The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #521  
Old 12-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,285
I have no idea if Meghan will end up as patron of the Royal National Theatre, but if the Queen is beginning to divest herself of some of her patronages, either Meghan or Edward would seem to be the logical choices to take over this one.

On the other hand, I am also hoping that Meghan doesn't become the default choice for representing the royal family in everything to do with the arts. I'd hate to see her boxed into that narrow a focus when she has such varied interests, and it also feeds into the narrative that she's an actress first and a working royal second. I doubt that would happen, but it's worth thinking about.
__________________

  #522  
Old 12-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
On the other hand, I am also hoping that Meghan doesn't become the default choice for representing the royal family in everything to do with the arts. I'd hate to see her boxed into that narrow a focus when she has such varied interests, and it also feeds into the narrative that she's an actress first and a working royal second. I doubt that would happen, but it's worth thinking about.
I think that focusing on the performing arts solely can and would be a huge mistake and I would imagine the "Firm" realizes this. I'd really like to see her patronizing organizations where her training could be of great value but also there is so much more about Meghan that should be put to use also.

I'm really looking forward to the announcement of Meghan's patronages. Hopefully there's a lot of diversity among them.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #523  
Old 12-13-2018, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I have no idea if Meghan will end up as patron of the Royal National Theatre, but if the Queen is beginning to divest herself of some of her patronages, either Meghan or Edward would seem to be the logical choices to take over this one.

On the other hand, I am also hoping that Meghan doesn't become the default choice for representing the royal family in everything to do with the arts. I'd hate to see her boxed into that narrow a focus when she has such varied interests, and it also feeds into the narrative that she's an actress first and a working royal second. I doubt that would happen, but it's worth thinking about.
Let’s step back for a second and hold on. I highly doubt she’ll be the only one as there are others in the family that already have patronage’s related to arts. I think sometimes people are too quickly jumping into conclusions when it comes to these things. I still remember some remarks l (in general, not you specifically) when the Sussexes went to Brixton. Reality is, that was an engagement they wanted to do, but there isn’t anything preventing other members of the family to go there. Like the Wessexes went there with the Dutch King and Queen later in the year.
  #524  
Old 12-13-2018, 01:25 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Let’s step back for a second and hold on. I highly doubt she’ll be the only one as there are others in the family that already have patronage’s related to arts. I think sometimes people are too quickly jumping into conclusions when it comes to these things. I still remember some remarks l (in general, not you specifically) when the Sussexes went to Brixton. Reality is, that was an engagement they wanted to do, but there isn’t anything preventing other members of the family to go there. Like the Wessexes went there with the Dutch King and Queen later in the year.
I don't think I said anything that would imply I am jumping to conclusions.
  #525  
Old 12-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,282
Right now, Meghan's patronages are at a stage where we play with the Magic 8 Ball and come up with answers like "It is in the cards" or "Maybe" or any of the other generic answers that can fit most any question. It is plausible that Meghan may become the patron of the Royal National Theater and then again, she may not.

Charles himself is patron of over 70 arts organizations.

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/interests
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #526  
Old 12-13-2018, 02:37 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Right now, Meghan's patronages are at a stage where we play with the Magic 8 Ball and come up with answers like "It is in the cards" or "Maybe" or any of the other generic answers that can fit most any question. It is plausible that Meghan may become the patron of the Royal National Theater and then again, she may not.

Charles himself is patron of over 70 arts organizations.

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/interests
That's a good analogy. It's going to be very interesting to see what the initial list of patronages looks like, and how that shapes up over the years as she adds to those.

And yes, Charles has a broad range of interests, doesn't he? His interest in the arts goes back a long way, to his own amateur drama days and beyond! It's one of the things I really enjoy about him.
  #527  
Old 12-13-2018, 05:14 PM
Princess Larisa's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: ., Croatia
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It is a possibility that the Queen may hand down the patronage of the Royal National Theater to Meghan. We saw this happen recently with Evelina London Children's Hospital which was under the Queen's patronage until this week when it was announced that Kate was named a patron.
The Queen did NOT pass on her patronage to Catherine. The Queen was never a patron of Evelina London Children's Hospital. The Queen was and still is a patron of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust. The Evelina is part of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I have no idea if Meghan will end up as patron of the Royal National Theatre, but if the Queen is beginning to divest herself of some of her patronages, either Meghan or Edward would seem to be the logical choices to take over this one.
I’m pretty sure the only person to become the next patron of the National Theatre is Prince/King Charles. I don’t thing anything less than the monarch or consort will be considered for such a prominent institution.
I imagine Meghan and other royals will be involved with specific projects, but not become official patrons.
  #528  
Old 12-13-2018, 05:21 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,282
Thanks much for the correction and the facts on things, Princess Larisa. I really got the wrong impression on that one didn't I?

It makes sense that there are some organizations that are solely the monarch's patronage. Now I can check off my "learn something new today" box!
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #529  
Old 12-13-2018, 05:27 PM
Princess Larisa's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: ., Croatia
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Thanks much for the correction and the facts on things, Princess Larisa. I really got the wrong impression on that one didn't I?
No biggie, I thing the reports were a bit confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It makes sense that there are some organizations that are solely the monarch's patronage. Now I can check off my "learn something new today" box!
This is just my guess. I might be wrong, weirder things have happened
  #530  
Old 12-13-2018, 05:36 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
I’m pretty sure the only person to become the next patron of the National Theatre is Prince/King Charles. I don’t thing anything less than the monarch or consort will be considered for such a prominent institution.
I imagine Meghan and other royals will be involved with specific project, but not become official patrons.
You may be right, it certainly is a very high profile patronage.
  #531  
Old 12-13-2018, 07:46 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Many royals 'receive' someone who is connected to a charity/organisation. Sometimes they are to do with their own charities or organisations and sometimes not - it may be an area of interest but not directly connected to that royal. Sometimes a royal will also receive someone connected to another royals charity or organisations - especially when the charity or organisation has the Queen as patron as she does very few engagements to do with any of her patronages but sometimes another royal will step in for her (and now also for Philip).
Meghan also met lots of other people in the past year that didn't show up in the CC (and you will certainly know more about tgst than anyone else on TRF, so please correct me if I'm wrong), so to me the fact that this one was mentioned seems meaningful and I wouldn't be surprised to see it included in her list of patronages (but something else could also be in the works).
  #532  
Old 12-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,282
One thing I do know of is that anything that appears in the CC is there because it was approved by the Queen, herself. This meeting was The Duchess of Sussex representing the Queen and the "Firm" most likely (but not necessarily so) at the behest of the Queen herself.

We aren't told why they met or what they talked about only that it was a working visit between the two of them in relation to HM, The Queen.

If I'm wrong on this, please correct me?
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #533  
Old 12-13-2018, 07:56 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,083
There are some patronages that are the preserve of the monarch regardless of their own personal interests. Without going too far from Meghan I will give an example from an area of my own interest: The MCC or Marylebone Cricket Club and Middlesex Cricket Club (both based at Lords Cricket Ground) have had the monarch as their patron through multiple reigns. Philip is the cricket fan amongst the Queen's family - even reportedly watching the cricket while at Ascot in the Royal Box but still the Queen is the Patron. Charles is patron of Surrey Cricket Club as it is based at The Oval Cricket Ground which is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall - Surrey's badge is the Prince of Wales feathers as well. However the instant the Queen dies Charles will become Patron of the MCC and have to move his loyalty across London from The Oval and Surrey to Lords and Middlesex while William will take on the Surrey patronage.

The National Theatre may be a good choice for Meghan but it would also suit Edward and Charles. Charles is already patron of the Royal Shakespeare Company so he also has an interest in the theatre.
  #534  
Old 12-13-2018, 08:03 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I do know of is that anything that appears in the CC is there because it was approved by the Queen, herself. This meeting was The Duchess of Sussex representing the Queen and the "Firm" most likely (but not necessarily so) at the behest of the Queen herself.

We aren't told why they met or what they talked about only that it was a working visit between the two of them in relation to HM, The Queen.

If I'm wrong on this, please correct me?
Exactly.

When we think back to Kate and her choices of patronages I don't remember her receiving, officially, anyone to do with her choices prior to their announcement but she would certainly have done so. They don't just pick a charity and say 'I will be the patron of that charity/organisation'. They do a lot of research and also find out if the charity/organisation wants a royal patron.

Many organisations send invitations to the BRF for a patron and these are considered and, if possible, and there is an available royal to take it on they will do so but if none is interested they will decline, with regret. When a royal, with many patronages passes away or decides to cut down, the rest of the family pick up those patronages before taking on new ones.

With this practice in place there will be around 1000 charities or organistions that will need new patrons within the next decade or so (The Queen, Philip, The Duke of Kent, The Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra's). Some will be passed on before then and others will stop having a royal patron when the time comes but now would be a good time for Meghan and Kate to be looking at those charities as well as new ones to see which ones they may be interested in taking on. Harry is the other one who needs to be looking into these areas as well. Harry has already taken over the ANZAC commitment from the Duke of Kent with no formal announcement and I can see him eventually taking over the Commonwealth War Graves.

Meghan could easily be looking at some of the Queen's charities to take them on now but she should also be looking at those of Alexandra and the Duchess of Kent and maybe getting interested there.

I do hope one of the younger royals will pick up things like the Royal Academy of Music and other musical charities and organisations from the older generation of royals but as none of them seem that interested I do wonder how many of those organisations will lose their royal patron.

Personal interest is a good place to start but spreading into other areas is also a good way to grow and learn about other ways of doing things.
  #535  
Old 12-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
Another possible charity for Meghan would be this one IMO! it covers everything; the Commonwealth and education of girls/women! It even links to her speech given in Fiji.
https://www.cgefund.org/library/news/general
  #536  
Old 12-15-2018, 11:33 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Moose Jaw, Canada
Posts: 288
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/o...nage-vm6tj9050

According to Roya the Queen is set to give Meghan one of her patronages.
Harry and Meghan met with the Queen last week in BP to discuss which ones she should take on.

Meghan reportedly plans to visit each organization before taking her maternity leave in spring.
  #537  
Old 12-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,834
Nice. The young royals will be very busy in January according to Omid Scobie and Emily Nash. I expect that Meghan will be handed down some patronage’s from The Queen and probably even Prince Philip.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #538  
Old 12-16-2018, 12:17 AM
ACO ACO is online now
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,589
Hmm. I'll believe it when I see it but we shall see. I am going to guess that Meghan will announce her patronages in January. Seems she ramping up final visits.
  #539  
Old 12-16-2018, 07:42 AM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,784
Nice to read this bit of news about Meghan's future pateonages and I am intrigued about the possible one from the queen.
  #540  
Old 12-16-2018, 08:57 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Nice to read this bit of news about Meghan's future pateonages and I am intrigued about the possible one from the queen.
Given the press her children and husband got over the years, I doubt the Queen is worried over-much about Meghan.
__________________

__________________
"And the tabloid press will be a pain in the ass, as usual." - Royal Norway
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
abu dhabi america american history ancestry archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla carolin china chinese commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy doge of venice doll dresses duke of sussex family tree general news thread george vi gustaf vi adolf hello! highgrove house of windsor imperial household italian royal family jack brooksbank jacobite japan jewellery king edward vii książ castle line of succession list of rulers luxembourg maxima meghan markle monarchy nepalese royal jewels prince constantijn prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria royal ancestry royal jewels serbian royal family solomon j solomon speech sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan tradition uae customs united states of america welsh wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×