Birth of Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor: June 4, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully the baby and her mother are well.

Harry, Meghan, Archie and Lili sound good together.

The name Lilibet Diana is meaningful to them and I hope Lili gets to meet her great grandmother. I assume
Queen Elizabeth gave her approval for the use of her intimate nick name, Lilibet.
Lili shares a birthday with Jetsun Pema, Queen of Bhutan.

All good health and blessings for the little Lilibet.

Oh she did? I haven't seen that. Interesting that it was felt necessary to publish that ...

ETA: I'm sorry, I just saw that you assumed she'd approved. I thought it was an official announcement.

Last edited:
Oh she did? I haven't seen that. Interesting that it was felt necessary to publish that ...

It has not been officially confirmed. What the DM is currently saying is that "HM was told that they were going to name the baby after her before she was born." Not that she was asked if Lilibet was okay with her and that she gave her permission.

I really like the name - after Archie I was pondering what the couple would choose.

Diana in the name was a given. But using Lilibet is lovely and I really think it is sweet.

It has not been officially confirmed. What the DM is currently saying is that "HM was told that they were going to name the baby after her before she was born." Not that she was asked if Lilibet was okay with her and that she gave her permission.
I doubt if she was asked, but there's not much she can do. With a grandson who is a working royal, if she strongly disapproved of a chosen name and siad so, they might select another... but with Harry who always goes his own way and is now living in the US, I dont think she would bother saying "I dont like the idea" because it has no force whatsoever behind it.

Congrats to the happy family. :flowers:

I find the name Lilibet in itself a bit odd, but I´m not English and I´ve only ever connected the name as a nickname, but it´s growing on me. It´s a sweet name, named after two of the most important women in Harry´s life.

Under British Common Law, yes - as the legitimate daughter of a Duke she is "The Lady Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor" and her older brother is "Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor, commonly called Earl of Dumbarton." However, Harry and Meghan decided that their children would not use the normal courtesy titles of the children of a Duke - but they DO have them.

Thanks! Just a minor correction: "Lord Archie" is the courtesy title of a younger son of a duke. (Had Prince Harry been granted a dukedom without additional subsidiary titles, tradition would be to call his eldest son Lord Mountbatten-Windsor, not Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.)

In a legal document, the heir apparent of a Duke who used his father's earldom as a courtesy title would be called

Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor commonly called Earl of Dumbarton​

A legitimate daughter of a Duke who used the conventional courtesy title of Lady would be called in legal documents

Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor commonly called Lady Lili Mountbatten-Windsor​

See Debrett's Essential Guide to the Peerage.

However, because the Sussexes chose for their children not to use courtesy titles, they would simply be called Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor and Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor in legal documents. This is how Archie was called in his British birth certificate.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...icate-reveals-Meghan-gave-birth-Portland.html

Saw somewhere that the domain lilibetdiana.com was registered on June 4. Is that H&M? It was registered by the same Arizona company that registered sussexroyal.com, sussexroyal.org, archewell.com, archewell.org.

Interestingly, lilibetdiana.org was registered today June 6 by a college apartment in Oregon?

Can we check if they registered or trademarked anything else?

It was probably registered by them or one of their staff. I kind of want to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they registered it to prevent others from doing so after the announcement and putting up a joke or inappropriate website. But with these two...we know they registered Archewell and other associated names in the same way before Archie's birth.

I doubt if she was asked, but there's not much she can do. With a grandson who is a working royal, if she strongly disapproved of a chosen name and siad so, they might select another... but with Harry who always goes his own way and is now living in the US, I dont think she would bother saying "I dont like the idea" because it has no force whatsoever behind it.

I doubt she was asked, even the article says "told". And they probably would continue even if expressed reservations because that's the way they've operated even before they left being working royals.

I don't understand why they didn't side step this very *obvious* ploy and go straight to "Lily" explaining that it's a tribute to Lilibet without appropriating a private nickname.

I

I doubt she was asked, even the article says "told". And they probably would continue even if expressed reservations because that's the way they've operated even before they left being working royals.

I don't understand why they didn't side step this very *obvious* ploy and go straight to "Lily" explaining that it's a tribute to Lilibet without appropriating a private nickname.
I dont think that that it is that difficult to understand "why". Same reason that they have chatted about how they talk to the queen about A's present at Xmas and how Philip amusingly shut down the computer rather than signing off a chat. They need to remind people that they are of the RF, and that they call the queen Granny and talk to her regularly. They dont apparently feel that it is odd to do all that and yet claim that the RF is quite heartless and drove them to breakdown and showed no sympathy. They know that the queen will try and tolerate them and wont answer back publicly when she's maligned...
I think they liked the name Lily, but thought it would be a good idea to link it with the queen.. so using her family pet name was a good bet and quite unique. Im sure there are no other Lilibets out there.
I doubt if the queen likes it, but compared with their interviews and what they've come out with, i suppose she thinks it is not so bad....

It was probably registered by them or one of their staff. I kind of want to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they registered it to prevent others from doing so after the announcement and putting up a joke or inappropriate website. But with these two...we know they registered Archewell and other associated names in the same way before Archie's birth.

Lilibet Diana is actually a nice name. It is not very original though considering that, barring the nickname, they repeated the names of their niece (Charlotte Elizabeth Diana). That might reflect the Sussexes' insecurity and their inferiority complex in relation to the Cambridges. I am sorry to sat that, but it is what it looks like to me.

Lilibet Diana is actually a nice name. It is not very original though considering that, barring the nickname, they repeated the names of their niece (Charlotte Elizabeth Diana). That might reflect the Sussexes' insecurity and their inferiority complex in relation to the Cambridges. I am sorry to sat that, but it is what it looks like to me.

I don’t think that’s the case. Earlier in this thread someone listed all of the female descendants that use “Elizabeth” - I believe it was almost all of the first-born daughters? If I was descended from HM, I’d definitely want to honor that with a naming. As for “Diana” I think both William and Harry had always planned on honoring her if they had a daughter, and so they have. I don’t see it as any sort of reaction to the Cambridges,

Well they were a bit stuck.. I'm sure both wanted to honour Diana and most royals name one child after the queen. So that left Harry with the names Elizabeth and Diana.. so if he'd gone for Mary Elizabeth Diana it would be very similar to Wil's daughters name pattern. unless he used one of the queens other names to reference her, such as X Alexandra Diana or X Mary Diana...

I dont think that that it is that difficult to understand "why". Same reason that they have chatted about how they talk to the queen about A's present at Xmas and how Philip amusingly shut down the computer rather than signing off a chat. They need to remind people that they are of the RF, and that they call the queen Granny and talk to her regularly. They dont apparently feel that it is odd to do all that and yet claim that the RF is quite heartless and drove them to breakdown and showed no sympathy. They know that the queen will try and tolerate them and wont answer back publicly when she's maligned...
I think they liked the name Lily, but thought it would be a good idea to link it with the queen.. so using her family pet name was a good bet and quite unique. Im sure there are no other Lilibets out there.
I doubt if the queen likes it, but compared with their interviews and what they've come out with, i suppose she thinks it is not so bad....

I agree. They have spent the past few weeks tearing the royal family apart, including the Queen, but now they all of a sudden think so much of her that they want to name their baby using a very personal name only used by HM. This smacks of nothing more than trying to needle the family and, as you said, remind the World of their connection to the BRF as that is their main selling point.

Non-essential travel between the UK and the US is still being strongly discouraged. It's not actually illegal, as long as you take PCR tests - although I've got no idea how that would work for a baby or a toddler - and quarantine on arrival, but you're not really supposed to travel. Attending a grandparent's funeral is obviously classed as essential travel, as is attending a business meeting - which is why the G7 leaders are allowed in (I'm not entirely convinced that accompanying a spouse who is attending a business meeting is essential travel, but evidently the powers that be have decided that it is!) - but I think that unveiling a statue would be pushing it.

I don’t think that’s the case. Earlier in this thread someone listed all of the female descendants that use “Elizabeth” - I believe it was almost all of the first-born daughters? If I was descended from HM, I’d definitely want to honor that with a naming. As for “Diana” I think both William and Harry had always planned on honoring her if they had a daughter, and so they have. I don’t see it as any sort of reaction to the Cambridges,

Many of HM's descendants have Elizabeth for obvious reasons (HM is also named after her mother, grandmother and Great Grandmother) and it's also very understandable that both sons want to honour their mother. And with Harry and Meghan using only two names it's more difficult to fit everyone in or make things a bit different.

It's certainly not unusual in families that all honour the same relatives to have very similar names, and that's especially true for royal families.

The only thing that makes me wonder if it's connected to the Cambridges just a little is the fact that a few months before Archie was born there were articles talking about how someone had met George in the park and he introduced himself as "Archie" leading to the revelation that it was a private family nickname for George which was then used as a first name by the Sussexes. Which is exactly what just happened with Lilibet. Then the Elizabeth Diana part is also noticeable. But it's all speculation.

I would have preferred straight up Lily, Eliza or even Alexandra which has a variety of cute nicknames. But obviously they didn't consult me. ;)

Non-essential travel between the UK and the US is still being strongly discouraged. It's not actually illegal, as long as you take PCR tests - although I've got no idea how that would work for a baby or a toddler - but I think that unveiling a statue would be pushing it.

I assume that Harry does intend to come.. I think that was always meant to be, but he doesn't need to bring his wife and kids. If he cant come, I think that the opening of the statue will be left for longer...
The statue has been in production for a long time adn I think it would be odd to unveil it wihtout both sons being there...

Last edited:
Many of HM's descendants have Elizabeth for obvious reasons (HM is also named after her mother, grandmother and Great Grandmother) and it's also very understandable that both sons want to honour their mother. And with Harry and Meghan using only two names it's more difficult to fit everyone in or make things a bit different.

It's certainly not unusual in families that all honour the same relatives to have very similar names, and that's especially true for royal families.

The only thing that makes me wonder if it's connected to the Cambridges just a little is the fact that a few months before Archie was born there were articles talking about how someone had met George in the park and he introduced himself as "Archie" leading to the revelation that it was a private family nickname for George which was then used as a first name by the Sussexes. Which is exactly what just happened with Lilibet. Then the Elizabeth Diana part is also noticeable. But it's all speculation.

I would have preferred straight up Lily, Eliza or even Alexandra which has a variety of cute nicknames. But obviously they didn't consult me. ;)
I think that sticking iwth the American habit of only 2 names does restrict them.. but that's what they want to do. I agree that I think there were better choices than Lilibet.. THey could have (SInce I guess they like Lily) have gone for Lily Alexandra Diana...

Lilli is actually a pretty name and goes well with Archie and is quite popular now.

But can I please hope that they'll now stop attacking everything her great-grandmother holds dear now that they've proven that they want to be connected with royalty? Anyone want to take a bet? ;)

We can hope, but don't hold your breath. Like others I rolled my eyes at the name after doing nothing but attacking the BRF. :flowers:

Yes, Eugenie wholeheartedly congratulated Harry and Meghan on her IG today. Very sweet. Maybe August, Archie and Lili will meet later this year.

Harry's cousin shared her delight at the news as she posted on Instragram this evening: "Congratulations dear cousins...we couldn't be happier for you all", followed by a string of heart emojis.

Sounds like Eugenie. She likes social media, comes across as very family oriented IMO (her wedding party is a great example), and of course, a baby is a happy occasion. So....about what I expected.

As for the baby cousins meeting soon, we’ll see. I highly doubt the statue will include Meghan and the kids. A bit soon after Lily’s birth IMO. They’ve never seemed to have an over- whelming desire to go to balmoral. Christmas? Maybe. Some of this naturally depends on COVID.

We can hope, but don't hold your breath. Like others I rolled my eyes at the name after doing nothing but attacking the BRF. :flowers:

If it hadn’t been for all of the recent, repeated attacks which do the exact opposite of honoring his grandmother - Harry just criticized his grandmother’s parenting skills a few weeks ago- I would have wholeheartedly thought it was a lovely and unique idea to use HM’s nickname as their daughter’s first name. No one else has done it. I presume they like the nickname Lili too- which is cute IMO. It flows well with Archie too.

If they’d just done what they actually said they’d do at the time of the exit, I’d see this differently.

I think that sticking iwth the American habit of only 2 names does restrict them.. but that's what they want to do. I agree that I think there were better choices than Lilibet.. THey could have (SInce I guess they like Lily) have gone for Lily Alexandra Diana...

Or Lilibet Diana. That is the name they liked and gave her.

I wouldn't expect Meghan to attend the statue unveiling. I saw Camilla Tominey suggest they make arrangements if William has Kate and the kids attending, so Harry wouldn't feel outnumbered and his family left out, but I don't agree with her.

My guess is that the entire Sussex family will visit later this year. Most likely spend the summer in the states.

If it hadn’t been for all of the recent, repeated attacks which do the exact opposite of honoring his grandmother - Harry just criticized his grandmother’s parenting skills a few weeks ago- I would have wholeheartedly thought it was a lovely and unique idea to use HM’s nickname as their daughter’s first name. No one else has done it. I presume they like the nickname Lili too- which is cute IMO. It flows well with Archie too.

If they’d just done what they actually said they’d do at the time of the exit, I’d see this differently.

Exactly! It comes across as insincere .

I agree. They have spent the past few weeks tearing the royal family apart, including the Queen, but now they all of a sudden think so much of her that they want to name their baby using a very personal name only used by HM. This smacks of nothing more than trying to needle the family and, as you said, remind the World of their connection to the BRF as that is their main selling point.

And its the obvious nature of this ploy from the Sussex playbook that will always be remembered. The family are now known as celebrities that happen to be royal relations. NOT private persons known for their humanitarian works, elegant citizens of the world, fulfilling their deepest altruistic goals. Quite a departure from what was announced when they left the UK.

And its the obvious nature of this ploy from the Sussex playbook that will always be remembered. The family are now known as celebrities that happen to be royal relations. NOT private persons known for their humanitarian works, elegant citizens of the world, fulfilling their deepest altruistic goals. Quite a departure from what was announced when they left the UK.
Was it? I recall that they said they wanted to leave to make a professional income. They may have mentioned "altruistic" stuff as well, but they could have done the philanthropy without quitting the UK or the RF.. or without "looking to make a professional income".

Well. I'm happy to hear that the baby arrived healthy and safely.

As for her name, well, what more would anyone expect. While I think we all expected her middle name to be Diana and rightly so, that first name is really something. I do think Lily would have been a nice choice. Still a tribute to HM if they really wanted to go there and sounds fabulous with Archie. However, using Lilibet is really a step too far. This was a private family nickname and while we've known for years that it was, indeed, HM's nickname, it was held for private use only by her absolute nearest and dearest. The use of it here feels intrusive and awkward, like we've stumbled into a private conversation not meant for our ears. And for the record, I would feel that way if any of HM's grandchildren used the name, not just these two. And that's to say nothing of the fact that it feels very contrived, calculated, disingenuous, and insincere. To have conscripted such a private and intimate thing for public consumption just feels...wrong. It would feel wrong no matter who chose to do it but in this case, from these two, it absolutely feels like the worst kind of PR stunt. I do wonder how it all went down behind palace walls.

Considering that the congratulations posts from the family felt a bit cool and reserved I'd wonder if it might not be going over terribly well. Or maybe that was just the fact that the two people who have gone out of their way to bash the monarchy and the entire family felt the need to conscript an intimate family nickname and then release the information on an official press release with a royal monogram at the top. :whistling:

Last edited:
Well. I'm happy to hear that the baby arrived healthy and safely. As for her name, well, what more would anyone expect. While I think we all expected her middle name to be Diana and rightly so, that first name is really something. I do think Lily would have been a nice choice. Still a tribute to HM if they really wanted to go there and sounds fabulous with Archie. However, using Lilibet is really a step too far. This was a private family nickname and while we've known for years that it was, indeed, HM's nickname, it was held for private use only by her absolute nearest and dearest. The use of it here feels intrusive and awkward, like we've stumbled into a private conversation not meant for our ears. And for the record, I would feel that way if any of HM's grandchildren used the name, not just these two. And that's to say nothing of the fact that it feels very contrived, calculated, disingenuous, and insincere. To have conscripted such a private and intimate thing for public consumption just feels...wrong. It would feel wrong no matter who chose to do it but in this case, from these two, it absolutely feels like the worst kind of PR stunt. I do wonder how it all went down behind behind palace walls. Considering that the congratulations posts from the family felt a bit cool and reserved I'd wonder if it might not be going over terribly well. Or maybe that was just the fact that the two people who have gone out of their way to bash the monarchy and the entire family felt the need to conscript an intimate family nickname and then release the information on an official press release with a royal monogram at the top. :whistling:

Had another family member used this name for their child it would have been an interesting choice. Had it been Zara, for example, it would have come across as being selected with the deepest affection but, as we all know, none of the Queen's family have used this as it's hugely personal to HM alone. To therefore have Harry and Meghan do it, ie people who have slated Harry's family for the past 6 or so weeks, looks like a passive aggressive move to actually cheese the Queen and the rest of the family off.They wanted out so they really should move on and stop with this kind of nonsense.

Last edited:
Had another family member used this name for their child it would have been an interesting choice. Had it been Zara, for example, it would have come across as being selected with the deepest affection but, as we all know, none of the Queen's family have used this as it's hugely personal to HM alone. To therefore have Harry and Meghan do it, ie people who have slated Harry's family for the past 6 or so weeks, looks like a passive aggressive move to actually cheese the Queen and the rest of the family off.
I dont think that Zara or the other younger royals would do this. I dont much like the names Z and Mike have chosen for their girls, as they're abbreviations and I dont really like these. But to honour HM, Zara chose "Lena Elizabeth" not "Lena Lillibet"....

I dont think that Zara or the other younger royals would do this. I dont much like the names Z and Mike have chosen for their girls, as they're abbreviations and I dont really like these. But to honour HM, Zara chose "Lena Elizabeth" not "Lena Lillibet"....

That's my point. Even those family members who haven't sat down with Oprah and attacked the Queen wouldn't call their child Lilibet yet here we have H and M doing so. You couldn't make it up.

Last edited:
!

Was it? I recall that they said they wanted to leave to make a professional income. They may have mentioned "altruistic" stuff as well, but they could have done the philanthropy without quitting the UK or the RF.. or without "looking to make a professional income".

I don't see "private citizens" and making a "professional income" as mutually exclusive---but it may be my wording as an American that is lacking here. In my part of the US "private" is used much the same as the term "civilian" meaning non-military, non-governmental, non-position of authority. I should have been more explicit and said "non-royals" living low-key out-of-the-spotlight lives.

Be patient with me, friend. I'm just now getting the hang of hollering Oi!!! at my family. Twenty more years of watching BritBox and I should be proficient.:lol:

Whatever the motives behind it, it smacks (and reinforces) that H&M are neither creative nor secure enough to give their child a name that doesn't tie them all to the institution they've been professing to flee for the past year and a half, or even to allow their newborn daughter that freedom.

At worst, it's a deliberately cynical and calculated slap/cash-in.

Last edited:
I don't see "private citizens" and making a "professional income" as mutually exclusive---but it may be my wording as an American that is lacking here. In my part of the US "private" is used much the same as the term "civilian" meaning non-military, non-governmental, non-position of authority. I should have been more explicit and said "non-royals" living low-key out-of-the-spotlight lives.

Be patient with me, friend. I'm just now getting the hang of hollering Oi!!! at my family. Twenty more years of watching BritBox and I should be proficient.:lol:

Sorry I meant the point being that they quit royal life, to make money. They said this.. so it wasn't to "lead a quiet life away from the media", or to devote themselves to charity work. So what they are doing IS what they wanted to do and said, when they left. I admit that I didn't expect them to start talking about the RF's private life, and bashing the RF, in the way they did, but I did expect that they had to do SOMETHING of a commerical nature, to make the money that they need for thier lifestyle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom