The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
If this is true, I don't believe a second that van Straubenzee insisted on remaining private and not named publicly as godparent, given his history with both William and Harry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I agree. Nor do I think Tiggy Pettifer would have requested to remain private if she is a godmother as speculated.
Some of the Godparents quite clearly didn't want their names published so even if others are already in the public sphere, some of them aren't & wish to remain so. I can quite understand anyone wanting to protect their privacy, given the certainty of having their life picked over & sensationalised in tabloids.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:10 PM
Courtier

Archie is a sweetheart!
Harry and Meghan look super proud and I love the released photos.

I think the Godparents will end up being revealed and perhaps they are controversial.
Could Meghan's nieces or nephews be the mysterious missing pieces?
Really, I don't understand. The secrecy is creating a stigma when being a Godparent is actually something special.
Why would anyone agree to being Archie's Godparent if they can't cope with being named? It goes with the territory.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ristening.html

Harry's wingman 'is Archie's godfather': Charlie van Straubenzee is named after christening - but secretive Prince and Meghan still refuse to reveal truth despite praising mystery godparents in social media post
Unless Charlie or BP or the Sussexes confirm this- it is nothing but speculation on the Daily Mail or wherever they copied their info from.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Archie is a sweetheart!

I think the Godparents will end up being revealed and perhaps they are controversial.
Really, I don't understand. The secrecy is creating a stigma when being a Godparent is actually something special.
Why would anyone agree to being Archie's Godparent if they can't cope with being named? It goes with the territory.
I was thinking the same. Perhaps her niece Ashley (Samantha's estranged daughter) who Meghan is close to. No one knows what Ashley looks like, and I happen to think that she was actually at the wedding but didn't want to be known because well...her mother is Samantha.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Archie is a sweetheart!

I agree. IMO Tiggy Pettifer as a Godmother might ruffle some of Diana's more devoted fans who were unhappy that the brothers maintained a relationship with her over the years.

I could understand one of Meghan's nieces or nephews wanting to remain anonymous because of their parent(s) behavior.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
It was clearly said in the announcement, the godparents don't want their names to be published. Imho they have that right...
The Church of England does generally require that godparents' names be recorded in the parish registers, which are publicly available. OK, unless the christening was of the child of a royal/celeb, no-one would bother looking, but technically it's breaking the rules not to name them!

It's also creating speculation where there wouldn't be any otherwise. Interest in who'd been named as the Cambridge children's godparents didn't really last beyond the next day's papers. If you keep something secret when it wouldn't normally be secret, people will wonder.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
The Church of England does generally require that godparents' names be recorded in the parish registers, which are publicly available. OK, unless the christening was of the child of a royal/celeb, no-one would bother looking, but technically it's breaking the rules not to name them!
The baptismal certificate *was* recorded in the CoE parish registry. It just so happens that the "parish" is a royal peculiar and the records are handled by the Royal Household and kept in the Royal Archives at Windsor Castle and under the jurisdiction of HM, The Queen. As I've stated before, anyone can request permission to access things in the Royal Archives but then again, the Queen has every right to refuse access.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone recognise Ms Ragland's Brooch ?

I'm wondering if it might have been loaned to her for the occasion by HMQ, or the PoW ?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

It's also creating speculation where there wouldn't be any otherwise. Interest in who'd been named as the Cambridge children's godparents didn't really last beyond the next day's papers. If you keep something secret when it wouldn't normally be secret, people will wonder.
The baptism record including godparents are kept by the parish. By the actual church you are baptized in. Archie was baptized at Windsor chapel so that is who keeps the record. Are they going to pick some random church in Windsor the baby has never been inside to house the records?? There is no subterfuge here, they are doing exactly as any other parent does.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I agree. Nor do I think Tiggy Pettifer would have requested to remain private if she is a godmother as speculated.
I suppose it's possible only some of the godparents wished to remain private and it was decided to keep all the names private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
So, if Archie is "not royal and a private citizen' as some posters claim here, why did he have all the trappings of a royal christening including being baptized by the Archbishop of Canterbury in a royal chapel using the silver gilt Lily Font, water from the River Jordan, and the ivory Honiton lace and satin gown used for all royal babies’ baptisms since the reign of Queen Victoria?

Princess Anne's children are private citizens not royals but her son Peter Phillips was baptized at Buckingham Palace by the Archbishop of Canterbury and her daughter Zara was baptized at Windsor Castle by the Dean of Windsor.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But then often the child who is baoptized often does not wear a tradtional chrstening gown but instead boys wear a little suit for example. But i would not compare christenings of normal people with christenings of royal/noble children.
I have seen Catholic baptisms where the child wears a white gown and all the men wear ties. It may be a religious requirement of etiquette.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
I have seen Catholic baptisms where the child wears a white gown and all the men wear ties. It may be a religious requirement of etiquette.
General idea you dress smartly. No need for the old tradition of Sunday best. But suit or slacks with sport coat for man and dress or even slacks for women are appropriate. Nothing out of place with how Harry was dressed at all.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Court Circular 6th July:
Kensington Palace

The Baptism of the Infant Son of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex took place at 11.00am this morning in the Private Chapel, Windsor Castle.

The Archbishop of Canterbury baptised the Baby who received the names Archie Harrison.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Believe it or not, today I read a so called "body language expert" named Judi James claimed the christenig group photograph would speak of a serious rift between the Cambridges and the Sussexes....
Old 07-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:

But that is what they tend to do, make an issue about something.. and then people discuss it and fuss over it.. whereas if they had just gone ahead and released the information no one would take more than a cursory interest.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
.. whereas if they had just gone ahead and released the information no one would take more than a cursory interest.
That is quite right. This was also the case with naming the hospital where Archie was born. Having gone down this route, I am afraid the couple have, needlessly and without gain to themselves, squandered valuable goodwill.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Believe it or not, today I read a so called "body language expert" named Judi James claimed the christenig group photograph would speak of a serious rift between the Cambridges and the Sussexes....
Judi James has made quite a name for herself as the media go to body language expert and has featured in numerous TV, radio, pod and magazine situations where she's evaluated the body language and behaviour of many people in the public eye. We can think what we like about the credibility her rulings, but by many she's seen as the real deal.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Judi James has made quite a name for herself as the media go to body language expert and has featured in numerous TV, radio, pod and magazine situations where she's evaluated the body language and behaviour of many people in the public eye. We can think what we like about the credibility her rulings, but by many she's seen as the real deal.

That prooves nothing. I mean let logic rule! Why would 2 brothers who went together a lot, who are in a pretty unique position nobody else really can understand how this must feel like, who have been the best of friends and supported each other suddenly drift apart as one of the two got married?!
Conflicts happen there and then in every family, that´s normal. Perhaps they had their little differences in the past. So what?

But a feud or a rift is another matter. And I still cannot see what would justify that!
No, it is the same as always with the media - good is boring. Getting along fine with each other? even more boring. No, there must be something! And if it isn´t we will write until there is!
Old 07-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
That prooves nothing. I mean let logic rule!
I never said it did. My point was that Judi James is a well-known media figure that's made a great career for herself on enough people believing in what she claims to see.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
And I said earlier in the thread, when her opinion came up before, I do not believe one photo can tell even an “expert” much. She wasn’t there. And if she’d said everything seemed great, the papers wouldn’t have printed that.

Closed Thread