Birth of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor: May 6, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it was because of the email system crashing and not being able to alert the media that Harry decided to come out and physically announce the birth of his son. That short interview wasn't ever really on the agenda for the birth of this child. It definitely was an unexpected bonus and gave the media (through SkyNews) something to gush over, report on and actually be a bit more involved in their stories.

Yes, saying she was in labor when she had already had the baby was a lie. I do believe Harry did his interview to put a good face on things, well done.

Seriously, who cares if they didn’t get the info that she was in labor before getting the announcement she had had the baby. I mean they have 3 days of camping out at Windsor to do their stories on the birth. Just grousing to grouse. With social media, they are quickly becoming obsolete.

Seriously...not everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes things happen...email servers crash..people don't follow thru on a simple task....mistakes happen...some people are just not good at their job. IF she went into labor early morning maybe the person who was supposed to let the press know didn't get to work until 8 and by than she had already had the baby, it could be anything.

And I totally agree about social media.

Either way...Congratulations to Harry, Meghan and Baby Sussex! A BOY!

Throughout the entire pregnancy, my first and sole wish to happen at the time of the birth was to be able to see Harry's face after his child was born so I was really over the moon watching that short interview. To me, it surpassed the media getting the information that Meghan was in labor or just a general announcement on Instagram or the easel at BP.

Yeps... that interview was golden. ?

Can you believe we might see him holding his child likely tomorrow?!?! Wonder how that's going to top the euphoria he was feeling right after the birth. :lol:

While the labour announcement was a little misleading in its phrasing it was not a lie. It was past tense.

"The Duchess of Sussex went into labour in the early hours of this morning.
The Duke of Sussex was by Her Royal Highnesses’ side. An announcement will be made soon."

None of that was untrue. The media ran with the headlines "Meghan in labour" because of the awkward phrasing. "An announcement will be made soon" also sounds like they already have something to announce as opposed to just announcing when it happens.

They should have just said baby is here (even just "announcement soon" or something) to give them time to set up for a full announcement and then sent Harry out but it was not a lie.

One question for my UK peeps. I thought UK uses the metric system, but why are all the babies weighed in lbs and oz?

I am so happy for the Sussex little family. I was simply hoping for a healthy baby and a safe delivery for mom. I was looking forward to the family pictures a few days later. TBH I thought at least a better chance of a good baby picture. The lovely surprise was Harry coming out and announcing the birth. It was a delight to watch his joy, utter sense of awe and relief of the birth of their first child.

Seriously, who cares if they didn’t get the info that she was in labor before getting the announcement she had had the baby. I mean they have 3 days of camping out at Windsor to do their stories on the birth. Just grousing to grouse. With social media, they are quickly becoming obsolete.

Absolutely. And I can't say I feel the least bit sad for them. The constant nitpicking and faux outrage surrounding everything Harry and Meghan do is just tiring now. It's no wonder why they feel the need to share less.

Yes, saying she was in labor when she had already had the baby was a lie. I do believe Harry did his interview to put a good face on things, well done.

I think I read that the plan was always for Harry to do the interview, if all went well. And it very much seemed like a Harry thing to do, sharing his joy with the public in his own way.

One question for my UK peeps. I thought UK uses the metric system, but why are all the babies weighed in lbs and oz?

We use imperial measurements a lot actually. Stone, feet, inches, miles - all regularly used over here.

I think most of Europe is all metric, all the time, but the UK uses a mix of metric and Imperial units, depending on what’s being measured.

It's just tradition that we want this measurement in lbs & ozs because then we can compare with our own, our parents, grandparents etc. It's the preferred currency for babies! :) The medical records probably use metric.

Older people use imperial measures for lots of other things even though the measure on the packet or bottle is metric. The younger generation use metric much more & I use metric myself for almost everything - but not for babies!

Looking back at coverage of previous births for comparison, I saw heads up before Kate’s that if things happened in the middle of the night, any announcement of her going into labor would be postponed until the morning. But even then no one seemed to consider that both labor and delivery could happen in the off hours.

I think the timing of the birth, happening as it did before an hour deemed appropriate for sending out alerts, threw them off in terms of how to tell the press that it’s time to take up their stations on the Long Walk without announcing that the baby had already arrived. They could have just said, “go to the Long Walk now,” but who knows what conclusions would have been jumped to it had their not been an explicit bit of messaging referring to a normal birth process. I, for one, would worry that it was an indication of something tragic had they chosen vague wording like that. But they had basically promised to give press time to prepare before announcing, so they couldn’t just say it clearly straight out, either.

And it was complicated by the fact that this time the couple has loved ones on the list of people who should hear the news from them directly before any announcement (a list which surely, for every royal birth, extends past those listed in the announcement to include, for instance, those close enough to be godparents) who live in another hemisphere.

While the labour announcement was a little misleading in its phrasing it was not a lie. It was past tense.

"The Duchess of Sussex went into labour in the early hours of this morning.
The Duke of Sussex was by Her Royal Highnesses’ side. An announcement will be made soon."

None of that was untrue. The media ran with the headlines "Meghan in labour" because of the awkward phrasing. "An announcement will be made soon" also sounds like they already have something to announce as opposed to just announcing when it happens.

They should have just said baby is here (even just "announcement soon" or something) to give them time to set up for a full announcement and then sent Harry out but it was not a lie.

Most the royal press read that and figured she had the baby. They didn't lie. People just didn't ready it carefully. The issue was more timing. Meghan went into labor late at night and had the baby early in the morning.

They meant to send out initial email earlier but a error (which apparently isn't uncommon per the reporters) occurred with the servers so it was delayed.

Honestly, is it really that deep? They all got the footage they wanted. Their deadlines were met. And all the info they want will be revealed soon enough. If the hospital and the Sussexes want privacy then respect it.

If is not your right to know it on your terms.

Most the royal press read that and figured she had the baby. They didn't lie. People just didn't ready it carefully. The issue was more timing. Meghan went into labor late at night and had the baby early in the morning.

They meant to send out initial email earlier but a error (which apparently isn't uncommon per the reporters) occurred with the servers so it was delayed.

Honestly, is it really that deep? They all got the footage they wanted. Their deadlines were met. And all the info they want will be revealed soon enough. If the hospital and the Sussexes want privacy then respect it.

If is not your right to know it on your terms.

I know no one lied and I know they have the right to privacy. I was defending the announcement from others who called it a lie.

I'm late to the party, but I'm very glad that everything went smoothly and that mom and child are good. Harry finally has a little bubba of his own and he couldn't be happier, seeing his face in that short interview/statement was amazing, he was so over the moon!

That sentence "This little thing is absolutely to die for" reminded me of an interview with Ryan Reynolds, in which he was talking about his children and about how he thought he never could love anyone as much as his wife, but the moment his first daughter was born he knew he would use his wife as a living shield to protect their girls... In a very jokingly matter, of course! It's just beautiful to see the parental love in Harry's eyes. I have a feeling he's gonna be a great dad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many congratulations to the couple and their families on the safe arrival of the baby.

Not quite sure why they disingenuously instructed BP to put out an announcement that the Duchess was in labour, many hours after the birth. It was factually incorrect at the point of the announcement.

But it wasn’t really factually incorrect. And I would guess they were still calling people, letting them know the good news, so not ready to announce yet.

[...] it's clear that Prince Charles is very happy for his boy!

Also I have to say, I love Duchess of Cornwall response when she got a onesie for baby Sussex as a gift:
“As soon as we return I will deliver it to them, direct from Germany,” she said. “I’m sure they will be thrilled.”

What's this about Camilla getting a onesie for baby Sussex?!

But it wasn’t really factually incorrect. And I would guess they were still calling people, letting them know the good news, so not ready to announce yet.

You are right, whilst it was not factually incorrect, however it was completely misleading. If timing was the issue, there was no reason whatsoever to put that announcement out, they could have waited to put out the birth announcement when they were ready.

To me this ineptitude, perhaps from inexperience, needs to be addressed swiftly. This is the second bungled communication from the fledgling Sussex team, after the confusing messages previously set out in relation to arrangements around the time and location of birth and the operational notes for the media. It is made particularly bad as it appears that the entire BP machinery is inept, whilst in practice it is just the Sussex Comms team that needs to get its act together.

Reactions: Fem
You are right, whilst it was not factually incorrect, however it was completely misleading. If timing was the issue, there was no reason whatsoever to put that announcement out, they could have waited to put out the birth announcement when they were ready.

To me this ineptitude, perhaps from inexperience, needs to be addressed swiftly. This is the second bungled communication from the fledgling Sussex team, after the confusing messages previously set out in relation to arrangements around the time and location of birth and the operational notes for the media. It is made particularly bad as it appears that the entire BP machinery is inept, whilst in practice it is just the Sussex Comms team that needs to get its act together.

You seem to be missing the fact that they can't give them a heads up without announcing. The media will not wait to speculate on this with any hint unless they know it's just a normal process of birth. It was hardly misleading as most of them guessed that she had given birth when they read the announcement.

This isn't ineptitude. They made a good decision when the timing made it impossible to give a good heads up while she was still in labor. The email situation clearly isn't a Sussex office specific problem. Nor is it their people handling it unless they use exclusive IT people.

But anything to criticize the Sussexes.

Last edited:
Late to the party but happy the baby has been delivered safely and all are well. Harry's interview was nice and a nice touch.

I hope the Queen doesn't create LPs making the baby HRH as I think, looking back at others its better to go without if possible when so far down the line of succession.

I'm sure it was mainly due to the late night/early morning birth but I don't think the e-mail error helped the Sussex's ongoing rough ride with some of the "traditional" media. I don't see why they couldn't have simply announced the birth rather than saying she had gone into labour (technically not a lie at all) when she had already given birth. I don't think it was a big think but for those with chips already on their shoulder its more ammunition and could have been avoided.

Poor Charles just starting a trip overseas so having to wait to see his new grandson. I wonder if Philip was at Windsor for the Order of Merit service in part because it would allow him to see his new great grandson, especially when its reported widely Meghan was overdue.

Last edited:
There have been complaints for years over the communications teams. KP has especially been harshly criticized many times over. The royal reporters have already admitted this is not the first time they failed to get information from the various press offices on time. The server error or whatever it was happened. It sucks for the press they felt rushed but the world still spinning and they still got their papers out on time.

There have been complaints for years over the communications teams. KP has especially been harshly criticized many times over. The royal reporters have already admitted this is not the first time they failed to get information from the various press offices on time. The server error or whatever it was happened. It sucks for the press they felt rushed but the world still spinning and they still got their papers out on time.

The Sussex Comms team is making the KP operation look like a well oiled machine at the moment.

I've a question for those more knowledgeable than I. i've been battling [elsewhere] with someone who insists this baby boy is a 'Prince of Denmark and Greece' through his male line descent from the DoE !

I'm pretty certain that when the DoE became a British subject, he ceased to be a Prince of Greece and Denmark and thus his descendants had no claim to that title either, despite being [technically] 'Oldenburgs' ?

Perhaps others might confirm that ? Thank you.

You seem to be missing the fact that they can't give them a heads up without announcing. The media will not wait to speculate on this with any hint unless they know it's just a normal process of birth. It was hardly misleading as most of them guessed that she had given birth when they read the announcement.

But what did they need to alert the media for? Its not like there was a specific hospital they could go to? Once the announcement came out, the Press could all go to the Long Walk, not that they would see anything there. Also, they are not communicating through the media, they are using Instagram.

This isn't ineptitude. They made a good decision when the timing made it impossible to give a good heads up while she was still in labor. The email situation clearly isn't a Sussex office specific problem. Nor is it their people handling it unless they use exclusive IT people.

So the carefully laid out plan made no allowance for an early morning birth? If that is not amateurish handling of the communications, what is?

I am not criticising H&M, but their Comms team's poor handling of the matter, not once but twice.

I've a question for those more knowledgeable than I. i've been battling [elsewhere] with someone who insists this baby boy is a 'Prince of Denmark and Greece' through his male line descent from the DoE !

I'm pretty certain that when the DoE became a British subject, he ceased to be a Prince of Greece and Denmark and thus his descendants had no claim to that title either, despite being [technically] 'Oldenburgs' ?

I think you are right. The DoE did indeed give up his former titles when he became a British suject. And I think you are correct in that whilst the baby is indeed descended from the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg line.

But what did they need to alert the media for? Its not like there was a specific hospital they could go to? Once the announcement came out, the Press could all go to the Long Walk, not that they would see anything there. Also, they are not communicating through the media, they are using Instagram.

So the carefully laid out plan made no allowance for an early morning birth? If that is not amateurish handling of the communications, what is?

I am not criticising H&M, but their Comms team's poor handling of the matter, not once but twice.

Something has crossed my mind and I am interested on all your views. If there had been a glitch sending out the e mail, allegedly at 1 o clock , why did nobody in the press offices of any of the palaces not notice that nobody was reporting on it. I don't understand why it had taken an hour to notice it had not gone out properly. You would have thought the press office would have the 24 hours news programmes on in their offices to monitor the coverage. Just asking....

With regards the time between birth and announcement could that be to ensure they were back at Frogmore before the press descended on Windsor. If they had announced sooner it risked them being spotted by the press on heightened baby watch. A number of new mums go home with 6 to 8 hours after birth.

Prince Philip gave up his title as a Prince of Greece and Denmark in 1947 shortly before he married Princess Elizabeth. For a brief time before being given the title of Duke of Edinburgh by King George he was simply Naval Lt Philip Mountbatten.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...ame-what-Duke-of-Edinburgh-title-real-surname

I don't see why they couldn't have simply announced the birth rather than saying she had gone into labour (technically not a lie at all) when she had already given birth. I don't think it was a big think but for those with chips already on their shoulder its more ammunition and could have been avoided.

It wouldn’t have made a big difference for print reporters, but announcing without giving a chance to set up in the press pen first would have been a disadvantage to the broadcast folks who need to have a place to do their stand ups. It would have been seen as playing favorites. Richard Palmer, who was in a particularly whiny mood that day, would have been appeased, but all the TV people would have been pissed off.

If hasn’t been clear from some of my past comments, I’m a former reporter. Folks in the press corps get FIERCE about parity for each medium/outlet when it’s a dinky little story that’s bound to get cut to make room for something else. I can only imagine the fur that would fly if they didn’t give broadcast a fighting chance to be ready for a big story like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom