The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I only had two as did all of my cousins. My mother only had one and her mother had none. My grandmother was baptised in the UK just before her family migrated to Australia. Her siblings each had only one. I have cousins in the UK who also have only one or two and are CoE.
I guess it depends on the parish then. I asked my mom and she said my grandmother had 3 (required at the time) and my aunts and uncles also had a minimum of 3 required by their parish.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
More details have been released.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...eveal-keeping/

Archie Mountbatten-Windsor will be welcomed in a traditional royal manner, with a christening gown used for generations, water from the River Jordan and the choir of St George’s Chapel.

Members of the choir of St George’s Chapel, where the Duke and Duchess of Sussex got married and Prince Harry was christened, will sing at the ceremony.

Official photographs will taken by Chris Allerton, who also captured the Sussex’s evening wedding reception, in the Green Drawing Room.

I'm looking to Sunday cause we may get to see some released pictures by then.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The reasons for all the Cambridge children to being made HRH had to do with the change in the rules of male primogeniture. This has been covered extensively.
I agree that is a very likely possibility, but the court did not publicize the rationale for the letters patent granting HRH status to all of the Cambridge children.

Regarding the above discussion of Archie Mountbatten-Windsor's future title, an anonymous "senior royal source" was quoted by Robert Jobson of the London Evening Standard as saying that he will become a prince once his grandfather becomes King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I can't think of any other royal belonging to a reigning family where the public did not get to know the godparents, except Archduchess Anna-Astrid of Austria-Este (great-granddaughter of king Albert II of Belgium).
According to the Blog sur la famille royale belge, the godparents of Princess Anna Astrid (to use the styling given to her by the Belgian court) are Princess Maria Laura of Belgium and Prince Joachim of Belgium. I am not sure whether the blog made use of a source close to the couple or if baptism records in Belgium are made public.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
More details have been released.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...eveal-keeping/

Archie Mountbatten-Windsor will be welcomed in a traditional royal manner, with a christening gown used for generations, water from the River Jordan and the choir of St George’s Chapel.

Members of the choir of St George’s Chapel, where the Duke and Duchess of Sussex got married and Prince Harry was christened, will sing at the ceremony.

Official photographs will taken by Chris Allerton, who also captured the Sussex’s evening wedding reception, in the Green Drawing Room.
Can a gown that was created 11 years ago is really 'a christening gown used for generations'? It seems as if the writer isn't aware of the fact that the gown that will be used is the replica and not the original gown.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:52 PM
Courtier

I predict that Archie will have a traditional Christening and that we will see photographs of the occasion, including the Godparents.
There is no reason to keep the Godparents under wraps - except to create ill will.
I suspect that they will be announced after the event.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Can a gown that was created 11 years ago is really 'a christening gown used for generations'? It seems as if the writer isn't aware of the fact that the gown that will be used is the replica and not the original gown.
IMO that is nitpicking. It is not just another gown that someone bought when the original was worn out and everyone decided to use it. It is an exact replica, created by the Queen’s own dressmaker when the original became too fragile to wear.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:58 PM
Courtier

The twisted logic and thinking of this column is my laugh for the day.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Apparently the photographs will be released in the late afternoon tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

According to churchofenglandchristenings.org...

“...Parents may be godparents for their own children, provided they have at least one other godparent.”

This presents another interesting scenario.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-05-2019, 10:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeine View Post
As other posters have noted upthread, the same people who staunchly opposed the idea of Archie getting a royal title, on the grounds that he's only a great-grandchild of the monarch, are now complaining because he's not being treated as a grandchild of the monarch. You can't have it both ways, folks. You can't constantly accuse the Sussexes of not knowing their place and then lambast them for not christening their child in the same style as the children of the future king.

I think the question of Archie's status is a lot more complicated than people make it out to be. He's not quite comparable to Louise, Zara etc as they're the grandchildren of the monarch, but he's not in the same position as the Phillips girls either as he's the son of titled, working royals & will one day be the grandson of a king.

They're in completely uncharted territory and it must be a really tough balancing act, I think they've done a great job so far.
As tired as I am of the argument regarding Archie’s title, I agree with this.

And let’s not kid ourselves. Meghan and Harry are taking the excuse that they aren’t in the direct line and using it to their advantage. What’s fair is fair. Others use it to belittle them. Can’t complain when they use it to their advantage.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Apparently the photographs will be released in the late afternoon tomorrow.
Thanks! is there a link w/this info by chance?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

What time is the christening set to take place?
Old 07-06-2019, 01:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
A quick question for our CofE members: are godparents mandatory for a baptism?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
Yes. A minimum of 3.
Quote:
I only had two as did all of my cousins. My mother only had one and her mother had none. My grandmother was baptised in the UK just before her family migrated to Australia. Her siblings each had only one. I have cousins in the UK who also have only one or two and are CoE.
The Church of England says:
"You should have a minimum of three godparents and you can have as many additional godparents as you like."
"every child should have at least three, two of the same sex and at least one of the opposite sex to the child."
"three is the minimum, unless it’s simply not possible to find three."

https://churchofenglandchristenings.org/for-parents/
Old 07-06-2019, 01:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
IMO that is nitpicking. It is not just another gown that someone bought when the original was worn out and everyone decided to use it. It is an exact replica, created by the Queen’s own dressmaker when the original became too fragile to wear.
And technically even the replica has now been used for two generations. Its first wearer was Edward’s son, James, grandson of the Queen, and cousin to the parents of all subsequent babies to be christened in it. Also, at this point, assuming it’s been used for all of the great-grandkids, it’s already been worn eight times.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-secret.html

The Queen's former spokesperson Dickie Arbiter explaines how although Archie's godparents' identities might not be officially released on Saturday, they will be put in the royal records which is held at Windsor Castle and will be available to historians in the future.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
James, Louise. Zara and Peter aren’t HRHs either and will never be working royals. Nevertheless, we know who their godparents are.
Archie is as much a future grandchild of a sovereign as the above-referenced persons and he might even be a prince of the United Kingdom when Charles is king ( unless current rules are changed). The rationale for treating his christening differently is weak IMHO and is actually putting the RF in the uncomfortable position of being accused of flouting the law to use Richard Palmer’s words. It is a very ill-advised decision if you ask me.
Flouting what law by doing what?
And what would be my benefit knowing the names of people I might never had heard of before? I mean, they won´t invite european aristocrats or even Royals to be Archie´s godparents!
Old 07-06-2019, 02:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Needless drama and negative press which could have been avoided.
Spot on.

Is it bad decision-making by H&M, or is it the incompetence and inexperience of the office they run at BP or a combination of both that leads to this kind of mistake?

To me, in context, it is not a big deal, but it all seems so avoidable. It is not the first blunder, and I suspect it will not be the last, but one hopes they learn. It almost seems that Harry is new to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I understand that Harry and Meghan want to honor the request from their friends and keep their names private, but this has unfortunately created more of a frenzy and made people more interested in finding out the names. I imagine sooner or later we'll know them.
Actually, yes and no. It is entirely possible that some of the godparents may have wanted their names withheld, but I almost think it was for H&M to point out that, unfortunately, as godparents to a royal child, that was inappropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
And all of this, and the labor announcement has really turned my opinion and interest in them
And you are not the only one!
Old 07-06-2019, 03:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

At Harry´s own christening, arriving and leaving guests, though being son of the Pr o Wales, taking place at the same place, has not been televised live as far as I can recall! Only some features from the reception had been released later. Of course, godparent´s names were known, though.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Have we had an official announcement about the ...

...”keeping the godparents’ names secret”, or has it just been tossed around in the tabs?

Looking back at George’s christening, I see that the godparents were announced only about three or four hours prior.

So perhaps word will come in the next few hours.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-06-2019, 04:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Inside Windsor Castle’s Private Royal Chapel-
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hristened.html

A.W. TOZER
Closed Thread