Birth of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor: May 6, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually no, the baby is Earl of Dumbarton, not Lord x Mountbatten- Windsor. That would be a second son. Yes, Harry and Meghan will choose his given names but not his title.

Medical professionals are obligated to protect their patients’ privacy, Royal or not.

He is not the earl of Dumbarton. Harry himself is. Nonetheless, his oldest son will be known as Earl of Dumbarton (at least for now - as a courtesy title) but technically he is Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor (if I understand all of it correctly). His younger brother (if he will have any) will indeed be and use lord X Mountbatten-Windsor..

Last edited:
Daily mail is now reporting the baby was born at Portland hospital

If that is true and Meghan and the baby are back at Windsor, she went in and out of the hospital in an amazingly short time.

EDIT: I just found out that the possible future Jacobite. heir to the thrones of England and Scotland, Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein, was also born at Portland hospital, which is quite interesting.

Last edited:
He is not the earl of Dumbarton. Harry himself is. Nonetheless, his oldest son will be known as Earl of Dumbarton (at least for now - as a courtesy title) but technically he is Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor (if I understand all of it correctly). His younger brother (if he will have any) will indeed be and use lord X Mountbatten-Windsor..

I think he is xxx Mountbatten-Windsor, Earl of Dumbarton. In conversation, he should be addressed as Lord Dumbarton , not Lord xxx or Lord xxx Mountbatten-Windsor .

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted with the news of the birth of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's son today, and look forward to meeting the latest addition to the family."

Via Kensington Palace Instagram

If that is true and Meghan and the baby are back at Windsor, she went in and out of the hospital in an amazingly short time.

No. I think there is a false sense of quickness due to the timing of the announcement. We didn't know until the afternoon that she went into labor in the early hours of morning. She had the baby at sunrise. There is time there. I think some said in UK, they only keep mothers for six hours. I did also wonder if the delayed announcement is to give them time to get home. I also found the Frogmore Cottage word to be a bit odd. But it doesn't matter really.

I'm just happy mom and baby are healthy and relaxing at home. Congrats to the couple for pulling this off. :lol:

Niagara Falls will shine blue Monday to mark royal birth

Niagara Falls will be illuminated in 'royal' blue Monday evening to commemorate the birth of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's newborn son. The Niagara Falls Illumination Board will light the falls a shimmering blue between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. tonight.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/falls-royal-birth-blue-1.5125083

That's really pretty. :wub:

Speaking of Canada, Justin Trudeau also tweeted out a message of congratulations earlier.

Last edited:
Just woke up to the wonderful news at long last they have a baby boy. I am very pleased that Prince Harry spoke to the media to give us his thoughts.
Congratulations to the couple over their beautiful bundle of joy. And i look forward to Wednesday when Harry himself said they will release photo's.
An exciting time for Harry and Meghan and to share the news with family and friends.

It's not up to Harry and Meghan to decide on titles. They are not the found of honours. The young baby currently goes by Harry's subsidiary title as Harry's eldest son and formally is Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor.

:previous: Oh sure. But again, I will not be surprised about whatever decisions M&H make about how they wish to live their lives and raise their offspring. As this is the way things are done, and Harry has long been accepting and happy about his royal role and status in life after his youthful misgivings, there's probably no doubt he & Meghan will adhere to convention. We've never actually heard it from their lips regarding the issue of titles in any case, despite all of the speculation they might refuse any titles (which I doubt). As it stands, the child will be Earl of Dumbarton. Any other son: Lord Mountbatten-Windsor, and any daughter: Lady Mountbatten-Windsor. I hope they will one day be blessed to have a daughter.

When Charles becomes King, the Sussex offspring are entitled to hold HRH Prince/Princess titles. But we shall see. I don't think the Sussexes want their children to hold royal titles, but we haven't had that confirmed.

Some people (particularly in America) who don't frequent TRF, are quite confused on the issue of British titles, and how royal titles are distinguished from lesser titles. It can be rather complicated to understand.

No. I think there is a false sense of quickness due to the timing of the announcement. We didn't know until the afternoon that she went into labor in the early hours of morning. She had the baby at sunrise. There is time there. I think some said in UK, they only keep mothers for six hours. I did also wonder if the delayed announcement is to give them time to get home. I also found the Frogmore Cottage word to be a bit odd. But it doesn't matter really.

I'm just happy mom and baby are healthy and relaxing at home. Congrats to the couple for pulling this off. :lol:

It is quite common for new mothers to go home within hours plus there is no question she will have plenty of support at home. Like you I am pleased all is well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t stop watching Harry’s video. His laugh and jump slay me. He so happy. I’m really looking forward to their photo call.

I think he is xxx Mountbatten-Windsor, Earl of Dumbarton. In conversation, he should be addressed as Lord Dumbarton , not Lord xxx or Lord xxx Mountbatten-Windsor .

I fully agree. While he technically is Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor, that doesn't mean that he will be addressed as such. Had Harry not had subsidiary titles he would be known by this name.

A civil statement but too little and way too late IMO. That statement cannot wipe away almost a year of abusive interviews from Dad and three years of public nastiness from the half siblings. Look at the birth announcement from Buckingham Palace about the families being informed before the world, Markles aren't mentioned. The birth announcement told the world where the Markles stand: nowhere.

Yes, quite a contrast to the engagement announcement that included her father, while this one includes Harry's aunts and uncle on his mother's side but not the maternal grandfather.

I fully agree. While he technically is Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor, that doesn't mean that he will be addressed as such. Had Harry not had subsidiary titles he would be known by this name.

No. Heirs of dukes are always Lord Something, not Lord FirstName Surname.
If they don't have a subsidiary title they use fictional title or Lord Surname.

A civil statement but too little and way too late IMO. That statement cannot wipe away almost a year of abusive interviews from Dad and three years of public nastiness from the half siblings. Look at the birth announcement from Buckingham Palace about the families being informed before the world, Markles aren't mentioned. The birth announcement told the world where the Markles stand: nowhere.

As it should be. They made their beds. I did love the inclusion of Diana’s siblings.

Princess Royal, Duke of York and Earl of Wessex weren't mentioned either.

Has it been announced "Officially" what Baby Sussex's title will be and what it will not be?

And I am thrilled the little guy arrived safe and healthy!!!

I suppose the Queen, the DoE, Charles and Camilla.,the Cambridges and Diana’s siblings are what Harry considers his “ nuclear family” .

Apparently the Duke of York is also “ delighted” like everybody else. I don’t expect a public statement from the Princess Royal or the Earl of Wessex, but who knows ?

Congrats to the Harry and Meghan all is good!

Delighted for them ! I can't wait to see him !

The birth wasn't recorded in the Court Circular

No. Heirs of dukes are always Lord Something, not Lord FirstName Surname.
If they don't have a subsidiary title they use fictional title or Lord Surname.

Thanks, I learned something new! Although I still think there is a difference between how they are known and what they are; which was my initial point as I stated from the start that this baby will be known with Harry's subsidiary title without being the actual earl. So, as he is not an earl himself, the alternative to being a Lord would be to be a mere 'mr' while his younger siblings would be Lord and Lady...

Can you give an example of a Duke without subsidiary titles and what his eldest son is known as? (but we should probably move this discussion to a different thread)

Had Diana been still alive she would have been mentioned instead of her siblings, so no surprise that Harry didn't feel the need to include his paternal uncles and aunt as he could include his father. Very different from not mentioning your own father (who you included less than 18 months ago in your engagement announcement).

Last edited by a moderator:
The birth wasn't recorded in the Court Circular

Given the time of the birth that isn't a surprise as the CC is sent to the press the night before.

It may appear as an addendum tomorrow - for the 7th rather than the 6th.

Has it been announced "Officially" what Baby Sussex's title will be and what it will not be?

And I am thrilled the little guy arrived safe and healthy!!!
There is nothing to announce anymore - the relevant announcement was made at their wedding a year ago: the baby boy will be known as Earl of Dumbarton as that's his father main subsidiary title.

Given the time of the birth that isn't a surprise as the CC is sent to the press the night before.

It may appear as an addendum tomorrow - for the 7th rather than the 6th.

You're right It was also a bank holiday today so we'll have to wait and see tomorrow

As it should be. They made their beds. I did love the inclusion of Diana’s siblings.

Personally I believe a lot of TM's problems arose out of listening to Samantha constantly.

But that's MY conjecture. Of course.

But yes, sadly........too little, too late.
Oh well.

There is nothing to announce anymore - the relevant announcement was made at their wedding a year ago: the baby boy will be known as Earl of Dumbarton as that's his father main subsidiary title.

No such announcement was made during Harry's wedding. That announcement was made during Edward's wedding.

Were Lady Louise’s and Viscount Severn’s births recorded in the Court Circular ?

Yes for Louise:

This is the entry for Louise on the 8th November

The Countess of Wessex was safely delivered of a daughter at 11.32 pm today. Her Royal Highness and her child are both stable. Signed: Mr Gareth Beynon, Mr. Sukhpal Singh, Anne Deans, Dr Peta Maltby, Dr Melinda Brazier, Dr Claire Edkins, Mr. Adam Lewis and Mr. Marcus Setchell.

No for James

Congratulations to the Sussex couple on the birth of the Earl of Dumbarton! I had a feeling that it was a boy, since they are more likely to go overdue.

I have to admit that I was scrambling a bit this morning. They announced that she was in labor as I arrived at work, and my first thought was that I needed to change my "Meghan Is Still Pregnant" avatar. But my old avatar was definitely not on my phone or in my Dropbox, and I can't seem to find it on my desktop. I fear it was on my old laptop.

Yes, but in the two generations following the Queen’s , hospital deliveries appear to have become the norm, not only in Britain , but in continental royal births too. So it is understandable if some people are surprised Meghan chose to have a home birth, if that was the case. Since they are not disclosing the place of birth ( perhaps not to tip the press about locations of future births ?) , there is no way to know for sure.

According to Richard Palmer

"No signatures of medical staff because the couple don’t want the public to know who attended at the birth"

My feeling is that they want to protect the location of the birth in case they want to use it again for future children, and also because Meghan has a certain half-sister with a history of turning up uninvited. I know of people with difficult family relations that had to go to extraordinary measures to ensure that wacky Aunt Hilda didn't barge her way into the delivery room.

And there can be unexpected complications in a home birth that can be life-threatening. According to a Vanity Fair article a while back, Princess Marie-Chantal gave birth at a maternity clinic but hemorrhaged afterwards, and they did not have blood for a transfusion. She had to be transferred to an actual hospital and it took some time.

In no particular order I hope he is named John for Harry's late paternal grandfather Earl Spencer, and Charles after the Prince of Wales!;)

Isn't John considered an unlucky name for the Windsors? I remember Diana wanting to use it and being told that it was a bad idea (or so she told Andrew Morton).

Since she went into labor during the night and had the baby at 5:26am, I’d bet heavily on natural.

My first thought was that the spicy salsa for Cinco De Mayo must have done the trick! ? :mexicoflag:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom