The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 09:21 AM
Serene Highness

To be sure the BBC headline was tabloid-ish and click-baity to give the impression that The Queen was not consulted at all. The key point that the BBC makes in the article itself is that there were reports that the Sussexes informed The Queen prior to Lili's birth, and according to the BBC The Queen was informed after Lili's birth about what the Sussexes wanted to name the baby. And Omid Scobie's tweets / comments basically confirm that The Queen was informed after Lili's birth. So my take is that the Sussexes rang up The Queen and said [my made up words], "Hey Granny, just calling to let you know our baby girl is here, we're gonna name her Lilibet Diana and call her Lili, mmkay?"

Old 06-09-2021, 09:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Seriously?! I’d say this is unbelievable.
They are fighting back against a sensationalist media which feeds on people for its own ends, exactly as Diana and Caroline of Monaco did when they had enough of the media's intrusive, excessive and unrelenting coverage. This no doubt has a lot to do with Harry's indignation and disgust with the media over the recent Bashir/Diana revelations.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I mean why wouldn't they response? Their little girl's name is being thrown all over the media. They are protective of their kids and people are in a way attacking her. She 5 days old has had the most vile crap said about her.

The fact the palace is briefing against an infant is pretty wild to me but here we are in another drama between the Sussexes and the palace over a baby's name.

It was inevitable.
? Nobody is saying anything against the baby, it is the names that her parents have given her, which were bound to produce discussion if not controversy, that are being discussed. The palace is not "briefing against an infant.." they are questioning the statement by the Sussexes that they had the Queen's approval for the name.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Seriously?! I’d say this is unbelievable….but it’s not. This drags HM into this mess. That’s…..kind.
No the BBC did that when a reporter went on air and said the palace source is saying the Queen authorized the briefing.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
I don’t think that we created it here. Have you looked at the BBC today?
My point was it is a deliberately concocted controversy, like so much insubstantial media and social media click-bait.

There is so much legitimate world news to get fired-up about - Lilibet-gate is 100% stoked-up fluff for the benefit of the media.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:34 AM
Commoner

Quote:
No the BBC did that when a reporter went on air and said the palace source is saying the Queen authorized the briefing.
Umm, have you heard of something called freedom of press?
Old 06-09-2021, 09:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinka View Post
Does the Queen have trademark on the name?
You were the one claiming that you've come across the name countless other times, so it shouldn't be too hard to name at least 5-10 of those countless others that use this name. Seems a reasonable request from Denville - as I and probably most others have never seen it used in any other context, so it would be helpful if you could support your claim with evidence.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
? Nobody is saying anything against the baby, it is the names that her parents have given her, which were bound to produce discussion if not controversy, that are being discussed. The palace is not "briefing against an infant.." they are questioning the statement by the Sussexes that they had the Queen's approval for the name.
Didn't two people get fired for being racist as hell about her? I am talking overall. She has been alive for 5 days and the only peace she has had was the two days we didn't know she existed.

It really is a shame that people are this riled up over an infant's name. It does not make sense to me and frankly I don't blame anyone for being confused. Watching the conversations on TV and I am like "Is this really happening?"
Old 06-09-2021, 09:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biset View Post
Umm, have you heard of something called freedom of press?
Have a denied them that? Someone said the Sussexes were dragging HMQ into the drama. I corrected them and said the BBC did. It is their story and claim. They can write what they want. And the Sussexes can respond the same.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Palace source denies that Harry and Meghan asked the Queen to use Lilibet name.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57408163

Sussex spokesperson claims, however, that the Queen was the first member of the Family to be informed of the chosen name and was " supportive ".

The two statements are not necessarily mutually exclusive or contradictory.
Being 'supportive' that your great-granddaughter is named after you sounds rather distant; something that you don't really have a choice in because the alternative would be to be unsupportive, which isn't an option in that position. You would hope that she would have been 'delighted' if she truly liked her pet name to be used by her great-granddaughter by her third grandson whose new professional life unfortunately consists of bashing her, her family and her life's work.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:43 AM
Majesty

It's a very rare name

According to the most recent data from the UK's Office for National Statistics, no baby girls born in England or Wales in 2019 were named Lilibet — but there were four Lilibeths.
However, the second Baby Sussex's nickname is very on trend, with Lily being ranked the ninth most popular girl's name in 2019.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:45 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Have a denied them that? Someone said the Sussexes were dragging HMQ into the drama. I corrected them and said the BBC did. It is their story and claim. They can write what they want. And the Sussexes can respond the same.
No, they claimed they asked permisson from the queen and BBC claimed they didn't. That's not dragging the queen into anything. Harry and Meghan did just that on their own.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if President Biden will be asked. His team has been asked about the Siussexes each time some big news story popped up and he is on his way to the UK now. Lili is an American member of the royal family. Will be interesting how he responds if they do.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
And now they're accusing the BBC of libel and defamation:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...ibet-xqblbxx7t
Not sure why it is 'libel'. Why do they consider it "a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation." that the BBC explains that within the family they called the queen first to share the news of her birth but did not ask for permission to use her name (note: they did not need her permission - and if they asked it would be like cornering her: it would be very hard to withhold permission as that would further deteriorate relationships and they could still do as they please and build a whole different story around it).

I guess it mainly tells us that they know that the BBC is taken seriously; next to them broadening their fight from tabloids to the press in general.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:50 AM
Nobility

I don’t understand all this fuss ! Even if they had named the baby Lilibeth without asking HMQ maybe they wanted to make her a surprise ! And they are free to give their own Baby whatever name they wish even if it is to underline their royal connections ! Give them a break !
Old 06-09-2021, 09:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I would have liked it better when the parents announced: "Her names are Elizabeth Diana. We call her Lilibet."

When the late Prince Claus registered his firstborn to the Mayor of Utrecht he litterally said (as was broadcast on TV): "His names are Willem-Alexander Claus Georg Ferdinand. We call him: Alexander".

By doing so it would be more stylish, it would have had more cachet, after all we are talking about a future Princess of the blood royal, no matter she will use her rightful title or not. "HRH Princess Lili of Sussex" is really too Barbie-esque.
But they are calling her 'Lili' not Lilibet. And this is what they stated by putting Lili between apostrophes, so that would be equal to "Her names are Lilibet Diana. We call her: Lili."
Old 06-09-2021, 09:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Being 'supportive' that your great-granddaughter is named after you sounds rather distant; something that you don't really have a choice in because the alternative would be to be unsupportive, which isn't an option in that position. You would hope that she would have been 'delighted' if she truly liked her pet name to be used by her great-granddaughter by her third grandson whose new professional life unfortunately consists of bashing her, her family and her life's work.
It does read, and feel, rather like she was backed into a corner. Sure, she could have flat out told them not to do it but the reality is that they probably wouldn't have listened or, if they did, that would have been the next story from Gayle King with headlines screaming "Harry and Meghan say the Queen is alienating them, wouldn't allow them to use her nickname for new baby, all the others got to name babies after her, etc." while conveniently forgetting that all the others used her full (and very common) name. And, frankly, the statements coming from the Montecito camp seem rather generic for something being used as a defense. Did they specifically share with her that they hoped to name her Lilibet and ask for her permission? Or did they share with her only that they hoped to name their daughter after her? Because those are two very different things.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addapalla View Post
My point was it is a deliberately concocted controversy, like so much insubstantial media and social media click-bait.

There is so much legitimate world news to get fired-up about - Lilibet-gate is 100% stoked-up fluff for the benefit of the media.
I absolutely agree there are far more important things going on in the world than the drama over this newborn’s name.

But I’m not sure who/m you are suggesting started the drama?
Old 06-09-2021, 09:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Do H&M really think they are enhancing their brand by this unnecessary and tawdry skirmish?
Old 06-09-2021, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biset View Post
No, they claimed they asked permisson from the queen and BBC claimed they didn't. That's not dragging the queen into anything. Harry and Meghan did just that on their own.
A reporter on Victoria Derbyshire's show literally said "The Queen would have given the authorization to source to brief the BBC."

Umm... why put them on record unofficially and not officially? Right now it is a lot of hearsay. All of it is ridiculous to me.

Closed Thread

Tags
birth, harry and meghan