The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #381  
Old 07-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 4,980
The ceremonies, engagements and duties will always be there, but you will only have your children's infancy, toddler stage and early years only once. The time passes very quickly and then they're off to work. If Meghan and Harry believe that they parents should be involved in their children's early development, then that is best decision for their family IMHO.
__________________

  #382  
Old 07-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,834
You guys are talking about babies that haven’t been announced nor born yet. I’m talking about her first patronage’s, first speech and first official engagements she conducts on her own.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #383  
Old 07-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I'd assume that as Kate and William were able to spend time with their children in the early years, te queen would want the same for her other grandson.. that he and Meg would be able to have asome family time before they become full time royal workers. And Meghan is in her mid 30s, so i'd imagine she would want to get pregnant soon
Each situation is different (and there is no guarantee that they will be able to have children - it's more likely they will have them than not but I am sure they are aware that time is not on their side - although many royals (and other women) had babies in their late thirties).

Maybe not being full-time royals is not what Harry and Meghan are looking for - and I am sure the queen will not force it on them just because William and Catherine (who are in a very different position as William will one day be the Sovereign) preferred a more quiet life with some kind of normal job when in their early thirties. Moreover, royal 'full-time' life seems rather flexible, so I don't see how a family and a royal life cannot go together. There is quite a lot of flexibility in the number of engagements they take on. I don't expect Meghan to become mostly invisible and Harry to look for a 'normal job' next to fewer royal duties not that long after he finally decided to focus completely on royal duties and his charities. Slowing down a little if little ones show up would be natural - especially for Meghan who would take maternity leave - but that's about it.
  #384  
Old 07-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 304
I agree, Somebody. W&C were in a different unique situation where they had the privilege of a quieter, slower initial family life, simply because their unique circumstances allowed for it. William had not yet been a working full-time royal at their wedding and they were 'only' in their early 30s.

Meghan and Harry were never going to have the same experience because by the time they met Harry had already shifted his focus to royal work and has accepted and even found his passion in his patronages and duties. This difference in pace was already obvious during their engagement and it'll continue to be now in the early stages of their marriage. Of course it'll balance itself out eventually, but the two brothers were always going to have a different experience in this regard.( Although, I am sure H & M's unique situation is taken into consideration and they are awarded as much goodwill and room to grow together as possible (within the limits of their roles). )


Also; this may just be me, but I don't see Meghan wanting to rush off immediately by herself. Nor do I see anyone at KP who thinks that would be a good idea. Not because of Meghan's lack of aptitude but simply because she has only been living in the UK for 8 months. She wasn't groomed over years and even the most natural things that are normal for us are new and foreign for her. I am sure she'll have plenty of solo engagements and patronages in the future, but she is not even fully out of the gate at this point.
There is nothing wrong with learning the ropes by tagging along and taking the backseat for the time being. I don't see Meghan having a problem with that at all, tbh - that doesn't have to mean that she is not given her chance to shine or interact(we have plenty of evidence of the opposite, actually:)). I just think that right now solo engagement and patronages shouldn't be high on their list of priorities. I see that happening after their tour in the fall, with her first solo engagements during IG.

A slower, solid foundation is always going to win in the long run, imo. This is not a 4-year presidency, this is a lifetime role.
  #385  
Old 07-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
The ceremonies, engagements and duties will always be there, but you will only have your children's infancy, toddler stage and early years only once. The time passes very quickly and then they're off to work. If Meghan and Harry believe that they parents should be involved in their children's early development, then that is best decision for their family IMHO.
We're talking royals here. Not people working full time jobs. Mothers and fathers of small children work 40 hours a week and don't miss out on the stages of their children. Doing 3/4 engagements a week (most of them are like 2 hours at most), certainly doesn't mean they wouldn't be hands on parents. Lets not shame commoner parents, saying that having a job means you aren't involved in your children's development.

Meghan and Harry wont be off living in Wales or Sandringham. Their children will be close by. No reason they need to take time off. Plenty of royal women manage both.


Meghan has worked her entire life. While she certainly will take maternity leave, I don't see her taking an extended maternity leave. Like the Cambridges, Harry and Meghan will have a well-trained full time nanny to help with their kids when needed.


Besides she isn't even pregnant yet. Silly to thinks he would put on hold or on slow track taking on patronages, in preparation to have kids.
  #386  
Old 07-07-2018, 06:25 PM
ACO ACO is online now
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
There is nothing wrong with learning the ropes by tagging along and taking the backseat for the time being. I don't see Meghan having a problem with that at all, tbh - that doesn't have to mean that she is not given her chance to shine or interact(we have plenty of evidence of the opposite actually:)). I just think that right now solo engagement and patronages shouldn't be high on their list of priorities. I see that happening after their tour in the fall, with her first sole engagements during IG.

A slower, solid foundation is always going to win in the long run, imo. This is not a 4-year presidency, this is a lifetime role.
I agree with a lot of what you said. Meghan is still learning and I suspect her 1st solo engagement will happen during the tour as well. Then once they return to the UK they will probably announce her 1st patronage. There is no rush. Meghan will be in this role the rest of her life.
  #387  
Old 07-07-2018, 07:37 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
Also; this may just be me, but I don't see Meghan wanting to rush off immediately by herself. Nor do I see anyone at KP who thinks that would be a good idea. Not because of Meghan's lack of aptitude but simply because she has only been living in the UK for 8 months. She wasn't groomed over years and even the most natural things that are normal for us are new and foreign for her. I am sure she'll have plenty of solo engagements and patronages in the future, but she is not even fully out of the gate at this point.

There is nothing wrong with learning the ropes by tagging along and taking the backseat for the time being. I don't see Meghan having a problem with that at all, tbh - that doesn't have to mean that she is not given her chance to shine or interact(we have plenty of evidence of the opposite actually:)). I just think that right now solo engagement and patronages shouldn't be high on their list of priorities. I see that happening after their tour in the fall, with her first sole engagements during IG.

A slower, solid foundation is always going to win in the long run, imo. This is not a 4-year presidency, this is a lifetime role.
I agree, Chloep. Though I do wonder if she might get bored, yet what's more likely is she is doing work behind the scenes right now and will continue doing so for some time. We won't see the results until closer to the 1 year anniversary of their engagement, I think.

I am also (very much) living through Meghan in regards Harry's and Meghan's future house and the baby situation. If I were her I'd be having a ball planning the new house and family. I'd be relaxing in all the newness, getting my sea-legs. It's really a happy time right now for them imo. They did it, or Harry did! He met and married his lady in record time. (One can only imagine Harry's forethought and organizing skills that came into play)! No lingering engagement, it's a done deal, and now it's all 'for real' and it must be so much fun. I am so delighted for them every time I see them.

P.S. Given Meghan's career background, and her proved abilities in these last few months, I don't think a solo engagement is really a question of 'can she' or 'how will she do'? I think it's mainly just when will it make sense to do so. In fact their charisma right now is them as a couple. Certainly Harry is a draw as himself, but not as clear what kind of draw Meghan on her own would be and it's maybe not necessary to put her into that crucible for some time. If she winds up being pregnant people will come out then for sure. Otherwise, my view is to take it slow.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #388  
Old 07-07-2018, 08:34 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,834
I happen to think Meghan will start doing a few solo engagements this fall. I also think some charities of her choice will be announced in the fall too.

I know some folks think she have to take baby steps because this royal life is new to her, but she’s been on the world stage (on her own) for some time. She also expressed a lot of eagerness to get her feet wet. She’s going to be fine on her solo engagements.

She must be working hard on researching causes.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #389  
Old 07-08-2018, 05:58 AM
Royal Suitor's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: West Coast, United States
Posts: 241
Meghan has said and shown that she plans to "hit the ground running" so many times I can hear it in my sleep. I choose to believe her. She knew she was 36 when she made the statement so I'll leave the family planning to her and Harry.

I think she and Harry will divide and conquer a bit during Invictus Sydney since it sounds like they won't be there the whole week due to the tour. Having Meghan attend a few sporting events solo will help spread their coverage and should be low risk for her. At the British team trials, I think she told one of the athletes that she watched a swimming event last year so she may have already done this unofficially. I do hope she'll announce her 1st patronage before the tour even if she just continues to do private meetings with the organization.

Jacob Thomas, one of the Queen's Awards winners, was very chatty about his interaction with Meghan at last week's reception. He's the same guy from the CHOGM Youth Forum reception who quoted Meghan as saying "[gay rights are] a basic human rights issue, not one about sexuality.’’ It's a short interview but pretty insightful. Scroll to middle of article. He's in a pink jacket.

https://honey.nine.com.au/2018/07/06...presentatives#
  #390  
Old 07-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
We're talking royals here. Not people working full time jobs. Mothers and fathers of small children work 40 hours a week and don't miss out on the stages of their children. Doing 3/4 engagements a week (most of them are like 2 hours at most), certainly doesn't mean they wouldn't be hands on parents. Lets not shame commoner parents, saying that having a job means you aren't involved in your children's development.

Meghan and Harry wont be off living in Wales or Sandringham. Their children will be close by. No reason they need to take time off. Plenty of royal women manage both.


Meghan has worked her entire life. While she certainly will take maternity leave, I don't see her taking an extended maternity leave. Like the Cambridges, Harry and Meghan will have a well-trained full time nanny to help with their kids when needed.


Besides she isn't even pregnant yet. Silly to thinks he would put on hold or on slow track taking on patronages, in preparation to have kids.

European standards for maternity/paternity/family leave are generous. Even royal parents have the option of considering how involved they'll be in their royal duties when their children are very young. While I agree that the Sussexes will engage a qualified and full time nanny, Meghan and Harry will make the decision as to how often the nanny will have care of their child. The Windsor royal mothers that came before Meghan typically have performed fewer duties when their children were infants/toddler/pre-schoolers even though they engaged nannies/nursery staff. (QEII being a notable exception.)



Yes Meghan has held part time and full time jobs like Diana, Camilla, Kate, Sophie, etc.. did in their post school years prior to marrying. She will certainly have patronages, charities and royal duties, but if the Sussexes determine that having one parent spend more time with their children during their younger years, then that is their choice. The royal duties will always be there, the opportunity to spend time with them while their in their first five years will not.
  #391  
Old 07-08-2018, 03:33 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,911
It's indeed up to them and I assume they will consult with the family if that time comes but I see little reason why Meghan would not take on patronages etc because she might get pregnant at some point and in that case might want to slow down a little. Her attitude so far suggests the opposite.
  #392  
Old 07-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Has anyone considered the possibility that Meghan’s would want to get certain things started knowing she might need some time at home once they do have children? Her desire to make better changes in the world didn’t sound like something she’d like to get started years down the line. From what Bryony Gordon has said, she’s already been working on something before they even married.
  #393  
Old 07-08-2018, 03:57 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,112
Let's move on from the pregnancy speculation.
  #394  
Old 07-08-2018, 11:33 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
Meghan has said and shown that she plans to "hit the ground running" so many times I can hear it in my sleep. I choose to believe her. She knew she was 36 when she made the statement so I'll leave the family planning to her and Harry.
On consideration, hasn't she been doing just that? Hitting the ground running? Or is doing solo gigs the needed evidence that such is occurring? I think she already is in full swing, beginning with Christmas with the BRF at Sandringham, it's been a pretty impressive string of public events.

As for 'solo gigs' Meghan may actually do them in a different way than others, mainly because she is foreign. I don't see her meeting crowds, quite frankly. That's okay for Harry and Meghan as a couple, and for Harry when attending an event alone, but I think a couple of years need to pass before Meghan does that kind of thing. She may not even want to do those kind of 'crowd pleasers'. JMO.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #395  
Old 07-08-2018, 11:55 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,047
If she isn't going to 'meet people' then she should say so and retire from public life.

'Meeting people' is the essence of official royal duties for the most part and been at the focus of the vast majority of royal engagements since the walkabout was created.
  #396  
Old 07-09-2018, 12:09 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If she isn't going to 'meet people' then she should say so and retire from public life.
OTT response. I didn't suggest she wouldn't be 'meeting people'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
'Meeting people' is the essence of official royal duties for the most part and been at the focus of the vast majority of royal engagements since the walkabout was created.
Yes, and she has been doing so as a couple with Harry, and successfully by all, accounts. Within such events she even wanders afield to meet people without Harry by her side.

I am suggesting that Meghan may not be doing the same kind of public events solo that Harry or William do. In fact, I may be mistaken (and please correct me if I am) but I think when Kate does a solo engagement she actually maintains a very discreet in/out mode from a venue. I don't think she 'meets the people' either. I think Meghan will follow the same 'protocol' (if such is occurring).
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #397  
Old 07-09-2018, 12:48 AM
Royal Suitor's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: West Coast, United States
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
On consideration, hasn't she been doing just that? Hitting the ground running? Or is doing solo gigs the needed evidence that such is occurring? I think she already is in full swing, beginning with Christmas with the BRF at Sandringham, it's been a pretty impressive string of public events.

As for 'solo gigs' Meghan may actually do them in a different way than others, mainly because she is foreign. I don't see her meeting crowds, quite frankly. That's okay for Harry and Meghan as a couple, and for Harry when attending an event alone, but I think a couple of years need to pass before Meghan does that kind of thing. She may not even want to do those kind of 'crowd pleasers'. JMO.
Yes I agree she's already hitting the ground running. That's what I meant by said and shown. She's working in stages from touring the U.K. with Harry to representing HMQ at Commonwealth/CHOGM events and now foreign tours. Taking on her own patronages is just the next stage. I think continuing to meet the public is actually very important for Meghan. First she's great at it since it's closest to what she did in her pre-royal life. Second, the British public still need to get to know her so she feels like THEIR duchess. If solo walkabouts are not the best vehicle for a royal spouse to do that, they can figure out something else.
  #398  
Old 07-09-2018, 12:55 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
OTT response. I didn't suggest she wouldn't be 'meeting people'.
Your words 'I don't see her meeting crowds'.

How is that not suggesting she wouldn't be 'meeting people'?

She has hit the 'ground running' if 13 engagements on 6 days in over 2 months is 'hitting the ground running'.

Personally I would expect her, and Harry, to have done a lot more but she has married Harry who doesn't do very much himself anyway so I am not expecting much from her either - maybe around 100 a year.
  #399  
Old 07-09-2018, 01:00 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
I’m not sure why this is an issue. Meghan has not shown any indication of having trouble when meeting people or not wanting to. In fact, she has done exceptionally well on walkabouts as well as meeting people at events from all the accounts we’ve had. I don’t see it as a potential issue going forward.
  #400  
Old 07-09-2018, 01:06 AM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She has hit the 'ground running' if 13 engagements on 6 days in over 2 months is 'hitting the ground running'.

Personally I would expect her, and Harry, to have done a lot more but she has married Harry who doesn't do very much himself anyway so I am not expecting much from her either - maybe around 100 a year.
Given that she will only have 6 months of post-wedding time this year, if she hits 100 that pretty darn good for six months on the job as a first year.

Meghan has been extremely busy behind the scenes so I expect a busy fall for the both of them in the UK and abroad.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abdication america anastasia 2020 baby names biography bridal gown britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace canada china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing cpr daisy dna doge of venice dubai duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii elizabeth ii emperor family life fantasy movie fashion and style george vi hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hypothetical monarchs introduction jewellery jewelry king willem-alexander list of rulers mary: crown princess of denmark mountbatten names nepalese royal family plantinum jubilee pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien queen louise queen mathilde resusci anne royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royalty of taiwan royal wedding royal wedding gown russian court dress solomon j solomon stuart thailand united states united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×