Birth of Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor: June 4, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marika86

Heir Apparant, Royal Blogger
City
Villa San Giovanni
Country
Italy
Emily Nash @emynash BREAKING: Harry and Meghan welcomed their daughter Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor on Friday June 4 at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital. Archie’s baby sister weighed 7lbs 11oz and is named after her great-grandmother the Queen and grandmother Diana, Princess of Wales:
E3NgKO9XIAA2DUv

I realize it was the Queen's childhood nickname, but I don't think it sounds very elegant.
I'd like it better if they reversed the order of names.

They will be calling her Lili.

Archie and Lili. That is cute.

Welcome to the world.

Loathe the (nick)name Lilibet as a given name, love the thought behind her being given it and I love Lili. Archie and Lili sound smashing together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lilibet Diana - I love her names.
Welcome to the world Lili.

What lovely news! Lili is such a precious name. So glad Meghan and baby are healthy and well. <3

The name is cute.

I’m not at all surprised at Diana. To be expected. And I do think it’s good that it is her middle name.

A variation of the Queen’s name (her nickname) isn’t terribly surprising. It’s less formal- similar to Archie. They have also been keen to emphasize their connection with Queen- in spite of all their criticism- personal and professional. So, I can see it.

Glad she's been born safely and mum and baby are well. But wow with the name.

For two people who really claim to hate everything about the family and have spent the last year trying to destroy everything HM holds dear, they're laying it on really thick and not in a good way. It's also a little presumptuous to use a private family nickname unless you've asked permission and I kind of doubt they had.

Not surprised about Diana of course.

Last edited:
I thought the Daily Mail was having us on, as surely no one would wait until Her Majesty The Queen's husband over over 70 years was newly laid to rest to rake her parenting over the coals, blaming it for three generations of inherited trauma, announce to the world that traveling to London to be by her side for the man's funeral induced a new spell of trauma in him to turn the occasion back on himself, and then name his child after her, only using a nickname that is reserved for intimate friends of her own generation, meaning it has no significance to him or his wife.

But I had forgotten who I was reading about.

Beautiful name!

Congratulations to parents. big brother, grandparents and great-grandmother!

Welcome to the world, Lili Diana!:usaflag::britflag2:??:duckie:????

Happy mother and daughter are doing well.

I would have understood the name 'Lily Diana' as they clearly crave their royal connection (in contrast to Archie who didn't get a royal name) and in addition build their brand on being Diana's son('s family). However, using the queen's childhood nickname (it doesn't get much more intimate than that) as their daughter's official name seems rather pretentious, especially after trying to destroy all that she has ever lived for and represents over the last year and a half. Poor queen... (who also needs to pretend to be honored by this gesture as that is what a diplomatic person like her would do)

And 'Lili' (instead of Lily) looks weird to me.

While I'm glad the child and mother are healthy and doing well, the name is a sad, sad joke.

I thought the name was a joke at first. But oh well. Congratulations to them and welcome to the world little Lili!

I forget who pointed out in the "names and godparents" thread that Lili or Lily could be short for Lilibet, but well done for your excellent guesswork!

I think it's extremely weird to use the Queen's private family nickname rather than Lili/Lily or Elizabeth, especially given their recent disrespectful behaviour towards the Royal Family, but Lili is a pretty name, and it's good to hear that Meghan and the baby are both well.

"Different" spellings seem to be a thing these days. Hailey, Jaxon, Natalee, Danyal, et al!

Last edited:
So the baby is almost sharing 2 names with Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge

Eye roll for the name ... but in a way it's typical Sussexes, so here we go ...
A birth is always the most wonderful news, so congrats to the proud parents.

It’s rather contradictory to name her after the Queen, but at the same time, very typical of them. It is, as another poster said, laying it on a bit thick.

They slam the institution HM has devoted her life towards in every way imaginable, criticize the family in general as unfeeling, neglectful and racist. Slammed her son repeatedly as a disappointment as a parent. Harry then criticized his grandparents (which of course includes her) as parents to help explain his childhood woes. They have, undoubtedly IMO, caused her enormous stress lately.

But-they’ll name their kid after her....because despite all that....they have also liked to make it clear that they’re in touch with her and are very close.

But- all that said- I do think the name itself is sweet.

Lilli is actually a pretty name and goes well with Archie and is quite popular now.

But can I please hope that they'll now stop attacking everything her great-grandmother holds dear now that they've proven that they want to be connected with royalty? Anyone want to take a bet? ;)

Eye roll for the name ... but in a way it's typical Sussexes, so here we go ...
A birth is always the most wonderful news, so congrats to the proud parents.

same here... I would expect nothing less from them

The full statement from the website of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex:
https://archewell.com/news/congratulations-to-the-duke-and-duchess-of-sussex/

It is with great joy that Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, welcome their daughter, Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, to the world. Lili was born on Friday, June 4 at 11:40 a.m. in the trusted care of the doctors and staff at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, CA.

[...]

Lili is named after her great-grandmother, Her Majesty The Queen, whose family nickname is Lilibet. Her middle name, Diana, was chosen to honor her beloved late grandmother, The Princess of Wales.

[...]

For those inquiring on sending gifts, we would ask that you support or learn more about these organizations working for women and girls: Girls Inc., Harvest Home, CAMFED or Myna Mahila Foundation.

While the Duke and Duchess are on parental leave, Archewell will continue to do important work and publish stories on the site.

Despite the parents using Lili, I suspect she will be called Lilibet on the official website of the royal family, since the website refers to for example Mike Tindall and Edo Mapelli Mozzi by their legal names Michael and Edoardo.

Probably she will be nicknamed Lili a sweet name.

Awww, such happy news! Congratulations to Harry and Meghan on the birth of their baby girl.

Lili is such an adorable name. ?

Welcome Lili Mountbatten-Windsor!

Names in honor of royal connections... And nothing for supportive and loving granny Doria...:whistling:

Anyway, I'm happy the baby is healthy. Congrats!

Interesting that in their communiqué the couple refers to "The Princess of Wales", a title Diana lost more than 25 years ago, since the divorce from The Prince of Wales.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess at the birth of their daughter.

I love the names! Both kids have informal versions of pretty traditional names.

I figured the baby would have “Diana” in there somewhere, since she’s the Sussexes last child.

It's all cute but I'm slightly disappointed that Doria wasn't included.
Like.. they went ballistic against the royals yet they milk the names. No shame. Shame about no Doria who was a great mother..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom