Princess Marie's Lady-in-Waiting

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the link, UserDane! I have been waiting to see when Princess Marie would announce who her LIW would be. What do you know about her? I tried to read the information, but I can't read in Danish (it didn't have anything in English).

You are welcome Sql :)
The annoncement is rather short, basically just what I wrote.

I don't know who Marianne Engel is - but I am sure that BilledBladet will have an feature about her in a day or two ;)

Thank you for your translation! I did a Google search on her, but I was only able to find some links to websites that discuss a fictional character in a novel that has the same name, and a Swiss photographer (maybe it's her).

Princess Marie´s Lady-in-Waiting

It´s Official, Princess Marie´s Laidy in Waiting is Marianne Engel. Also she will be her Privat Secretary
Effective from November 16

Amalienborg, den 29. oktober 2008
Hendes Majestæt Dronningen har i dag udnævnt fru Marianne Engel til hofdame, privatsekretær for Hendes Kongelige Højhed Prinsesse Marie med virkning fra den 16. november 2008.

Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder

Can some Danish Member tell us more about this Lady?

Last edited:
Is that realy necessary? Having a Lady in waiting for Marie? Is she gone to perform sucht important events and so many times??:ermm:

Is that realy necessary? Having a Lady in waiting for Marie? Is she gone to perform sucht important events and so many times??:ermm:

the queen of the netherlands or queen elizabeth both have at least a handful of ladies in waiting and other bunch of supporting staff. are mary's activities that important to have a lady in waiting AND a secretary? i would very much doubt any of the ladies needs ladies in waiting that much. letizia performs twice the activities and doesn't count with personalized staff.

besides, marie just started as a princess. her position may become as important (in terms of quantity and quality of organizations) as alexandra. we just don't know. if the court assigned her a LIW is because they must have something planned for her. both mary and alexandra travelled abroad quite a bit. i guess marie will be in a similar position (obviously, taking into account she is not the crown princess or had all the expectations upon her of being the first princess of denmark in a long time).

i'm glad that marie's trip has been rescheduled (i'm quite interested in finding out who will be the person from the royal house of morocco attending with her... maybe safe to assume it will be one of the lalla's) and she was assigned a lady in waiting. hopefully we will find out more about marianne soon.

Has any additional information about Marie's L-I-W come out? I have been looking for information about who she is (other than her name), what she does, etc, and have not been able to find anything. I am looking forward to learning more about her.

What did she do professionally before the appointment as LIW? Is she a native of Denmark?

I'm sure she's a native Dane, otherwise she would't be of much use to Marie, wouldn't she? Marie is after all just Danish by marriage and a LIW for her should know all the ins and outs of Danish society.

I'm sure she's a native Dane, otherwise she would't be of much use to Marie, wouldn't she? Marie is after all just Danish by marriage and a LIW for her should know all the ins and outs of Danish society.

Not necessarily. Remember CrownPrincess Mary 1st lady in waiting?! She isn´t danish. She is married with a danish aristocrat.
If i'm not mistaken she is american.

I do agree with Sneeuwklokje about the LIW needing to know about the ins and outs of Danish society. However, this could be someone who has lived in Denmark for many years but wasn't born there. As long as the LIW thoroughly understands Danish society, she will be valuable. I definitely think that the LIW should be fluent in Danish.

I do agree with Sneeuwklokje about the LIW needing to know about the ins and outs of Danish society. However, this could be someone who has lived in Denmark for many years but wasn't born there. As long as the LIW thoroughly understands Danish society, she will be valuable. I definitely think that the LIW should be fluent in Danish.

I agreed. Marie 's LIW need to be fluent in Danish. So she can help Marie speak Danish at events. It is wrong to have a Danish princess who cannot speak Danish. Marie should be very embarress at events where she had to thanks the Dames in English or French. That's is just wrong!

Speaking about does Marie need LIW I must say that it's good when Marie have someone whom she can asked help and advice and who can send her in duties. And I think that LIW is somehow traditional and belongs into royal ladies life.

Agnessa, you have made an excellent point. No, Marie is not the crown princess, but she is a royal highness and a representative of the royal family. She definitely should have a LIW, especially since she is so new to this "job". A LIW will be able to help Marie get acclimated to life in Denmark, and she will be able to help her manage her royal duties (when those royal duties start to increase). It would also be nice if her LIW becomes a close friend that she can trust and turn to when she is stressed out or lonely.

Not necessarily. Remember CrownPrincess Mary 1st lady in waiting?! She isn´t danish. She is married with a danish aristocrat.
If i'm not mistaken she is american.

I agreed. Marie 's LIW need to be fluent in Danish. So she can help Marie speak Danish at events. It is wrong to have a Danish princess who cannot speak Danish. Marie should be very embarress at events where she had to thanks the Dames in English or French. That's is just wrong!

There are advantages to having a LIW who is not from Denmark, as the Countess was not (by birth) - the LIW is familiar with the challenges of learning the Danish language, culture etc
I've been through & picked out a couple of relevent posts from the Mary LIW thread - One ; Two

Of course, we dont know anything about this woman yet!!!

Does anyone know if Marie's LIW accompanied her to Morocco? I have been waiting for a mention of it in the Moroccan visit thread, but haven't seen any confirmation yet. There is a woman getting off of the plane with Marie in one of the photos, could this be her?

Marie's LIW will begin on November 16th. I don't think she would have accompanied Marie to Morocco before she actually begins working for the royal house.

Thank you, Jess Rulz. I must have missed the info about her starting date. She probably wouldn't have gone to Morocco before her starting date. Does anyone know if Marie had other royal employees accompany her to Morocco (other than her security) in the role of a LIW?

Thank you for the links! I am so happy to see that she travelled with Marie to Russia. I think that it would be exciting to work for someone who is a new princess. Hopefully, they will be able to become friends.

The press release from the official website:

Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder

It roughly translates to:

New courtier and private secretary to Her Royal Highness Princess Marie
Her Majesty the Queen upon application exempt Marianne Engel, Knight of the Dannebrog, for service as a maid and private secretary to Her Royal Highness Princess Marie, with the end of October 2010.

Her Majesty the Queen has concurrently appointed Britt Siesbye to court lady and private secretary to Her Royal Highness Princess Marie, with effect from 1st November 2010.

Kurt Bache
Chamberlain, Col.
Private Secretary

So what's the difference between being a "maid" and a "court lady" (assuming it's not a cleaning maid)?

It roughly translates to:

New courtier and private secretary to Her Royal Highness Princess Marie
Her Majesty the Queen upon application exempt Marianne Engel, Knight of the Dannebrog, for service as a maid and private secretary to Her Royal Highness Princess Marie, with the end of October 2010.

Her Majesty the Queen has concurrently appointed Britt Siesbye to court lady and private secretary to Her Royal Highness Princess Marie, with effect from 1st November 2010.

Kurt Bache
Chamberlain, Col.
Private Secretary

So what's the difference between being a "maid" and a "court lady" (assuming it's not a cleaning maid)?

Hofdame? That translates litterally as Lady of the Court = Lady in Waiting.

A maid is a paid servant.
A Hofdame = LiW is a person who is requested to aide a royal lady. That's considered an honour - and beforehand also to some degree an obligation. Just as noblemen were obliged to serve their king when needed.
As a private secretary, Britt Siesbye can expect to be paid a salary. But not when serving as a LiW.

Princess Marie and Britt Siesbye are close friends, so she is following the same pattern as Mary. I can't remember about Alexandra's LiW's.

Christine Lyng served as Alexandras private secretary after the divorce. She left somewhen after August 2007, but I don't remember when exactly.

Summary of a note in Billed Bladet #42, 2010.
Veninden bliver ny hofdame - The (female) friend become new lady-in-waiting.
Written by Trine Larsen.

As you know Marianne Engell is no longer Princess Marie's LiW. Instead Britt Siesbye, our Marie's close friend, has become her LiW and private secretary.
Marianne Engell has been LiW for two years and she says: "It has been a couple of lovely years. I have beeen incredibly happy to work for the DRF and especially for the Princess. But now that the Princess has had time to get used to the language and the live in Denmark and know how the royal court works/functions, she will be more busy and (she) is going to get more deeply involved with the jobs/tasks she has. That requires more decisions and meetings in Copenhagen and I no longer think it's that easy, when I live and have a family to take care of in Aarhus". (*)
Marianne Engell has been awarded the Knights Cross for her service.

Friday, Britt Siesbye was appointed LiW and private secretary to Princess Marie by Queen Margrethe. (**) She said: "I was of course very proud and happy for being asked and now I look very much forward to get started. - I see it as a strength and an advantage that we know each other so well".

(*) Aarhus (the spelling will officially change from Århus to Aarhus from the end of 2010) is located in Eastern Jutland. 2½-3 hours from Schackenborg and 3-4 hours from Copenhagen.
Apart from having two children, aged fourteen and sixteen, her husband is a senior manager and that also require some representative duties for her as well.

(**) A LiW, also a LiW for Marie, is serving the Majesty (and her family) as such the official request to serve as a LiW comes from Queen Margrethe.

(*) Aarhus (the spelling will officially change from Århus to Aarhus from the end of 2010) is located in Eastern Jutland. 2½-3 hours from Schackenborg

What car are you driving? That's a two-hour trip MAX!

Anyway, thanks for the story.

Back
Top Bottom