Birth of Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor: June 4, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had any members guessed the name correctly?
And not in a million years would I have.

I think most people guessed Diana and a lot of people mentioned Lily. Lilibet no..

Considering Harry and Meghan are no longer affiliated with the British monarchy, what makes you think they had to ask permission?
I doubt if they asked permission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad baby and mother are well but I admit the name feels like a huge grab for attention or to keep a place in granny's will. It also seems like a slap in the face to the Queen after all the stunts they've pulled the last two-three years. I wish I could think the name was well intentioned but I really can't.

I wonder, though why we accept the name "Elizabeth" for a girl as a tribute to HM, when no polite person calls her "Elizabeth" at all, her family use "Lilibet" and all the others use HM. I mean, how many of us use "Kate" instead of Catherine for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge?And now the grandson of a lady called "LIlibet" in her family uses that to name his daughter who won't probably ever be queen and it's not okay?

I had guessed that Diana would be in there . I did think they might have used Philippa , as a nod to Prince Phillip .

I wonder, though why we accept the name "Elizabeth" for a girl as a tribute to HM, when no polite person calls her "Elizabeth" at all, her family use "Lilibet" and all the others use HM. I mean, how many of us use "Kate" instead of Catherine for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge?And now the grandson of a lady called "LIlibet" in her family uses that to name his daughter who won't probably ever be queen and it's not okay?

her family and intimate friends may call her Lilibet.. but I'm sure she has other less intimate friends who call her Elizabeth..and the rest of the world call her by her title. if Harry wanted to pay tribute to his grandmother why not use her proper name?

So last month the Queen was neglectful and unfeeling of Harry, and this month he's naming his daughter after her. (Sort of.)

Why didn't they just follow their hearts and name her "Diana ATM Mountbatten-Windsor?"

So last month the Queen was neglectful and unfeeling of Harry, and this month he's naming his daughter after her. (Sort of.)

Why didn't they just follow their hearts and name her "Diana ATM Mountbatten-Windsor?"

I really dont know why they didn't pick a name that they liked, if Lily was that name use it.. and then add the names of both her grandmothers..

How do we know the Queen isn’t highly delighted that her great-granddaughter is going to have her childhood name? Why regard it as an insult?

And CH, KP and The Royal Family Twitter accounts sent warm congratulations very quickly. As did Boris Johnson and others. They were happy for this little family.

Wonderful news. But the name is just so ... not very subtle.

Not that unexpected from the Sussexes, but still...

There were discussions IIRC because members pointed out their love of nicknames as regular names, so Lilibet was discussed along with Lily or Betty etc. But I think most assumed they wouldn't go for something so intimate or obvious.

Wow so much vitriol about them honoring their grandmother by naming their daughter her unusual nickname. I even saw someone say that the child will be mocked for the old-fashioned name.

I just named my duaghter after my grandmother Andoria but we will call her Anne which was is my grandmothers nickname which I’ve never called her obviously but she was incredibly honored by it.

The H&M disdained has is...odd. Let’s not talk horrible about a child’s name, folks.

Well, for one, they've spent months trashing the entire BRF and the system so at this point I'd feel a little bit iffy about even Elizabeth. But a nickname is much more intimate than someone's formal given name, especially when that person is a public figure.

I would NEVER dream of referring to the Queen as Lilibet. It reeks of disrespect to me. I do refer to Catherine as Kate on occasion because that's how she was first introduced to us but I am trying to break myself of that as she will one day be the Queen.

This is a very good point. Calling HM anything other than HM is rather intimate in and of itself. Let’s not make a mole out of nothing here. Harry is certainly more adept to know how to honor his grandmother than us folk out of the family after all.

How do we know the Queen isn’t highly delighted that her great-granddaughter is going to have her childhood name? Why regard it as an insult?

And CH, KP and The Royal Family Twitter accounts sent warm congratulations very quickly. As did Boris Johnson and others. They were happy for this little family.

It's true, we have no idea how HM feels and since she's not going to say if she's not, we'll never really know. She could be delighted.

However I personally regard it as at best a loaded choice both given that a) it's an intimate nickname for close family and friends and b) because whilst they profess to respect and love HM and chat regularly, they've spent they last year and a half trying to tear down everything she's worked for her whole life, including recently saying Harry has genetic pain from her bad parenting and that they "had" to flee to break free from the toxicity. To say that and give that name seems disingenuous.

Why not just Lily or including her mother as well? Some nickname for Elizabeth that isn't HM's would be better if they wanted to go that route.

As for the royal accounts reacting with warm congratulations within a couple of hours? What else were they supposed to do? It would have been 100 times more surprising if they hadn't. And I'm sure they are happy and relieved she and her mum are safe and healthy.

But the Queen is Harry’s grandmother, his Grannie who he’s known all his life. She’s not some formal public figure to him.

All of the social channels are posting the name Lilibet which I think we can all assume means there is no ill-feelings about the name from the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's true, we have no idea how HM feels and since she's not going to say if she's not, we'll never really know. She could be delighted.

However I personally regard it as at best a loaded choice both given that a) it's an intimate nickname for close family and friends and b) because whilst they profess to respect and love HM and chat regularly, they've spent they last year and a half trying to tear down everything she's worked for her whole life, including recently saying Harry has genetic pain from her bad parenting and that they "had" to flee to break free from the toxicity. To say that and give that name seems disingenuous.

Why not just Lily or including her mother as well? Some nickname for Elizabeth that isn't HM's would be better if they wanted to go that route.

As for the royal accounts reacting with warm congratulations within a couple of hours? What else were they supposed to do? It would have been 100 times more surprising if they hadn't. And I'm sure they are happy and relieved she and her mum are safe and healthy.

You summed it up beautifully.

At least they didn't name the baby Cabbage!

IMHO "Lilibet" does not seem to be employed as a tribute, I see it more as another swipe at the monarchy.

Glad she's been born safely and mum and baby are well. But wow with the name.

For two people who really claim to hate everything about the family and have spent the last year trying to destroy everything HM holds dear, they're laying it on really thick and not in a good way. It's also a little presumptuous to use a private family nickname unless you've asked permission and I kind of doubt they had.

Not surprised about Diana of course.
I agree with you 1000% about the name. I seriously doubt they asked for permission - I think it is intrusive. They could have just named her Lili Diana and SAID that Lili was honoring the Queen’s family nickname - but to name her a private family nickname.....These two are unbelievable!!! To do what they’ve done and then have the gall to use this name!

A nickname for Elizabeth in my family (her sister couldn’t say it): Bibeth. But as a real name??? Never! :rolleyes:

Lili Diana is very sweet. Even with my shock of hearing the first name, I am glad to hear that both mother and baby are doing well:flowers:

I disagree. I think Harry intended the name as a tribute to his grandmother, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she is pleased. I think the baby will be referred to ad Lili 99% of the time anyway, which I think is a very pretty name. I wish this little family all the best.

IMHO "Lilibet" does not seem to be employed as a tribute, I see it more as another swipe at the monarchy.

You think they decided on their child’s name based on how to swipe the monarchy? Let’s use some humanity and common sense here. No one would do that.

I'd say more a way of "proving" how intimate they are with the queen (In spite of her apparent shortcomings as a parent). Like they told how she got Archie a waffle iron and that Philip cuts off calls by closing the computer.. Its all to say that they are intimate with the RF....

I agree with you 1000% about the name. I seriously doubt they asked for permission - I think it is intrusive. They could have just named her Lili Diana and SAID that Lili was honoring the Queen’s family nickname - but to name her a private family nickname.....These two are unbelievable!!! To do what they’ve done and then have the gall to use this name!

A nickname for Elizabeth in my family (her sister couldn’t say it): Bibeth. But as a real name??? Never! :rolleyes:

Lili Diana is very sweet. Even with my shock of hearing the first name, I am glad to hear that both mother and baby are doing well:flowers:

Everyone keeps saying Lilibet is a “private” name, yet we ALL know it is HMs nickname.

Congratulations on the birth of a healthy baby girl, and I'm glad Meghan is doing well.

I find the choice of name incredibly cynical, and in my personal opinion a clear attempt to stay in the royal limelight. I cannot match the attitude both Henry and Meghan have outspokenly portrayed, verbally, since leaving the royal family and "honouring" The Queen with the use of her incredibly personal and heartfelt nickname used by her beloved husband and family.

Everyone keeps saying Lilibet is a “private” name, yet we ALL know it is HMs nickname.

I don't believe the word "private" means that everyone doesn't know. Lilibet isn't a typical name for the given name Elizabeth, it is one used by her family only. It's incredibly private in that manner.

Lilibet will now become one of those Top 10 names in the next couple of years, in my opinion ruining the private nature of the name.

Last edited:

It is private in that only close friends and family members are allowed to call HM that. We might all know the nickname but I doubt any of us would dare call the Queen Lilibet to her face that is what makes it private.

It is private in that only close friends and family members are allowed to call HM that. We might all know the nickname but I doubt any of us would dare call the Queen Lilibet to her face that is what makes it private.

So certainly her GRANDSON is entitled to honor his grandmother that way. He isn’t asking anyone to call HM Lilibet. And just because it’s HMs nickname, it’s cynical and dishonorable to use it again? How does that make any sense? Especially when they’ve made clear she will be called Lili.

So certainly her GRANDSON is entitled to honor his grandmother that way. He isn’t asking anyone to call HM Lilibet. And just because it’s HMs nickname, it’s cynical and dishonorable to use it again? How does that make any sense? Especially when they’ve made clear she will be called Lili.

Its cynical to use it, because its not 2 weeks since he was attacking the RF in general and claiming that the queen and Philip were not good parents, and that Charles hadn't been a good parent to him.

Congratulations on the birth of a healthy baby girl, and I'm glad Meghan is doing well.

I find the choice of name incredibly cynical, and in my personal opinion a clear attempt to stay in the royal limelight. I cannot match the attitude both Henry and Meghan have outspokenly portrayed, verbally, since leaving the royal family and "honouring" The Queen with the use of her incredibly personal and heartfelt nickname given to her by her beloved husband.

I don't believe the word "private" means that everyone doesn't know. Lilibet isn't a typical name for the given name Elizabeth, it was one given to Elizabeth by Philip. It's incredibly private in that manner.

Lilibet will now become one of those Top 10 names in the next couple of years, in my opinion ruining the private nature of the name.

Lilibet was not given to HM by Philip. She created that nickname because Elizabeth was hard for her when she was younger. Lilibet will not become top 10 names. Perhaps Lili. Lilibet is too unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom