Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Princess Anne be one of the royal women to give royal advice to Meghan?

Maybe for a few things, but Anne never had to fit in and find her way. She has been The Queen's daughter since she was 18 months old.

I think Kate and Sophie would be able to help from the aspect of joining the BRF.

I agree with you, Mbruno. I think their first priority after the wedding will be to settle in and start their family. They will be given the space to do this much like William and Kate were. I would expect that eventually (sooner rather than later), there will come an announcement of maybe 4-5 charities and organizations that Meghan has chosen to focus on.

The family though will probably be the first priority.
:previous: Good points Osipi. Yes I agree that starting a family will be one of their first priorities as a couple.

Maybe for a few things, but Anne never had to fit in and find her way. She has been The Queen's daughter since she was 18 months old.

I think Kate and Sophie would be able to help from the aspect of joining the BRF.

The Royal Family will miss Margaret now more than ever. Margaret was the princess spare. The spare. She would have taught Meghan what it is to be a princess in the modern era (1945-present).

I hope that Princess Michael, Princess Alexandra, and Princesses William, Charles and Edward teach Meghan what must be done to be a 21st century royal.

The Royal Family will miss Margaret now more than ever. Margaret was the princess spare. The spare. She would have taught Meghan what it is to be a princess in the modern era (1945-present).

I hope that Princess Michael, Princess Alexandra, and Princesses William, Charles and Edward teach Meghan what must be done to be a 21st century royal.

I don't see any of the above people really having that much of an impact in "preparing" Meghan. If anyone is going to be close to Meghan and show her the "ropes", so to speak, I think it'll be Kate. The most important factor is that she is joining a family and becoming part of the family. With Harry and William and Kate around, I don't think she can be steered wrong.

... I hope that Princess Michael, Princess Alexandra, ...
The above ladies are members of the extended family. It is not their job to train Prince Henry's future spouse. Prince Charles is wealthy enough to address the issue.

The above ladies are members of the extended family. It is not their job to train Prince Henry's future spouse. Prince Charles is wealthy enough to address the issue.

They should. They're family members now. They need to modernize a bit.

I'd say Harry will be instrumental in guiding Meghan as well.

LaRae

Margaret was not a princess in the modern era-1945 was nothing like 2017. What an odd notion.
And Margaret has been dead for over 15 years, lots has changed.

I don't think Princess Michael or Princess Alexandra will be her mentors either.

Harry, Kate, William and yes Charles, perhaps the Queen-even Sophie, I can see mentoring Meghan

edited to add--No one but you calls Kate Princess William, Camilla is not known as Princess Charles nor is Sophie addressed as Princess Edward. Half the people don't know what the heck you are talking about when you use those names.

Last edited:
Princess Michael is not even a senior royal according to most standards and the queen never calls upon her to represent her. So, no I don't think she has much to teach Catherine. Princess Alexandra is a princess by birth of a very different generation. Other than Henry, William and Catherine, the only other one that I could see as a mentor is Sophie (Camilla as a step-mom might be ok but a little more complicated).

I can definitely see Camilla steering Meghan in the direction of supporting women's causes and rescue animals though. That is one area that these two women are going to be kindred souls. It seems to be that there are areas that Meghan will have in common with a lot of the members of the royal family.

I can even see Meghan pulling a "Camilla" and walking away from a rescue shelter with her own, new "Bluebell". :D

I can definitely see Camilla steering Meghan in the direction of supporting women's causes and rescue animals though. That is one area that these two women are going to be kindred souls. It seems to be that there are areas that Meghan will have in common with a lot of the members of the royal family.

I can even see Meghan pulling a "Camilla" and walking away from a rescue shelter with her own, new "Bluebell". :D

I don't think she needs 'steering' in the direction of supporting women's causes as she already works in that area. Rescue animals would also be close to her interests, so I do agree that there are possibilities to work together - just didn't think of her in a more general mentor role.

Good points Osipi-those are common interests they may bond over.

I can even see Meghan pulling a "Camilla" and walking away from a rescue shelter with her own, new "Bluebell".

How about her own, new "Felix"? We cat lovers are missing out here! I want to see Royal Cats. :whistling:

I think Meghan will take on board any advice she is given if she thinks it suits the occasion. She seems a very sensible and intelligent person. I expect Kate will help her the most (of the wives, I mean). They will be sisters-in-law after all, and are much the same age.

100% agree from another cat person.
Cat lover checking in - I have two rescue kitties of my own and they are just as wonderful as pets as dogs. We need some Royal Cats - though I was thoroughly charmed at Harry sharing that The Queen's corgis took to Meghan right away and plopped down at her feet.

I would love to see Meghan helping to promote the performing arts as well when she begins taking on patronages. She is a natural fit for that as much as she is for women's issues, animal rescue, and the U.N.. I think she will compliment and fit right in on the new Team WKH&M.

How about her own, new "Felix"? We cat lovers are missing out here! I want to see Royal Cats. :whistling:

I think Meghan will take on board any advice she is given if she thinks it suits the occasion. She seems a very sensible and intelligent person. I expect Kate will help her the most (of the wives, I mean). They will be sisters-in-law after all, and are much the same age.

True. I could see Kate and Meghan getting along as sisters-in-law, both princesses by marriage.

True. I could see Kate and Meghan getting along as sisters-in-law, both princesses by marriage.

They also have some common interests- they're both very into cooking/foodie culture and fitness. I could see them, especially as neighbors at Kensington, doing things like yoga and gardening together.

I am also very much hoping Serena Williams is back at Wimbledon this year- she's a close friend of Meghan's and that's Kate's patronage so it seems like a natural "girl's day" kind of occasion for them to attend together.

Meghan gave a shout out to Kate in her interview about how great she'd been - so I imagine Kate has already taken Meghan under her wing for how things work. And maybe Meghan can help Kate with her public speaking since Meghan is so experienced in that area.

Meghan is to give up all her current charity patronages but expects to continue with similar interests. Kensington Palace says she is keen to visit as much of the UK as she can. Via Royal Reporter

Meghan is going to give up all her current patronages, but will take similar patronages soon.
Why would that be? I don't like it that they don't evaluate them on an individual basis and let her keep as much as possible. She is an ambassador for a Canadian NGO - sounds great; UN-work for women - wonderful; why does she need to give everything up?

Why would that be? I don't like it that they don't evaluate them on an individual basis and let her keep as much as possible. She is an ambassador for a Canadian NGO - sounds great; UN-work for women - wonderful; why does she need to give everything up?

It'll likely be more UK focused as she is getting to know her new country.

It'll likely be more UK focused as she is getting to know her new country.
She could easily add that instead of replace that. And Canada is part of the commonwealth, that is also one of the realms of her future in-laws.

She could easily add that instead of replace that. And Canada is part of the commonwealth, that is also one of the realms of her future in-laws.

The key here is that she needs to become part of Britain. It doesn't help when she has foreign charities. Especially her UN was advocate for women's political participation. It might rub some the wrong way as the royals are expected to stay out of the political sphere.

Meghan is to give up all her current charity patronages but expects to continue with similar interests. Kensington Palace says she is keen to visit as much of the UK as she can. Via Royal Reporter

She hasn't been able to do so since the news of their relationship broke, so I am sure they are happy that they are able to leave the house once in awhile after locking themselves in for about a year.

The key here is that she needs to become part of Britain. It doesn't help when she has foreign charities. Especially her UN was advocate for women's political participation. It might rub some the wrong way as the royals are expected to stay out of the political sphere.

Well, I guess that's how the court sees it. I would say that she of course should focus on getting to know Britain at this point in time but given that the Queen has 15 other realms it is actually refreshing to have someone who is not as narrow-minded in her focus; she will also a princess of the Royal House of Canada, of Australia, of New Zealand, etc. As was clear from the engagement interview.

She could even retain certain honorary roles and not be very active in it for a little while (the Duke of Edinburgh certainly didn't have a yearly active involvement with all of his charities, he just had too many of them). To me, it would be very different if she created her own charity and wanted to incorporate that into her royal work - that is something I have doubts about. But as these are existing organizations that asked her to represent her and that she carefully researched and committed to; I don't think marrying Harry should force her to give that up as that representing these types of organizations is exactly what she is supposed to be doing.

And yes, staying out of politics is important but advocating for women to have a role in politics should be fine. It would be different if there was a huge movement in the UK that only men could be represented in politics but I don't think that is the case, so this actually is a very political-neutral issue that she could continue advocating and that is relevant in especially some of the smaller realms.

So yes, if she was only to become a princess of Britain, I could see how being involved with a Canadian charity could de discouraged (although not all royal families would agree), however, not in this case. Unless the family truly wants to send the message that all the other realms should become republics as the head of state and her family doesn't care at all about them...

(See also the discussion about the monarchy in Australia where William's active involved pro-England against-Australia wasn't appreciated; and rightly so)

While the royal family does represent the Commonwealth, I think, of I understand correctly, that role fall predominantly on the monarch. I think it’s important for Meghan to focus on getting to know The United Kingdom first as that is what she will be a princess of. Is he should focus her activity there and then branch out. I don’t see a problem. It might also have to do with the fact that her representation was in her professional capacity not her capacity as a princess. I’m thinking there’s a difference.

Meghan will not be a Princess and certainly not a Princess of the United Kingdom. The only Princess title she would receive is Princess Henry of Wales if he would not receive a title.

Meghan will not be a Princess and certainly not a Princess of the United Kingdom. The only Princess title she would receive is Princess Henry of Wales if he would not receive a title.

Quick question - is the only reason Kate listed her occupation on George and Charlotte's birth certificates as "princess of the UK" because she's the wife of a future King?

She will be a Princess of United Kingdom through marriage. Although not a princess in her own right as Princess Charlotte is.

Quick question - is the only reason Kate listed her occupation on George and Charlotte's birth certificates as "princess of the UK" because she's the wife of a future King?

No. She is technically a Princess of United Kingdom by marriage. Just not Princess Kate or Princess Catherine, just like Meghan will not be Princess Meghan, as she is not a princess by birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom