The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 03:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
That said the reaction to this is likely to be wholly negative [within the United Kingdom], and the couple really seem unable to realise they are needlessly antagonising and excluding the Public on whom they [ultimately] depend.
Very well put. Needlessly creating negativity where none is due.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Frankly, to me it is not an issue as to who Archie's godparents are. But to me, this is a pointless own goal. IMO, there is nothing to be achieved by withholding the information, but just more drama to be created, and more goodwill lost needlessly.
If you are angry that people want their privacy and it takes away your so called goodwill then likely it was never there in the first place.

Update from ITV’s Chris Ship

“Following much helpful commentary from the Sussex squad, I sought guidance on whether it was the godparents who wished to remain private, or Harry and Meghan who wished to keep their detail private. The answer was ‘both’. The godparents, I’m told are not public figures or celebrities, but private citizens. And therefore both they, and Harry and Meghan, don’t wish their names to be made public.“

Old 07-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The press werenít at the Wessex christenings either. So more or less the same. It was completely private and they released pictures. They did release the godparents names but again for Archieís this was at their request which was made clear.
I think I am right in saying that the Cambridges were the first couple to invite the press to record the arrival of the guests. Previous royal christening were totally private with photographs issued later. I do believe god parents were announced though. I am referring to the queens children and grand children here.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I can't make out if you're implying that Harry is too weak-minded or too ignorant to partake in decisions regarding his own son?
Interpret it as you wish.

People are saying we shouldn’t be comparing Archie to the Cambridge children and we don’t know who the Phillips or Tindall godparents are...Mia and Lena will never be grandchildren of a reigning Monarch, regardless of whether they and Archie are currently only great grandchildren of one. We know the godparents of all the Queen’s grandchildren because they are that - a reigning monarch’s grandchildren. Currently Archie is “only” a great grand child but he won’t alaays be just that. This obsession with privacy is bordering on weird frankly. Edward and Sophie strived for privacy for their children and they have achieved it but they still manage to provide details about their children’s lives. Whether Edward and Sophie liked it or not, their kids are grandchildren of a monarch and they realised that.

Archie will be even more well known than the Wessex children and Harry and Meghan need to get over themselves and realise this. Privacy can be achieved - all they have to do is look at Harry’s two youngest cousins to know it’s possible. They just also need to realise that they as the parents are not private people and belong to one of the most famous families in the world.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Nobility

I love the announcement that the Godparents will be kept private. They don't need to be compared to the Cambridges, Wessexes or anyone else. I'm glad that Harry and Meghan are able to make their own decisions and put the protection of their family and friends first. Official pictures will be sufficient.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I think I am right in saying that the Cambridges were the first couple to invite the press to record the arrival of the guests. Previous royal christening were totally private with photographs issued later. I do believe god parents were announced though. I am referring to the queens children and grand children here.
I don't know about anyone else, but I do believe you are right that's the model was done for at least Prince Edward who was then the son of monarch.

Like I said, I do understand the curiosity about godparents, but this is far less of an issue of Archie's privacy or not as opposed to his godparents'. Obviously, I'd say it's different for George. But as it stands, I do think privacy of godparents matters greater.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Serene Highness

As the codparents wish to not be named, then that's it. Their right to privacy should come first. I don't get why anyone would be upset about that.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If you are angry that people want their privacy and it takes away your so called goodwill then likely it was never there in the first place.
I am not angry at all, I am just amused at the consistent lack of maturity in dealing with these matters displayed by H&M.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
That said the reaction to this is likely to be wholly negative [within the United Kingdom], and the couple really seem unable to realise they are needlessly antagonising and excluding the Public on whom they [ultimately] depend.

Exactly. They do not seem to see that they are creating negativity that does not come in handy for royals in the long term.

Pulling the privacy card whenever it suits them will be annoying people to no end. It's not possible to take off royalty like a coat and put away to the next outing when you expect adoring fans.
They want to be royals, private people or celebs when it suits them best but they will not be the first to find out that it doesn't work that way.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Interpret it as you wish.

People are saying we shouldn’t be comparing Archie to the Cambridge children and we don’t know who the Phillips or Tindall godparents are...Mia and Lena will never be grandchildren of a reigning Monarch, regardless of whether they and Archie are currently only great grandchildren of one. We know the godparents of all the Queen’s grandchildren because they are that - a reigning monarch’s grandchildren. Currently Archie is “only” a great grand child but he won’t alaays be just that. This obsession with privacy is bordering on weird frankly. Edward and Sophie strived for privacy for their children and they have achieved it but they still manage to provide details about their children’s lives. Whether Edward and Sophie liked it or not, their kids are grandchildren of a monarch and they realised that.

Archie will be even more well known than the Wessex children and Harry and Meghan need to get over themselves and realise this. Privacy can be achieved - all they have to do is look at Harry’s two youngest cousins to know it’s possible. They just also need to realise that they as the parents are not private people and belong to one of the most famous families in the world.
We shouldn’t compare as people point out endlessly their roles are completely different. And yes he will be the grandson of a monarch but he will likely spend most of his life the nephew of the monarch. So I think allowing him privacy is not unwarranted.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I am not angry at all, I am just amused at the consistent lack of maturity in dealing with these matters displayed by H&M.

And respecting a person's right to privacy is immature? I feel like I'm in a different universe now.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
People are upset that private citizens want to remain as such. So Harry and Meghan should ignore their request so some people will know the names of people they don’t know? Why so they can look them up which is the point of them wanting to stay anonymous.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
As the codparents wish to not be named, then that's it. Their right to privacy should come first. I don't get why anyone would be upset about that.

I donít either.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Majesty

So these godparents wish to remain anonymous (and Chris Ship sought clarification on it) but somehow it's still Meghan and Harry's fault!
Old 07-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Pulling the privacy card whenever it suits them will be annoying people to no end.
The problem is that Harry and Meghan seem to want all the privileges of their position without the “constraints” of tradition and publicity...which even as a life-long Monarchist I find hard to defend.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The problem is that Harry and Meghan seem to want all the privileges of their position without the “constraints” of tradition and publicity...which even as a life-long Monarchist I find hard to defend.
There are certain constraints of tradition and publicity that I can understand. And certainly, there is a certain aspect, or portion, of their personal lives that are public. However, what does that mean for the private individuals around them? Should they be fair game? That's the issue here.

And btw, aside from Meghan and Harry, "constraints of tradition and publicity" within the BRF have changed over the years as well. So it's certainly not a new concept or unique to the Sussexes.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
It said the godparents want to be private.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
As in what? What have they denied the public? Did we not see Archie after his birth? Are we not getting images from his christening? Things shift. History proves that. That doesn't mean they are bucking so called tradition especially when some of these have only been in existence barely a generation.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Just because it isn't done the way you expected, doesn't mean they lack maturity. Harry and Meghan (and the people they selected as godparents) know what it's like living in their own shoes and know what's in the best interest of their family. I will say it again they don't have to do everything that the Cambridges do. Choices are allowed within the Royal Family.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
As in what? What have they denied the public? Did we not see Archie after his birth?

Actually I haven't seen a full picture of Archie yet and I could barely see his face when he was shown to Harry and Meghan's handpicked TV crew at Windsor.

Having said that, I personally don't care about seeing Archie. I am bothered, however, that a matter of historic record such as the names of his godparents is being withheld from the public.

Closed Thread