Birth of Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor: June 4, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

I wish that the Royal Family would just take their gloves off and the queen ask Parliament to remove their titles and remove Harry from the line of succession.

As it has been discussed before on this forum, that doesn't depend solely on the UK Parliament. The other Commonwealth realms have to consent to any act of the UK Parliament that changes the line of succession and, when the succession law is also part of their own domestic law (as it is the case for example in Australia and New Zealand), they have to change their domestic law too before giving their consent.

The last act of the UK Parliament changing the line of succession, namely the Succession to the Crown Act 2013, took two years to be ratified (or consented to) in all 15 Commonwealth realms besides the UK.

Here you are:

The Times view on Harry and Meghan’s baby name: Tone-Deaf

The Sussexes have taken a very personal nickname and added it to their brand

https://archive.ph/uK8AF

Thank you for the posting Heavs. Very good editorial. It would seem, at best, that the Sussex's are "tone deaf." Harry has a very skewed view of love and honor. The Sussex's HAD TO KNOW that this would cause massive publicity and uproar. How is controversy like this good for the Queen he supposedly loves and respects so much?

Furthermore, has he even considered the trail of bad will he has blazed over his daughter's name... all of which is in the public domain for her to read one day? If he really wanted to show love and protection toward his daughter a less noticeable name rather than lawsuits would have been the way to do it.

Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex on the birth of their baby girl. Best wishes to the Sussexes and their children.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all of it is over the top but we are where we are now. So we shall see how it unfolds. I think it is safe things just got worse in the dynamics between the Sussexes and the palace. So whatever potential softening that could have happened with Lili's arrival is dead in the water.

[…]I feel bad for Archie and Lili because they're the ones who will pay the price for what H & M are doing and be cut off from the rest of the family through no fault of their own.

I feel bad for Archie and Lili because they're the ones who will pay the price for what H & M are doing and be cut off from the rest of the family through no fault of their own.

[…]They left volunteeringly and my guess Meghan nor the kids will set foot in the UK anytime soon. I almost wonder if Harry will even attend the statue unveiling now. Maybe all for the best actually. This might have been exactly what was needed to finally cut the cord on all sides.

A number of posts have been deleted. Let’s steer clear of claiming that the Queen/members of the royal family don’t care about Archie and Lili.

Let’s also not speculate about how William will react to the Sussexes when he becomes King.

Last edited:
Thank you for the posting Heavs. Very good editorial. It would seem, at best, that the Sussex's are "tone deaf." Harry has a very skewed view of love and honor. The Sussex's HAD TO KNOW that this would cause massive publicity and uproar. How is controversy like this good for the Queen he supposedly loves and respects so much?

Furthermore, has he even considered the trail of bad will he has blazed over his daughter's name... all of which is in the public domain for her to read one day? If he really wanted to show love and protection toward his daughter a less noticeable name rather than lawsuits would have been the way to do it.

The more I read, the more all of this is starting to look like a chess game being played through the looking glass. With every mention of HM, The Queen, it seems like she's being reduced from being a queen to a pawn and basically used as "name dropping". You get the idea. They spout about their home, their foundation, their children oh and don't forget, ever, they know the Queen and she's standing by for their zoom calls with bated breath to hear from the golden couple.

As far as the Sussexes being ready, willing and able to slap legal warnings on whomever publishes something where H&M don't like their "tone", suppose they go too far one of these days and as a result, *all* media just simply refuses to even mention them anymore for fear of being sued. They'd have a heck of a problem getting any kind of a message out. If these two think that in any way, shape or form that they have the chutzpah to control the media and what it prints anywhere, I know of someone that's trying to set up their own social media network that may allow them on it. :whistling:

The more that comes from this couple, the more I get the feeling that they're heading for a big crash and burn somehow. To me it seems like they're riding high on being legends in their own minds. That's what ego does.

It's time to come back through the looking glass again and join the real world, Harry and Meghan. You've kids to raise now and that's a responsibility for adults.

The more I read, the more all of this is starting to look like a chess game being played through the looking glass. With every mention of HM, The Queen, it seems like she's being reduced from being a queen to a pawn and basically used as "name dropping". You get the idea. They spout about their home, their foundation, their children oh and don't forget, ever, they know the Queen and she's standing by for their zoom calls with bated breath to hear from the golden couple.

As far as the Sussexes being ready, willing and able to slap legal warnings on whomever publishes something where H&M don't like their "tone", suppose they go too far one of these days and as a result, *all* media just simply refuses to even mention them anymore for fear of being sued. They'd have a heck of a problem getting any kind of a message out. If these two think that in any way, shape or form that they have the chutzpah to control the media and what it prints anywhere, I know of someone that's trying to set up their own social media network that may allow them on it. :whistling:

The more that comes from this couple, the more I get the feeling that they're heading for a big crash and burn somehow. To me it seems like they're riding high on being legends in their own minds. That's what ego does.

It's time to come back through the looking glass again and join the real world, Harry and Meghan. You've kids to raise now and that's a responsibility for adults.
Amen, Osipi!:flowers:

Harry threatening the press is courting too much negative attention. It is over shadowing the birth of his daughter and the birthdate of the D of E.
Why can't Harry just issue a straightforward comment (about getting his blessing to use Lilibet) along with the first picture of Lili?

No one needs to ask permission to use a name. In this case the name is not one in regular circulation and, as it pertains to a private nick name of the Monarch, one assumes Harry asked the Queen's permission. People are interested in hearing such - because they respect Queen Elizabeth and have lost trust in Harry's motives.
Instead of expecting public scrutiny, irate Harry is creating a fuss.
Winning a court case means nothing if one loses credibility in the eyes of the public.

Incidentally, the Queen Mother's childhood nickname was Buffy, long before anyone was into vampire slayers. I'm not sure why, but I suppose that a little kid might say Elizabuff, and that could easily become Buffy. At least they didn't use that!
I read somewhere that it was the QM's younger brother David - he called her "Lizabuff" as a toddler and continued to call her Buffy for the rest of his life.

That is cute story about Buffy.

I hope Harry brings Meghan, Archie and the new Lilibet to the opening of his mother's statue.
They could stay for the Summer.
There is good reason in opening the memorial with both Diana's children and all five grandchildren. Lili will be old enough to travel soon and the opening could be postponed to include her.

That's very sweet, and it's the sort of thing that often happens in families. However, can you imagine if Princess Anne had announced that she'd be calling her daughter "Buffy" in honour of her great-grandmother?! People just don't do things like that ...

Statement from Prince Edward; it’s all very sad!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9671301/Prince-Edward-admits-sadness-Harry-Meghan-rift.html

It's difficult for everyone but that's families for you': Prince Edward admits sadness over Harry and Meghan rift but says 'staying out of it is the safest place to be' as he wishes couple 'happiness' over birth of Lilibet
-----
Relative of Meghan Markle says she 'won't ever talk to her family again' because she acts like she is 'in a different social class' and like she 'is above them and where she came from'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...les-relative-says-wont-talk-family-again.html

RICHARD KAY: Only Harry and Meghan could call in lawyers over a baby's name
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...KAY-Harry-Meghan-call-lawyers-babys-name.html

Harry wages war with BBC: Furious prince threatens legal action over claim he did not consult Queen before naming his daughter Lilibet - as extraordinary briefing row breaks out between Sussexes, Palace and broadcaster

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ueen-naming-daughter-Lilibet-source-says.html

I hope Harry brings Meghan, Archie and the new Lilibet to the opening of his mother's statue.
There is good reason in opening the memorial with both Diana's children and all five grandchildren. Lili will be old enough to travel soon and the opening could be postponed to include her.
Do you really think this is going ot happen? Harry is far from popular in the uK and he has upset his own family so much that its unlikely he will feel very comfortable with them. I dont know if he is likely to come for the unveiling of Diana's statue as things are at present... but if he does, I'd say he'll come alone...

Last edited:
I think the chances are very good that Harry will pull out of a visit to the UK for the statue unveiling with the reason being he needs to be home with his family. Due to these circumstances, they may decide to either attend the unveiling of the statue by remote video or even cancel it to another date. As it will be the 60th anniversary of Diana's birth on July 1st, that date though is something that may deem the unveiling go ahead with or without Harry.

From everything that has gone down recently, I know I would feel awfully uncomfortable in Harry's shoes if I were him and was to fly to the UK to be with family. I don't think they're going to welcome him with open arms and a ticker tape parade.

I
From everything that has gone down recently, I know I would feel awfully uncomfortable in Harry's shoes if I were him and was to fly to the UK to be with family. I don't think they're going to welcome him with open arms and a ticker tape parade.

True but the statue has been in production for a Long long time and it would be nice to have it done soon - and Di's birthday seemed a good date. But Harry clearly thinks that this stuff about the baby's name is more important. If it was difficult to come home for Philip's funeral, I think that its even worse now as I'm sure that William is not happy...and while he will be polite, I dont think he will be friendly. Possibly he will make not wanting to leave the baby for long his excuse and join in on video?

The articles seems to be shifting from "he said-they said" to "the Palace's silence speaks louder than words" and more than one taking the position that it's not really about the baby's name but about the Sussexes using HM for their own narrative when it suits them but at best portraying her as a fuzzy doting grandma who just so happens to be CEO of the evil firm and worst someone who is not all there and being conned by her advisors who do things without telling her. Which is certainly not the case and everyone is fed up with that.

Those Prince Edward articles are really good, not just about his "I'm keeping out of it" quotes but about how the family were looking forward to his centenary more than Philip was and how they're going to celebrate anyway and use it to further his legacy. And of course he reiterates that they're all still family.

"There were subsequent stories in the press quoting 'friends' of the couple who strongly suggested that Harry had sought permission from his grandmother."

"Friends."

Most UK media stopped referring to Scobie as anything other than "Meghan's friend" after the interview, it is amusing.

I find it hard to believe that the "palace" is putting out this story withtout approval from the queen.. She may not want a big fight but I think she's not pleased, and wants it known in a discreet way.
And I'm sure, she IS upset and annoyed and bewildered at the way that Harry's been acting the last couple of years, and wants it to stop.. but I dont think he will stop without a big explosion. he needs the money and he clearly is so mixed up that he can't seem to see the divide between the things he has said about the whole family and the way he's portraying himself as so close to the queen.

This whole thread (just like all the other Sussex threads) just shows that this a very complex situation. Besides that they don't show much at all.

There are clearly people on both sides of the fence that have been hurt and upset. The press is not making the situation better. The palace doesn't comment. And in this messy situation, why are any of these people involved - on both sides - expected to make rational and clear decisions?

I don't think this is a question of good or bad. We don't know everyting that's going on behind the scenes, and that's the way it should be. Let them all try to find some peace.

This whole thread (just like all the other Sussex threads) just shows that this a very complex situation. Besides that they don't show much at all.

There are clearly people on both sides of the fence that have been hurt and upset. The press is not making the situation better. The palace doesn't comment. And in this messy situation, why are any of these people involved - on both sides - expected to make rational and clear decisions?

I don't think this is a question of good or bad. We don't know everyting that's going on behind the scenes, and that's the way it should be. Let them all try to find some peace.

Nobody is stopping them -. But Harry doesn't stop "lasthing out" at his family. and human nature being what it is, even if the queen tries not to get invovled in conflict, she's human and is bound to be hurt and angry. So there will be repercussions.

Nobody is stopping them -. But Harry doesn't stop "lasthing out" at his family. and human nature being what it is, even if the queen tries not to get invovled in conflict, she's human and is bound to be hurt and angry. So there will be repercussions.

I think there has been bad moves on both sides. They are all hurt, and they are all human even though they also have titles. We don't make our best decisions in times of emotional turmoil, royal or not.

edited to add: And yes, the birth of a child is itself a big and emotional thing. The birth ot little Lili and adjusting to that also is something to consider. Cut them all some slack.

I think the Queen and the BRF are acting rationally and incredibly patiently with Harry, I suspect because they are worried about his mental health. However, at the end of the day, it is the duty of HM, Charles and William to protect the monarchy, and the Crown will always win. I have never understood, no matter how aggrieved Harry might be (and that, in itself, IMO, is questionable), how airing his grievances in public will help him. And if being critical of the monarchy is the only way he can earn a living, he really has problems.

Doubt Meghan and kids will step foot in the UK anytime soon, if ever. And at this point Harry might not come either. I don’t see anything being postponed. William, Kate and their kids will go and everyone will get what they want.

Last edited:
Doubt Meghan and kids will step foot in the UK anytime soon, if ever. And at this point Harry might not come either. I don’t see anything being postponed. William, Kate and their kids will go and everyone will get what they want.

Lets see. In what appears to be his current frame of mind, Harry, IMO, is probably unwilling to not be present and part of the unveiling of Diana's statue.

There are travel restrictions in place. Both the British and American governments strongly advise against non-essential transatlantic travel due to the pandemic, and quarantine measures are in force. Travelling to attend a grandparent's funeral is acceptable in everyone's eyes. Travelling to unveil a statue probably isn't.

Im sure that William does not want to have his brother not ever come ot the UK agian.. or only for funerals. I'm sure he would rather open the statue with his brother by his side.. why would anyone WANT an estrangement? But Harry has upset and annoyed a lot of people so hte odds are that he may not want to go, right now. But is it really what Harry wants, either? Surely he would rather go and see his mohters statue unveiled?

Last edited:
Enough with the hints and innuendo by the "Senior Palace Sources" and the Royal Reporters, and what "they are being led to believe" and "carefully worded suggestions". This is exactly what Harry has had enough of and why he threatening to sue.

Let the BBC and the reporters name their sources where they are getting what "they are led to believe".

And let the Palace come out with their own statement instead of "subtley or not so subtley fighting back".

Put it out their like Harry did...
Agreed...it's things like these that are highly annoying concerning the press and this couple. They released a statement announcing the birth various members of the RF chime in celebrating Lili's arrival. However that isn't good enough for certain members of the press- they want to continue to vilify the couple. I know it is good for the press' business but sheesh..give the couple a break at least once over the joyous occasion of their new baby.

Agreed...it's things like these that are highly annoying concerning the press and this couple. They released a statement announcing the birth various members of the RF chime in celebrating Lili's arrival. However that isn't good enough for certain members of the press- they want to continue to vilify the couple. I know it is good for the press' business but sheesh..give the couple a break at least once over the joyous occasion of their new baby.

Good morning. I am new, and I have posted this in one other place- but I lost my infant son last year (he was born three months too early due to eclampsia and lived for a week). I mention this not for sympathy, but because I feel I have enough experience in the matter to comment. With all due respect, I feel that it is H&M who need to drop this petty crap. Let the media say what they will say. H&M are the ones dragging this out when they already have so much to be thankful for and no reason to pick every single battle to fight. Stop threatening more lawsuits, stop whining about what they don't have, be grateful for what they do (their ingratitude for their incredible wealth and privilege and healthy children just astounds), and just go home to their mansion and enjoy their new baby and ignore the rest of the world.

I wish every. single. day that I could go home to mine.

Last edited:
Good morning. I am new, and I have posted this in one other place- but I lost my infant son last year (he was born three months too early due to eclampsia and lived for a week). I mention this not for sympathy, but because I feel I have enough experience in the matter to comment. With all due respect, I feel that it is H&M who need to drop this petty crap. Let the media say what they will say. H&M are the ones dragging this out when they already have so much to be thankful for and no reason to pick every single battle to fight. Stop threatening more lawsuits, stop whining about what they don't have, be grateful for what they do (their ingratitude for their incredible wealth and privilege and healthy children just astounds), and just go home to their mansion and enjoy their new baby and ignore the rest of the world.

Thank you, Olive, for sharing something so personal that it made me sit back and think how much it highlights the stark difference to the superficial and attention seeking things the Sussexes have been doing. Their words really stands out as being petty and unnecessary when weighed against what you have gone through and perhaps what so many people have gone through and dealt with.

My deepest condolences on the loss of your son and welcome to our little corner of the world. ?

That is so very sad, Im sorry for your loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom