Birth of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor: May 6, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Archie is way outta left field. I can’t say I love it but it’ll grow on me. I’m not surprised they chose something “non-royal” though. I never thought Harry and Meghan would choose something as traditional as Alexander or Arthur.

I AM surprised by the lack of courtesy title. I suppose they want their children to be fully commoners and have lives like Anne’s children? I’m not sure that’ll ever be possible with how famous this child already is... I can understand why Harry and Meghan would want that though.

I’ve always thought they’d go the Wessex way and that their children will never be Prince/Princess. But this is a step further. I definitely still don’t think they’ll ever be given royal titles. But do y’all think Archie will even become Duke of Sussex one day? Could Elizabeth/Charles issue a LP that the Sussex dukedom won’t be inherited?

I’m surprised, but I like it.

We use nick-names as given names in my family . (My brother is Billy, not William.). I’m distantly related to Meghan through the Skipper line, so maybe it’s genetic.[emoji41]

I'd say that if they had been considering it...all the negative hateful things tossed at them pushed them into the 'private life' decision.

LaRae

Nope, I think this was always the plan. My money is on this couple having discussed all this thoroughly even before the engagement: what they wanted to accomplish, the work they wanted to do, and if and when they had children, providing as much freedom and privacy as they could for them. Harry growing up with the Phillips children must have been plenty of evidence that it is possible to be part of the BRF, but still live a productive and largely private life, and I can see him wanting that for his children.

Actually, I don't think the no title decision is something that is reflective solely of Harry and Meghan but actually is in line with how the "Firm" perceives itself going into the future in the next reign. I will not be surprised if either the Queen or Charles when he is king, issues new LPs or makes their will known that the Sussex children will be just as Peter's and Zara's and be totally private citizens. Eventually though, Archie will inherit his fathers dukedom peerage.

I think they've learned a lot over the years seeing how Beatrice and Eugenie were treated as being between a royal and a private world. Harry and Meghan are starting right from the beginning to quash anything like that happening to their children.

Oh dear. That certainly was an... unexpected name. I gotta say, when I first saw it written out, I thought it was a joke. Like that time the SRF accidentally released the template for Estelle's name announcement featuring a completely random name ?

I feel that Meghan's heart is much more in America than in Britain.

If that is the case, I hope they go to live there - NOTHING about any of their choices shows even the least respect or understanding for the heritage into which the father of this child was born...

'm appalled and hope they take themselves off to California, rather than sponge off the Prince of Wales who currently pays for 'the lady's' frocks..

Last edited:
The last time I was taken aback by a royal baby name was when Mabel and Friso named their child daughter Luana.

I agree that Archie is not a proper name. Harrison is actually my nephew's name. It is nice.
However Archie? I am still scratching my head on that one.

No surprise about the lack of titles though.
I called it when the couple sent Louis birthday greetings.

The line of succession on the royal family's official website has him listed as Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor

So it's official.
We are the witnesses of an announced process : the significant downsizing of the BRF.

I love the fact that they named him Harrison for a middle name - a nod to prince Harry. Harry’s son = Harrison.

Archie – which is a shortened version of the name Archibald – is of German origin, and means 'true, bold, Valuable'. The name was first introduced during the Norman conquest – with the 'bald' part of the longer version, Archibald, also being interpreted as referring to the shaven head of a monk.

Harrison Transferred use of the surname originated in the Middle Ages as a Patronymic meaning "Son of Henry" or "Son of Harry"

Archie Harrison = The True, Bold, and Valuable Son of Harry

The kind of name very young parents who are fans of the Avengers (Asgardians) or Lord of the Rings would pick.

I AM surprised by the lack of courtesy title. I suppose they want their children to be fully commoners and have lives like Anne’s children? I’m not sure that’ll ever be possible with how famous this child already is... I can understand why Harry and Meghan would want that though.

I’ve always thought they’d go the Wessex way and that their children will never be Prince/Princess. But this is a step further. I definitely still don’t think they’ll ever be given royal titles. But do y’all think Archie will even become Duke of Sussex one day? Could Elizabeth/Charles issue a LP that the Sussex dukedom won’t be inherited?

I agree. There is no way this child can live a completely private life. The frenzy this couple has willy-nilly created around itself is the same as a proper fandom. People will demand pictures and the presence of the kid at events. What's the point then to accept a Dukedom if you won't let your child have a subsidiary title, as per custom.
I wasn't surprised that he didn't receive a princely title, but I am disappointed that he is not at least earl/lord. Call me old-fashioned...

Sorry for my ignorance in the topic of titles but will Archie be the duke of Sussex someday? And if so, will be be Mr Mountbatten-Windsor until that day?

If that is the case, I hope they go to live there - NOTHING about any of their choices shows even the least respect or understanding for the heritage into which the father of this child was born...

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Victoria was once considered “unqueenly”. Archie might not be up to everyone’s standards, but it’s just a name. I’m sure the BRF and it’s history will survive an “unprincely” name.

So it's official.
We are the witnesses of an announced process : the significant downsizing of the BRF.

Since not styling him Lord iappears to be a violation of the LPs of 1917, shouldn’t a statement be made that it is the Queen’s will that he be known as “Master” ?

Lol. How do you read a lack of respect out of a child's name? ?

They can't ever win with some people. If they'd followed the procedure William and Kate have used when their children were born, named him Albert Charles Philip and insisted he should receive the royal title he's officially entitled to when Charles succeeds HM, people would've bashed them as well.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Victoria was once considered “unqueenly”. Archie might not be up to everyone’s standards, but it’s just a name. I’m sure the BRF and it’s history will survive an “unprincely” name.

Archie actually is like a breath of fresh air into British royal family names in its own way. I'm sure if the Queen disapproved of it, she'd have said something and advised them to pick another name.

Therefore, if its OK with the Queen, its OK by me. :D

I agree. There is no way this child can live a completely private life. The frenzy this couple has willy-nilly created around itself is the same as a proper fandom. People will demand pictures and the presence of the kid at events. What's the point then to accept a Dukedom if you won't let your child have a subsidiary title, as per custom.
I wasn't surprised that he didn't receive a princely title, but I am disappointed that he is not at least earl/lord. Call me old-fashioned...
That's a very interesting observation! Because on one hand, that's the exact way that Prince Anne chose for her children - no titles at all, but she has never accepted any title for herself and her husband.

I guess the point of accepting the Dukedom would be so that Meghan wouldn't be called Princess Henry... Or Princess Harry. I mean, I'm a Brit and used to that, but even for me it sounds bad.

It is true he doesn’t have any title now, but he is entitled to use the honorific prefix of Lord as the son of Duke and great-grandson in male line of a monarch. Why is the press assuming he will be only “Master Archie” ?

"Master" because he is a boy child, when he becomes an adult, then he will be a "Mr." e.g. Mr. Peter Philipps. A girl child would be listed as "Miss" - eg. Miss Isla Philipps.

I think Archibald is a fine royal name, the problem with Archie is that it is not a name , but a short nickname for Archibald. They could have named him Archibald just as Harry was named Henry.

Come on people. It could be worse. Like Jaxon, or Jasen, or Brayden, or Tylor...

Reactions: Fem
He may have a Royal parent(s) but I don't think he will ever be Prince Archie.

LaRae

No I don't think so either..but by fact of his birth he is the son, grandson, and great grandson of princes whether he holds the title of "Prince" or not.

Sigh....there are sooo many beautiful English Royal names out there, and the poor child will already be vulnerable with "Dumbarton" in his title.

But it's done.

Last edited:
"Master" because he is a boy child, when he becomes an adult, then he will be a "Mr." e.g. Mr. Peter Philipps. A girl child would be listed as "Miss" - eg. Miss Isla Philipps.
I think Mbruno asked why the boy isn't styled as a child of a Duke (that he is) - and we don't know the answer to that question. Probably some kind of decision was made and the child won't be styled like that.

No I don't think so either..but in fact of his birth he is the son, grandson, and great grandson of princes whether he holds the title of "Prince" or not.

Sigh....there are sooo many beautiful English Royal names out there, and the poor child will already be vulnerable with "Dumbarton" in his title.

But it's done.

He is still heir apparent to the Dukedom of Sussex

I think Archibald is a fine royal name, the problem with Archie is that it is not a name , but a short nickname for Archibald. They could have named him Archibald just as Harry was named Henry.

In fact I would prefer Prince Archibald Henry of Sussex.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan.

I'm not fond of nicknames as full names as it is, and Archie feels like one of those names that every kid born in the last 5 years has, like how every other kid is called Jack. It's one of those names where you feel as though the parents went "it'll be so cute on a baby and a sweet old grandad!!" but didn't picture him as a 16 year old goth or a 45 year old businessman. (This is not directed at M&H specifically, just these sorts of names in general)

Except, as I've been reminded, if a name is common among a generation then by the time they become surly teens/powerful businessmen/sweet grandpas, there will be a lot of other surly teens/powerful businessmen/sweet grandpas with the same name so it won't seem so odd. What is an "old lady name" today once sounded impossibly trendy and youthful to our great-grandparents.

All I can think of is Archie Manning and Harrison Ford -

?

I like Harrison, it reminds me of Harrison Ford, which I am a fan of. Archie...Well, it's not good nor bad, but I guess it's kinda cute. I think it will grow on me eventually, as it did for Louis (never really liked the Cambridges choice for their 3rd child, but it grew on me over time).

There have been several times before when royal names grew on me when I didn't like them at first, such as Estelle, Oscar, Liam, George, Louis, Savannah, Adrienne. But the one that surprised me the most was Athena of Denmark...

BTW, just a question. It seems that Meghan and Harry want their son to be a private citizen, so that means that we won't get to see the pictures of his christening? Or his 1st birthday pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom