare Company so he also has an interest in the theatre.

One thing I do know of is that anything that appears in the CC is there because it was approved by the Queen, herself. This meeting was The Duchess of Sussex representing the Queen and the "Firm" most likely (but not necessarily so) at the behest of the Queen herself.

We aren't told why they met or what they talked about only that it was a working visit between the two of them in relation to HM, The Queen.

If I'm wrong on this, please correct me? :D

Exactly.

When we think back to Kate and her choices of patronages I don't remember her receiving, officially, anyone to do with her choices prior to their announcement but she would certainly have done so. They don't just pick a charity and say 'I will be the patron of that charity/organisation'. They do a lot of research and also find out if the charity/organisation wants a royal patron.

Many organisations send invitations to the BRF for a patron and these are considered and, if possible, and there is an available royal to take it on they will do so but if none is interested they will decline, with regret. When a royal, with many patronages passes away or decides to cut down, the rest of the family pick up those patronages before taking on new ones.

With this practice in place there will be around 1000 charities or organistions that will need new patrons within the next decade or so (The Queen, Philip, The Duke of Kent, The Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra's). Some will be passed on before then and others will stop having a royal patron when the time comes but now would be a good time for Meghan and Kate to be looking at those charities as well as new ones to see which ones they may be interested in taking on. Harry is the other one who needs to be looking into these areas as well. Harry has already taken over the ANZAC commitment from the Duke of Kent with no formal announcement and I can see him eventually taking over the Commonwealth War Graves.

Meghan could easily be looking at some of the Queen's charities to take them on now but she should also be looking at those of Alexandra and the Duchess of Kent and maybe getting interested there.

I do hope one of the younger royals will pick up things like the Royal Academy of Music and other musical charities and organisations from the older generation of royals but as none of them seem that interested I do wonder how many of those organisations will lose their royal patron.

Personal interest is a good place to start but spreading into other areas is also a good way to grow and learn about other ways of doing things.

Last edited:
Nice. The young royals will be very busy in January according to Omid Scobie and Emily Nash. I expect that Meghan will be handed down some patronage’s from The Queen and probably even Prince Philip.

Last edited:
Hmm. I'll believe it when I see it but we shall see. I am going to guess that Meghan will announce her patronages in January. Seems she ramping up final visits.

Last edited:
Nice to read this bit of news about Meghan's future pateonages and I am intrigued about the possible one from the queen.

Nice to read this bit of news about Meghan's future pateonages and I am intrigued about the possible one from the queen.

Given the press her children and husband got over the years, I doubt the Queen is worried over-much about Meghan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom