The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1281  
Old 06-02-2019, 12:42 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,152
The name "Archie" has grown on me somewhat but it proves I'm an American and an older person when subsequently to hearing "Archie", I think "Meathead". Carroll O'Connor and his portrayal of "Archie Bunker" remains a favorite of mine to this day.

I'm sure that Archie Harrison is going to make his name his own and as time passes, we won't be able to think of him as anyone else but Archie Harrison.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #1282  
Old 06-02-2019, 12:48 AM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
The dislike of the name kinda of reminds me of how "Harry" wasn't exactly a popular choice for a prince. I know it's not quite the same, as Harry is a nickname but I think it's safe to say that most people don't even see it as a nickname now. In fact, so many people are surprised when they learn Harry's actual name is Henry. I've even seen some try to correct those who call him Henry.
__________________

  #1283  
Old 06-02-2019, 12:57 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
I was looking up who Adam Bidwell was and saw the program for the Inskip wedding. Apparently, a great-grandson of Winston Churchill is also named Archie (he was one of the ushers like Harry was). So I guess it’s not so unbecoming in UK.
  #1284  
Old 06-02-2019, 12:57 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Yes but at least there was the option.

Perhaps a child named Archibald would choose to go as Archie even as an adult. Perhaps not. Perhaps in business and professional life he would think it not formal enough. But there would be the choice.

Harry could have grown up and decided he was tired of his childhood name and chosen to be referred to as Henry instead. He had that choice. Archie wont.

I never liked the name Estelle in Sweden, thought it too old fashioned. Much like Archibald seems to be. But at least both you could have younger nicknames for childhood.
  #1285  
Old 06-02-2019, 01:28 AM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes but at least there was the option.

Perhaps a child named Archibald would choose to go as Archie even as an adult. Perhaps not. Perhaps in business and professional life he would think it not formal enough. But there would be the choice.

Harry could have grown up and decided he was tired of his childhood name and chosen to be referred to as Henry instead. He had that choice. Archie wont.

I never liked the name Estelle in Sweden, thought it too old fashioned. Much like Archibald seems to be. But at least both you could have younger nicknames for childhood.
I'm sorry but thank goodness they didn't name him Archibald.

What would happen if Harry didn't like the name Henry either? Fact is, it's the parents' decision. They shouldn't name their child something they didn't like out of fear that said child will grow up wanting a more traditional name. Heck, "Archie" is already a common first name and will be even more so by the time Archie is an adult.
  #1286  
Old 06-02-2019, 02:12 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I'm sorry but thank goodness they didn't name him Archibald.

What would happen if Harry didn't like the name Henry either? Fact is, it's the parents' decision. They shouldn't name their child something they didn't like out of fear that said child will grow up wanting a more traditional name. Heck, "Archie" is already a common first name and will be even more so by the time Archie is an adult.
There are a lot of 'common names' out there now. In ten years every 3rd adult will be a Kaden/Braden/Hayden/Jayden/Trayden (I am sure I missed a few variations). How about Prince Jaden of Cambridge next?

Its not about fear. Its about a name that actually grows with a child. If Harry didn't like Henry he could stick with Harry just like he did. Or Hal, or any other nickname for Henry there is.
  #1287  
Old 06-02-2019, 03:46 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
There are a lot of 'common names' out there now. In ten years every 3rd adult will be a Kaden/Braden/Hayden/Jayden/Trayden (I am sure I missed a few variations). How about Prince Jaden of Cambridge next?

Its not about fear. Its about a name that actually grows with a child. If Harry didn't like Henry he could stick with Harry just like he did. Or Hal, or any other nickname for Henry there is.
At his birth Harry's name was announced as Henry but at the same time we were told he would be known as Harry. He has always been Harry.
  #1288  
Old 06-02-2019, 03:51 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I am quite surprised as he has no title and I just don't see him going from this to suddenly being a prince one day. I could be wrong but I just don't see it.
Once Harry is the Kings son, his son will automatically become a Prince.. unless it is announced that it will be otherwise...
  #1289  
Old 06-02-2019, 03:53 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
At his birth Harry's name was announced as Henry but at the same time we were told he would be known as Harry. He has always been Harry.
True but he was baptised and officialy named Henry.. so if he had grown to dislike the name Harry he could revert to his official first name.
  #1290  
Old 06-02-2019, 03:56 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
True but he was baptised and officialy named Henry.. so if he had grown to dislike the name Harry he could revert to his official first name.
Fair comment.
  #1291  
Old 06-02-2019, 04:08 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
At his birth Harry's name was announced as Henry but at the same time we were told he would be known as Harry. He has always been Harry.
Yes, that his parents intended to refer to him as Harry even in public. But his legal name was Henry. And if he chose to go by Henry as an adult, or even as a kid or teen when he had an opinion of his own, he had that choice. That was the point I was making.
  #1292  
Old 06-02-2019, 04:09 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,164
I think it is quite unfair to give a child a name that is very very oddball, or soemthing that wont fit into adult life. This baby is going to be a Prince one day or at least a Duke.. and while Archie is ok for "what his friends call him", I dont think it fits well as "Prince Archie of Sussex..."
However I hardly think Archibald is much better, as there is the possibility htat he'll be nicknamed "Baldy"...
And Harrison isn't really an option is it, because his father is already known as Harry. I can't understand why they did not use Harry's name Henry as a second name..
  #1293  
Old 06-02-2019, 04:48 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I'm sorry but thank goodness they didn't name him Archibald.

What would happen if Harry didn't like the name Henry either? Fact is, it's the parents' decision. They shouldn't name their child something they didn't like out of fear that said child will grow up wanting a more traditional name. Heck, "Archie" is already a common first name and will be even more so by the time Archie is an adult.
Harry has 4 names, Im sure that among them all there is something he would like to use, or which has an attractive abbreviation he can use in private...
  #1294  
Old 06-02-2019, 04:58 AM
MichelleQ2's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 1,211
I think Archer Henry would have been more suitable. They could have still had their Archie ....but a little more polished.
  #1295  
Old 06-02-2019, 05:03 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,164
Why Archer? It has no significance that I can see, and they didn't make any effort to honour either Megs family or the RF in the names
  #1296  
Old 06-02-2019, 05:13 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 9,652
Archibald Henry would be good.
  #1297  
Old 06-02-2019, 05:23 AM
Elenath's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think it is quite unfair to give a child a name that is very very oddball, or soemthing that wont fit into adult life. This baby is going to be a Prince one day or at least a Duke.. and while Archie is ok for "what his friends call him", I dont think it fits well as "Prince Archie of Sussex..."
However I hardly think Archibald is much better, as there is the possibility htat he'll be nicknamed "Baldy"...
And Harrison isn't really an option is it, because his father is already known as Harry. I can't understand why they did not use Harry's name Henry as a second name..
Names are my personal guilty pleasure. So much that at work we keep a list of extremely odd first, second, etc. names. Principessa for instance or Lindanette or Sheherozade... compared to the names on my list, Archie is downright dull. It’s not a name I would have chosen, but it’s not that bad. At least everyone knows how to pronounce it. My personal favorite among royals lately has been Balthazar.
  #1298  
Old 06-02-2019, 05:25 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 282
I wish they had named him Archibald Charles Philip Harrison Mountbatten Windsor officially and let it be known that they wish to call him Archie just like his father Harry/Henry
  #1299  
Old 06-02-2019, 05:30 AM
RJC's Avatar
RJC RJC is offline
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 272
I'm just hoping for a new official photo of the little chap soon with his parents PLEASE. We haven't seen his hair/or lack thereof yet.
  #1300  
Old 06-02-2019, 05:48 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 313
I love the names Harry & Meghan chose for their child, Archie Harrison.

Side note, my family member, Dave (not David) has 2 classmates, one named Archie & the other Harrison; Archie is sometimes called Arch, but Harrison prefers his name is not shortened.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windsor/Mountbatten-Windsor: Name of Royal House and Surname HRH Kimetha British Royals 298 04-06-2021 10:39 PM
Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor News and Pictures 3: October 2005-March 2007 Elspeth Current Events Archive 195 06-07-2007 08:24 AM
Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor News and Pictures 2: May 2004-October 2005 USCtrojan Current Events Archive 220 10-10-2005 10:51 PM
Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor News and Pictures 1: November 2003-May 2004 montecarlo Current Events Archive 157 05-29-2004 01:38 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen carolin china chinese commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs doll dresses duke of sussex family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf history house of windsor imperial household intro italian royal family jack brooksbank jacobite japan jewellery kids movie king edward vii line of succession list of rulers luxembourg maxima meghan markle monarchy nepalese royal jewels prince constantijn prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen maxima queen victoria random facts royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding serbian royal family spain sussex swedish queen taiwan tradition unfinished portrait united states of america wedding gown welsh wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×