The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Neither of them is a full-time royal. Peter and Zara as female-line grandchildren were never an option to become full-time royals (as they aren't royal). Based on royal history, Beatrice and Eugenie weren't expected to be full-time working royals either - as only royal dukes were expected to have an active role previously, not their younger brothers or sisters (which is why Richard, the current duke of Gloucester prepared for a different career; but because his elder brother died, he ended up as a royal duke and therefore a working member of the family). The queen, however, made an exception for princess Alexandra (but not for her younger brother prince Michael).

It's quite likely that the decision on whether Archie will be a royal highness or not will be taken before he is of an age to be involved in making that decision as that will become clear when he Charles ascends the throne (if he doesn't and the throne passes on straight to William, he won't become a royal highness in normal circumstances).

Based on the above, it could be argued, that -based on historic precedent- if he would become a royal highness (which goes against him not being given even his courtesy title right now - but you never know) he should have a formal role as the future (royal) duke of Sussex - but any younger siblings should not work for the firm. If he doesn't become a royal highness, he won't be a 'royal duke' (just a 'normal duke'), so no expectations regarding a formal role within the firm.
So, then a complete private citizen?

Old 07-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

All this discussion about what he could possibly do in adulthood is making my head spin. He’s only getting christened today and only two months old. They’ll sort all this out in the years to come.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
So, then a complete private citizen?
I'm trying to understand your point and question. You first stated that it was all up to Archie to decide to become a full-time working member of the family or not. Next you stated that the fact that Beatrice and Eugenie are princesses but not full-time working members of the family, just like Zara and Peter, proofs your point. However, I was arguing that it's not completely up to Archie to decide whether he will be a full-time working royal - nor is it up to him to decide on his title. I still stand by that statement.

Regarding your current question (that we weren't discussing previously imo), I'd say there is an in-between category. There are many members of the royal family who aren't full-time working members of the royal family but as members of the royal family they aren't 'completely private citizens' either. This is evident by for example their presence at various royal events such as garden parties and the charity work they undertake because of their membership of the royal family (not 'in name' of the queen - but they wouldn't do so if they were ordinary private citizens).

However, we should probably take this conversation elsewhere as it has little to do with today's christening.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
You seem to have no understanding of the life Harry and Maghan live. While it is true their doings make headlines and boohoo, this doesn't happen to you once you don't read the papers. And we heard that they don't. While making the christening public they would have to put up their public masks and play out their public personas and this way, they are just the private Harry and Meghan who let their son christen. As it should be, IMHO. The taxpayer does not pay for them, just for their being part of the Royal family (housing, protection). So why should they open up their life to the public more than they do? I can completely understand this!
i thinkt the one without an understanding of H&M's life is you. whether they read the papers or not is irrelevant. what is relevant is that they are part of the RF, they take engagements at the request of the queen and that they are subsidised through taxpayers money. they are public personas all the time, regardless of whether they want it or not, so there is no 'putting up a mask' - this is the deal they got into. if they really wanted private lives, harry could have stepped down from the succession when he married and meghan declined a title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinking View Post
Funny thing. Everytime i log on from my desktop the Sussexes subforum has always the highest number of viewers, and it has been like this for over 2 years now. If one looks at this as a sample, it is a clear testament of the interest they have been generating.
one can attract reason because of good reasons and because of bad reasons. i am afraid this is the 'bad reasons' case.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
All this discussion about what he could possibly do in adulthood is making my head spin. He’s only getting christened today and only two months old. They’ll sort all this out in the years to come.

To further make your head spin. He'll go to Eton, then Oxbridge, and post graduate studies at Harvard. How about that
Old 07-06-2019, 11:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
Awe...did Sofia of Sweden have to have an open gown also for Alexander?
yeah, I remember that; Prince Alexander of Sweden the gown was not be zipped at the back.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That's a normal part of royal discussions See for example the discussions about the future of princess Madeleine's children
Old 07-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinking View Post

To further make your head spin. He'll go to Eton, then Oxbridge, and post graduate studies at Harvard. How about that
Goodness, have we planned where he’ll be buried yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
That's a normal part of royal discussions See for example the discussions about the future of princess Madeleine's children
I understand there are general discussion, but when he’s christened? I doubt any other life decisions will be made today. I understand an off comment here and there, but it’s gone way beyond. The main point is still his christening.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well, I can’t wait to see pictures.

Btw, am I the only surprised there hasn’t been a fit issue with the gown yet with all the babies?

No you are not alone. I've wondered about that as well. I believe that Princess Eugenie was the oldest baby to wear the original gown at over six months and somehow it was managed. I would guess that the gown is somehow adjustable to accommodate infants of all sizes.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Just a thought and seeing as its little Archie's Christening perhaps we could all be a bit more reflective and leave out any negative comments just for today?
Old 07-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Just a thought and seeing as its little Archie's Christening perhaps we could all be a bit more reflective and leave out any negative comments just for today?
That would be a kind gesture.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Amen to that
Old 07-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I could get on board with that.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Count me in with my cat
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 07-06-2019, 12:12 PM
Courtier

Archie is 2months old today
Old 07-06-2019, 12:17 PM
Nobility

The pictures are here

Very happy to see Spencers included in the family picture!

Everyone looks lovely and Meghan is positively gloving. Archie is a little cutie, too.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

What lovely pictures! He so cute.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:19 PM
Courtier

Pictures are here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzlHhZylvwT/
Old 07-06-2019, 12:20 PM
Majesty

I really could have done without all the negativity on here today!

Yes, Archie is two months old and participating in his first ceremony. I wonder whether he'll cry when the Jordan water is splashed on him. I remember that William was hungry afterwards and wanted to be fed. Diana had to keep offering her little finger as an unsatisfactory substitute until after the photos were finished!
Old 07-06-2019, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Archie takes after Meghan more. Especially the eyes.

And yay christening!

Closed Thread