Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Well, I for one think the Cambridges and Harry does a great job with everything that defines their public, or ''folksy roles'' (if we can call it that).
They are incredibly good at walkabouts (so is Charles, while Camilla is a bit more shy), and their waving is more than good enough for me. And if there's one person Meghan should learn to wave from, then it's the Queen's late 1960 to about 2013 waving. - Don't get me wrong, HM is still good at it, but she does it to a lesser extent these days (she is 92).

And then to the Queen Mother: If there is one woman Meghan should not take lessons from, then it's her.
QEQM's public, or ''folksy role'' was very old-fashioned and outdated for today's world, included her very feminine way of waving, and her way to look down on people who were underneath her (which is not that strange, because she was born in 1900).
And then to her walkabouts: Well, she was pretty good at it, although she didn't do many, and if we compare them to the Queen's walkabouts from 1970 to 2012, then they couldn't even be described as proper walkabouts.

So, Meghan should just be herself, and learn from Harry and the Cambridges, then she will be fine. - And I think she learned a lot on Wednesday too, when she was out and about with HM.

Last edited:
:previous: Well, I for one think the Cambridges and Harry does a great job with everything that defines their public, or ''folksy roles'' (if we can call it that).
They are incredibly good at walkabouts (so is Charles, while Camilla is a bit more shy), and their waving is more than good enough for me. And if there's one person Meghan should learn to wave from, then it's the Queen's late 1960 to about 2013 waving. - Don't get me wrong, HM is still good at it, but she does it to a lesser extent these days (she is 92).

And then to the Queen Mother: If there is one woman Meghan should not take lessons from, then it's her.
QEQM's public, or ''folksy role'' was very old-fashioned and outdated for today's world, included her very feminine way of waving, and her way to look down on people who were underneath her (which is not that strange, because she was born in 1900).
And then to her walkabouts: Well, she was pretty good at it, although she didn't do many, and if we compare them to the Queen's walkabouts from 1970 to 2012, then they couldn't even be described as proper walkabouts.

So, Meghan should just be herself, and learn from Harry and the Cambridges, then she will be fine. - And I think she learned a lot on Wednesday too, when she was out and about with HM.

I too noticed that The Queen don’t wave like she used to as well.

Oh, I certainly don’t think Meghan should copy The Queen Mother 1940’s-1970’s royal waving. It was elegant, but it just wouldn’t work today.

I’m just saying that I hope she wave with more confidence as The Queen Mother or even The Queen did. The Cambridge’s and even Prince Harry don’t wave with much confidence. It’s almost like they’re embarrassed by the crowds. They could learn waving from Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.

I know all of this is new to Meghan, but I just hope her royal waving is seen as a sign of appreciation and welcoming to those who’ve waited in long lines to see her.

I too noticed that The Queen don’t wave like she used to as well.

I think her hand starts to ache quicker now -the Queen is already 92, body becomes less and less fit with a passing of time.

I can’t wait to see what official roles and what charities Meghan will take on. I know everyone is waiting to hear her first major speech and see her solo official engagements. So much to look forward to.

After a few engagements with the Queen, I'm so looking forward to Harry and Meghan on their own engagements. All these official engagements are so nerve wracking. I prefer the less structured events pre-engagement.

Last edited by a moderator:
After a few engagements with the Queen, I'm so looking forward to Harry and Meghan on their own engagements. All these official engagements are so nerve wracking. I prefer the less structured events pre-engagement.

well she's been vyer lucky getting to do engagments with the Queen. I don't see what is nerve racking about it.. its how royal life is done...

well she's been vyer lucky getting to do engagments with the Queen. I don't see what is nerve racking about it.. its how royal life is done...

Press coverage has been nerve wracking. It will be nice to see her natural demeanor again in engagements instead of trying hard not to put a foot out of place. Learning is great for those more formal engagements but as we see her demeanor with the Queen will not be the same as an engagement on the beach that is more relaxed.

Meghan is getting out there and taking on her royal role with relish and, to me, without reservations or hesitations. These things are just the things that the public sees. The Queen obviously enjoys her company and Meghan has been accepted wholly and completely by her new family and Harry.

Harry couldn't have chosen better.

Meghan is getting out there and taking on her royal role with relish and, to me, without reservations or hesitations. These things are just the things that the public sees. The Queen obviously enjoys her company and Meghan has been accepted wholly and completely by her new family and Harry, well Harry simply adores her.

Harry couldn't have chosen better.

Meghan has done an impeccable job and should continue to grow and make her own mark.

I've deleted several off-topic comments and posts. This thread is not about protocol, nor is it about how the media treats various royals or Harry and Meghan's relationship. It's for discussing Meghan's future duties and roles. Also, let's please cool it with the back and forth in-fighting and the personal swipes at one another.

I wonder when Meghan will launch herself on royal stage with her list of charities, late summer or early fall? I know she can’t wait to get to work.

Summer time is pretty quiet for royals. I suspect we may start hearing some patronages, and see some solo events, in early fall.

My guess would be early fall. They'll release a short list of patronages that Meghan will be taking on and state that things are in the works but I don't expect a slew of solo engagements to start until after their down under trip and the Invictus Games.

Then, over time, Meghan's patronages and charities will grow steadily. We've a lot to look forward to. :D

My guess would be early fall. They'll release a short list of patronages that Meghan will be taking on and state that things are in the works but I don't expect a slew of solo engagements to start until after their down under trip and the Invictus Games.

Then, over time, Meghan's patronages and charities will grow steadily. We've a lot to look forward to. :D

I don’t know, I kinda think Meghan is ready to branch out on her own for her patronage’s. I know the list will steadily go up though. Perhaps the start of some solo engagements in the fall.

I think she will even do some solo engagements during the Invictus Games. Attending some games and presenting medals.

I think she will even do some solo engagements during the Invictus Games. Attending some games and presenting medals.

Just a question, will they be considered engagements? I would hope she would do a solo before they go to Aus.

Just a question, will they be considered engagements? I would hope she would do a solo before they go to Aus.

I do think attending the competitions, presenting medals and attending receptions are considered engagements.

I don’t think it’s going to take her too long to conduct some engagements on her own. I’m sure Meghan and her KP officials are working behind the scenes on her charitable interests and official launch. You could tell how eager she is to do her own thing during the Royal Foundation forum she, Harry and the Cambridge’s conducted earlier this year. Just had the get the wedding out of the way.

Yes, when it is an official tour, anything they attend is considered an engagement. Why engagement counts go way up after a tour, as they usually have 3-4 engagements a day.

As Harry and Meghan will be in Australia officially, not a private trip (as any trip even for charity is if not officially invited by the country), their events at IG should count as engagements.

I wonder when Meghan will launch herself on royal stage with her list of charities, late summer or early fall? I know she can’t wait to get to work.

How do you know? She may want to have a baby...

I'd assume that as Kate and William were able to spend time with their children in the early years, te queen would want the same for her other grandson.. that he and Meg would be able to have asome family time before they become full time royal workers. And Meghan is in her mid 30s, so i'd imagine she would want to get pregnant soon

:previous: The ceremonies, engagements and duties will always be there, but you will only have your children's infancy, toddler stage and early years only once. :)The time passes very quickly and then they're off to work. If Meghan and Harry believe that they parents should be involved in their children's early development, then that is best decision for their family IMHO.

You guys are talking about babies that haven’t been announced nor born yet. I’m talking about her first patronage’s, first speech and first official engagements she conducts on her own.

I'd assume that as Kate and William were able to spend time with their children in the early years, te queen would want the same for her other grandson.. that he and Meg would be able to have asome family time before they become full time royal workers. And Meghan is in her mid 30s, so i'd imagine she would want to get pregnant soon

Each situation is different (and there is no guarantee that they will be able to have children - it's more likely they will have them than not but I am sure they are aware that time is not on their side - although many royals (and other women) had babies in their late thirties).

Maybe not being full-time royals is not what Harry and Meghan are looking for - and I am sure the queen will not force it on them just because William and Catherine (who are in a very different position as William will one day be the Sovereign) preferred a more quiet life with some kind of normal job when in their early thirties. Moreover, royal 'full-time' life seems rather flexible, so I don't see how a family and a royal life cannot go together. There is quite a lot of flexibility in the number of engagements they take on. I don't expect Meghan to become mostly invisible and Harry to look for a 'normal job' next to fewer royal duties not that long after he finally decided to focus completely on royal duties and his charities. Slowing down a little if little ones show up would be natural - especially for Meghan who would take maternity leave - but that's about it.

Last edited:
I agree, Somebody. W&C were in a different unique situation where they had the privilege of a quieter, slower initial family life, simply because their unique circumstances allowed for it. William had not yet been a working full-time royal at their wedding and they were 'only' in their early 30s.

Meghan and Harry were never going to have the same experience because by the time they met Harry had already shifted his focus to royal work and has accepted and even found his passion in his patronages and duties. This difference in pace was already obvious during their engagement and it'll continue to be now in the early stages of their marriage. Of course it'll balance itself out eventually, but the two brothers were always going to have a different experience in this regard.( Although, I am sure H & M's unique situation is taken into consideration and they are awarded as much goodwill and room to grow together as possible (within the limits of their roles). )

Also; this may just be me, but I don't see Meghan wanting to rush off immediately by herself. Nor do I see anyone at KP who thinks that would be a good idea. Not because of Meghan's lack of aptitude but simply because she has only been living in the UK for 8 months. She wasn't groomed over years and even the most natural things that are normal for us are new and foreign for her. I am sure she'll have plenty of solo engagements and patronages in the future, but she is not even fully out of the gate at this point.
There is nothing wrong with learning the ropes by tagging along and taking the backseat for the time being. I don't see Meghan having a problem with that at all, tbh - that doesn't have to mean that she is not given her chance to shine or interact(we have plenty of evidence of the opposite, actually:)). I just think that right now solo engagement and patronages shouldn't be high on their list of priorities. I see that happening after their tour in the fall, with her first solo engagements during IG.

A slower, solid foundation is always going to win in the long run, imo. This is not a 4-year presidency, this is a lifetime role.

Last edited:
:previous: The ceremonies, engagements and duties will always be there, but you will only have your children's infancy, toddler stage and early years only once. :)The time passes very quickly and then they're off to work. If Meghan and Harry believe that they parents should be involved in their children's early development, then that is best decision for their family IMHO.

We're talking royals here. Not people working full time jobs. Mothers and fathers of small children work 40 hours a week and don't miss out on the stages of their children. Doing 3/4 engagements a week (most of them are like 2 hours at most), certainly doesn't mean they wouldn't be hands on parents. Lets not shame commoner parents, saying that having a job means you aren't involved in your children's development.

Meghan and Harry wont be off living in Wales or Sandringham. Their children will be close by. No reason they need to take time off. Plenty of royal women manage both.

Meghan has worked her entire life. While she certainly will take maternity leave, I don't see her taking an extended maternity leave. Like the Cambridges, Harry and Meghan will have a well-trained full time nanny to help with their kids when needed.

Besides she isn't even pregnant yet. Silly to thinks he would put on hold or on slow track taking on patronages, in preparation to have kids.

There is nothing wrong with learning the ropes by tagging along and taking the backseat for the time being. I don't see Meghan having a problem with that at all, tbh - that doesn't have to mean that she is not given her chance to shine or interact(we have plenty of evidence of the opposite actually:)). I just think that right now solo engagement and patronages shouldn't be high on their list of priorities. I see that happening after their tour in the fall, with her first sole engagements during IG.

A slower, solid foundation is always going to win in the long run, imo. This is not a 4-year presidency, this is a lifetime role.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Meghan is still learning and I suspect her 1st solo engagement will happen during the tour as well. Then once they return to the UK they will probably announce her 1st patronage. There is no rush. Meghan will be in this role the rest of her life.

Also; this may just be me, but I don't see Meghan wanting to rush off immediately by herself. Nor do I see anyone at KP who thinks that would be a good idea. Not because of Meghan's lack of aptitude but simply because she has only been living in the UK for 8 months. She wasn't groomed over years and even the most natural things that are normal for us are new and foreign for her. I am sure she'll have plenty of solo engagements and patronages in the future, but she is not even fully out of the gate at this point.

There is nothing wrong with learning the ropes by tagging along and taking the backseat for the time being. I don't see Meghan having a problem with that at all, tbh - that doesn't have to mean that she is not given her chance to shine or interact(we have plenty of evidence of the opposite actually:)). I just think that right now solo engagement and patronages shouldn't be high on their list of priorities. I see that happening after their tour in the fall, with her first sole engagements during IG.

I agree, Chloep. :flowers: Though I do wonder if she might get bored, yet what's more likely is she is doing work behind the scenes right now and will continue doing so for some time. We won't see the results until closer to the 1 year anniversary of their engagement, I think.

I am also (very much) living through Meghan in regards Harry's and Meghan's future house and the baby situation. ;) If I were her I'd be having a ball planning the new house and family. I'd be relaxing in all the newness, getting my sea-legs. It's really a happy time right now for them imo. They did it, or Harry did! He met and married his lady in record time. (One can only imagine Harry's forethought and organizing skills that came into play)! No lingering engagement, it's a done deal, and now it's all 'for real' and it must be so much fun. I am so delighted for them every time I see them.

P.S. Given Meghan's career background, and her proved abilities in these last few months, I don't think a solo engagement is really a question of 'can she' or 'how will she do'? I think it's mainly just when will it make sense to do so. In fact their charisma right now is them as a couple. Certainly Harry is a draw as himself, but not as clear what kind of draw Meghan on her own would be and it's maybe not necessary to put her into that crucible for some time. If she winds up being pregnant people will come out then for sure. ;) Otherwise, my view is to take it slow.

Last edited:
I happen to think Meghan will start doing a few solo engagements this fall. I also think some charities of her choice will be announced in the fall too.

I know some folks think she have to take baby steps because this royal life is new to her, but she’s been on the world stage (on her own) for some time. She also expressed a lot of eagerness to get her feet wet. She’s going to be fine on her solo engagements.

She must be working hard on researching causes.

Last edited:
Meghan has said and shown that she plans to "hit the ground running" so many times I can hear it in my sleep. I choose to believe her. She knew she was 36 when she made the statement so I'll leave the family planning to her and Harry.

I think she and Harry will divide and conquer a bit during Invictus Sydney since it sounds like they won't be there the whole week due to the tour. Having Meghan attend a few sporting events solo will help spread their coverage and should be low risk for her. At the British team trials, I think she told one of the athletes that she watched a swimming event last year so she may have already done this unofficially. I do hope she'll announce her 1st patronage before the tour even if she just continues to do private meetings with the organization.

Jacob Thomas, one of the Queen's Awards winners, was very chatty about his interaction with Meghan at last week's reception. He's the same guy from the CHOGM Youth Forum reception who quoted Meghan as saying "[gay rights are] a basic human rights issue, not one about sexuality.’’ It's a short interview but pretty insightful. Scroll to middle of article. He's in a pink jacket.

https://honey.nine.com.au/2018/07/0...et-aussie-commonwealth-youth-representatives#

We're talking royals here. Not people working full time jobs. Mothers and fathers of small children work 40 hours a week and don't miss out on the stages of their children. Doing 3/4 engagements a week (most of them are like 2 hours at most), certainly doesn't mean they wouldn't be hands on parents. Lets not shame commoner parents, saying that having a job means you aren't involved in your children's development.

Meghan and Harry wont be off living in Wales or Sandringham. Their children will be close by. No reason they need to take time off. Plenty of royal women manage both.

Meghan has worked her entire life. While she certainly will take maternity leave, I don't see her taking an extended maternity leave. Like the Cambridges, Harry and Meghan will have a well-trained full time nanny to help with their kids when needed.

Besides she isn't even pregnant yet. Silly to thinks he would put on hold or on slow track taking on patronages, in preparation to have kids.

European standards for maternity/paternity/family leave are generous. Even royal parents have the option of considering how involved they'll be in their royal duties when their children are very young. While I agree that the Sussexes will engage a qualified and full time nanny, Meghan and Harry will make the decision as to how often the nanny will have care of their child. The Windsor royal mothers that came before Meghan typically have performed fewer duties when their children were infants/toddler/pre-schoolers even though they engaged nannies/nursery staff. (QEII being a notable exception.)

Yes Meghan has held part time and full time jobs like Diana, Camilla, Kate, Sophie, etc.. did in their post school years prior to marrying. She will certainly have patronages, charities and royal duties, but if the Sussexes determine that having one parent spend more time with their children during their younger years, then that is their choice. The royal duties will always be there, the opportunity to spend time with them while their in their first five years will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom