The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 06-06-2021, 03:58 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Monte Carlo, United States
Posts: 15
Wow so much vitriol about them honoring their grandmother by naming their daughter her unusual nickname. I even saw someone say that the child will be mocked for the old-fashioned name.

I just named my duaghter after my grandmother Andoria but we will call her Anne which was is my grandmothers nickname which I’ve never called her obviously but she was incredibly honored by it.

The H&M disdained has is...odd. Let’s not talk horrible about a child’s name, folks.
__________________

  #102  
Old 06-06-2021, 03:58 PM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I wonder, though why we accept the name "Elizabeth" for a girl as a tribute to HM, when no polite person calls her "Elizabeth" at all, her family use "Lilibet" and all the others use HM. I mean, how many of us use "Kate" instead of Catherine for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge?And now the grandson of a lady called "LIlibet" in her family uses that to name his daughter who won't probably ever be queen and it's not okay?
Well, for one, they've spent months trashing the entire BRF and the system so at this point I'd feel a little bit iffy about even Elizabeth. But a nickname is much more intimate than someone's formal given name, especially when that person is a public figure.

I would NEVER dream of referring to the Queen as Lilibet. It reeks of disrespect to me. I do refer to Catherine as Kate on occasion because that's how she was first introduced to us but I am trying to break myself of that as she will one day be the Queen.
__________________

  #103  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:01 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Monte Carlo, United States
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I wonder, though why we accept the name "Elizabeth" for a girl as a tribute to HM, when no polite person calls her "Elizabeth" at all, her family use "Lilibet" and all the others use HM. I mean, how many of us use "Kate" instead of Catherine for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge?And now the grandson of a lady called "LIlibet" in her family uses that to name his daughter who won't probably ever be queen and it's not okay?


This is a very good point. Calling HM anything other than HM is rather intimate in and of itself. Let’s not make a mole out of nothing here. Harry is certainly more adept to know how to honor his grandmother than us folk out of the family after all.
  #104  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
How do we know the Queen isn’t highly delighted that her great-granddaughter is going to have her childhood name? Why regard it as an insult?

And CH, KP and The Royal Family Twitter accounts sent warm congratulations very quickly. As did Boris Johnson and others. They were happy for this little family.

It's true, we have no idea how HM feels and since she's not going to say if she's not, we'll never really know. She could be delighted.

However I personally regard it as at best a loaded choice both given that a) it's an intimate nickname for close family and friends and b) because whilst they profess to respect and love HM and chat regularly, they've spent they last year and a half trying to tear down everything she's worked for her whole life, including recently saying Harry has genetic pain from her bad parenting and that they "had" to flee to break free from the toxicity. To say that and give that name seems disingenuous.

Why not just Lily or including her mother as well? Some nickname for Elizabeth that isn't HM's would be better if they wanted to go that route.

As for the royal accounts reacting with warm congratulations within a couple of hours? What else were they supposed to do? It would have been 100 times more surprising if they hadn't. And I'm sure they are happy and relieved she and her mum are safe and healthy.
  #105  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:02 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,354
But the Queen is Harry’s grandmother, his Grannie who he’s known all his life. She’s not some formal public figure to him.
  #106  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:02 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 31,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think most people guessed Diana and a lot of people mentioned Lily. Lilibet no..
Sorry I should have clarified I meant the first name Lilibet.
  #107  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:04 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Monte Carlo, United States
Posts: 15
All of the social channels are posting the name Lilibet which I think we can all assume means there is no ill-feelings about the name from the family.
  #108  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:06 PM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
It's true, we have no idea how HM feels and since she's not going to say if she's not, we'll never really know. She could be delighted.

However I personally regard it as at best a loaded choice both given that a) it's an intimate nickname for close family and friends and b) because whilst they profess to respect and love HM and chat regularly, they've spent they last year and a half trying to tear down everything she's worked for her whole life, including recently saying Harry has genetic pain from her bad parenting and that they "had" to flee to break free from the toxicity. To say that and give that name seems disingenuous.

Why not just Lily or including her mother as well? Some nickname for Elizabeth that isn't HM's would be better if they wanted to go that route.

As for the royal accounts reacting with warm congratulations within a couple of hours? What else were they supposed to do? It would have been 100 times more surprising if they hadn't. And I'm sure they are happy and relieved she and her mum are safe and healthy.
You summed it up beautifully.
  #109  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:14 PM
Leopoldine's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 829
At least they didn't name the baby Cabbage!

IMHO "Lilibet" does not seem to be employed as a tribute, I see it more as another swipe at the monarchy.
  #110  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:15 PM
Royalist.in.NC's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Nowheresville, United States
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Glad she's been born safely and mum and baby are well. But wow with the name.

For two people who really claim to hate everything about the family and have spent the last year trying to destroy everything HM holds dear, they're laying it on really thick and not in a good way. It's also a little presumptuous to use a private family nickname unless you've asked permission and I kind of doubt they had.

Not surprised about Diana of course.
I agree with you 1000% about the name. I seriously doubt they asked for permission - I think it is intrusive. They could have just named her Lili Diana and SAID that Lili was honoring the Queen’s family nickname - but to name her a private family nickname.....These two are unbelievable!!! To do what they’ve done and then have the gall to use this name!

A nickname for Elizabeth in my family (her sister couldn’t say it): Bibeth. But as a real name??? Never!

Lili Diana is very sweet. Even with my shock of hearing the first name, I am glad to hear that both mother and baby are doing well
  #111  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:18 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,354
I disagree. I think Harry intended the name as a tribute to his grandmother, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she is pleased. I think the baby will be referred to ad Lili 99% of the time anyway, which I think is a very pretty name. I wish this little family all the best.
  #112  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:19 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Monte Carlo, United States
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
At least they didn't name the baby Cabbage!

IMHO "Lilibet" does not seem to be employed as a tribute, I see it more as another swipe at the monarchy.


You think they decided on their child’s name based on how to swipe the monarchy? Let’s use some humanity and common sense here. No one would do that.
  #113  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:20 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
At least they didn't name the baby Cabbage!

IMHO "Lilibet" does not seem to be employed as a tribute, I see it more as another swipe at the monarchy.
I'd say more a way of "proving" how intimate they are with the queen (In spite of her apparent shortcomings as a parent). Like they told how she got Archie a waffle iron and that Philip cuts off calls by closing the computer.. Its all to say that they are intimate with the RF....
  #114  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:20 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Monte Carlo, United States
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
I agree with you 1000% about the name. I seriously doubt they asked for permission - I think it is intrusive. They could have just named her Lili Diana and SAID that Lili was honoring the Queen’s family nickname - but to name her a private family nickname.....These two are unbelievable!!! To do what they’ve done and then have the gall to use this name!



A nickname for Elizabeth in my family (her sister couldn’t say it): Bibeth. But as a real name??? Never!



Lili Diana is very sweet. Even with my shock of hearing the first name, I am glad to hear that both mother and baby are doing well


Everyone keeps saying Lilibet is a “private” name, yet we ALL know it is HMs nickname.
  #115  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:21 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,388
Congratulations on the birth of a healthy baby girl, and I'm glad Meghan is doing well.

I find the choice of name incredibly cynical, and in my personal opinion a clear attempt to stay in the royal limelight. I cannot match the attitude both Henry and Meghan have outspokenly portrayed, verbally, since leaving the royal family and "honouring" The Queen with the use of her incredibly personal and heartfelt nickname used by her beloved husband and family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJenkins View Post
Everyone keeps saying Lilibet is a “private” name, yet we ALL know it is HMs nickname.
I don't believe the word "private" means that everyone doesn't know. Lilibet isn't a typical name for the given name Elizabeth, it is one used by her family only. It's incredibly private in that manner.

Lilibet will now become one of those Top 10 names in the next couple of years, in my opinion ruining the private nature of the name.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #116  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:22 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJenkins View Post
Everyone keeps saying Lilibet is a “private” name, yet we ALL know it is HMs nickname.
It is private in the sense that only those close to the queen use it...
  #117  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:24 PM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJenkins View Post
Everyone keeps saying Lilibet is a “private” name, yet we ALL know it is HMs nickname.
It is private in that only close friends and family members are allowed to call HM that. We might all know the nickname but I doubt any of us would dare call the Queen Lilibet to her face that is what makes it private.
  #118  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:28 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Monte Carlo, United States
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
It is private in that only close friends and family members are allowed to call HM that. We might all know the nickname but I doubt any of us would dare call the Queen Lilibet to her face that is what makes it private.


So certainly her GRANDSON is entitled to honor his grandmother that way. He isn’t asking anyone to call HM Lilibet. And just because it’s HMs nickname, it’s cynical and dishonorable to use it again? How does that make any sense? Especially when they’ve made clear she will be called Lili.
  #119  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:29 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJenkins View Post
So certainly her GRANDSON is entitled to honor his grandmother that way. He isn’t asking anyone to call HM Lilibet. And just because it’s HMs nickname, it’s cynical and dishonorable to use it again? How does that make any sense? Especially when they’ve made clear she will be called Lili.
Its cynical to use it, because its not 2 weeks since he was attacking the RF in general and claiming that the queen and Philip were not good parents, and that Charles hadn't been a good parent to him.
  #120  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:30 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Monte Carlo, United States
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Congratulations on the birth of a healthy baby girl, and I'm glad Meghan is doing well.

I find the choice of name incredibly cynical, and in my personal opinion a clear attempt to stay in the royal limelight. I cannot match the attitude both Henry and Meghan have outspokenly portrayed, verbally, since leaving the royal family and "honouring" The Queen with the use of her incredibly personal and heartfelt nickname given to her by her beloved husband.



I don't believe the word "private" means that everyone doesn't know. Lilibet isn't a typical name for the given name Elizabeth, it was one given to Elizabeth by Philip. It's incredibly private in that manner.

Lilibet will now become one of those Top 10 names in the next couple of years, in my opinion ruining the private nature of the name.


Lilibet was not given to HM by Philip. She created that nickname because Elizabeth was hard for her when she was younger. Lilibet will not become top 10 names. Perhaps Lili. Lilibet is too unique.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
birth, harry and meghan


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Birth of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor: May 6, 2019 JessRulz The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 1495 04-04-2020 06:26 AM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi america archie mountbatten-windsor asian baptism biography birth britain britannia british royal family brownbitcoinqueen buckingham palace camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing colorblindness commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii family life family tree george vi gustaf vi adolf highgrove jack brooksbank jewellery king juan carlos king willem-alexander książ castle liechtenstein line of succession list of rulers luxembourg medical meghan markle monarchy mongolia nepal nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess ribha queen consort queen maxima queen victoria royal ancestry spain speech sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan thailand tradition unfinished portrait united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×