Birth of Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor: June 4, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So certainly her GRANDSON is entitled to honor his grandmother that way. He isn’t asking anyone to call HM Lilibet. And just because it’s HMs nickname, it’s cynical and dishonorable to use it again? How does that make any sense? Especially when they’ve made clear she will be called Lili.

On the flip side, there's no reason why Henry and Meghan couldn't have honoured The Queen by naming the girl Lili as a given name, instead of Lilibet.

Secret? I never spoke about a secret. It is common knowledge but that has nothing to do with it; it is inappropriately intimate imho - especially for a grandson completely going against everything she stands for.

The queen was surely informed but of course couldn't tell them that she was less than pleased - as I already expressed in my previous post. While it might be meant to honor her, it is also very much meant to tie themselves to her status. The response of many clearly shows that a much better way to honor the queen would have been to actually honor them by the way they behave themselves and not cling to every opportunity to be seen as royalty while at the same time breaking down the BRF as much as possible.
That is a great way of stating it! It is “inappropriately intimate” as you said. Particularly for a couple who has trashed the RF the way these two have. And I’m not sure they would have told her nor asked for permission- these two do whatever they want. Sometimes I think they are oblivious- but they cannot possibly be that stupid (or at least Meghan can’t be).:whistling:

Last edited:
Congratulations on the birth of a healthy baby girl, and I'm glad Meghan is doing well.

I find the choice of name incredibly cynical, and in my personal opinion a clear attempt to stay in the royal limelight. I cannot match the attitude both Henry and Meghan have outspokenly portrayed, verbally, since leaving the royal family and "honouring" The Queen with the use of her incredibly personal and heartfelt nickname given to her by her beloved husband.

I don't believe the word "private" means that everyone doesn't know. Lilibet isn't a typical name for the given name Elizabeth, it was one given to Elizabeth by Philip. It's incredibly private in that manner.

Lilibet will now become one of those Top 10 names in the next couple of years, in my opinion ruining the private nature of the name.
My understanding is that nickname was given to her by her grandfather George V, technically it came from The Queen herself because she could not pronounce her own name. She was called Lilibet long before she met Philip.

Everyone keeps saying Lilibet is a “private” name, yet we ALL know it is HMs nickname.

We know this nickname as a result of her nanny's betrayed. The queen never ever used this nickname publicly.

Philip didn’t coin Lilibet as a name for his wife. According to Crawfie, (the Queen and Princess Margaret’s governess) she wrote in her memoirs that the Queen called herself that as a small child. She even wrote letters with that signature. Other sources named Margaret as the first to say Lilibet, as she couldn’t pronounce Elizabeth. Then the Queen’s parents called her it.

At the time of the Golden Jubilee I remember King Juan Carlos saying ‘Cousin Lilibet’ and his son King Felipe apparently followed during the State Visit when greeting the Queen, so it’s not that intimate.

My eyes have rolled out of my head so many times with these two they are are now attached with bungee cords..

May this newborn child be forever known as "Lili" as the press release seems to indicate and leave this baggage behind on the train platform.

This is a very good point. Calling HM anything other than HM is rather intimate in and of itself. Let’s not make a mole out of nothing here. Harry is certainly more adept to know how to honor his grandmother than us folk out of the family after all.
During last year Harry showed many times that he doesn't understand his family's values, doesn't respect his family and is able to do stupid things including using the queen's intimate name.

On the flip side, there's no reason why Henry and Meghan couldn't have honoured The Queen by naming the girl Lili as a given name, instead of Lilibet.

One reason may be—they didn’t want to? They wanted to honor her by Lilibet. Perhaps they actually like the name Lilibet.

Last edited:
Eugenie posted a congrats on her Instagram story.

Its cynical to use it, because its not 2 weeks since he was attacking the RF in general and claiming that the queen and Philip were not good parents, and that Charles hadn't been a good parent to him.

Charles has said much the same about his upbringing.

We know this nickname as a result of her nanny's betrayed. The queen never ever used this nickname publicly.

Her cousins have talked about that name on documentaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the Queen is Harry’s grandmother, his Grannie who he’s known all his life. She’s not some formal public figure to him.

Of course she isn't. But it's not a public nickname. She isn't "Good Queen Lilibet" in the way he's Prince Henry called Harry.

All the other family members who've honoured her have used Elizabeth and she's been on much better terms with them than she has been with the Sussexes in the last year despite claims otherwise.

This is a very good point. Calling HM anything other than HM is rather intimate in and of itself. Let’s not make a mole out of nothing here. Harry is certainly more adept to know how to honor his grandmother than us folk out of the family after all.

I think the last year has shown that Harry doesn't actually have the slightest bit of respect for his grandmother despite attempts to claim otherwise and only a couple of weeks ago accused her of being a bad parent who passed "genetic pain" to him via his father.

Why would he want to burden his daughter with her special nickname and not her own name that "nods" to it like just plain Lili which is very pretty? Because they want to be as connected to HM as possible.

Clearly they can do what they like but their own actions made it a loaded and at least somewhat disingenuous choice. The more straightforward Elizabeth or something like "Betsy" would have been better in that regard.

Last edited:
I hope that one day they grown up and find out more mature reasons to do something.

??? Everyone names their children based on names they like. Is that inmature?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most new parents, whether mature to others’ way of thinking or not, choose a name they love for their baby. Which Harry and Meghan did with Archie, and are now doing with Lili. As every parent is entitled to do with their own child.

Everyone keeps saying Lilibet is a “private” name, yet we ALL know it is HMs nickname.
Yes, we all know that this is HM’s nickname. Yet it is personal and intimate to her family - i think it is disrespectful. They made it very clear they were going to call her Lili - so name her Lili and tell everyone it is to honor HM.

I agree with Denville that they want to show they are “in” with HM whom they desperately need for their brand. But maybe this is their convoluted way of trying to extend an olive branch after all the negativity they’ve poured onto the RF.:rolleyes:

Am I right in thinking that Lili is the first foreign born in the top ten order of succession to the throne since the children of Princess Vicky? The future kaiser was born 6th in line to the UK throne in 1859.

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking that Lili is the first foreign born in the top ten order of succession to the throne since the children of Princess Vicky? The future kaiser was born 6th in line to the UK throne in 1859.

Why wasn't he disqualified by being in the line of succession elsewhere?

But they do want to call her Lili.. they have said so.. and its apparently quite a popular name in the US at present.

One reason may be—they didn’t want to? They wanted to honor her by Lilibet. Perhaps they actually like the name Lilibet.

You proffered one option, I offered another.

It’s quite clear they didn’t want to name her Lili. What’s it to you?

Except they've clearly intimated the child will be known as Lili in the everyday, they've given the child a shortened version of their chosen honoured name before the child ever knows her own name.

It's in fact very similar to what Meghan has chosen to do, her given name is Rachel, she chose to use Meghan and therefore is not known by her given name by anyone. Lili will be Lili, known only in formal situations (certificates, marriage etc) as Lilibet.

This is an open forum for discussion, where members are offering their own opinions. "What's it to you?", isn't exactly forming cordial discussion now is it?

Last edited:
But they do want to call her Lili.. they have said so.. and its apparently quite a popular name in the US at present.

Calling her lili and wanting her real name to be Lilibet are not mutually exclusive.

Why wasn't he disqualified by being in the line of succession elsewhere?

I dont think there was any rule against it. George I was in the line of succession for the Kingdom of Hanover, and he became King.

So certainly her GRANDSON is entitled to honor his grandmother that way. He isn’t asking anyone to call HM Lilibet. And just because it’s HMs nickname, it’s cynical and dishonorable to use it again? How does that make any sense? Especially when they’ve made clear she will be called Lili.
Have you been following how Harry and Meghan have been trashing the RF, the monarchy itself, and parenting by the RF the last few months? They are incredibly tone deaf.

I just rolled my eyes when I first saw the chosen name. Fancy burdening a new baby with such a childish nickname, and what a cheek appropriating the Queen’s special name, after the disrespect this couple has shown the Royal Family. Perhaps it would’ve been more seemly to have named their daughter Lilli/Lili, with mention of the connection, rather than stealing the name itself.

Congratulations on the birth of a healthy baby girl, and I'm glad Meghan is doing well.

I find the choice of name incredibly cynical, and in my personal opinion a clear attempt to stay in the royal limelight. I cannot match the attitude both Henry and Meghan have outspokenly portrayed, verbally, since leaving the royal family and "honouring" The Queen with the use of her incredibly personal and heartfelt nickname used by her beloved husband and family.

I don't believe the word "private" means that everyone doesn't know. Lilibet isn't a typical name for the given name Elizabeth, it is one used by her family only. It's incredibly private in that manner.

Lilibet will now become one of those Top 10 names in the next couple of years, in my opinion ruining the private nature of the name.
I agree that this controversy about the name will keep them in the limelight.

Congratulations to Harry and Meghan. I'm glad mother and baby are doing well. I think it is very nice that they honored Harry's grandmother and mother. Lilibet is the Queen's family name and Harry, Meghan, Archie and little Lilibet are family.

I'm probably the only person who doesn't like the name Lili/ Lily. I do, on the other hand, like Lilibet very much. It's pretty, it's unique and more elegant than Lili in my opinion. That's my opinion on the name by itself, without the context...

However, for them to use this name after spending the past year, and recent months in particular, trashing the Queen's parenting, her family & life's work, is beyond hypocritical and distasteful. I cannot perceive them as genuinely trying to honour someone, to whom they have not shown much respect at all, and whom they have caused a tremendous amount of hurt during one of the most difficult times in her life.

If they had shown the Queen love and respect as Harry's grandmother and a dear family member, I would think it a sweet tribute. In this context, I cannot.

I also really, really doubt that they asked the Queen's permission, which they should have since it is an intimate nickname and certainly not a common one! And she is a Queen, so in my opinion they should have asked permission even if they had wanted to use Elizabeth as a first name (as opposed to a middle name as the other members of the family have done). It's just the respectful thing to do.

If one disregards the disrespectful behaviour and constant seeking of fame (and that's what this name is meant to do, in my opinion, provide more fame and money making opportunities) of the parents, I think it will still be a sweet connection for the Queen and Lilibet to share. The Queen can't be happy with what Harry & Meghan are doing, but she might still be happy to have her nickname live on in her great-granddaughter. And when Lilibet is old enough to understand the Queen's life and reign, I hope it will be very special to her, too :flowers:

It makes me cringe to imagine HM's staff and close family referring to the baby as Lilibet in the presence of The Queen. So awkward! The name seems like such a "gotcha" move on the part of Harry and his wife.

But they are ‘personal choices’ of each member of the royal family. No new parent names their child by committee or takes note of what crowds of strangers think about their choices.

Every parent chooses a name they love for their new baby, whether a family name or not, and what others, think about that choice doesn’t matter one jot. Or shouldn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom