Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it won’t be her title...but when Prince George was born, Prince William listed his and Catherine’s occupation as Prince and Princess of the United Kingdom. That is what I am referring to not titles.

And she will be a princess: HRH Princess Henry, Duchess of...

For example:
Kate is HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, etc.
Sophie is HRH The Princess Edward, Countess of Wessex, etc.

EDIT: what everyone else said lol

Quick question - is the only reason Kate listed her occupation on George and Charlotte's birth certificates as "princess of the UK" because she's the wife of a future King?
There's no formal reason for that distinction. It would be just as correct for other members of the family. The occupation is self-reported, though, so assuming Harry and Meghan have children, they can put down whatever they want.

In any case, Meghan will be a princess because she will be marrying a prince. Catherine, Sophie, Birgitte, etc are princesses, just as Meghan will be.

I see that I was somewhat in the wrong about the Princess title. I have learnt something new here. Thanks!

Meghan will not be a Princess and certainly not a Princess of the United Kingdom. The only Princess title she would receive is Princess Henry of Wales if he would not receive a title.

what do you mean of course she's goig to be a princess

Meghan Markle will join the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry as a patron after her wedding to Prince Harry in May. She's expected to join Harry on plenty of engagements around the UK in the coming months

Via Roya Nikkhah

I don't think Meghan should be mentioned in the CC on Friday or before the wedding. Yes she is a future member and is attending with a working member but whenever Beatrice and Eugenie attend their father's engagements they get no mention because they are not working members of the RF, Meghan currently is not as well.

As of Friday isn't she a working member of the family? She and Harry are doing multiple engagements that day.

LaRae

As of Friday isn't she a working member of the family? She and Harry are doing multiple engagements that day.

LaRae

I don’t think so. The distinction has always been made as fiancée vs spouse. From what I understand, the CC is not particularly accurate and there has always been discussion about why Princesses Beatrice and Eugenia aren’t mentioned.

Catherine’s pre wedding engagements didn’t make it into the court circular. We’ll have to wait and see

:previous: Was she noted as having accompanied William to the events in the CC?

:previous: Was she noted as having accompanied William to the events in the CC?

I hope I understand your question correctly. Fiancées only accompany the royal to their engagements. They don’t have any engagements of their own so that’s what is being referred to.

Yes I did understand that as a fiance this wouldn't have been considered her engagement, but at times the CC will note that a royal was "accompanied by ___________."?

Okay - I have been searching for a post that I thought I read that said Meghan would be the Patron of The Royal Foundation - has anyone seen that posted here?

Or does anyone know if that's been said officially? I've been looking for an hour.

Also - if she becomes "the" Patron does that mean she's the only one? That just doesn't sound right.

I think she will join in on some of Harry's and keep her UN work too. Plus most likely take on some new ones as well.

LaRae

Well, I just read this:

"Ms Markle is to become the fourth patron of the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.
The actress will not be continuing her work on gender with the UN or with other organisations, but instead will starting her charity work as a full-time royal afresh.

Read more: Prince Harry is seen leaving a workout in Chelsea | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Looks like she's going to giving up her UN and other causes and start fresh.

I saw that earlier. I wonder if she will pick them back up later or something similar to them.

LaRae

Meghan will not be a Princess and certainly not a Princess of the United Kingdom. The only Princess title she would receive is Princess Henry of Wales if he would not receive a title.

I think you are a bit confused about what is meant by the term 'of the UK'.

ALL the princes and princesses are 'of the UK'. They often use territorial designations but that is to distinguish which branch of the family they belong to and doesn't remove them from being 'of the UK.'

As a result as the wife of a 'Prince of the UK' Meghan will be a 'Princess of the UK'. She will be HRH Princess Henry of Wales and when Charles becomes King she will be HRH The Princess Henry.

What she won't be is HRH Princess Meghan.

She will be known as either HRH Princess Henry of Wales and then HRH The Princess Henry when Charles becomes King or Duchess of xxxx but she will still be a princess.

Remember that in the UK Princess is a lower style than Duchess anyway. The only wife of a Prince of the UK who uses the title of Princess is Princess Michael of Kent and that is because Michael has nothing better for her to use.

When Birgitte married Richard she was known officially as Princess Richard of Gloucester but when he inherited the Dukedom they were both promoted from Prince and Princess to Duke and Duchess.

Meghan will therefore be - HRH Princess Henry of Wales if Harry isn't promoted to a peer of the realm on or before his wedding day.

The 'of Wale', 'of Cambridge', 'of York', 'of Gloucester' and 'of Kent' are there so people can know which prince or princess you are talking about if there are two of them e.g. there are two Prince Edwards - one is 'of Wessex' and one is 'of Kent' but both of 'of the UK'.

Last edited:
I think you are a bit confused about what is meant by the term 'of the UK'.

ALL the princes and princesses are 'of the UK'. They often use territorial designations but that is to distinguish which branch of the family they belong to and doesn't remove them from being 'of the UK.'

As a result as the wife of a 'Prince of the UK' Meghan will be a 'Princess of the UK'. She will be HRH Princess Henry of Wales and when Charles becomes King she will be HRH The Princess Henry.

What she won't be is HRH Princess Meghan.

She will be known as either HRH Princess Henry of Wales and then HRH The Princess Henry when Charles becomes King or Duchess of xxxx but she will still be a princess.

Remember that in the UK Princess is a lower style than Duchess anyway. The only wife of a Prince of the UK who uses the title of Princess is Princess Michael of Kent and that is because Michael has nothing better for her to use.

When Birgitte married Richard she was known officially as Princess Richard of Gloucester but when he inherited the Dukedom they were both promoted from Prince and Princess to Duke and Duchess.

Meghan will therefore be - HRH Princess Henry of Wales if Harry isn't promoted to a peer of the realm on or before his wedding day.

The 'of Wale', 'of Cambridge', 'of York', 'of Gloucester' and 'of Kent' are there so people can know which prince or princess you are talking about if there are two of them e.g. there are two Prince Edwards - one is 'of Wessex' and one is 'of Kent' but both of 'of the UK'.

Unlike "Prince of Belgium", or "Prince of the Netherlands", or "Prince of Sweden", or "Prince of Denmark", which are official titles in their own right, it is not usual for a British prince to be officially named a "Prince of the United Kingdom". If I am not mistaken, the only LPs that specifically mention the title of "Prince of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" are the 1957 LPs that extended the princely dignity to Philip. All other British princes are simply "Princes" in the LPs, even those who are on a daily basis referred to by a territorial designation.

Having said that, William and Catherine, as pointed out before, have listed their jobs/occupations in legal documents as "Prince/Princess of the United Kingdom", so I would assume it is implied that all British HRHs are also "Princes/Princesses of the United Kingdom".

:previous: Don't worry Fashion Maven, it was all new information at one time or other to all of us. ?

:previous: Don't worry Fashion Maven, it was all new information at one time or other to all of us. ?

Oh you got that so right! Its amazing for me to realize that I've been learning the ins and outs of things as I went along just by reading stuff I was interested in. I came believing that there was a "Princess Diana" and astounded myself a ways down the line being able to have an intelligent discussion in a thread about the title and styling of "prince" and referring to LPs of various years. Its a process and a fun one at that. I had no clue that a duke was a peer of the realm and prince was just a designation of relationship to the monarch.

I do have to admit that even with all the years here under my belt, I still, for some odd reason, find myself typing duck instead of duke. Weird eh? :whistling:

Next, I expect a significant change of name of the Royal Foundation after the wedding. Probably something like The Royal Foundation of Cambridge and "X" as The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of "x" is going to take up the top half of the page as a letterhead. :lol:

Most significantly, we're going to be seeing Harry and Meghan hitting the ground running and appearing a lot in public together between now and the wedding. We've been starved for pictures and information on these two. They're just so wonderful to see together and involved with each other that I think I can seriously say that we're in for some real eye candy over the next six months or so as we work our way towards the "Big Day". :D

None of what you said here is true or correct.

Maybe they can start using acronyms? The D&DoC and The D&D of X <G>

LaRae

The Royal Foundation of The Duchies of Cambridge and X?

Or is it improper to say duchy when there is not land/property associated with the title?

The Royal Foundation of The Duchies of Cambridge and X?

Or is it improper to say duchy when there is not land/property associated with the title?

Can it just be the Royal Foundation of Cambridge and XXXX? I always thought the name was a mouthful as it is.

I don't think it can be "of Cambridge and X," since Cambridge is a city (and whatever title Harry is given will also be a geographical place that likely has a governmental body) and to call something that would imply that it's of the city, not of those individuals. Same for calling it the Royal Foundation without a qualifier; I would think it would have to be the Queen's creation to be called that.

Maybe they can start using acronyms? The D&DoC and The D&D of X <G>

LaRae
:lol:
LOL - they can be the Duke and Duchess of Xessex. That would be lovely. Sorry, it has been a long day. :lol:

I think it’s best to break it all down to The Royal Foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom