Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's indeed up to them and I assume they will consult with the family if that time comes but I see little reason why Meghan would not take on patronages etc because she might get pregnant at some point and in that case might want to slow down a little. Her attitude so far suggests the opposite.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Meghan’s would want to get certain things started knowing she might need some time at home once they do have children? Her desire to make better changes in the world didn’t sound like something she’d like to get started years down the line. From what Bryony Gordon has said, she’s already been working on something before they even married.

Let's move on from the pregnancy speculation.

Meghan has said and shown that she plans to "hit the ground running" so many times I can hear it in my sleep. I choose to believe her. She knew she was 36 when she made the statement so I'll leave the family planning to her and Harry.

On consideration, hasn't she been doing just that? Hitting the ground running? Or is doing solo gigs the needed evidence that such is occurring? :flowers: I think she already is in full swing, beginning with Christmas with the BRF at Sandringham, it's been a pretty impressive string of public events.

As for 'solo gigs' Meghan may actually do them in a different way than others, mainly because she is foreign. I don't see her meeting crowds, quite frankly. That's okay for Harry and Meghan as a couple, and for Harry when attending an event alone, but I think a couple of years need to pass before Meghan does that kind of thing. She may not even want to do those kind of 'crowd pleasers'. JMO.

If she isn't going to 'meet people' then she should say so and retire from public life.

'Meeting people' is the essence of official royal duties for the most part and been at the focus of the vast majority of royal engagements since the walkabout was created.

If she isn't going to 'meet people' then she should say so and retire from public life.

OTT response. :huh: I didn't suggest she wouldn't be 'meeting people'.

'Meeting people' is the essence of official royal duties for the most part and been at the focus of the vast majority of royal engagements since the walkabout was created.

Yes, and she has been doing so as a couple with Harry, and successfully by all, accounts. :flowers: Within such events she even wanders afield to meet people without Harry by her side.

I am suggesting that Meghan may not be doing the same kind of public events solo that Harry or William do. In fact, I may be mistaken (and please correct me if I am) but I think when Kate does a solo engagement she actually maintains a very discreet in/out mode from a venue. I don't think she 'meets the people' either. I think Meghan will follow the same 'protocol' (if such is occurring).

On consideration, hasn't she been doing just that? Hitting the ground running? Or is doing solo gigs the needed evidence that such is occurring? :flowers: I think she already is in full swing, beginning with Christmas with the BRF at Sandringham, it's been a pretty impressive string of public events.

As for 'solo gigs' Meghan may actually do them in a different way than others, mainly because she is foreign. I don't see her meeting crowds, quite frankly. That's okay for Harry and Meghan as a couple, and for Harry when attending an event alone, but I think a couple of years need to pass before Meghan does that kind of thing. She may not even want to do those kind of 'crowd pleasers'. JMO.

Yes I agree she's already hitting the ground running. That's what I meant by said and shown. She's working in stages from touring the U.K. with Harry to representing HMQ at Commonwealth/CHOGM events and now foreign tours. Taking on her own patronages is just the next stage. I think continuing to meet the public is actually very important for Meghan. First she's great at it since it's closest to what she did in her pre-royal life. Second, the British public still need to get to know her so she feels like THEIR duchess. If solo walkabouts are not the best vehicle for a royal spouse to do that, they can figure out something else.

Last edited:
OTT response. :huh: I didn't suggest she wouldn't be 'meeting people'.

Your words 'I don't see her meeting crowds'.

How is that not suggesting she wouldn't be 'meeting people'?

She has hit the 'ground running' if 13 engagements on 6 days in over 2 months is 'hitting the ground running'.

Personally I would expect her, and Harry, to have done a lot more but she has married Harry who doesn't do very much himself anyway so I am not expecting much from her either - maybe around 100 a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure why this is an issue. Meghan has not shown any indication of having trouble when meeting people or not wanting to. In fact, she has done exceptionally well on walkabouts as well as meeting people at events from all the accounts we’ve had. I don’t see it as a potential issue going forward.

She has hit the 'ground running' if 13 engagements on 6 days in over 2 months is 'hitting the ground running'.

Personally I would expect her, and Harry, to have done a lot more but she has married Harry who doesn't do very much himself anyway so I am not expecting much from her either - maybe around 100 a year.

Given that she will only have 6 months of post-wedding time this year, if she hits 100 that pretty darn good for six months on the job as a first year.

Meghan has been extremely busy behind the scenes so I expect a busy fall for the both of them in the UK and abroad.

They were married May 19th. It's not yet July 19th and I hope you're not going to begrudge them the approx. 10 days they took for a honeymoon. No one in the royal family is putting in a 40 hr work wk, but Meghan has shown a clear willingness to do the work.

Personally I would expect her, and Harry, to have done a lot more but she has married Harry who doesn't do very much himself anyway so I am not expecting much from her either - maybe around 100 a year - much the same as Harry actually.

I fear that you may be correct. Seems to me KP have oversold this "hitting the ground running" thing massively based on what we've seen so far.

"Around a hundred", for those latching on to that number, can be somewhat more than 100 or less than 100 in the English that I've been taught at least. Iluvbertie didn't say fewer than 100.

William and Kate's approach just after they married was, IMO, a mistake which Harry and Meghan I feel may replicate. Assuming that the goodwill generated by their wedding will allow them to spend less time in the public eye for the foreseeable. This is a dangerous assumption considering that, if the press don't actually see the royals out and about on official occasions, they decide that they're a work-shy waste of public money. That opinion is very difficult to shift.

Your words 'I don't see her meeting crowds'.

How is that not suggesting she wouldn't be 'meeting people'?
Lady Nimue explained what she actually meant and in the context of the entire post her explanation makes sense.

Considering she is newly married, that's about what one would expect. They have been on honeymoon, she is getting used to the UK and to Royal life.. its unlikely that she would do more. However it may well be that Meghan is expected to get into royal work a bit quicker, because the queen is getting on, and may want to have her on board as a full time worker, as soon as possible.. esp since Philip has retired... Buut I still would not expect her to be doing 50 engagemetns in the first couple of months of her royal life...

Over 2 months? She has not been a royal for over two months. She has been a royal for 51 days exact. And I'm hoping she would be allowed a 10-14 day honeymoon? Barely a month in the royal work, and there's already the 'she should've done more' comments?! Before she even announces her patronages, or organizations she plans to work with?

That's quite premature and unfair judgment. Can she be a year in the royal role to see what she'll actually achieve?

just how much more is she suppose to have done in the short amount of time that she has been married? I mean there is something that anybody going into a new job regardless of what type of job that has a time period called a *learning curve*? Does very body forget that Meghan is new to this lifestyle, this new country, these new traditions, this new family she married into, a new home, in fact *NEW* everything, she was not born royal and has to learn and grow with this new job, just as any of us here would do the same. The main point I would think is that any royal is doing something for the people, the country whether it be wearing the clothing made in that country to support the country or going to cut a ribbon and show support for an event that brings in money to support said event......that is what is important here.

She said she was going to 'hit the ground running' and she has done 13 engagements since she was married.

Had she said nothing or even said what you said 'she intends to take a bit of time to learn about her new country before really getting into royal duties' 13 engagements would be fine but not when she said that she was going to 'hit the ground running'.

She has worked on 6 days since she married - 6 days in 7 weeks - not even working one day a week since her marriage - hardly 'hitting the ground running'.

She made the statement and hasn't backed it up - that is all.

She said she was going to 'hit the ground running' and she has done 13 engagements since she was married.

Had she said nothing or even said what you said 'she intends to take a bit of time to learn about her new country before really getting into royal duties' 13 engagements would be fine but not when she said that she was going to 'hit the ground running'.

She has worked on 6 days since she married - 6 days in 7 weeks - not even working one day a week since her marriage - hardly 'hitting the ground running'.

And I say you're premature with your calling her out. Based on multiple reports she has been very busy behind the scenes with private meetings, do these meetings count at all?

How do you know what she is doing each day? Goodness there is so many things to be done in her new life now, does anyone think she is sitting at home eating bonbons all day long? I would guess that there is so much info to be learned about everything, new charities, new clothes fittings, new meetings with people that she might become their chair person in the future, meetings about learning to become a British subject, talking to many different depts to learn how the Firm works, it take time and I am sure even Meghan has underestimated just how much time it is going to take to learn all this....she is not super woman even with saying she was hitting the ground running, even I know that there is more then wearing the right clothes to these events that work has to be done before hand. I bet my last taco that she is even a bit flabbergasted at all that she has to learn and do.

Meghan has Ireland, the IG, the tour of Australasia and the Pacific and several more engagements to come as well this year.

She has “hit the ground running.” She’s doing some official engagements with Harry, The Queen and the rest of the family. The couple are about to embark on a tour this fall. It’s going to be even better once she’s able to launch herself on the royal stage with some solo engagements and with some of her own patronage’s. She’s not entirely running the show though. It’s Palace officials that’s running this and they’re are the ones that’s timing everything out. This is why I came up with the question of when the solo engagements will happen and when her first patronage’s will be announced? The late summer or early fall?

She said she was going to 'hit the ground running' and she has done 13 engagements since she was married. [...] She has worked on 6 days since she married - 6 days in 7 weeks - not even working one day a week since her marriage - hardly 'hitting the ground running'.

Married 7 weeks, and we can lop off 2 weeks for the honeymoon. :flowers: So in 5 weeks she has done an average of just over one day of public work a week (about 2.5 events a week). We can assume she is doing other things, like studying up on various charities (maybe privately visiting them), as well as working on her fashion wardrobe for the upcoming tours, stuff like that. Is that enough?

I'd say she has backed it up. :flowers: There has been virtually no learning curve when it comes to interacting with the public. She's 'hit the ground running', demonstrating professionalism at every public event she has attended.

I think you are equating 'hit the ground running' with number of events. Am I correct? 'Hit the ground running' I always thought meant her learning curve dealing with the public, which for her, given her background, has been virtually nil.

I don't think anyone's intention was that Meghan would suddenly be attending the number of engagements that Princess Anne does. In fact, I would venture to guess that you are one of the few people to even want to interpret it that way.

That idea doesn't even make sense to me. I think your dislike of the Wales boys colors your perceptions. It seems to me neither they nor their wives can ever do anything to suit you.

I think Meghan is coming along nicely. She's looked lovely at all the engagements and seems to enjoy chatting with people.

And comparisons with others is stupid, circumstances are never the same and decisions are somewhat made based on circumstances. W&K lived in Wales after their marriage, where William was full-time military.

Last edited:
One factor too I think we need to keep in mind is that its not solely up to Harry and Meghan to plan their event books and then go out and do. If its an official engagement representing the Queen, the Queen needs to approve it. If its for a charity organization, that's not scheduled overnight. These engagements are planned well in advance along with the attendees and then the behind the scenes work starts with the homework finding out the details of where they're going, who they're going to meet and figure out the appropriate wardrobe for it. Even the official "down under" tour that was added may have already been in the works for a while for Harry as IG was a given he'd be there. They just had to *insert* Meghan accompanying him.

Some of the events that Meghan has attended worked because she was *inserted* into the plans and appeared with Harry or the Queen or the founders of the Royal Foundation. I would imagine that the Duchess' plan book is starting to fill up quite quickly and events and appearances for fall are being drafted and planned to be executed. When engagements that the royals do being planned six months to a year ahead of time, perhaps "hitting the ground running" pertains to having a big portfolio with a calendar that is being filled as we speak and probably includes the patronages and charities that Meghan is going to focus on. They just haven't been released to the public as of yet.

You have to plant the garden, tend it and water it and weed it for a while before the fruits of that labor is seen. :D

At least that's how I see it.

13 PUBLIC engagements in 2 months (less if you at least allow them a few days for a honeymoon)...plus what we don't see! I hope none of you complaining about this are put under these types of demands for more at your job.

LaRae

I don't think anyone's intention was that Meghan would suddenly be attending the number of engagements that Princess Anne does. In fact, I would venture to guess that you are one of the few people to even want to interpret it that way.

That idea doesn't even make sense to me. I think your dislike of the Wales boys colors your perceptions. It seems to me neither they nor their wives can ever do anything to suit you.

I think Meghan is coming along nicely. She's looked lovely at all the engagements and seems to enjoy chatting with people.

And comparisons with others is stupid, circumstances are never the same and decisions are somewhat made based on circumstances. W&K lived in Wales after their marriage, where William was full-time military.

:previous: Good points O-H Anglophile. IMO Meghan has been very active as a fiancee and now a new member of the Windsor family ?. I'm pleased to see that she's been provided with seasoned veterans to help her transition to her new life in the UK and as a representative of the BRF.

When Meghan makes her final selection for her first patronages/charities the information will be announced and then we'll likely see her first solo engagements. I do expect that this news will be released in 2018 but I'm not concerned about when it will be shared. IMO Meghan should be given the space and time required to help her with this transition. ?

it seems to me that less than 2 months in, people are expecting Meghan's PUBLIC engagements as to whether or not she's hitting the ground running. When in reality she has only attended BRF functions and will need time to decide which charities and organizations to take on as patron. We don't always hear about things until a later stage. Or even officially at all from the Palace, like her private visits to Nottingham Academy or the Grenfell victims. But they are part of hitting the ground running.

I remember a statement that was made by Cepe quite a while back ago that really demonstrates how a working royal is perceived. She stated (and I'm paraphrasing) that what the public sees a working royal do is only the tip of the iceberg. The rest of that iceberg is hidden from view and contains all the work that goes into planning these engagements, the rece (reconnaisance ahead of time) of the venue, the dossier for the royal of where they're going and who they're going to meet, the planning of the wardrobe, the itinerary of arrival, time alloted for various events such as meet and greet, lunches, speeches and departures, modes of transportation and the security clearance of guests to be on hand (and those are just the ones I can think of right now).

None of these things can be haphazardly thrown together for next week. The BRF just doesn't do things by half measures.

I've removed several comments regarding Harry's engagement count numbers and Kate vs Meghan.

Let's cool it with the Kate and Meghan comparisons. These two women have different roles/duties and the circumstances they married into are different. Trying to compare how they have handled and navigated their roles and debating about which one is doing a better job, is not only unfair to both of them, but it's pointless for the reasons I listed. It also does nothing but disrupt the threads.

If you want to discuss Harry's engagement count (or continue to discuss Meghan's count), please take it to the BRF Engagements thread.

Further off-topic posts will be deleted. Now let's get back to discussing Meghan's future duties and roles.

I remember a statement that was made by Cepe quite a while back ago that really demonstrates how a working royal is perceived. She stated (and I'm paraphrasing) that what the public sees a working royal do is only the tip of the iceberg. The rest of that iceberg is hidden from view and contains all the work that goes into planning these engagements, the rece (reconnaisance ahead of time) of the venue, the dossier for the royal of where they're going and who they're going to meet, the planning of the wardrobe, the itinerary of arrival, time alloted for various events such as meet and greet, lunches, speeches and departures, modes of transportation and the security clearance of guests to be on hand (and those are just the ones I can think of right now).

None of these things can be haphazardly thrown together for next week. The BRF just doesn't do things by half measures.
:previous:Thanks for bringing this point up Osipi. Even now KP is likely working on details for Australia as the Sussexes head to Ireland tomorrow. Even Louis' christening had to be scheduled around three royal calendars (CH/ Cambridge and Sussex) so it could be penciled in before the little prince outgrew the christening robe! It is amazing to me that many members of the public believe the opposite regarding the scheduling of engagements. Consider too that other royal discussion sites insist that engagements are created days in advance to "boost" numbers. With rare exceptions that are typically linked to national tragedies ie: Terror attacks, natural disasters, royal calendars around the globe are well booked far in advance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom