The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
They may have waited to coincide with the American breakfast shows. Gayle King arrived in Britain today.
I doubt that. I think there were lots of phone calls to make and a bit of family time before the public announcement.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Isn't he just Earl of Dumbarton rather than the Earl of Dumbarton? That's still Harry right?

Harry is Prince Henry, The Duke of Sussex and The Earl of Dumbarton (in his own right) while his son is the Earl of Dumbarton (or xxx Mountbatten-Windsor, Earl of Dumbarton, as a courtesy title.) Harry has no surname, because he is a Royal Highness and a Royal Duke, so he doesn't need one (other than the "normal dukes") but his son needs a surname, as he is not a Royal Highness.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I'm a little delirious at this point, and read that as two boys. I was like WHAT?!?!?!

LOL go get some sleep!

LaRae
Old 05-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Lucky for you! I had a very fast delivery of my son and it did damage that still gives me trouble, 17 years later. My doctor has said several times that most women's bodies are made to take a little time with the process, so a rush of a delivery is often...brutal.

Hopefully Meghan's wasn't the brutal kind of fast and she's recovering nicely. If nothing else she surely needs some sleep after laboring in the dark hours!
Ugh, that sounds horrid. I had back labor for several days with things progressing a lot before contractions began. Then things went fast.

Yes, hopefully labor and delivery were uneventful and fairly easy. At least the baby wasn’t too big-that makes things easier too
Old 05-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
I think Earl of Dumbarton is an unfortunate title because he may be called Dummy at school although I don't think that the British have dummy as a derogatory word as in North America.
Or better yet Barty or Dumbo. Should he be called Dumbo, his parents or his granny Doria can read to the young Earl the story of Dumbo, eh. And the young Sussex Earl can hold his head high with pride in sharing this moniker with such a great character!

https://www.bedtimeshortstories.com/...elephant-story
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.r...=0&w=300&h=300
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Q...=0&w=195&h=178

In any case, we still do not know for sure what titles, if any will be bestowed upon their newborn. It's always a possibility (as usual) that Meghan and Harry could surprise us with their choices.

Quote:
According to Richard Palmer

"No signatures of medical staff because the couple don’t want the public to know who attended at the birth"
Most likely to preserve the privacy and anonymity of these medical professionals. That's seemingly a good idea, and perhaps appreciated by the doctors. Surely M&H expect and are equally assured of the same discretion from the doctors.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Or better yet Barty or Dumbo. Should he be called Dumbo, his parents or his granny Doria can read to the young Earl the story of Dumbo, eh. And the young Sussex Earl can hold his head high with pride in sharing this moniker with such a great character!

https://www.bedtimeshortstories.com/...elephant-story
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.r...=0&w=300&h=300
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Q...=0&w=195&h=178

In any case, we still do not know for sure what titles, if any will be bestowed upon their newborn. It's always a possibility (as usual) that Meghan and Harry could surprise us with their choices.
It's not up to Harry and Meghan to decide on titles. They are not the found of honours. The young baby currently goes by Harry's subsidiary title as Harry's eldest son and formally is Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I doubt that. I think there were lots of phone calls to make and a bit of family time before the public announcement.
Right, they needed bonding time with their new baby, as well as the opportunity to telephone their nearest and dearest so those closest to them would hear the news from their lips first, prior to a public announcement.

Reports on the BBC suggest that M&H were not keeping palace officials informed up to the minute either. Apparently, the Sussexes desire to have their own measure of control over how the official announcement was made.

The labor announcement was around 2pm, over eight hours after the baby's birth. And then details came out about another hour later, and shortly after that, Prince Harry came out onto the grounds of Windsor near horse stalls, to declare their happiness. He seemed so thrilled, smiling and rubbing his hands together in sheer delight. It's lovely to see Harry so happy (after all the sadness he's experienced). It was sweet of him to thank everyone who has sent them well wishes and support. Harry even thanked the horses! I wish the Sussexes, granny Doria, and their inner circle great joy during this special time.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post

Most likely to preserve the privacy and anonymity of these medical professionals. That's seemingly a good idea, and perhaps appreciated by the doctors. Surely M&H expect and are equally assured of the same discretion from the doctors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It's not up to Harry and Meghan to decide on titles. They are not the found of honours. The young baby currently goes by Harry's subsidiary title as Harry's eldest son and formally is Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor.
Actually no, the baby is Earl of Dumbarton, not Lord x Mountbatten- Windsor. That would be a second son. Yes, Harry and Meghan will choose his given names but not his title.

Medical professionals are obligated to protect their patients’ privacy, Royal or not.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Majesty

Daily mail is now reporting the baby was born at Portland hospital
Old 05-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Nobility

Niagara Falls will shine blue Monday to mark royal birth

Niagara Falls will be illuminated in 'royal' blue Monday evening to commemorate the birth of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's newborn son. The Niagara Falls Illumination Board will light the falls a shimmering blue between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. tonight.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...blue-1.5125083
Old 05-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Actually no, the baby is Earl of Dumbarton, not Lord x Mountbatten- Windsor. That would be a second son. Yes, Harry and Meghan will choose his given names but not his title.

Medical professionals are obligated to protect their patients’ privacy, Royal or not.
He is not the earl of Dumbarton. Harry himself is. Nonetheless, his oldest son will be known as Earl of Dumbarton (at least for now - as a courtesy title) but technically he is Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor (if I understand all of it correctly). His younger brother (if he will have any) will indeed be and use lord X Mountbatten-Windsor..
Old 05-06-2019, 05:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Daily mail is now reporting the baby was born at Portland hospital
If that is true and Meghan and the baby are back at Windsor, she went in and out of the hospital in an amazingly short time.

EDIT: I just found out that the possible future Jacobite. heir to the thrones of England and Scotland, Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein, was also born at Portland hospital, which is quite interesting.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
He is not the earl of Dumbarton. Harry himself is. Nonetheless, his oldest son will be known as Earl of Dumbarton (at least for now - as a courtesy title) but technically he is Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor (if I understand all of it correctly). His younger brother (if he will have any) will indeed be and use lord X Mountbatten-Windsor..
I think he is xxx Mountbatten-Windsor, Earl of Dumbarton. In conversation, he should be addressed as Lord Dumbarton , not Lord xxx or Lord xxx Mountbatten-Windsor .
Old 05-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Majesty

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted with the news of the birth of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's son today, and look forward to meeting the latest addition to the family."

Via Kensington Palace Instagram
Old 05-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If that is true and Meghan and the baby are back at Windsor, she went in and out of the hospital in an amazingly short time.
No. I think there is a false sense of quickness due to the timing of the announcement. We didn't know until the afternoon that she went into labor in the early hours of morning. She had the baby at sunrise. There is time there. I think some said in UK, they only keep mothers for six hours. I did also wonder if the delayed announcement is to give them time to get home. I also found the Frogmore Cottage word to be a bit odd. But it doesn't matter really.

I'm just happy mom and baby are healthy and relaxing at home. Congrats to the couple for pulling this off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeT View Post
Niagara Falls will shine blue Monday to mark royal birth

Niagara Falls will be illuminated in 'royal' blue Monday evening to commemorate the birth of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's newborn son. The Niagara Falls Illumination Board will light the falls a shimmering blue between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. tonight.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...blue-1.5125083
That's really pretty.

Speaking of Canada, Justin Trudeau also tweeted out a message of congratulations earlier.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just woke up to the wonderful news at long last they have a baby boy. I am very pleased that Prince Harry spoke to the media to give us his thoughts.
Congratulations to the couple over their beautiful bundle of joy. And i look forward to Wednesday when Harry himself said they will release photo's.
An exciting time for Harry and Meghan and to share the news with family and friends.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Oh sure. But again, I will not be surprised about whatever decisions M&H make about how they wish to live their lives and raise their offspring. As this is the way things are done, and Harry has long been accepting and happy about his royal role and status in life after his youthful misgivings, there's probably no doubt he & Meghan will adhere to convention. We've never actually heard it from their lips regarding the issue of titles in any case, despite all of the speculation they might refuse any titles (which I doubt). As it stands, the child will be Earl of Dumbarton. Any other son: Lord Mountbatten-Windsor, and any daughter: Lady Mountbatten-Windsor. I hope they will one day be blessed to have a daughter.

When Charles becomes King, the Sussex offspring are entitled to hold HRH Prince/Princess titles. But we shall see. I don't think the Sussexes want their children to hold royal titles, but we haven't had that confirmed.

Some people (particularly in America) who don't frequent TRF, are quite confused on the issue of British titles, and how royal titles are distinguished from lesser titles. It can be rather complicated to understand.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
No. I think there is a false sense of quickness due to the timing of the announcement. We didn't know until the afternoon that she went into labor in the early hours of morning. She had the baby at sunrise. There is time there. I think some said in UK, they only keep mothers for six hours. I did also wonder if the delayed announcement is to give them time to get home. I also found the Frogmore Cottage word to be a bit odd. But it doesn't matter really.

I'm just happy mom and baby are healthy and relaxing at home. Congrats to the couple for pulling this off.
It is quite common for new mothers to go home within hours plus there is no question she will have plenty of support at home. Like you I am pleased all is well.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I can’t stop watching Harry’s video. His laugh and jump slay me. He so happy. I’m really looking forward to their photo call.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I think he is xxx Mountbatten-Windsor, Earl of Dumbarton. In conversation, he should be addressed as Lord Dumbarton , not Lord xxx or Lord xxx Mountbatten-Windsor .
I fully agree. While he technically is Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor, that doesn't mean that he will be addressed as such. Had Harry not had subsidiary titles he would be known by this name.

Closed Thread