The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #961  
Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,589
That Disney cartoon is adorable.

I wonder if they will release any close up pictures of Archie or will the christening be the next next we see him.
__________________

  #962  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
I never said I liked Alvin and you are right. But I think it is better than Archie, which at best is a nick name, and all I could think of was Archie Bunker or Archie Comics. Put together with Harrison, which makes no sense, as his father's name is Henry, not Harry, he sound like any kid. And if they want him to be any kid, then give up their tiles and move out of that large residence and live somewhere and raise him as any kid.
Because they are working royals. That doesn’t mean their child, who is not a working or Royal at all at this point, should not be any kid.

And btw, Harrison, while meaning son of Harry, is quite commonly used. Even by people who father is not or is not known as Harry.
__________________

  #963  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:14 PM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: maidstone, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,182
The Baby is cute! But we couldn't see much with the hat covering his hair and eyebrows.
Hope they post more photos as he grows!
I like the way the photocall was in a private place with the press there inside so the baby doesn't get the cold of the weather .
Also I like theQueen with the baby . It is nice and more relax photos!
Now regarding his name, Oh Dear I do not like it at all! and what is this comment in magazines that George said Archie is his nickname ?????
The couple looks really in love and happy! wishing them the best
__________________
Ashelen
  #964  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:31 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
We might get a peak when they have the Christening unless they do it totally private. Past that..it might be Christmas (cards) before we seen pics of him again.

Of course if they do a tour...he might be with them!


LaRae
  #965  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:36 PM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,918
It seems to me that Archie has fine faint strands of ginger hair showing around his cap. Harry even said that Archie already has facial hair. Babies do change over time though, as they acknowledged. But I think his nose, lips and olive-toned skin resemble Meghan.
  #966  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:56 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Witter Springs, United States
Posts: 282
The queen was the most informally dressed for the photo and I know if she didn't want to do it she wouldn't, maybe it was her idea; not the Sussexs. I think it was very media- savy of the queen and EOB to show support.
  #967  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:38 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
OK it has finally dawned on me why something about using "Harrison" bugged me. With all Meghan has spoken of feminist rhetoric, challenging the patriarchy and the personal sacrifices she has made to marry Harry seems like a strange step to highlight the fact that Harrison was used because he's Harry's son.

Wouldn't a name highlighting her contribution as mother, birther, female, newcomer, outsider be more suitable? Of course he's Harry's son, he will live a easy life, free from mortal cares and concerns and will carry the Mountbatten-Windsor surname or Sussex if he wishes.

Yes, Megson or Markson sound odd but surely Meghan could have put a more personal touch with a name that meant something to her instead of another deferrment to the larger entity.

Maybe I am just reading too much into this? ��
one could make the argument that the name 'Archie' very much references Rachel Meghan Markle, with emphasis on the R. There is not much you can do with 'Meghan' for a boy, but 'Rachel' certainly leads to 'Archie'!
  #968  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:05 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Somewhere in Ga,, United States
Posts: 133
It appears that fans of the couple have "detected" something that may explain their choice of Archie as the first name-----apparently Archie is a "close acronym" of Rachel. Hmmmmmm.

Therefore, "Rachel and Harry's Son."

Don't know why she used her first name, but ok.

And IF true, this shows M & H's ingenuity and the confirmation that they know EXACTLY what they are doing.

Good show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
It seems to me that Archie has fine faint strands of ginger hair showing around his cap. Harry even said that Archie already has facial hair. Babies do change over time though, as they acknowledged. But I think his nose, lips and olive-toned skin resemble Meghan.
He also has the Markle nose, as others here have pointed out.
  #969  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:37 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
... I think the whole "we want privacy" was a bit blown out of proportion by the fandom and the press. Not only we got a photocall with a baby, which also included answering a few question that William didn't do after George, but also a picture with the Queen and DoE, so that's another extra bit we don't get with Cambridge children.

I'm begining to suspect it's more "we will do things our way" than "we'll keep the child completely private". I bet we'll get pictures from Christening, that in a year or two (maybe two) we'll see little Archie on the balcony during Trooping the colour and I wouldn't exclude the posibility we'll get birthday pictures too.
I think you are misreading and over-reading the simple fact that Harry (especially) and Meghan want to avoid intrusiveness into their private lives. That does not mean they aren't willing to share some of their happiness, particularly surrounding special events, such as the birth of their first child.

Of course, they wished to handle how they introduced their baby to the public. The Sussexes did not want to provide a slew of details, and they did not want people gathering for days outside of a hospital. In addition, their actual plans were in flux due to their delayed move to Frogmore Cottage, and not knowing exactly when the baby would arrive. More than likely, Meghan wished to try and give birth at home, once they were settled into their new residence, but they had surely developed a back-up hospital plan with her doctors.

Plus, neither Meghan nor Harry wanted to feel the pressure of being rushed to present their baby in front of packed crowds blocking streets and entrances to a hospital. Add to the fact, the actual birth plans were not set in stone that she would be giving birth at a hospital. If the hope was to give birth at home, that kind of information was their business and not for public consumption.

The main point is that Harry & Meghan clearly wished to share the birth experience with each other, Doria, friends and family first. They did not want the public hanging on to every aspect of every detail, and that makes perfect sense. They have never confirmed the involvement of a particular hospital, although that information should eventually appear on Archie's birth certificate.

Another indication that Harry & Meghan are willing to share some things about their personal lives, but just on their own terms, is the fact that Harry decided on the spur of the moment to make the birth announcement himself. That was not initially planned. I think it was a lovely touch.

I can see future royals employing this type of personal yet informal baby birth announcement and controlled photo-op roll-out a few days after birth, versus the less manageable scenario of crowds forming outside of a hospital (which involves more headaches and security expenses). Not to mention, a woman shouldn't have to feel the pressure of getting made up to appear in front of crowds hours after giving birth.

At the very least, M&H's doing things their way and in a perfectly reasonable and more controlled fashion should set a precedent for royal couples being able to make their own decisions without interference, complaining and condemnation by the media.

The whole issue of privacy surrounding how often the public gets to see Archie, is a separate issue altogether. The public will not be getting a home tour. In other words, nothing like the in-home look at toddler Harry and older brother William banging on the piano when they were kids, or the photo-ops at Highgrove when Harry and William were young boys still wearing shorts. In fact, William and Harry both joked in the recent film dedicated to Diana that they abhorred the often matching outfits Diana dressed them up in. Harry vowed he would never dress his kids that way. The 1980s was an entirely different era though.

Of course, we should expect to see glimpses of Archie on some tours with his parents, at his christening, and in photos issued to celebrate his birthdays. We may also see him as he gets older playing with his cousins on the sidelines during polo outings, and eventually on the BP balcony during Trooping the Colour. That's the least I would expect. If we get more than that, it will be surprising. However, I won't be surprised to see M&H doing something unexpected like posting unanticipated family photos on Instagram. I'm really hoping to eventually see a family photo with their dogs. I miss seeing beagle Guy.
  #970  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:30 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 883
It is a beautiful photo of Archie meeting his great grandparents.
It's very generous of them to share it. A significant moment and such a happy one.
Does anyone know which tartan is worn by The Duke of Edinburgh? He looks remarkable.
  #971  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:30 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Sussex may have been the first to post it, but as you say, that image would only have been used with the consent of the Queen or her team. And that consent was, IMO, only provided as the Queen and her team could see the powerful message that was being sent.
None of us can truly claim we know the actual logistics involved regarding the release of this photo. We do know that photos were planned to be taken. However, the initial interview with the media was scheduled to take place on the steps behind Frogmore House (where engagement and wedding photos had been taken). Due to the weather, the media meet-up was moved to St. George's Hall at Windsor Castle. Most likely, a visit to see QE-II and the Duke of Edinburgh for private discussion and personal photos had always been planned after the media photo-op. So it worked out perhaps more smoothly with everything taking place at Windsor Castle.

Still, I don't see any reason to believe that it was mainly the Queen who wanted to release this photo because of the 'powerful message' it sends. If that's the case, we already got powerful messages galore during the royal wedding last May. There was a slew of powerful messages being sent during M&H's wedding ceremony. I think the most 'powerful message' was already sent when the Queen consented to her grandson marrying Meghan Markle. Harry and Meghan also already gave us 'powerful messages' during their engagement interview that many people appear to have forgotten.

I see the photo mainly as a very moving family photo with several generations basking in joy, whether or not it was necessarily planned all along to be publicly released. The photo reminds me of Diana PoW and her abiding love for her sons, and how proud she also would be. It's such a beautiful moment too because Prince Harry went through a lot to reach this normal, yet magical and redemptive moment in his life.

Harry once said in an interview that the loss of his mother had created a void in his life he felt would never be filled. Through meeting and marrying Meghan that void seems to have been filled beyond Harry's wildest dreams. His happiness and fulfillment have surely exponentially expanded with the birth of Archie. In the photo, Harry looks content and amazed at the same time, while Meghan looks radiantly happy.

It was also very lovely to see the Duke of Edinburgh and HM the Queen looking so overjoyed. The quiet, calm, proud presence of Doria, who has always been Meghan's 'rock,' makes the entire tableau resonate.
  #972  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:20 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,744
Plus we have to see that in maybe two years one or both of the great-grandparents might no longer be here! So when would be the right time to show them with Archie if not now? I bet once Eugenie is a new mother, the first thing she does (if it is still possible) is present her baby to her grandmother and grandfather. It's what has to be done, simple as that. That we get to see a pic of it is lucky for us, not more.
  #973  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:54 AM
Fem's Avatar
Fem Fem is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK, Poland
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I think you are misreading and over-reading the simple fact that Harry (especially) and Meghan want to avoid intrusiveness into their private lives. That does not mean they aren't willing to share some of their happiness, particularly surrounding special events, such as the birth of their first child.

Of course, they wished to handle how they introduced their baby to the public. The Sussexes did not want to provide a slew of details, and they did not want people gathering for days outside of a hospital. In addition, their actual plans were in flux due to their delayed move to Frogmore Cottage, and not knowing exactly when the baby would arrive. More than likely, Meghan wished to try and give birth at home, once they were settled into their new residence, but they had surely developed a back-up hospital plan with her doctors.

Plus, neither Meghan nor Harry wanted to feel the pressure of being rushed to present their baby in front of packed crowds blocking streets and entrances to a hospital. Add to the fact, the actual birth plans were not set in stone that she would be giving birth at a hospital. If the hope was to give birth at home, that kind of information was their business and not for public consumption.

The main point is that Harry & Meghan clearly wished to share the birth experience with each other, Doria, friends and family first. They did not want the public hanging on to every aspect of every detail, and that makes perfect sense. They have never confirmed the involvement of a particular hospital, although that information should eventually appear on Archie's birth certificate.

Another indication that Harry & Meghan are willing to share some things about their personal lives, but just on their own terms, is the fact that Harry decided on the spur of the moment to make the birth announcement himself. That was not initially planned. I think it was a lovely touch.

I can see future royals employing this type of personal yet informal baby birth announcement and controlled photo-op roll-out a few days after birth, versus the less manageable scenario of crowds forming outside of a hospital (which involves more headaches and security expenses). Not to mention, a woman shouldn't have to feel the pressure of getting made up to appear in front of crowds hours after giving birth.

At the very least, M&H's doing things their way and in a perfectly reasonable and more controlled fashion should set a precedent for royal couples being able to make their own decisions without interference, complaining and condemnation by the media.

The whole issue of privacy surrounding how often the public gets to see Archie, is a separate issue altogether. The public will not be getting a home tour. In other words, nothing like the in-home look at toddler Harry and older brother William banging on the piano when they were kids, or the photo-ops at Highgrove when Harry and William were young boys still wearing shorts. In fact, William and Harry both joked in the recent film dedicated to Diana that they abhorred the often matching outfits Diana dressed them up in. Harry vowed he would never dress his kids that way. The 1980s was an entirely different era though.

Of course, we should expect to see glimpses of Archie on some tours with his parents, at his christening, and in photos issued to celebrate his birthdays. We may also see him as he gets older playing with his cousins on the sidelines during polo outings, and eventually on the BP balcony during Trooping the Colour. That's the least I would expect. If we get more than that, it will be surprising. However, I won't be surprised to see M&H doing something unexpected like posting unanticipated family photos on Instagram. I'm really hoping to eventually see a family photo with their dogs. I miss seeing beagle Guy.
I think the only person doing any kind of misreading and over-reading is you when it comes to my post. I have no idea how all of what you now wrote in any way relates to what I wrote, so...
  #974  
Old 05-10-2019, 04:53 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
However, the initial interview with the media was scheduled to take place on the steps behind Frogmore House (where engagement and wedding photos had been taken). Due to the weather, the media meet-up was moved to St. George's Hall at Windsor Castle.
.
Do we know that this is a statement of fact (ie, a Press release or "Operational Notes" from BP) or just speculation on the internet?
  #975  
Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtahHotep View Post
It appears that fans of the couple have "detected" something that may explain their choice of Archie as the first name-----apparently Archie is a "close acronym" of Rachel. Hmmmmmm.

Therefore, "Rachel and Harry's Son."

Don't know why she used her first name, but ok.

And IF true, this shows M & H's ingenuity and the confirmation that they know EXACTLY what they are doing.

Good show.



He also has the Markle nose, as others here have pointed out.


Archie is not acronym of Rachel. And Meghan doesn’t use the name Rachel, not even in her wedding vows.

Meghan’s fans will just have to accept that a self-proclaimed feminist agreed to name her child “ the. Son of Harry” as in some old patriarchal Viking society. They also chose a Germanic first name ( Archibald , or Archie). Very Northern European and with little connection to Meghan’s background, which is somewhat disappointing.
  #976  
Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Meghan’s fans will just have to accept that a self-proclaimed feminist agreed to name her child “ the. Son of Harry” as in some old patriarchal Viking society. They also chose a Germanic first name ( Archibald , or Archie). Very Northern European and with little connection to Meghan’s background, which is somewhat disappointing.
Perhaps if they were to have another son, they might call him Meghson
  #977  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
Now regarding his name, Oh Dear I do not like it at all! and what is this comment in magazines that George said Archie is his nickname ?????
Apparently George told a woman he met casually that his name was Archie!
So the press is having fun with the idea that H & M copied the name from their tiny nephew!

Although today the DM claims Meghan named her baby after her cat. So who knows?

As for Harrison, I can only think of the kid on the TV series Dexter. His name was Harrison.

I'm with you- I don't like the name at all.
But then, they didn't consult me!
  #978  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:08 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
That Disney cartoon is adorable.

I wonder if they will release any close up pictures of Archie or will the christening be the next next we see him.
Given the couple's seeming desire to bring up their child privately, do you think they will release pictures at the time of the christening?
  #979  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Elenath's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Archie is not acronym of Rachel. And Meghan doesn’t use the name Rachel, not even in her wedding vows.

Meghan’s fans will just have to accept that a self-proclaimed feminist agreed to name her child “ the. Son of Harry” as in some old patriarchal Viking society. They also chose a Germanic first name ( Archibald , or Archie). Very Northern European and with little connection to Meghan’s background, which is somewhat disappointing.
As a (self-proclaimed) feminist I really don't see why this is a problem. Seems like people are trying to find problems where there are none.

The name isn't feminist enough (not sure what the criteria are), she gave up her career to move abroad which isn't feminist, she took her husbands last name (again not feminist). Did I miss anything? And there I was thinking feminism is about giving women a choice and chances… How silly of me.
  #980  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
As a (self-proclaimed) feminist I really don't see why this is a problem. Seems like people are trying to find problems where there are none.

This could be said of about half the posts on this thread!
__________________

__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windsor/Mountbatten-Windsor: Name of Royal House and Surname HRH Kimetha British Royals 298 04-06-2021 10:39 PM
Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor News and Pictures 3: October 2005-March 2007 Elspeth Current Events Archive 195 06-07-2007 08:24 AM
Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor News and Pictures 2: May 2004-October 2005 USCtrojan Current Events Archive 220 10-10-2005 10:51 PM
Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor News and Pictures 1: November 2003-May 2004 montecarlo Current Events Archive 157 05-29-2004 01:38 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes american baby names biography britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles canada china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house cpr dna doge of venice dubai duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii elizabeth ii emperor family life family tree fashion and style george vi gradenigo hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hochberg hypothetical monarchs jewellery jewelry kensington palace king willem-alexander list of rulers mary: crown princess of denmark maxima mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal family plantinum jubilee pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess ariane princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen louise resusci anne royal court royal jewels royalty of taiwan russian court dress solomon j solomon spain stuart thailand thai royal family unfinished portrait united states united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×