The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Just speculating here: if all godparents are private / anonymous persons, could we guess that neither the Duchess of Cambridge, nor one of the York Princesses or even Zara Phillips are among the potential godmothers ?
I doubt Kate was ever in the running. As for the others? They could be but since I am sure the majority are private citizens then even if one was more known it still would not matter unless they realized it themselves.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
The issue here isnít so much he is the grandson or great grandson of a monarch. Nor is it how itís done in Netherlands. Itís the wish of his godparents, who are private individuals, regarding their identity. If they wish not to be named in the press, they have that right. To me, thatís the end of the story.
That was the exact reasoning that was used to defend why Archie's godparents shouldn't be named. You are free to reason differently but that wasn't the point of my post.

And please see my other posts on why I don't think it were the godparents who all of a sudden all requested privacy. They won't go against H&M's wishes however (understandably) who again show that they just do it their own way and not care about royal traditions.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:23 PM
Majesty

It is quite ironic that we know who stood as Elizabeth I's godparents on September 10, 1533 (!), but the name of Archie's godparents will be sealed as a state secret according to what is being said here.
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I don't see how this contradicts the very real possibility that H&M didn't want to reveal the names and made sure their chosen godparents 'agreed'. As, otherwise it would be very surprising that while so far no private citizen who was a godparent of a (future) monarch's grandchild refused to be named and suddenly all of Archie's godparents truly want to remain private...
Perhaps it started with one or two of Meghan's school friends saying they wanted their names kept out of the papers. After more discussion all godparents agreed to this.
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I don't see how this contradicts the very real possibility that H&M didn't want to reveal the names and made sure their chosen godparents 'agreed'. As, otherwise it would be very surprising that while so far no private citizen who was a godparent of a (future) monarch's grandchild refused to be named and suddenly all of Archie's godparents truly want to remain private...
Just like I donít see how it proves that theory or contradicts an entirely opposite possibility. Nor does that change their wish to remain private. Other royal childrenís godparents have the right to make their decision, and Archieís have the right to make a different decision.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is quite ironic that we know who stood as Elizabeth I's godparents on September 10, 1533 (!), but the name of Archie's godparents will be sealed as a state secret according to what is being said here.
Elizabeth I is monarch, and, at the time of her birth, the King’s only legitimate child. Like I said earlier, I could understand the need to disclose if this was George. But in Archie’s position, it’s hard to make the argument it is necessary. And one day, I’m sure a historian can get his/her hands on the information if historically necessary. But today, it serves no purpose other than tabloid fodder.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
IF the god parents are really concerned about invasion of privacy they could decline the request to be god parents.
Why should they? That makes no sense.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Nobility

In the end, it doesn’t really matter if we know the names of the godparents. Especially if they are private citizens and not known personalities. They have a right to their privacy. As long as they are there for Archie as he grows, then that’s all that matters.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Serene Highness

Well anyway, all I care about is that we are getting formal pics of the little Archie with his family.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:43 PM
Courtier

I do not care if the godparents of the Non-titled great-grandchildren of the Monarchy are named.

I do not think that Lena, Mia, Savannah, or Isla's godparents were named. As far as I know, they're the only non-titled great-grandchildren of the Monarchy. I have not even seen photos of them released after their christening.

I just hope to see the photos afterwards.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer was asked about the media getting access to the public record of the godparents and he echoed what was stated here -- it isn't that easy to gain despite what some claim. So it appears unless you really want to trouble yourself then their ID will likely stay private.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
You saw as much of him in that presentation as you saw of any of the Cambridge kids on the steps of Lindo. Not exactly posed
I'll have to gently disagree on this: William and Catherine made sure to angle their babies so that most of their faces were visible - Harry and Meghan definitely did NOT. The closest we've gotten with Archie is him peeking out from behind Harry's hand in the the black-and-white shot for Father's Day.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
I'll have to gently disagree on this: William and Catherine made sure to angle their babies so that most of their faces were visible - Harry and Meghan definitely did NOT. The closest we've gotten with Archie is him peeking out from behind Harry's hand in the the black-and-white shot for Father's Day.
Harry tilted the baby towards the camera once they asked. The photo just didn’t get used a lot because the photo with Doria and his great grandparents.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:02 PM
Courtier

I find that a bit weird too. I understand that they want to protect Archie - although I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we saw him arriving at the chapel: it's not like he's going to know who the press are! - but why not even name the godparents? It's beginning to cause some bad feeling.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
As Archie is being baptized in the private chapel at Windsor Castle, will the register actually be available to the public? Do they use the one for St. George's Chapel...does anyone know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Richard Palmer was asked about the media getting access to the public record of the godparents and he echoed what was stated here -- it isn't that easy to gain despite what some claim. So it appears unless you really want to trouble yourself then their ID will likely stay private.
Like I said earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinking View Post
church registers maybe public records, but may i remind you that Windsor (St george and the Queen's private chapel where the baptism will take place) are Royal Peculiars: a Church of England parish or church exempt from the jurisdiction of the diocese and the province in which it lies and subject to the direct jurisdiction of the monarch.. So good luck with getting this information. The Sussexes are not this stupid
This means that everything that happens there is under the jurisdiction of the monarch. Accessing theirs records would require the monarch authorization
Old 07-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I find that a bit weird too. I understand that they want to protect Archie - although I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we saw him arriving at the chapel: it's not like he's going to know who the press are! - but why not even name the godparents? It's beginning to cause some bad feeling.

I agree.
The RF depends on the public goodwill.

So why would anyone go out of their way to antagonize them?
Old 07-03-2019, 07:08 PM
Courtier

There is certainly a difference between Zara and Peter's children and Harry's son. We don't know Zara and Peter's kids godparents, but they also didn't announce that the christenings were happening, either.

This "We're fully aware that we're in a role where we should tell you about the christening but we're going to keep some of it private" attitude is, frankly, offputting.

It's painfully pretentious and cringingly precious.

With that said, it's fully their right to be pretentious and precious, but it's not their right to be preserved from people finding it offputting.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It was clearly said in the announcement, the godparents don't want their names to be published. Imho they have that right...
Old 07-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Majesty

The doctors donít want their names known, godparents donít want their names known. Itís becoming a little too much I think.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Nobility

I’m very happy with the Sussexes decisions about what they want to publicize about their family. I’m quite content with what they decide to share on their Instagram account or with selected media. It’s basic human rights to protect themselves & their family.

Closed Thread