Birth of Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor: June 4, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't two people get fired for being racist as hell about her? I am talking overall. She has been alive for 5 days and the only peace she has had was the two days we didn't know she existed.

It really is a shame that people are this riled up over an infant's name. It does not make sense to me and frankly I don't blame anyone for being confused. Watching the conversations on TV and I am like "Is this really happening?"

I'm completely dumbfounded by it as well. What a shame that people and the media alike feel a need to use a 5-day-old's name as an outlet to further their own agenda.

Harry and Meghan are getting pretty darned good at playing the PR game. Sometimes it makes me wonder if the name "Lilibet" was chosen because they *knew* it would create controversy. Perhaps the chances are slim to none that this actually happened as I don't think any human being would use their child this way but just the fact that it *could* be a possibility indicates how much they do need any kind of PR to remain relevant in today's world.

Honestly, I've thought this, too. While I really hate the idea that they chose this name solely or in part to provoke a reaction and keep themselves in the headlines for better or worse, the possibility odes have to be recognized. In light of all of the problematic incidences of the past few years I think people could certainly be forgiven for wondering. I mean, maybe they did or maybe they didn't choose Lilibet as a bit of a PR stunt but there's just absolutely no possible way that they didn't know what they'd be stepping into with their choice of name and their choice of announcement method. They had to have known. It's really beyond belief that they thought everyone would look at this and blandly say "that's nice, good choice" and roll on...

I'm completely dumbfounded by it as well. What a shame that people and the media alike feel a need to use a 5-day-old's name as an outlet to further their own agenda.

What did they expect? Harry and Meghan and their supporters are living in this fairy world that they're allowed to do anything, say anything and everyone will have to agree with them.

They've been giving interview after interview saying the famiy are cold, cruel and racist. Harry accused her grandmother of being a bad parent just a month ago. Of course people are going to question them.

What did they expect? Harry and Meghan and their supporters are living in this fairy world that they're allowed to do anything, say anything and everyone will have to agree with them.

They've been giving interview after interview saying the famiy are cold, cruel and racist. Harry accused her grandmother of being a bad parent just a month ago. Of course people are going to question them.

Even had they used the name Elizabeth, i think that there would have been many people questioning why they did so, when they had been so critical of the entire family. But to use this pet name, to keep up the insistence that they are family and close ot the queen, has really looked odd and bad. I thought that they could not possibly use a royal name, after the various things that they've said the past 3 months. If they had had another son, would they have called him Charles? If they had, would they not have had people wondering "harry said that Charles was heartless and selfish and a bad father and would not take his calls. Why would they use his name?"

One thing does stand out for me with the Sussexes taking on the BBC and threatening "legal action" is that it does accomplish something.

It's like dangling a carrot before a horse, Whenever someone writes and prints something in regards to the Sussexes, they're guaranteed to get a reaction and those reactions generate more stories and interest by the public and the end result then is.... (drum roll please).... more green dollars in the pocket.

Harry and Meghan are getting pretty darned good at playing the PR game. Sometimes it makes me wonder if the name "Lilibet" was chosen because they *knew* it would create controversy. Perhaps the chances are slim to none that this actually happened as I don't think any human being would use their child this way but just the fact that it *could* be a possibility indicates how much they do need any kind of PR to remain relevant in today's world.

Of course they knew naming the baby Lillibet would invite comment and strong opinions from the public and press. They can name their child whatever they want, for whatever reasons they choose, but giving her this particular name guaranteed them attention, publicity and controversy. Certainly the Sussex publicity and legal machine was primed and ready to go from the moment the announcement was made.

They are good at the PR game, and they and their team have had the philosophy that any publicity is good publicity from the start. Harry and Meghan aren’t victims here; they would have made this decision with their eyes wide open.

If the reason behind the name was really to honour the Queen, they’d have made the announcement and then gone into hibernation. No Omid Scobie and other lap dogs arguing for them in the media, and certainly no threat of legal action because of a BBC article that people would forget about in less than 24 hours if they left it alone. Their daughter is a private citizen, they don’t need to engage with the media or defend their decision, full stop.

Instead they’re on the phone with their PR and legal teams, doing all they can to prolong a sh*t storm that they helped create and that didn’t need to happen. It’s truly sad that this is how they’re choosing to spend their time when they could be ignoring the whole world and focusing completely on their newborn daughter.

Of course they knew naming the baby Lillibet would invite comment and strong opinions from the public and press. They can name their child whatever they want, for whatever reasons they choose, but giving her this particular name guaranteed them attention, publicity and controversy. Certainly the Sussex publicity and legal machine was primed and ready to go from the moment the announcement was made.

They are good at the PR game, and they and their team have had the philosophy that any publicity is good publicity from the start. Harry and Meghan aren’t victims here; they would have made this decision with their eyes wide open.

If the reason behind the name was really to honour the Queen, they’d have made the announcement and then gone into hibernation. No Omid Scobie and other lap dogs arguing for them in the media, and certainly no threat of legal action because of a BBC article that people would forget about in less than 24 hours if they left it alone. Their daughter is a private citizen, they don’t need to engage with the media or defend their decision, full stop.

Instead they’re on the phone with their PR and legal teams, doing all they can to prolong a sh*t storm that they helped create and that didn’t need to happen. It’s truly sad that this is how they’re choosing to spend their time when they could be ignoring the whole world and focusing completely on their newborn daughter.
or they could have siad "we've had a lovely daughter and we're taking a few months off to be with her.. and we'll announce her name later." Yes the press might moan, but if they really vanished off the radar, I think that gradually the interest would fade. If they really DID lead a private life in the US, the British press would problaby go on about them for a time but in due course, the interest would fade as there would be nothing to feed it, except an occasional sighting of Harry on a bike or the like.

The obvious conclusion is they have no interest in having interest in them fade, by their actions.

Lots of people use their children's names to invite comment. With all due respect to those concerned, does anyone imagine that people thought "Ooh, Apple/Sunday Rose/North West/Zowie Bowie/Fifi Trixabelle/Brooklyn is such a nice name - why don't we go with that?"? The difference is that none of those names "involve" other people.

Yes! Lilabeth is a name. Lilibet is an unusual nickname.

and there dont seem to be "lots of other Lilibets" out there......

Lots of people use their children's names to invite comment. With all due respect to those concerned, does anyone imagine that people thought "Ooh, Apple/Sunday Rose/North West/Zowie Bowie/Fifi Trixabelle/Brooklyn is such a nice name - why don't we go with that?"? The difference is that none of those names "involve" other people.

I think some people truly have a rather bizarre taste in names.. Paula Yates was one.. with other celebs, one does feel that they chose the odd names to attract attention..and I think that later on, the kids have often changed their names ot something more mundane.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have finally got to the point where I am not going to read or watch or be interested in anything these two do. Its sad that the name is overshadowing a lovely event. I think they were naive if they thought no one would think it a bit much to use his Grandmothers pet name especially after trashing the family so publicly. But You can generally called your child what you like (unless you live in Iceland apparently)

One thing does stand out for me with the Sussexes taking on the BBC and threatening "legal action" is that it does accomplish something.

It's like dangling a carrot before a horse, Whenever someone writes and prints something in regards to the Sussexes, they're guaranteed to get a reaction and those reactions generate more stories and interest by the public and the end result then is.... (drum roll please).... more green dollars in the pocket.

My adult daughter who knows little about the Sussexes said just that: that it sounded like they were using this name for payback and attention and what kind of parent would do that?

I really think these two are so full of their own importance, that they may not honestly see how tone deaf they are.

Wow, this is so well stated. It is really, really sad but I agree with what you’ve said.

I know everyone has strong feelings about the name and about this latest BBC news, but please be respectful of each other. There is no need to derail the thread with back and forth bickering.

Also some of you seem to be forgetting the earlier mod note. So here it is again.

As with other threads about new royal babies, Lili's names will be discussed. Some people may like the name and some people may not. There is no need to take it personally, nor is there a need to fight over it.

Going forward please stick to discussing the name and stay away from lecturing your fellow members/assigning motives about why they do, or don’t like the name.

Maybe this goes in here to separate this latest spat from Baby Lili herself.

Apparently the Sussexes have now sent legal letters to every major British media outlet warning them not to repeat the "defamatory" BBC story. Which doesn't seem to have had much affect as they're all running both stories most leading with "Harry goes to war with BBC over name story" and then repeating the original quote from Palace Source.

It bears pointing out that the Palace has so far not put out a statement or another "source" disavowing the report this morning.

It appears that once again the Sussexes are trying to control the media which is an impossible task.

In spite of all this legal drama still no one is able to put out a statement that says "we asked for specific permission to use the specific name Lilibet within the last few days/weeks and HM was delighted to specifically grant the request."

It's all weasel wording and this is the same Harry that used a phone call with HM before Megxit to claim that HM had agreed to all their HIHO demands and courtiers were just overstepping/vengeful/wrong when that was clearly not true.

They have a brand new baby girl and they seem very focused on the media. If they let this go the questions over her name would die down in a few days

Last edited:
They have a brand new baby girl and they seem very focused on the media. If they let this go the questions over her name would die down in a few days

They can't. Too focused on dictating their narrative to actually have a narrative they don't spin.

Mind filling us in, for those of us who dislike giving tabloids clicks?

Evidently Mr. Markle has given an interview with 60 Minutes Australia. He says that he was not informed of Lili's birth and learned of it when he heard the news on the radio. He reiterates that he will be very disappointed if he does not get to hold his granddaughter. The trailer then shows him stating "You want dirty laundry? This is the first time I've discussed these things." It's not clear exactly what he might be discussing.

I wonder if President Biden will be asked. His team has been asked about the Siussexes each time some big news story popped up and he is on his way to the UK now. Lili is an American member of the royal family. Will be interesting how he responds if they do.

That would be a whole other level of insanity. Where to even start with that one.:D

China
Covid
The economy
Russia
Nato
Lili M-W

Please let it happen. Talk about jumping the shark.:lol:

And the plot thickens. With everything that has happened over the past couple of months, I swear that someone could turn all this into a weekly cringeworthy soap opera type reality show. I wonder if Edward would allow them to revive his program title "It's A Royal Knockout". :whistling:

Where's my popcorn? ?

I had loads of time to kill while I was sitting on a conference call that I had to listen in to but not participate in and after much social media browsing and checking out the Twitter feeds of a few longtime royal reporters, they've made it quite clear in the last hour or so that the palace still has not issued anything at all disagreeing with the "Senior Palace Source" and that, in fact, they are being led to believe that HM wants it out there and known that she was displeased with being told and not asked. There are some carefully worded suggestions beginning to be bandied about that perhaps this was the final straw for the Palace and they will begin to subtley or not so subtley fight back. As a personal note, I'm going to bet that the BBC is 100% willing to stand by their story and likely has something to back it up since they appear to still have it up along with all of the other news media in the UK and there's loads of tweets from royal reporters that, as of this posting at least, have been left up. It will certainly be interesting to watch the next few days/weeks.

Last edited:
So, I'm no fan of Harry and Meghan and I'll be the first to admit that I find much of their behavior questionable and worthy of some serious side-eye and a bit of shade throwing. That said, racism is never, ever okay and it's even less okay when it is aimed at children, in this case a newborn. While I suspect that the columnist thought she was being "edgy" and making fun of Harry and Meghan rather than Lili, she wasn't. She was just simply outing herself as a racist. Though the article does imply that this is not the first time she's been involved in these kinds of incidents. And the fact that she flatly refused to apologize is...well...I'm not really sure I have the words even though these sorts of people are rarely apologetic and even less rarely do they see their own errors and shortcomings. And for an added touch of "wow, really" she even went so far as to call Lili "it." Not "the baby" or "she" or even "the child" but "it." Anyway, here's the article in case anyone cares to read it.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/juli...fired-racist-tweet_n_60746dc7e4b0fcee71a07a9e

She’s been (rightly) fired.

My adult daughter who knows little about the Sussexes said just that: that it sounded like they were using this name for payback and attention and what kind of parent would do that?

I really think these two are so full of their own importance, that they may not honestly see how tone deaf they are.

Just read Meghan's earlier statement about her father's actions that she "genuinely can't imagine doing anything to intentionally cause pain" (to your child). I guess she doesn't consider their actions as potentially hurting their children but I am afraid that Archie and Lili might beg to differ in the future. And apparently, intentionally causing pain to your father, brother, grandparents and other family members is fine?!

That would be a whole other level of insanity. Where to even start with that one.:D

China
Covid
The economy
Russia
Nato
Lili M-W

Yes, he might well be asked by some journalist. I doubt he'll reply in anything but the vaguest of terms no matter what he thinks. POTUS getting involved in a family disagreement about names? When he should be focused on the G7 et al. The UK government isn't thrilled about his talk over NI at the moment, something it's not unusual for US presidents to get involved in. Commenting on a baby or the RF in general? Nope. The Obamas were very neutral stressing "service and family" when they were asked for comments.

Besides a photo op with HM is still a rite of passage for US presidents and worth more to them than saying "Hey, Lili Di is American you know, stay out of her name Queenie!"

I have tried so hard to keep out of this but you sum this whole mess up beautifully. Harry and Meghan know that the palace would never have made a comment with regards the existence or not of a conversion where the Queen was asked or told about the name, It would have remained a family matter.

By allowing Omid and I use the word for a reason to issue a comment that inferred she had agreed the name opened the can of worms.

I have made the comment before , the sentence out of the paragraph, they position things in a way to lead people down a road, while failing to correct if the wrong impression has been taken.
I do not have an opinion one way or another regarding the use of the name, the only comment I will make is why name a child one name and at the same time tell you she will be called a different name.

I had loads of time to kill while I was sitting on a conference call that I had to listen in to but not participate in and after much social media browsing and checking out the Twitter feeds of a few longtime royal reporters, they've made it quite clear in the last hour or so that the palace still has not issued anything at all disagreeing with the "Senior Palace Source" and that, in fact, they are being led to believe that HM wants it out there and known that she was displeased with being told and not asked. There are some carefully worded suggestions beginning to be bandied about that perhaps this was the final straw for the Palace and they will begin to subtley or not so subtley fight back. As a personal note, I'm going to bet that the BBC is 100% willing to stand by their story and likely has something to back it up since they appear to still have it up along with all of the other news media in the UK and there's loads of tweets from royal reporters that, as of this posting at least, have been left up. It will certainly be interesting to watch the next few days/weeks.

I think you’re probably correct all around.

And if HM herself/the Palace is fed up, I do find that understandable.

China
Covid
The economy
Russia
Nato
Lili M-W

I really hope not but I never imagined they would be asked before either. I guess some of the UK journalist couldn't help themselves and now he will be on their soil!! LOL

Evidently Mr. Markle has given an interview with 60 Minutes Australia. He says that he was not informed of Lili's birth and learned of it when he heard the news on the radio. He reiterates that he will be very disappointed if he does not get to hold his granddaughter. The trailer then shows him stating "You want dirty laundry? This is the first time I've discussed these things." It's not clear exactly what he might be discussing.

That's a shame. I know they've fallen out, but could someone not have managed a text or an e-mail?

Maybe this goes in here to separate this latest spat from Baby Lili herself.

Apparently the Sussexes have now sent legal letters to every major British media outlet warning them not to repeat the "defamatory" BBC story. Which doesn't seem to have had much affect as they're all running both stories most leading with "Harry goes to war with BBC over name story" and then repeating the original quote from Palace Source.

It bears pointing out that the Palace has so far not put out a statement or another "source" disavowing the report this morning.

It appears that once again the Sussexes are trying to control the media which is an impossible task.

In spite of all this legal drama still no one is able to put out a statement that says "we asked for specific permission to use the specific name Lilibet within the last few days/weeks and HM was delighted to specifically grant the request."

It's all weasel wording and this is the same Harry that used a phone call with HM before Megxit to claim that HM had agreed to all their HIHO demands and courtiers were just overstepping/vengeful/wrong when that was clearly not true.

Agreed all around.

I realize there will never be agreement on Meghan’s treatment by the media and what the appropriate response (if any) should have been.

But- regardless- I do think Harry and Meghan appear to be overly focused….obsessed may be a better word- with media coverage and trying to control it.

This legal path they are choosing to go down with the BBC is a perfect example. Just let it go….and the story goes away. (That isn’t to say let go of anything truly egregious, but this does not fall into that category IMO.) Just enjoy your baby.

And really all they had to do was release the lovely name and leave it at that. There wouldn’t have been a response if the Sussexes had stopped right there. But- they just can’t seem to do that. It’s constant pushing….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom