The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 02:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
William and Harry are working royals. Eugenie and Beatrice are not. So not sure that comparison holds much weight. Now if they were working then I could buy that argument. And frankly Harry should be compared to the likes of Charles's siblings while William to Charles. They both should be working way more than they are but that is a topic for a different thread.
And they are working royals why? Because they're expected to be working royals as the sons of the future monarch. That's my argument. That when you're close family to a future king, there will be different expectations of you. I'm not trying to start an argument about working royals. You and @Fijiro were arguing that Archie's situation should be compared to that of Peter and Zara's children because he isn't the grandson of the monarch right now and I'm saying that that just isn't how the monarchy works. Hence my example with Beatrice and Eugenie.

And yes, by all means, let's compare Harry to Charles' siblings. Because with those comparisons, Archie should, as I'm arguing, be compared to Peter and Zara rather than Savannah and Mia. I don't disagree that people are making mountains out of molehills (I mean, the world doesn't stop turning just because we don't know who his godparents are), but justifying Harry and Meghan's decision by arguing that we also don't know Savannah and Mia's godparents just doesn't work.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I've not accused them of 'seeking it', but I do think even the most naive might have worked out the likely result of this course of action ?

Heaven knows, the Duke has enough experience of the antics of the British Press..

Old 07-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Courtier

I know I am going to get it in the neck for this one, but did they make the best choice to arrive at Wimbledon with Meghan yesterday , knowing it would cause interest and speculation. I know in theory they should be able to, but for it to be announced the god parents were friends, private people who did not wish to be named, then two people turn up with Meghan who are known to be her old friends, one of whom appears to have flown in from America.
Another thing about the press talking about people, I know more about Meghans friend from these forums, than from the newspapers, you have all provided details about their husbands, careers, children , even their religion. Information you obviously all looked up somewhere,
Just putting it out there for discussion.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I've not accused them of 'seeking it', but I do think even the most naive might have worked out the likely result of this course of action ?

Heaven knows, the Duke has enough experience of the antics of the British Press..
I only pointed that out because seeking attention is what my comment was a response to. And in terms of what attention would likely result, it seem EVERYTHING they do these days, whether in keeping with what's previously done or not, it always generates OTT reaction either way.

And I think your second paragraph might just be the problem.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness

Godparents gate rages on. Unless there is evidence the chosen godparents are threats to the UK's national security or a danger to Archie it's not required for the public to know. Meghan's friends at Wimbledon are being scrutined and throwing everyone a bone is not going to be enough. I'm being facetious because this is becoming ridiculous.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

I’m frankly getting very tired of the unnecessary drama. It’s just a baby’s christening. Not a Coronation.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does anyone remember why...

Dianaís sister didnít want to marry Charles?
Or why neither Chelsy nor Cressida wished to marry Harry?

Is it surprising that would-be godparents should wish to be shielded from the sheer nastiness of some of the British press and some of their readers?

Or from the obsessive research and information-seeking by some readers of some online forums and message boards, and the concomitant and endless discussion of the godparentsí lives? (Not this Forum, of course!)

The godparents have no official or legal responsibilities related to the honor of being named. And they have every reason to fear being subjected to treatment none of us would tolerate in our own lives.

IMO

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-05-2019, 03:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

PS: It’s the Clooneys.
(JK)

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-05-2019, 03:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I know I am going to get it in the neck for this one, but did they make the best choice to arrive at Wimbledon with Meghan yesterday , knowing it would cause interest and speculation. I know in theory they should be able to, but for it to be announced the god parents were friends, private people who did not wish to be named, then two people turn up with Meghan who are known to be her old friends, one of whom appears to have flown in from America.

Another thing about the press talking about people, I know more about Meghans friend from these forums, than from the newspapers, you have all provided details about their husbands, careers, children , even their religion. Information you obviously all looked up somewhere,

Just putting it out there for discussion.

Totally agree. I thought the decision was odd not to name them but hey ho. Then the Wimbledon display and I thought no this is a bit naughty.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
But that was my point, the Wessexes also release photos of their childrenís ,who are private citizens, christening. As did Princess Anne. So I guess you want these people to renounce their titles? Itís well within the precedent. And certainly, they understand the interest people have in them and try to keep the balance between their childís privacy and the public interest in their lives.
I'd be fine if they followed that precedent. Releasing pictures as well as the names of the godparents (and preferably a picture with the godparents).

I would prefer all royals to just hold their christenings in normal church services as do most other parents (I don't know anyone who didn't) bjt it seems that's not happening in any royal family. They seem to prefer the special treatment - and many royal watchers are probably happy for it as in some families that means the service is broadcast.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
But Harry and Meghan are not denying people seeing them. They are the titled working royals. We see them doing their duty. What has riled people up is their feeling of being denied Archie, who is an untitled private citizen far down the royal totem pole. They are doing things similarly to the Wessexes and Anne's children. What the media seems to want is them to do things like the Cambridges despite the fact they are not the heirs and shouldn't have to.

We are going to see images of Archie. It is not like they are hiding him.
They are not doing things similar to the Wessexes. If so, Archie would be known as Earl of Dumbarton and the names of his godparents would be released. On the other end of the spectrum, they woukdn't have released a picture of Archie with the queen, duke and his non-royal grandmother.

If they prefer to keep Archie sheltered from the press, like the Wessexes did quite succesfully, that's totally fine with me. So far, they seem to be using him as a teaser. They are just too happy not to share him somewhat with the public.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I'd be fine if they followed that precedent. Releasing pictures as well as the names of the godparents (and preferably a picture with the godparents).

I would prefer all royals to just hold their christenings in normal church services as do most other parents (I don't know anyone who didn't) bjt it seems that's not happening in any royal family. They seem to prefer the special treatment - and many royal watchers are probably happy for it as in some families that means the service is broadcast.
The Cambridges did not release pictures with the godparents, so I don't expect any this time around.

A.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Iím frankly getting very tired of the unnecessary drama. Itís just a babyís christening. Not a Coronation.
Of an untitled child that is 7th in the line of succession at that.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:45 PM
Commoner

Only 15% of UK adults identify as Anglican, so I highly doubt the greater public population cares about Archie's christening, much less who his godparents will be.

This is very much manufactured outrage.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

26 pages and he hasnít even been christened yet. I feel sorry for the moderators.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Yes a Christening is meant to be a happy occasion
Old 07-05-2019, 05:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Yes a Christening is meant to be a happy occasion
I am looking forward to the happy occasion tomorrow and to see the official images released.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
The Cambridges did not release pictures with the godparents, so I don't expect any this time around.

A.
I had forgotten that, we saw them walking to the church, having said that I wouldn't have been able to pick them out in a line up other than Zara. I cannot even remember who they all are. It is funny how your mind plays tricks on you I was sure they had issued photographs but it was only the family group.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Nobility

I'd bet my car the Sussexes are not bothered one bit. They said their piece, set their boundaries, and are moving on happily with the christening of their son with friends and family.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

What an odd decision. I can't think of any other royal belonging to a reigning family where the public did not get to know the godparents, except Archduchess Anna-Astrid of Austria-Este (great-granddaughter of king Albert II of Belgium).

If the decision was made due to privacy concerns I would not be surprised if they achieved the opposite of what they wanted to achieve. Considering the public interest in the couple I am sure journalists will try their very best to find out whomever the godparents are. If anything the secrecy will have drawn more attention to it, not less.

For a reigning royal family certain things are to be shared with the public. They are not private individuals, they are members of the royal family and with the many perks come certain sacrifices.

Needless drama and negative press which could have been avoided.