Christening of Archie Mountbatten-Windsor: July 6th, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTchic

Aristocracy
City
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I am thoroughly not surprised to hear this news. It's what I had suspected. No photo ops. And if that's definitely the case, Archie may be christened at the chapel inside Windsor Castle. If he's christened at St. George's Chapel, security will have to be tight and cameras restricted.

I see your linked thumbnail report is by Roya Nikkah. Someone at one of the palaces must have leaked to Nikkah after some of M&H's christening plans trickled out to royal family members and staff. However, I don't think Nikkah is always accurate in her reporting.

Considering even the non royal grandkids have worn it and Archie title or not is the grandson of the future king, pretty safe bet he will wear it.

Indeed. But my hunch is that there would be some kind of a twist. Let's just wait and see

Maybe he'll be decked out in his new MLB shirt with his name on it so everyone will know its him!! :hiding:

Sorry, had to do it. Seriously though, I don't think they're going to mess with the tradition on this one or have anything different. It really is a very beautiful christening gown.

Maybe he'll be decked out in his new MLB shirt with his name on it so everyone will know its him!! :hiding:

Sorry, had to do it. Seriously though, I don't think they're going to mess with the tradition on this one or have anything different. It really is a very beautiful christening gown.

Haha this is just my wishful-thinking haha. But yeah that christening gown is a piece of Windsor history. It would be best if Master Archie will wear it too:D

All British Royal Family christenings happen in private. We only see family members enter and leave the church doors. And afterwards, family pictures are posted. We do not see the actual christening.

They do not do a televised christening like eg. the Sweden Royals.

Hopefully we will see some pics of them coming/going.

LaRae

I just read that the Christening will be private. Im guessing this means they will release photos later and ww wont get to see them arrive and leave the chapel. Im a tad bit disappointed if this is true. Id love to see the Sussexs' in action with Archie like weve seen with the Cambridges and their children for their Christenings.

I just read that the Christening will be private. Im guessing this means they will release photos later and ww wont get to see them arrive and leave the chapel. Im a tad bit disappointed if this is true. Id love to see the Sussexs' in action with Archie like weve seen with the Cambridges and their children for their Christenings.

We will see them arrive and leave more than likely, Cambridge children’s christenings have been private but we’ve seen arrivals and departures.

All christenings are private. As for the arrivals/departures? I do think there is a strong possibility we won't see those which is what people are getting riled up about.

The Cambridge kids are HRH and will be working royals eventually. That is not the case with Archie so to his parents feel there is no need for the same presentation, so to speak. The press might still see them but there likely will not be a fixed position for the media.

That is my take. Of course it is all speculation. We had endless debates on how they would introduce Archie and it ended up being just fine overall. The press got their pictures and the Sussexes were able to do it their way. Will probably be more of the same here.

Unlike many of their Continental counterparts BRF Christenings are always private, with no cameras in the church/chapel, only pictures of their arrival and departure and official photos afterwards.

I find it quite hilarious that the press are really sure Harry and Meghan will break with tradition and/or protocol with this but no one seems to be able to say how they'll definitely do it or why.

Unlike many of their Continental counterparts BRF Christenings are always private, with no cameras in the church/chapel, only pictures of their arrival and departure and official photos afterwards.

I find it quite hilarious that the press are really sure Harry and Meghan will break with tradition and/or protocol with this but no one seems to be able to say how they'll definitely do it or why.

Were British Royal christenings private in the Victorian age ? If not ( as I suspect) , when did they become private?

So true, British Royal Family christenings are always private.

?

Depends what you mean by 'private' (in Victorian times) I suppose. This is a painting of the 1842 christening at Windsor of the future Edward VII in 1842. Complete with family, courtiers, foreign royalty, masses of clergy etc.

https://www.rct.uk/collection/40585...nce-of-wales-later-edward-vii-1841-1910-at-st

They must have moved away from that, because now their christenings are always private; all we see are the arrivals and departures, and eventually some official photos.

I wonder who was the last Royal Baby who was christened like Edward VII in 1842.

Last edited:
It hasn't even been tradition to see arrivals & departures for royal christenings as many have taken place in BP or Windsor Castle with official photos afterwards.

I have a question. From watching previous events that have happened at St. George's Chapel, didn't the people and the photographers and reporters have to be on a list to get access to outside the chapel? If so, then its very possible that no one will be allowed "past the gates" for the christening and it will be a totally private christening with maybe some pictures released on their Instagram later on showing Archie in the Honiton christening gown.

Even here in my own family, when we had christenings, it was a small affair with just the close family and the godparents in attendance. One of my kids ended up being christened in a hospital chapel as I was in the hospital at the time. ?

I think you're right about access, Osipi. There would have to be a professional photographer on hand I suppose for the 'official' photos including the group ones.

This article goes through many of the Royal christenings since the future Edward VII's. The vast majority have taken place at St George's at Windsor or in the Private Chapel at BP which was destroyed during the war. Therefore they seem to have been private affairs.

British Royal Christenings: House of Windsor | Unofficial Royalty

I think arrival and departure pics are an easy ask. If the Sussexes go completely ‘private’ there will be tons of negative press.

I'm not really expecting anything but the release of one or two of the official photos, and perhaps a less formal, more personal photo on Twitter or Instagram, as we've seen recently. It's a private ceremony, I don't think they need to do anything else.

Whether they go completely private or not, there will still be negative press. I bet photos will just be released on their Insta account which is more personal. I wonder will it be like Lena Tindall's Christening?

I think arrival and departure pics are an easy ask. If the Sussexes go completely ‘private’ there will be tons of negative press.

They will get negative press regardless. So do what’s best for you. Not like they aren’t releasing pictures. Everyone will see Archie.

I think they are entitled to a completely private christening, with an announcement and some pictures released afterwards.

I would not be surprised if they will use the PA again for the entrance and departure.

No doubt that if there are no arrival/departure pictures there will be articles bemoaning the lack of that "ancient." I do think we'll see the official pics of him in the gown and with the family/godparents, possibly with more informal ones ala the Mother's Day/Father's Day ones.

I was just thinking with the press surrounding Ingrid Alexandra's confirmation that we rarely get to hear much if anything of any confirmations in the BRF in the younger generation anyway, yet presumably many if not most of them are confirmed and there's never been any outrage there.

The world is not going to end if there's no entrance and departure pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom