Birth of Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor: June 4, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to the couple!!!

Lilli is actually a pretty name and goes well with Archie and is quite popular now.

But can I please hope that they'll now stop attacking everything her great-grandmother holds dear now that they've proven that they want to be connected with royalty? Anyone want to take a bet? ;)

I dont think so. But I like the name Lily, if they like it why not just use it? They were always going to use Diana, that was a given.

Congrats! Welcome Lili!
Glad to Hear they are both well
Diana was expected and is a nice tribute.
I'm Not a fan of Lilibet because I find it too nickname-y and to much a reference to someone specific (and very important), in my opinion just Lily or Lili would have been better and a more wearable name but it's just my opinion and the important part is that they are happy and so is the Queen (I would like to say that this would be my opinion with any of QEII descendants using Lilibet as a first name, it is not specifically a critic to the Sussexes)
Still, congrats to the new family of four and I wish Lili an amazing life

Last edited:
I just did a quick search and it looks like at least eight of the queen’s descendants are named “Elizabeth” in some form.

I actually like the name Lili, the sentiment is sweet and Archie and Lili go well together as a sibling set. However, I don’t love using Lilibet as a full name, I think going straight for Lili or naming her Elizabeth and calling her Lili would have been better. I guess the “nickname of a nickname” thing really throws me off and Lilibet is just such a strange name on its own.

I don't like use of the queen's nickname as forename. It doesn't look appropriate. :(

I just did a quick search and it looks like at least eight of the queen’s descendants are named “Elizabeth” in some form.
Not in 'some form'; the firstborn daughters all have Elizabeth as one of their names. All of them except the Sussexes used the queen's official name Elizabeth as a middle name. Nobody dared to use the queen's intimate childhood nickname; except for those who least respect her legacy.

Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise
Zara Anne Elizabeth
Beatrice Elizabeth Mary
Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary
Isla Elizabeth
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
Lena Elizabeth
Lilibet (Lili) Diana

If they didn't want to use Elizabeth, why not use 'Lily' as her official name that would be clearly inspired by the queen without using the name that Harry would never dare to use to refer to his grandmother. Alternatively, they could have used Elizabeth as her official name and announce that she would be known as Lily but that would make less sense in combination with their choice for Archie (instead of Archibald being called Archie).

And the poor child will have to endure the mockery for her rather weird and old-fashioned (but not traditional) legal name... all of this could have been easily avoided.

Last edited:
Interesting that in their communiqué the couple refers to "The Princess of Wales", a title Diana lost more than 25 years ago, since the divorce from The Prince of Wales.

I noticed that too and their own names/title are in the format of the divorced Diana and Sarah.

Archie and Lili make a nice combination.

It’s sweet that both Diana’s granddaughters bear her name.

Agree with those who aren't fans of Lilibet - that's a family nickname not a regular name - even Archie at least had that going for him. Lili or Lily would have been much nicer and still retained the connection - and would have flowed better off the tongue than Lilibet Diana. Using Lilibet is just too try-hard and cutesy for words. Seriously, this kid is going to have to live with "Lili" or "Lilibet" on her CV/resume/applications for the rest of her life.

I'm highly amused at how many of us here called Diana as one of her names. Not all that unsurprising since William used it as one of Charlotte's middle names - her sons both still, very clearly, love and miss her dearly.

Also, word up to everyone who said the baby was likely due last week or this week. Let's pat ourselves on our collective backs for knowing that in the US summer "starts" Memorial Day weekend/first week of June, lol.

But, also - congratulations to the family. Now that they're on paternity leave, maybe they'll be silent for a few months.

Interesting that in their communiqué the couple refers to "The Princess of Wales", a title Diana lost more than 25 years ago, since the divorce from The Prince of Wales.

Yeah. I noticed that too. Interesting.

Not in 'some form'; all of them except the Sussexes used the queen's official name Elizabeth as a middle name. Nobody dared to use the queen's intimate childhood nickname; except for those who least respect her legacy.

“Dared?” It may be a childhood nickname, but it’s not a secret. I’ll bet the Queen already knew the name before they announced it and I’m sure it’s meant to honor her, not tear her down.

:flowers: Congratulations to the Sussexes on the birth of their new daughter Lilibet.

“Dared?” It may be a childhood nickname, but it’s not a secret. I’ll bet the Queen already knew the name before they announced it and I’m sure it’s meant to honor her, not tear her down.

it doesn't feel like honoring the queen.

There are various alternatives to Elizabeth - Isabel or Isabella, or the Scottish Elspeth, and a lot of people now use Beth, Libby, Lizzie, Betty, Bessie or Eliza as names on their own.

Lilibet's always been unique to the Queen - one of those childhood nicknames which stuck, because she couldn't pronounce her own name properly when she was a baby learning to speak. I don't think even the Kents and the Gloucesters use it: as far as I know, Prince Philip was the last person who called her Lilibet.

Not so:

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/30/world/the-royal-newlyweds-she-charms-with-an-easy-grace.html

‘...whom Diana has called “Aunt Lilibet” since childhood.’

Please note the use of the present tense in my post. Diana has been gone since 1997.

It has been quite widely reported that for very many years now, those who call the Queen Lilibet have whittled down to those from her childhood, with some even saying that only Prince Philip remained of those.

It's all cute but I'm slightly disappointed that Doria wasn't included.
Like.. they went ballistic against the royals yet they milk the names. No shame. Shame about no Doria who was a great mother..

The Sussex kids won’t have any connection with Diana other than blood. Doria seems very involved in the kids’ lives, so.

They could have called her Elizabeth with the pet name Lily.. that was quite common in Victorian times. I didn't think that Doria's name would get a mention but Diana was always going to be the second name.
Anway hope they are well....

Please note the use of the present tense in my post. Diana has been gone since 1997.

It has been quite widely reported that for very many years now, those who call the Queen Lilibet have whittled down to those from her childhood, with some even saying that only Prince Philip remained of those.

I doubt if Diana called her Aunt Lilibet as an adult, I think she became more formal and then when married to Charles called her "mama"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not in 'some form'; the firstborn daughters all have Elizabeth as one of their names. All of them except the Sussexes used the queen's official name Elizabeth as a middle name. Nobody dared to use the queen's intimate childhood nickname; except for those who least respect her legacy.

Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise
Zara Anne Elizabeth
Beatrice Elizabeth Mary
Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary
Isla Elizabeth
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
Lena Elizabeth
Lilibet (Lili) Diana

If they didn't want to use Elizabeth, why not use 'Lily' as her official name that would be clearly inspired by the queen without using the name that Harry would never dare to use to refer to his grandmother. That would make most sense in combination with their choice for Archie.

Considering there already is a (Charlotte) "Elizabeth Diana" in the closest family, that they surely asked the queen if it was okay to name their baby Lilibet and that they live in the US where Archie and Lili are normal names, I think it was a suitable choice. Plus it shows that the queen has had a "family side" to her, where she has been "Lilibet" (or Granny etc.) and that is something to treasure in the family where little Lili will grow up. And "Lili" is not much different from Zara, Mia, Lena or Isla when it comes to sound like a modern name.

It's showing how Harry and Meghan see their family and how William and Catherine see theirs. Very fitting!

I think King Felipe of Spain also refers to the Queen as "Aunt Lilibet"

Hmm...I was startled that they would call her by the queen's nicknam, but this is the couple that named their son ARCHIE.:sad:

I have no doubt she is beautiful, and Lili is a cute nickname. I hope HMQ is flattered!

Any statement from Clarence House yet?

Secret? I never spoke about a secret. It is common knowledge but that has nothing to do with it; it is inappropriately intimate imho - especially for a grandson completely going against everything she stands for.

The queen was surely informed but of course couldn't tell them that she was less than pleased - as I already expressed in my previous post. While it might be meant to honor her, it is also very much meant to tie themselves to her status. The response of many clearly shows that a much better way to honor the queen would have been to actually honor them by the way they behave themselves and not cling to every opportunity to be seen as royalty while at the same time breaking down the BRF as much as possible.

:previous: Didn't she oppose Andrew and Sarah naming Beatrice "Annabel"? If she could oppose that, surely she could tell H&M if "she was less than pleased" that they would use Lilibet.

"The response of many" :lol: Random people on the internet's opinions – especially in spaces where there's generally great animosity towards H&M – have absolutely no relevance whatsoever in terms of what the "better" way to honour QEII is. She's H&M's child and they decided the best way to honour QEII was to use Lilibet.

it doesn't feel like honoring the queen.

I'd say that's very much in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:

While I think that the use is totally inappropriate (although they can do as they please), I seem to remember that Felipe also wrote to 'Aunt Lilibet', so it might be in use by a group a bit larger than only childhood friends.

No mention of the name of their (great)granddaughter/niece.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if they asked the Queen ahead of the birth if she would mind if their daughter was named using the Queen's childhood nickname of Lilibet or if it was a surprise to the BRF as much as it is to us. I do like Lili though.

I have to admit thinking also upon hearing Lilibet that "at least they didn't name her Cabbage" another affectionate nickname Philip called his wife.

Anyways, I'm happy the child has arrived and both mom and daughter are doing well and Harry is most assuredly the proud papa. ?

I thought it was "HRH The Princess of Wales" that she lost after the divorce.....but she remained Diana Princess of Wales to the very end.

Am I confused?:sad:

Very happy that baby and mama are healthy.
Like the name especially the nickname. Lili. Kind of old fashion as I had a childhood
friend named Lily. (70 years ago)

Is Lili a spelling commonly used in Germany, or am I just thinking that because of Lili Marlene?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom