Christening of Archie Mountbatten-Windsor: July 6th, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think, and I feel like I've said it lodes, they should have kept the Christening private, announcing on the morning or after it happened. Part of the problem seems to be, IMO, that they announced it in the same way as W&K did but then said there would be no cameras and no list of godparents. I honestly think, if Archie is a private citizen like say, Princess Anne's grandchildren or similar to the way the Wessex kids are then they need to treat announcement around him as such.
The media need to recognise they want privacy for him and accept that and likewise M&H maybe need to dial down using pics of him on insta etc. The problem now IMO is that they are trying to occupy a new middle ground - he is a private citizen but they happily post pics and make public announcements about him.

I get the media would probably loose their heads if they stop making public pics etc but after a while the fuss may die down.

I tend to agree with this. The confusion arises by making announcements and releasing photos but then claiming privacy, when the precedent has been that those things are part of a public royal life. It's confusing, so of course there is push back on it. If the end game is Archie being raised and treated as a private citizen, then a truly private ceremony announced after the fact would have drawn a less confusing boundary.

I tend to agree with this. The confusion arises by making announcements and releasing photos but then claiming privacy, when the precedent has been that those things are part of a public royal life. It's confusing, so of course there is push back on it. If the end game is Archie being raised and treated as a private citizen, then a truly private ceremony announced after the fact would have drawn a less confusing boundary.

Were Peter, Zara, and the Wessex children's christening announced ahead of time? They are still private individuals. And certainly, it's great that their godparents didn't mind being named, but if Archie's asked not to be, then that's their choice.

And I don't know how much the announcement mattered. The information was coming out anyways. And the press was already going back and forth with BP asking for a camera to be allowed in to capture the arrival and departure. So I wonder if it's possible to ever not make some sort of announcement with photos. Bottom line is, people seem to want them to follow one method or another, but they aren't in the same situations.

Last edited:

It really is not that complicated. The couple is acknowledging that there is public interest so they are compromising some by providing limited pictures. However, they aren't going to allow for intrusion into Archie's life or their private life because you give in this case the media an inch they will take a mile (hence we the public/media get pictures....but it's not enough some want more and there really isn't a need for more) and in Harry's experience the end result can be very tragic.

This thread has been cleaned up and all off-topic comments removed.

As everyone has said their piece on the topic of Archie's christening, this thread will remain closed permanently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom