Birth of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor: May 6, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At his birth Harry's name was announced as Henry but at the same time we were told he would be known as Harry. He has always been Harry.

Yes, that his parents intended to refer to him as Harry even in public. But his legal name was Henry. And if he chose to go by Henry as an adult, or even as a kid or teen when he had an opinion of his own, he had that choice. That was the point I was making.

I think it is quite unfair to give a child a name that is very very oddball, or soemthing that wont fit into adult life. This baby is going to be a Prince one day or at least a Duke.. and while Archie is ok for "what his friends call him", I dont think it fits well as "Prince Archie of Sussex..."
However I hardly think Archibald is much better, as there is the possibility htat he'll be nicknamed "Baldy"...
And Harrison isn't really an option is it, because his father is already known as Harry. I can't understand why they did not use Harry's name Henry as a second name..

I'm sorry but thank goodness they didn't name him Archibald. :lol:

What would happen if Harry didn't like the name Henry either? Fact is, it's the parents' decision. They shouldn't name their child something they didn't like out of fear that said child will grow up wanting a more traditional name. Heck, "Archie" is already a common first name and will be even more so by the time Archie is an adult.

Harry has 4 names, Im sure that among them all there is something he would like to use, or which has an attractive abbreviation he can use in private...

I think Archer Henry would have been more suitable. They could have still had their Archie ....but a little more polished.

Why Archer? It has no significance that I can see, and they didn't make any effort to honour either Megs family or the RF in the names

I think it is quite unfair to give a child a name that is very very oddball, or soemthing that wont fit into adult life. This baby is going to be a Prince one day or at least a Duke.. and while Archie is ok for "what his friends call him", I dont think it fits well as "Prince Archie of Sussex..."
However I hardly think Archibald is much better, as there is the possibility htat he'll be nicknamed "Baldy"...
And Harrison isn't really an option is it, because his father is already known as Harry. I can't understand why they did not use Harry's name Henry as a second name..

Names are my personal guilty pleasure. So much that at work we keep a list of extremely odd first, second, etc. names. Principessa for instance or Lindanette or Sheherozade... compared to the names on my list, Archie is downright dull. It’s not a name I would have chosen, but it’s not that bad. At least everyone knows how to pronounce it. ;) My personal favorite among royals lately has been Balthazar.

I wish they had named him Archibald Charles Philip Harrison Mountbatten Windsor officially and let it be known that they wish to call him Archie just like his father Harry/Henry

I'm just hoping for a new official photo of the little chap soon with his parents PLEASE. We haven't seen his hair/or lack thereof yet.

I love the names Harry & Meghan chose for their child, Archie Harrison.

Side note, my family member, Dave (not David) has 2 classmates, one named Archie & the other Harrison; Archie is sometimes called Arch, but Harrison prefers his name is not shortened.

I really like Harrison (most probably due to Harrison Ford because my mom is a huge fan of his).

I'm quite neutral about Archie. I don't like it. But, I don't dislike it either. Though I must confess that name never crossed my mind before, and I was a bit shocked to find out that they chose that name for their son (just like the same way it happened with Estelle, but with Estelle was more shocking because she'll be a Queen one day).

But, it will grow on me, just like George and Louis did. Of all the grandchildren of Charles, I remember that I liked Charlotte when it was announced. I remember that I thought George was too old-fashioned and too strong for a young child/baby. And I was disappointed with Louis, I was never that fond of that name. But, they all grew on me.

Indeed. I don't get why people think this is some huge difference, particularly given the circumstances. Archie is also already treated as if he is HRH so it's not like much will change if/when he becomes HRH.

That inconsistency exactly is my problem. You say that he is already treated as a royal highness, so why ask everyone to pretend he is not even the son of a royal duke?! It's madness.

I don't mind if they wanted their child to be a private citizen without any title. But, as other members said before, the treatment this child is receiving says otherwise. If they wanted to REALLY make his child a private citizen, then why the annoucements? Why were he presented to the press? Why was the pictures released? Sounds weird to me. That's why it's confusing for many people. This should've been black&white, or go full royal-mode with titles, etc., or go full private-mode without any media exposure...So, until Charles is King, this confusion will remain.

I'm just hoping for a new official photo of the little chap soon with his parents PLEASE. We haven't seen his hair/or lack thereof yet.

But they have given very clear indication that Archie is a private individual, and just happens to be the child of a working royal.. so I can't see why there should be official photos....

I think that Henry like William was chosen because it was a royal name that wasn't in use by any prince at the time. Henry Duke of Gloucester had died, and so had his son Prince William of Gloucester....

I don't mind if they wanted their child to be a private citizen without any title. But, as other members said before, the treatment this child is receiving says otherwise. If they wanted to REALLY make his child a private citizen, then why the annoucements? Why were he presented to the press? Why was the pictures released? Sounds weird to me. That's why it's confusing for many people. This should've been black&white, or go full royal-mode with titles, etc., or go full private-mode without any media exposure...So, until Charles is King, this confusion will remain.

But that's what they want to do. They said they wanted to keep the birth private.. but then went ahead with the photos a couple of days after. They chose unusual names.. and say that he;s not going to use the title Earl at present.. but in due course, he will be duke of Sussex and Probably Prince Archie...

At his birth Harry's name was announced as Henry but at the same time we were told he would be known as Harry. He has always been Harry.
That is a point that so many people choose to ignore. It is not and never was a nickname. Henry appears on legal documents such as his license and passport, but I believe that the 'Henry' was a sop to tradition by Charles and Diana as HM and Prince Philip were not ready for a Prince Harry.

In fact, IMO I believe the prpbably thought by the time he was school age he'd have grown out of Harry and be a proper 'Henry'. Harry and Meghan fulfilled his parent's dream when they named him Archie and, just like Harry, Archie has grown on me.

There are a lot of 'common names' out there now. In ten years every 3rd adult will be a Kaden/Braden/Hayden/Jayden/Trayden (I am sure I missed a few variations). How about Prince Jaden of Cambridge next?

Its not about fear. Its about a name that actually grows with a child. If Harry didn't like Henry he could stick with Harry just like he did. Or Hal, or any other nickname for Henry there is.

The point is, what if he didn't like either name? He could go with another nickname? Well so could Archie. Maybe he'll prefer Arch or Harrison when he gets older.

That inconsistency exactly is my problem. You say that he is already treated as a royal highness, so why ask everyone to pretend he is not even the son of a royal duke?! It's madness.

Is that really what they're doing? Saying a baby won't be using an earl title is not tantamount to saying they want anyone to pretend he's not the son of a royal duke, (as if that were even realistic), certainly not when there are reasons why they may not want him to use it.

I think H&M would have been just fine not presenting their child to the media. But we saw the uproar simply because they didn't want to do it on the steps of the hospital mere hours after birth. Perhaps the presentation was something that was requested of them by the Palace. No one is complaining that Lady Louise and Viscount Severn aren't using their HRH titles and they still get all the benefits that go along with the title.

I'm sure H&M looked at all the options for Archie, they have a lot more information & perspective than we do on the out side and decided on the one they felt was in his best interest.

Is that really what they're doing? Saying a baby won't be using an earl title is not tantamount to saying they want anyone to pretend he's not the son of a royal duke, (as if that were even realistic), certainly not when there are reasons why they may not want him to use it.

Yes, that is exactly what they are doing. Children of dukes are known as Lords and Ladies, while the eldest is formally known by the duke's first subsidiary title (and his eldest son by the duke's second subsidiary title).

Had they asked us to stick to Lord Archie, it could be argued that they just didn't want to stress he was the eldest son but now they chose not to acknowledge he is the son of a duke at all (while he is his heir!). And theoretically he will be a prince when his grandfather ascends the throne. So, all extremely inconsistent (even more so because they released a picture of Archie with the queen (a first for her greatgrandchildren) when they announced he was to be known as master Archie).

But I am curiuos what good reasons you think they had to make this unlogical decision.

:previous: Whether he becomes Prince Archie of Sussex isn’t up to them. The Queen obviously has no desire to intervene either way on this issue.

I think H&M would have been just fine not presenting their child to the media. But we saw the uproar simply because they didn't want to do it on the steps of the hospital mere hours after birth. Perhaps the presentation was something that was requested of them by the Palace. No one is complaining that Lady Louise and Viscount Severn aren't using their HRH titles and they still get all the benefits that go along with the title.

I'm sure H&M looked at all the options for Archie, they have a lot more information & perspective than we do on the out side and decided on the one they felt was in his best interest.

Lots of people called out the inconsistency on that as well and it has been heavily debated whether they are royal highnesses and just not use their rightful titles or whether they aren't. At least in their case it was announced in advance at their parent's wedding.

:previous: Whether he becomes Prince Archie of Sussex isn’t up to them. The Queen obviously has no desire to intervene either way on this issue.

I am quite sure that they know what is going to happen. And no matter what: he will one day be the duke of Sussex if he survives his father... but that is currently not acknowledged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am quite sure that they know what is going to happen. And no matter what: he will one day be the duke of Sussex if he survives his father... but that is currently not acknowledged.

I was addressing a different point regarding inconsistency, but ok. I don’t think not using a courtesy title is refusing to acknowledge he is one day going to be Duke of Sussex if he so choose. Just like they stressed for right now, he will just be Master Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. He can so choose to be known as Earl of Dumbarton when he’s older if that’s what he wants. Everyone knows Harry’s eldest son will be The Duke of Sussex after him. That’s not in question.

OTOH, whether or not he’ll be HRH Prince Archie of Sussex isn’t up to the parents. I’m honestly surprised The Queen didn’t express her wish as he would automatically becomes HRH when Charles is King.

This thread is about Archie, so the discussion surrounding the names and nicknames of other members of the BRF, is off-topic for this thread. If you wish to discuss the origins of royals names, you can do so here.

Posts discussing Archie’s citizenship have been move to Meghan's citizenship thread.

If you wish to continue the title discussion, please do so in the Titles and Styles thread.

The Canadian government will donate $100,000 to a designated Canadian charity to honor the birth of the newest member of the BRF. They did the same in 2013, 2015, and 2018 to celebrate the births of the Cambridge children.?

Canada to donate $100,000 to the Breakfast Club of Canada in honour of Archie Harrison’s birth – Royal Central

Fantastic :flowers: Great choice in charity. The donation will extend the program to five more schools and feed 500 more kids daily. Breakfast is so important to helping kids be able to concentrate and participate in school.

Canada gives two gifts for royal babies: a monetary donation and a physical gift.

George: got 100,000 to an undisclosed charity. Mukluks, a wool blanket and books in both languages.
Charlotte: got 100,000 to Immunize Canada, and a custom goose winter snow suit
Louis: 50,000 donation to 2 charities for children's mental health, and a traditional Haida blanket

I wonder if Archie will receive a blanket or something as well.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes but at least there was the option.

Perhaps a child named Archibald would choose to go as Archie even as an adult. Perhaps not. Perhaps in business and professional life he would think it not formal enough. But there would be the choice.

Harry could have grown up and decided he was tired of his childhood name and chosen to be referred to as Henry instead. He had that choice. Archie wont.

I never liked the name Estelle in Sweden, thought it too old fashioned. Much like Archibald seems to be. But at least both you could have younger nicknames for childhood.

Harry was always a cute nickname for a child who had a traditional name. Archie is just bad no matter for a royal child or a normal child. I can just imagine I'd they had a daughter they would name her something equally as bad like Agnus :sad:?

I think Archer Henry would have been more suitable. They could have still had their Archie ....but a little more polished.

I never thought of Archer but it is better than both Archie and Archibald.

Last edited:
When I was pregnant, I wasn’t really interested in suggestions from relatives or friends, nor did I care to hear criticism after the baby was named. It was our decision, and it is his name.
When people would ask what we were going to name him or her, I always said, if it’s a boy, Elvis; if a girl, Madonna. That stopped the conversation immediately.

Fantastic :flowers: Great choice in charity. The donation will extend the program to five more schools and feed 500 more kids daily. Breakfast is so important to helping kids be able to concentrate and participate in school.

Canada gives two gifts for royal babies: a monetary donation and a physical gift.

George: got 100,000 to an undisclosed charity. Mukluks, a wool blanket and books in both languages.
Charlotte: got 100,000 to Immunize Canada, and a custom goose winter snow suit
Louis: 50,000 donation to 2 charities for children's mental health, and a traditional Haida blanket

I wonder if Archie will receive a blanket or something as well.

Countessmeout-I wouldn't be surprised if there is a small handicraft or uniquely Canadian gift included for little Archie. ?

Countessmeout-I wouldn't be surprised if there is a small handicraft or uniquely Canadian gift included for little Archie. ?

Don't know if that counts but they received baby gifts when they visited Canada House for Commonwealth Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom