Birth of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor: May 6, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a precious baby!! I like the name and I just read that he will have not title. I am a little disappointed in that, but that is just me. I completely understand why, in that they want him to have as normal a life as possible. Otherwise for me, extremely happy news!! Harry looks totally besotted with that baby and Meghan looks so protective like any mother. I think them showing the Queen meeting the baby is so AWESOME!! Is that a first?

The name sounds like the son of a 'hipster' north London hedge fund manager...
Archie was the 15th most popular (& rising) boy's name in the UK last year. Seems it's broken out of the north London, hipster, hedge-fund manager enclave (if that was the source). :)

Why everything that has to do with this couple is always Meghan, this Meghan that

Because even the most cursory glance at Harry's 'CV' reveals a markedly weak character, and one 'easily influenced' - as a bachelor, his 'bad boy' antics [under the influence of others], in the army his 'heroics' [under the influence of his superiors, and peers]. And now this.. 'suddenly' Californian and trendily 'egalitarian' ?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, the IT of Buckingham Palace is not on top of things.
Somebody is going to be in trouble

Son of the D&DoC instead of Sussex??????

Now that is just a sloppy, uncalled for, unthinking, idiotic kind of mistake that will probably send the offender into the nearest bathroom cringing with a bright red face as he/she awaits the boom to lower that will slam the palace gates on him/her loudly!

Robert Jobson Twitter 'While there are obviously courtesy titles that could be used by their son the Sussexes have chosen not to use them AT THiS TIME'

https://mobile.twitter.com/theroyaleditor?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Mmmm seems to me like the "Princess of Wales" title for Camilla. it's there, it's legally hers but she has chosen not to use it.
However the "at this time" seems a bit baffling : they are basically taking an option and then wait and see ? "let's raise our child like a private citizen, then if it doesn't work there's still a title or two to use".
Another cherrypicking if you ask me. This couple is very lovable but still so much full of contradictions.

Mmmm seems to me like the "Princess of Wales" title for Camilla. it's there, it's legally hers but she has chosen not to use it.
However the "at this time" seems a bit baffling : they are basically taking an option and then wait and see ? "let's raise our child like a private citizen, then if it doesn't work there's still a title or two to use".
Another cherrypicking if you ask me. This couple is very lovable but still so much full of contradictions.

I don't think the "at this time" is part of the announcement. It seems that the reporters just haven't gotten any guidance on the future when Charles becomes King, or, even further away, once Harry passes on. But I do think it's sensible to not jump at those decisions today. Right now, there is one decision, and that's if he'll be Master Archie or Earl of Dumbarton as courtesy title. They chose not to use the courtesy title.

The thing about courtesy titles is that they're optional, right? A son may use his father's lesser title, but he is not obligated to do so? Perhaps Harry's experience just makes him prefer his child be old enough to understand something of what the title is all about before people start calling the child by it.

Please note that throughout today a number of posts containing unnecessarily aggressive comments have been edited or deleted. Please be reminded that when responding to someone you do not agree with or who may have posted something that was incorrect, please have the courtesy to all fellow members of responding in a respectful and constructive way.

With regard to the decisions that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex make in their lives - both private and public - it would seem sensible and respectful to take it that such decisions are made jointly and not to presume one or other of them have made the decision alone.
This is particularly the case when referencing the Duchess of Sussex. The habit of assuming and indeed aggressively promoting the idea that the Duchess herself makes decisions that in reality must clearly be jointly made with the Duke or are out of her hands to make (such as her title or the use thereof) is unacceptable.

The Duchess of Sussex is a working royal. Her son, on the other hand, is a private individual who is expected to establish his own career one day.

Again, why is it solely Meghan's decision? Did I miss a memo somewhere? Is Harry entirely irrelevant in his own family? Given what he's said in the past, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was his idea.

This child is the heir to the Dukedom of Sussex as the Queen did include male heir of the body when she issued Harry the Dukedom of Sussex. However, what difference does it make in the child's life if he's Master Archie or Earl of Dumbarton? He'll be Archie.

One difference I could think of is that, potentially, some in the media would have the decency of not thinking they are entitled to him if he has no official title.

I think this is "all Harry" … and his attempts to say "look at me … I'm normal". I'm sorry and I know that I'm going to hear it from everybody but …. you and your child will never have a mortgage, have to ride a subway, have a 9-to-5 job, fear that you will loose your pension. You are not normal. Your child will also grow up incredibly privileged.

I remember an interview where Harry was asked "what would you do if you weren't born a prince?" Harry replied, "I'd want to work with the Hitsu people." Really? You think the average person has the option to work with the Hitsu people? The average person has to go out and get a job and earn enough $$ to buy groceries and send their kids to school.

While I appreciate the intent of wanting to be grounded and down-to-earth … it's just not the same thing.

I'm sorry … but, I just can't ….

JMHO!

Because even the most cursory glance at Harry's 'CV' reveals a markedly weak character, and one 'easily influenced' - as a bachelor, his 'bad boy' antics [under the influence of others], in the army his 'heroics' [under the influence of his superiors, and peers]. And now this.. 'suddenly' Californian and trendily 'egalitarian' ?

Thank God William is heir to a 1000 years of history...

I don't find him to be a weak character. In fact, I found that he knows what he wants to do when it matter and when it's something he's passionate about. Sure he's had his moments of youthful indiscretion, but most of us have done dumb things when we were young. But when it comes to his work, he has shown passion and resolve. He also seems quite clear on what he wants in his personal life. No one but Harry is responsible for his life and choices, whether good or bad.

I think this is "all Harry" … and his attempts to say "look at me … I'm normal". I'm sorry and I know that I'm going to hear it from everybody but …. you and your child will never have a mortgage, have to ride a subway, have a 9-to-5 job, fear that you will loose your pension. You are not normal. Your child will also grow up incredibly privileged.

I remember an interview where Harry was asked "what would you do if you weren't born a prince?" Harry replied, "I'd want to work with the Hitsu people." Really? You think the average person has the option to work with the Hitsu people? The average person has to go out and get a job and earn enough $$ to buy groceries and send their kids to school.

While I appreciate the intent of wanting to be grounded and down-to-earth … it's just not the same thing.

I'm sorry … but, I just can't ….

JMHO!
I think it's fair to say their child will be privileged growing up, but so are a lot of others without a title. You don't have to be struggling to be a normal person.

Last edited:
I know two young men who don't use their courtesy titles at all & never have. They'll get the main ones eventually but choose to be first name/last name for now.

The HRH will come the moment Charles ascends to the throne. HRH Prince Archie. For right now, he’s just Archie.
Not necessarily. They might choose (as they did now) not to use it. I don't see a reason Prince Charles would refuse his son and his wife the choice when it comes to their child titile.

I don't understand this either … Whether they like it or not, Archie is heir to the Dukedom.. so why this "He's just Archie" stuff.

Archie was the 15th most popular (& rising) boy's name in the UK last year. Seems it's broken out of the north London, hipster, hedge-fund manager enclave (if that was the source). :)

I had a quick glance at the ScotlandsPeople website for fun and 555 boys were named Archie (first or middle name) in 2018. There were 34 Archibalds ?

(That's not the same as a popularity ranking but I like the fact the information is bang up to date and searchable).

Archie is very similar to 'Alfie', which is also popular and often given as a standalone name (as opposed to being short for Alfred). There were 514 Alfies born last year according to the same records.

Does anyone think that the birth certificate image will be shared, or is that tradition reserved for children of the heir?

I had a quick glance at the ScotlandsPeople website for fun and 555 boys were named Archie (first or middle name) in 2018. There were 34 Archibalds ?

(That's not the same as a popularity ranking but I like the fact the information is bang up to date and searchable).

Archie is very similar to 'Alfie', which is also popular and often given as a standalone name (as opposed to being short for Alfred). There were 514 Alfies born last year according to the same records.

Well, interesting facts. I'm still surprised at how many people now give what used to be considered nicknames as official names. Especially seeing how much Archie outranks Archibald. Maybe by the time this baby is a grown man, it won't feel so much like a child's name because there'll be so many grown Archies around. :lol:

Why complain about Archie being a nickname and not a proper name? NOBODY is going to call him ARCHIBALD anyway, except maybe at rare state functions. Might as well. Like I said before, let's enjoy the informal nature of it.

... Thought it was cute they ran into Prince Phillip. He got to see the little bubba before the Queen. Can’t wait to hear his name.

...I loved the bit about them running into Prince Philip on the way over.
Mmm, mighty suspicious ? am I the only one who suspects Prince Phillip knew exactly when & where the couple would be before the photo/video shoot and just ‘happened’ to be in the vicinity to get a peek at his newest ggrandchild?
Archie - not a name I would have chosen - but I wasn’t fond of the name Louis either or Lena or Isla - I’ve never met an Archie, however I did know one Archibald.

Mmm, mighty suspicious ? am I the only one who suspects Prince Phillip knew exactly when & where the couple would be before the photo/video shoot and just ‘happened’ to be in the vicinity to get a peek at his newest ggrandchild?
Archie - not a name I would have chosen - but I wasn’t fond of the name Louis either or Lena or Isla - I’ve never met an Archie, however I did know one Archibald.

I love the idea that he may have then gone in to his wife and teased her that he got to see the baby first.

I'm kind of getting the vibe here that Harrison seems like an unusual name to some folks. Is that accurate? The reaction is surprising to me. Where I am, it's not one of those names that you run into everywhere but it's certainly within the realm of normal. I think of it as quite traditional. I personally tend to like it more as a middle name than a first name, but I've certainly known my share of men and boys who go by Harrison.

In Britain giving surnames as given names is seen as very American, though it is catching on. I was much more surprised by Harrison than I was by Archie, but it seems that for the Americans on here it is the opposite.

Yikes.... I was not expecting this type of reaction here.

I was just out with my parents when the name was announced and everyone loved it. Albeit the people at the restaurant were a bit older, but still.
Archie is most definitely NOT a modern or crazy name. Or American. It's a typical British Aristo name, in the spirit of Alfie, Arthur, Albert, etc.

My grandfather was an Archibald - Archie for short, and my father also has several Archie / Archibald friends.
I fail to see how it is supposed to be any less British than Louis, for example? And using a diminutive form for principal name is really that outrages considering it comes from the man who has never lived a single day in his life as Henry?

ETA: Also, Archibald is actually a name used on Phillip's side. So definitely not completely out of left field.

ETA: Now that I see @Susan999 mentioning it - could this be down to cultural perception? Is it maybe weird because the US only has the comic book character as a popular reference and no established history of the name use? Hence why it sounds cooky to them? It's definitely one of the newly popular 'old' names in Britain. I assume that's not the case in the US.

Last edited:
Well, I don't care for the baby name but the looks on everyones' faces in the Royal photo are priceless, especially the Queen.

She looked positively and genuinely thrilled, I have never seen her grinning quite like that!?

Well, interesting facts. I'm still surprised at how many people now give what used to be considered nicknames as official names. Especially seeing how much Archie outranks Archibald. Maybe by the time this baby is a grown man, it won't feel so much like a child's name because there'll be so many grown Archies around. :lol:

I think so too!

I think the trend, currently, is to eschew the longer names. Maybe the logic is exactly that - that nobody will call them the long form anyway, so why not?

I'm a traditionalist, but I understand the thinking!

('Alfred' was less popular than 'Archibald', but only just - 27 vs 34 - but it is Scotland, so that doesn't entirely surprise me. And there were fewer 'Alfies' also)

Well, I don't care for the baby name but the looks on everyones' faces in the Royal photo are priceless, especially the Queen.

She looked positively and genuinely thrilled, I have never seen her grinning quite like that!?

The photos they shared were really lovely. One for the albums ?

Not necessarily. They might choose (as they did now) not to use it. I don't see a reason Prince Charles would refuse his son and his wife the choice when it comes to their child titile.

Very most likely they will accept the automatic change in Archie’s status upon succession.

The name Archie is growing on me. I’m just imagining Edith Bunker doing her ditzy run towards Archie Bunker in All In The Family, but I’m getting used to the baby’s name. It’ll all sound even better once he’s an HRH.

Last edited:

Lol I could see him doing just that.

I love the picture of HM, Prince Philip, and the Sussex family. Lovely, heartwarming. Very personal. Everything about this birth has had a warmer, more personal feel to it than what we usually see. In some ways, they’re actually being more public about this obviously more private baby imo.

In Britain giving surnames as given names is seen as very American, though it is catching on. I was much more surprised by Harrison than I was by Archie, but it seems that for the Americans on here it is the opposite.

That it strikes you as primarily surname is strange to me. That's how normal a name it is in my neck of the woods.

I’d agree from my POV as an American.

Archie is growing on me, now that I’ve gotten past the shock. It is cute. Harrison was less surprising to me as a name.

Its started to be done here too, names like Jackson or Harrison. and the giving of abbreviations as full names is becoming more common.

I wonder if there's anything more behind this choice of name? Did Meghan enjoy reading the Archie comics when she was growing up? The Archie character had red hair, so I suspect that little Archie of Sussex also has red hair. It seems to me that there are faint red strands of hair around the edges of the white wool cap little Archie was wearing. The Cambridge male babies did not wear caps leaving the hospital. Princess Charlotte was wearing a white drawstring cap when she debuted on the steps of the Lindo Wing.

I'm so happy for Meghan & Harry. This is such an exciting time for the Sussexes, the royal family, and royal watchers.

Its puzzling to me that folks somehow are lambasting Harry and Meghan for deciding to turn down a courtesy title (for now! the lad could always take it up himself should he want or it could change when Charles becomes king) and complaining that Harry and Meghan want it both ways.

Is this not exactly what the Princess Royal and the Wessexes have done? Yes, they are public individuals with public roles, taking public money. But they are all raising their children as private citizens. Should they to give it all up and go off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom