Birth of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor: May 6, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sensible to say that he will not be styled by his curtsey title. Of course the HRH is automatic when Charles takes the throne, but going with the lower key approach makes sense for them and how they want to raise their child.

HRH Prince Archie? Hmmm.

Oh. Maybe that's why. I thought it was an out of nowhere name, but maybe that's just because it's uncommon in US. Glad to see there will be a lot of Archies when this baby goes to school. :lol:

Oh, okay if it is not unusual in the UK. Because it is not common in the US. It would be a nickname for something else. I'll be honest, after first saying it's not my baby, it's not my business, etc.

I don't like the name for a new baby. But if the parents do, that's what matters. And I don't think I have ever seen the Queen and Duke smiling so broadly before. It's good to see.

Edit: I do think it would have been nice to have a family name in there, especially Phillip. Are they so determined to break away from the Royal family? Prince Archie? Or Archie, Earl of Whatever?

Last edited:
I thought it was a joke, but apparently not. A normal name perhaps for a child of London hipster parents, but for a member of the British RF it is an unusual choice. But after all the Noah, Liam, Luana, Zaria, Leah etc. in other RF's it was bound to happen at one point. Let's hope that Archie is at least short for Archibald. We will get used to it soon enough.

A wonderful photo of the Queen and the DoE admiring their new great-grandson. The DoE looks very well. A pity that the photo was in black & white.

Last edited:
Archie Bunker comes to mind ... an Hilarious ignorant Racist. Hmm

What? I’m sorry .... but, NO! Don’t hate me me —- JMHO

Come sit with me. I think it's an awful name for a Royal princeling. I didn't like "Harry" either but Harry's charismatic and charming personality overcame his unfortunate name.

I hope it will be the same with...errmm Archie.:sad:

Sensible to say that he will not be styled by his curtsey title. Of course the HRH is automatic when Charles takes the throne, but going with the lower key approach makes sense for them and how they want to raise their child.

Not getting too far ahead but given the announcement today I'm wagering Archie will never be an HRH. I think the couple will see to that

I thought it was a joke, but apparently not. A normal name perhaps for a child of London hipster parents, but for a member of the British RF it is an unusual choice. But after all the Noah, Liam, Luana, Zaria, Leah etc. in other RF's it was bound to happen at one point. Let's hope that Archie is at least short for Archibald.

A wonderful photo of the Queen and the DoE admiring their new great-grandson. The DoE looks very well. A pity that the photo was in black & white.

In color

Not getting too far ahead but given the announcement today I'm wagering Archie will never be an HRH. I think the couple will see to that

I'm wondering about that, too. As I said earlier, the Sussexes have been very consistent, and avoiding an HRH, (wouldn't new LP's take care of that?) would be completely consistent.

Come sit with me. I think it's an awful name for a Royal princeling. I didn't like "Harry" either but Harry's charismatic and charming personality overcame his unfortunate name.

He may have a Royal parent(s) but I don't think he will ever be Prince Archie.

LaRae

I agree. I think it is pretty clear Harry and Meghan do not want titles.

I'm trying to let the name roll off my tongue. Archie Harrison...Archie Harrison. I'm getting used it. I'm almost wishing that they went with Archbold instead, but alas, it's H&M's choice and we have to live with it.

Definitely getting used to it though.

Oh boy............... I think Archie, and I think of the comic book character (whose name is Archibald.......which name I'm not a fan of). I love the name Harrison, though...

Baby Archie is a cutie pie, though - and I'm so happy for Harry and Meghan!

The same thought coincidentally crossed my mind. The name choice suggests to me that H&M want their children to be private citizens and not HRHs.

Is there any family connection to Archie Harrison.? Maybe a fiormer Prince nicknamed Archie ?

EDIT: BTW, I don’t understand why they are indicating Archie win’t use the courtesy title of Earl of Dumbarton. Even if he doesn’t use the subsidiary title, he is still styled as the son of a Duke in the Peerage of the UK under the 1917 LPs. So shouldn’t he be at least Lord Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor if not Lord Dumbarton ? Why is the BBC saying he will be known only as Master Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor ?

Last edited:
While I'm not a fan of Archie, Archibald would be unfortunate down the line if he takes after his uncle...

Archie Bunker comes to mind ... an Hilarious ignorant Racist. Hmm

Its pretty much a coinky dink but on May 22nd in the States, they're going to revive All in the Family and the Jeffersons for a 90 minute live event. Archie Bunker will be played by Woody Harrelson. That's really what the name Archie Harrison reminded me of.

Then again, I think the chances are much, much better of the news coming out that it was cousin George that suggested the name Archie. As was mentioned earlier, George has told people that "Archie" was his name. :D

The name is already growing on me.

To be honest, when I read the names Archie and Harrison, my imagination goes nuts and shows me pictures of Cary Grant (whose birthname was Archibald Leach) and Harrison Ford enjoying a drink together...
Plus I am not a fan of nicknames for names. Seems incomplete to me.

I agree, I think it's an ugly name. I also have a feeling that the no title at all situation may be to make it easier for them as a family to spend an increasing amount of time in America in the years to come. It's just a hunch but I feel that Meghan's heart is much more in America than in Britain. I can easily see them buying a home there.

I agree. I think it is pretty clear Harry and Meghan do not want titles.

I am just saying its automatic barring new LPs, but I don't think he will ever be styled HRH.

I never saw the point in that. It's weird to me. There's this Youtube/Insta famous couple that named their daughter Genevieve, but will call her Gigi for the rest of her life and I'm just confused as to why you'd give your kid one name, to name her an entirely different one.

But that's an irrelevant discussion. :flowers:

Would you prefer just ARCHIBALD????

Do you know how awkward that would be and sound for the little guy? We are not in the formal 19th century anymore.

I actually like the informality of it. Worry more about Americans who want to 'male it about them' and are already making comments about Harry and Meghan being Riverdale fans. Go to their IG page and look. Sheesh.

British people apparently do not get Riverdale except on Netflix anyway.

Harrison------"Harry's Son." Very appropriate. Overall, I like it. And it fits with his apparent red hair. Maybe Meghan wanted the name to be British-sounding with an American twist. Good for her. :):)

Last edited:
Apparently Archie means "truly brave" in German, so that's where that comes from.......

I think it’s a cute name for a little boy who won’t be a working royal.

Archie – which is a shortened version of the name Archibald – is of German origin, and means 'true, bold, Valuable'. The name was first introduced during the Norman conquest – with the 'bald' part of the longer version, Archibald, also being interpreted as referring to the shaven head of a monk.

Harrison Transferred use of the surname originated in the Middle Ages as a Patronymic meaning "Son of Henry" or "Son of Harry"

Archie Harrison = The True, Bold, and Valuable Son of Harry

Absolutely love the name and think it a very modern choice for this couple. I too, don't believe that Archie will ever be a HRH or even use a subsidiary title. I think the RF in the coming years will be down to just William & Kate and their children and Harry and Meghan without their children.

Sad, really considering how much help the Queen has had over the years with her duties, with her first cousins being a big part of that supporting role.

None of them have the title. It's a way they are addressed. I suppose the baby will be Archie Harrison until the time comes for him to inherit Duke of Sussex title.

It is true he doesn’t have any title now, but he is entitled to use the honorific prefix of Lord as the son of Duke and great-grandson in male line of a monarch. Why is the press assuming he will be only “Master Archie” ?

Absolutely love the name and think it a very modern choice for this couple. I too, don't believe that Archie will ever be a HRH or even use a subsidiary title. I think the RF in the coming years will be down to just William & Kate and their children and Harry and Meghan without their children.

Sad, really considering how much help the Queen has had over the years with her duties, with her first cousins being a big part of that supporting role.

I'd say that if they had been considering it...all the negative hateful things tossed at them pushed them into the 'private life' decision.

LaRae

It is true he doesn’t have any title now, but he is entitled to use the honorific prefix of Lord as the son of Duke and great-grandson in male line of a monarch. Why is the press assuming he will be only “Master Archie” ?

Because even the Royal Family Twitter account omitted any reference to a style/appellation/subsidiary title, so it must be the way it is. The Royal Family social media account are very detailed and precise when it comes to this things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom